The School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science faculty authors leading research that appears in a wide variety of scientific journals and publications. Select faculty members listed here to see some of their work.
Tara L. Bal
- Ela, Chipkar, Bal, Xie, and Ong. 2021. Lignin-Propiconazole nanocapsules are an effective bio-based wood preservative. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, https://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acssuschemeng.0c07742
- Bal, Schneider, and Richter. 2020. Decay of birdseye sugar maple ( Acer saccharum ) and curly red maple ( Acer rubrum ) figured woods. Wood and Fiber Science , 52(3): 292-297 https://doi.org/10.22382/wfs-2020-027
- Bal, T, Sharik T. 2019. Web content analysis of University forestry and related natural resources landing webpages in the United States in relation to student and faculty diversity. Journal of Forestry doi:10.1093/jofore/fvz024. Read More
- Bal, T, Sharik T. 2019. Image content analysis of US natural resources-related professional society websites with respect to gender and racial/ethnic diversity. Journal of Forestry doi:10.1093/jofore.fvs023. Read More
- Bal, T, Raj, J, Richter, D. 2019. Influence of Chaga ( Inonotus obliquus) treatment of wood in decay tests. Current Research in Environmental & Applied Mycology 9(1): 85-91. Read More
- Cladas, K, Bal, T, Storer, A. 2018. Is success in detection of Agrilus planipennis related to forest edges? Journal of Applied Entomology 143: 214-224 Read More
- Bal, TL, Storer, AJ, Jurgensen, MF. 2018. Evidence of damage from exotic invasive earthworm activity was highly correlated to sugar maple dieback in the Upper Great Lakes region. Biological Invasions 20 (1): 151-164. Read More
- Bal, TL, Storer, AJ, Jurgensen, MF, Doskey, PV, Amacher, MC, 2015. Nutrient stress predisposes and contributes to sugar maple dieback across its northern range: a review. Forestry 88 (1): 64-83. Read More
- Bal, T.L., 2014. Forest Health Detectives. The American Biology Teacher. 76 (8): 532-537 Read More
- Bal, T.L., Richter, D.L,. Storer, A.J., and Jurgensen, M.F. 2013. The relationship of the Sapstreak Fungus, Ceratocystis virescens, to Sugar Maple Dieback and Decay in North Michigan. American Journal of Plant Science 4(2A): 436-443. Read More
- Evaluation of Sugar Maple Dieback in the Upper Great Lakes Region and Development of a Forest Health Youth Education Program. PhD Dissertation. Michigan Technological University. 2013. Read More
- Heppenheimer,E., K. Brzeski, J. Hinton, M. Chamberlain, J. Robinson, R. Wayne, B. vonHoldt. 2020 . A Genome-wide perspective on the persistence of red wolf ancestry in southeastern canids. Journal of Heredity. 111(3), 277-286.
- DeCandia, A. K. Brzeski, E. Heppenheimer, C. Carol, G. Camenisch, P. Wandeler, C. Driscoll, B. vonHoldt. 2019. Urban colonization through multiple genetic lenses: The city-fox phenomenon revisited. Ecology and Evolution. 9(4), 2046-2060.
- Heppenheimer E. *, K. Brzeski*, R. Wooten, W. Waddell, Rutledge, M. Chamberlain, D. Stahler, J. Hinton, B. vonHoldt. 2018. Rediscovery of red wolf ghost alleles in a canid population along the American Gulf Coast. Genes. 9(12):618. *co-lead & corresponding author.
- Heppenheimer,E., K. Brzeski, J. Hinton, B. Patterson, L. Rutledge, A. DeCandia, T. Wheeldon, S. Fain, P. Hohenlohe, R. Kays, B. White, B. vonHoldt. 2018. High genomic diversity and candidate genes under selection associated with range expansion in eastern coyote ( Canis latrans) populations. Ecology and Evolution. 8(24):12641-12655.
- vonHoldt, B., K. Brzeski, D. Wilcove, L. Rutledge. 2018. Redefining the impact of admixture and genomics in endangered species conservation. Conservation Letters. 11(2): e12371.
- Brzeski, K., M. DeBiasse, D. Rabon, M. Chamberlain, S. Taylor. 2016.Mitochondrial DNA variation in Eastern pre-Columbian canids. Journal of Heredity, 107:287-293.
- Brzeski, K., B. Bartel, W. Waddell, K. Wolf, D. Rabon, S. Taylor. 2015.Infectious disease and red wolf conservation: assessment of disease occurrence and associated risks. Journal of Mammalogy, 96:751-761.
- Brzeski, K., D. Rabon, M. Chamberlain, L. Waits, S. Taylor. 2014. Inbreeding and inbreeding depression in endangered red wolves ( Canis rufus). Molecular Ecology, 23:4241–4255.
Andrew J. Burton
- Crowther, T.W., C.W. Rowe, W.R. Wieder, J.C. Carey, M.B. Machmuller, K.E.O. Todd-Brown, L.B. Snoek, S. Fang, G. Zhou, S.D. Allison, J.M. Blair, S.D. Bridgham, A.J. Burton, et al. 2016. Quantifying global soil C losses in response to warming. Nature 540:104-108. Read More
- Carey, J.C., J. Tang, P.H. Templer, K.D. Kroeger, T.W. Crowther, A.J. Burton, J.S. Dukes, B. Emmett, S. Frey, et al. 2016. Temperature response of soil respiration largely unaltered with experimental warming. Proceedings National Academy of Sciences 113:13797-13802. Read More
- Ebanyenle, E., A.J. Burton, A.J. Storer, D.L. Richter, J.A. Glaeser. 2016. Elevated tropospheric CO2 and O3 may not alter initial wood decomposition rate or wood-decaying fungal community composition of northern hardwoods. International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation 111:74-77. Read More
- Ibanez, I., D. Zak, A.J. Burton, K. Pregtizer. 2016. Chronic nitrogen deposition alters allometric relationships in a dominant tree species: Implications for woody biomass production and ecosystem carbon storage. Ecological Applications 26:913-925. Read More
- Gahagan, A., C.P. Giardina, J.S. King, D. Binkley, K.S. Pregitzer, and A.J. Burton. 2015. Carbon fluxes, storage and harvest removals through 60 years of stand development in red pine plantations and mixed hardwood stands in Northern Michigan, USA. Forest Ecology and Management 337:88-97. Read More
- Frey, S.D., S. Ollinger, K. Nadelhoffer, R. Bowden, E. Brzostek, A. Burton, B.A. Caldwell, S. Crow, C.L. Goodale, A.S. Grandy, A. Finzi, M.G. Kramer, K. Lajtha, J. LeMoine, M. Martin, W.H. McDowell, R. Minocha, J.J. Sadowsky, P.H. Templer, and K. Wickings. 2014. Chronic nitrogen additions suppress decomposition and sequester soil carbon in temperate forests. Biogeochemistry 121:305-316. Read More
- Kaarakka, L., P. Tamminen, A. Saarsalmi, M. Kukkola, H.S. Helmisaari, and A.J. Burton. 2014. Effects of repeated whole-tree harvesting on soil properties and tree growth in a Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.) stand. Forest Ecology and Management 313:180-187. Read More
- Talhelm, A.F., K.S. Pregitzer, M.E. Kubiske, D.R. Zak, C.E. Campany, A.J. Burton, R.E. Dickson, G.R. Hendrey, J.G. Isebrands, K.F. Lewin, J. Nagy, and D.F. Karnosky. 2014. Elevated carbon dioxide and ozone alter productivity and carbon storage in northern temperate forests. Global Change Biology 20:2492-2504. Read More
- Jarvi, M.P., and A.J. Burton. 2013. Acclimation and soil moisture constrain sugar maple root respiration in experimentally warmed soil. Tree Physiology 33:949-959. Read More
- Burton, A.J., J.C. Jarvey, M.P, Jarvi, D.R. Zak, and K.S. Pregitzer. 2012. Chronic N deposition alters root respiration-tissue N relationship in northern hardwood forests. Global Change Biology 18:258-266. Read More
Azeez A, Busov V (2020) CRISPR/Cas9-mediated single and biallelic knockout of poplar STERILE APETALA (PopSAP) leads to complete reproductive sterility. Plant biotechnology journal. doi:10.1111/pbi.13451
Rauschendorfer J, Yordanov Y, Dobrev P, Vankova R, Sykes R, Kulheim C, Busov V (2020) Overexpression of a developing xylem cDNA library in transgenic poplar generates high mutation rate specific to wood formation. Plant biotechnology journal 18 (6):1434-1443
Busov VB (2019) Plant Development: Dual Roles of Poplar SVL in Vegetative Bud Dormancy. Current Biology 29 (2):R68-R70. doi:10.1016/j.cub.2018.11.061
Singh RK, Maurya JP, Azeez A, Miskolczi P, Tylewicz S, Stojkovic K, Delhomme N, Busov V, Bhalerao RP (2018) A genetic network mediating the control of bud break in hybrid aspen. Nature Communications 9
Yordanov YS, Ma C, Yordanova E, Meilan R, Strauss SH, Busov VB (2017) BIG LEAF is a regulator of organ size and adventitious root formation in poplar. PloS one 12 (7):e0180527. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0180527
Molly A. Cavaleri
- Kennard D, Matlaga D, Joanne S, Clay K, Alonso-Rodriguez Aura, Reed SC, Cavaleri MA, and Wood TE. In press. Tropical understory herbaceous community responds more strongly to hurricane disturbance than to experimental warming. Ecology and Evolution.
- Reed SC, Reibold R, Cavaleri MA, Alonso-Rodríguez AM, Berberich ME, Wood TE. (2020). Soil biogeochemical responses of a tropical forest to warming and hurricane disturbance. Advances in Ecological Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.aecr.2020.01.007
- Kramer R*, Ishii, HR, Carter KR, Miyazaki Y, Cavaleri MA, Araki M, Azuma W, Inoue Y, and Hara C. (2020). Predicting effects of climate change on productivity and persistence of forest trees. Ecological Reviews. https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1703.12127
- Benedicte B, Alonso-Rodríguez AM, Aldrich-Wolfe L, Cavaleri MA, Reed SC, Wood TE. (2020). Altered climate leads to positive density-dependent feedbacks in a tropical rainforest. Global Change Biology. https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.15087
- Kumarathunge DP*, Medlyn BE, Drake JE, Tjoelker MG, Aspinwall MJ, Battaglia M, Cano FJ, Carter KR*, Cavaleri MA, Cernusak LA, Chambers JQ, Crous KY, De Kauwe MG, Dillaway DN, Dreyer E, Ellsworth DS, Ghannoum O, Han Q, Hikosaka K, Jensen AM, Kelly JWG, Kruger EL, Mercado LM, Onoda Y, Reich PB, Rogers A, Slot M, Smith N, Tarvainen L, Tissue DT, Togashi HF, Tribuzy ES, Uddling J, Vårhammar A, Wallin G, Warren JM and Way DA (2019) Acclimation and adaptation components of the temperature dependence of plant photosynthesis at the global scale. New Phytologist, 222: 768-784. https://doi.org/10.1111/nph.15668
- Wood TE, González G, Silver WL, Reed SC, and Cavaleri MA (2019) On the Shoulders of Giants: Continuing the Legacy of Large-Scale Ecosystem Manipulation Experiments in Puerto Rico. Forests, 10: 210. https://doi.org/10.3390/f10030210
- Wood TE, Cavaleri MA, Giardina G, Khan S, Mohan JE, Nottingham A, Reed SC and Slot M. (2019) Soil warming effects on low-latitude forests with highly-weathered soils. In JE Mohan (Ed.), Ecosystem Consequences of Soil Warming: Microbes, Vegetation, Fauna, and Soil Biogeochemistry (pp. 385-439). London, UK: Academic Press, Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-813493-1.00015-6
Rodney A. Chimner
- Chimner, R.A. Sidebar 7.2: Cedar Swamp Restoration in Northern White-Cedar, The Tree of Life, by Gerald L. Storm and Laura S. Kenefic. In Press. Wednesday, May 27, 2020
- Kolka, R., C. Trettin, W. Tang, K. Krauss, S. Bansal, J. Drexler, K. Wickland, R. Chimner, D. Hogan, E. J. Pindilli, B. Benscoter, B. Tangen, E. Kane, S. Bridgham, and C. Richardson, 2018: Chapter 13: Terrestrial wetlands. In Second State of the Carbon Cycle Report (SOCCR2): A Sustained Assessment Report [Cavallaro, N., G. Shrestha, R. Birdsey, M. A. Mayes, R. G. Najjar, S. C. Reed, P. Romero-Lankao, and Z. Zhu (eds.)]. U.S. Global Change Research Program, Washington, DC, USA, pp. 507-567, https://doi.org/10.7930/ SOCCR2. 2018. Ch13.
- Bourgeau‐Chavez, L.L., Endres, S.L., Graham, J.A., Hribljan, J.A., Chimner, R.A., Lilleskov, E.A., Battaglia, M.J. 2017. Mapping peatlands in boreal and tropical ecoregions. Chapter in: Comprehensive Remote Sensing, Elsevier.
- Hribljan, J.A. and Chimner, R.A. Mountain peatland formation and carbon cycling in the tropical Andes. Chapter in: Bofedales Alto-Andinoa de Bolivia, The Nature Conservancy, in press.
- Wickland K.P. Krusche A.V. (Coordinating Lead Authors), Kolka R.K., Kishimoto-Mo A.W., Chimner R.A. and Serengil Y. (Lead-authors), Ogle S. and Srivastava N. (Contributing Authors) of the IPCC Chapter 5 “Inland Wetland Mineral Soils” for the IPCC 2013 Supplement to the 2006 IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories: Wetlands. Hiraishi, T., Krug, T., Tanabe, K., Srivastava, N., Baasansuren, J., Fukuda, M., and Troxler, T.G. (eds). 2014. Published: IPCC, Switzerland. 354 pp.
- Cooper D.J., R.A. Chimner, and D.M. Merritt. 2012. Western Mountain Wetlands. In: Wetland Habitats of North America: Ecology and Conservation Concerns (eds: Batzer D. and Baldwin A.). University of California Press.
- Chimner, R.A. and D.J. Cooper. 2011. Fens of the San Juan Mountains. In the Eastern San Juan Mountains, Colorado: Geology, Ecology, and Human History. Edited by Rob Blair.
- Hupperts, S. F.*, Webster, C. R., Froese, R. E., Lilleskov, E., Marcarelli, A. and Dickinson, Y.L. (2020) Increasing ground-layer plant taxonomic diversity masks declining phylogenetic diversity along a silvicultural disturbance gradient. Canadian Journal of Forest Research.
- Hupperts, S. F.*, Webster, C. R., Froese, R. E., and Dickinson, Y.L. (2020). Seedling and sapling recruitment following novel silvicultural treatments in Great Lakes northern hardwoods. Forest Ecology and Management 462: 117983.
- Vickers, L.A., McWilliams, W.H., Knapp, B.O., D’Amato, A.W., Dey, D.C., Dickinson, Y.L., Kabrick, J.M., Kenefic, L.S., Royo, A.A., Saunders, M.R., Shifley, S.R. and Westfall, M.R., (2019) Are current seedling demographics poised to regenerate northern US forests? Journal of Forestry fvz046: 1–21
- Dickinson, Y.L., Battaglia, M.A. and Asherin, L. (2019) Evaluation of the GENGYM diameter growth model and potential modifications in structurally-complex ponderosa pine ( Pinus ponderosa Douglas ex C. Lawson) forests. Journal of Forest Ecology 448: 1–10
- Dickinson, Y.L., Wang, X., Wiedenbeck, J. and Ross, R.J. (2019) Effects of silvicultural practices on engineering properties of northern hardwood species of the Great Lakes region — A Literature Review. General Technical Report FPL-GTR-269. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 17p.
- Addington, R.N., Aplet, G.H., Battaglia, M.A., Briggs, J.S., Brown, P.M., Cheng, T.S., Dickinson, Y., Feinstein, J.A., Fornwalt, P.J., Gannon, B., Julian, C., Pelz, K.A., Regan, C.M., Thinnes, J., Truex, R., Underhill, J. and Wolk, B. (2018) Principles and practices for the restoration of ponderosa pine and dry mixed-conifer forests of the Colorado Front Range .Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-372. Ft Collins, CO. US Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 121p.
- Fahey, R.T., Alveshere, B., Burton, J.I., D’Amato, A., Dickinson, Y.L., Keeton, W.S., Kern, C.C., Larson, A.J., Palik, B.J., Puettmann, K.J., Saunders, M.R., Webster, C.R., Atkins, J.W., Gough. C.M., Hardiman, B.S. (2018) Shifting conceptions of complexity in forest management and silviculture. Forest Ecology and Management. 421:59–71
David J. Flaspohler
- Haskell, D. D.J. Flaspohler, C. Webster, and M. Meyer. 2010 (accepted, in press). Variation in soil temperature, moisture, and plant growth with the addition of down woody material on lakeshore restoration sites. Restoration Ecology.
- Webster, C.R., D.J. Flaspohler, R.D. Jackson, T. Meehan, C. Gratton. 2010 (accepted, in press). Diversity, productivity and landscape-level effects of grasslands managed for biomass production. Biofuels.
- Ford, M. and D. Flaspohler. 2010 (accepted, in press). Scale-dependent response by breeding songbirds to residential development along Lake Superior. Wilson Bulletin of Ornithology.
- Flaspohler, D., C. Giardina, G. Asner, P. Hart, J. Price, C. Ka’apu, and X. Castaneda. 2010. Long-term effects of fragmentation and fragment properties on bird species richness in Hawaiian forests. Biological Conservation 143:280-288.
- Fargione, J.E., T.R. Cooper, D.J. Flaspohler, J. Hill, C.L. Lehman, T. McCoy, S. McLeod, E. J. Nelson, K. S. Oberhauser, and D. Tilman. 2009. Bioenergy and wildlife: Threats and opportunities for grassland conservation. BioScience 59(9):767-778.
- Holmes, S., C. Webster, D. Flaspohler and R. Froese. 2009. Death and Taxus: the cost of high palatability in an era of population decline. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 39:1366-1374.
- Corace, R.G., III, D.J. Flaspohler, L.M. Shartell. 2009. Geographic patterns in openland cover and hayfield mowing in the Upper Great Lakes region: implications for grassland bird conservation. Landscape Ecology 24:309-324.
Robert E. Froese
- Banskota, A., N. Kayastha, M.J. Falkowski, M.A. Wulder, R.E. Froese and J.C. White. 2015. Forest monitoring using Landsat time-series data – A review. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing 40:362-384. Read More
- Vance, E.D., W.M. Aust, R.E. Froese, R.B. Harrison, L.A. Morris and B.D. Strahm. 2014. Biomass harvesting and soil productivity: is the science meeting our policy needs? Soil Science Society of America Journal 78:S95-S104.
- Pond, N.C., R.E. Froese, R.K. Deo and M.J. Falkowksi. 2014. Multiscale validation of an operational model of forest inventory attributes developed with constrained remote sensing data. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing 40:51-67. Read More
- Pond, N.C., R.E. Froese and L.M. Nagel. 2014. Sustainability of the selection system in northern hardwood forests. Forest Science 60(2):374:381. Read More
- Pond, N.C. and R.E. Froese. 2014. Evaluating published approaches for modelling diameter at breast height from stump dimensions. Forestry 87(5):683-696. Read More
- Brosofske, K.D., R.E. Froese, M.J. Falkowski and A. Banskota. 2014. A review of methods for mapping and prediction of inventory attributes for operational forest management. Forest Science 60(4):733-756. Read More
- Witt, J.C., C.R. Webster, R.E. Froese, T.D. Drummer and J.A. Vucetich. 2012. Scale-dependent drivers of ungulate patch use along a temporal and spatial gradient of snow depth. Canadian Journal of Zoology. 90: 972-83. Read More
- Barnes, D., R.E. Froese, R.G. Mannes and B. Warner. 2011. Combined sustainable biomass feedstock combustion, CO2/EOR, and saline reservoir geological carbon sequestration in Northern Lower Michigan, USA: towards negative CO2 emissions. Energy Procedia 4:2955-2962. Read More
- Froese, R.E., D.R. Shonnard, C.A. Miller, K.P. Koers and D.M. Johnson. 2010. Greenhouse gas emissions from coal-fired power plants in the US Great Lakes States. Biomass & Bioenergy 34(3): 251-262. Read More
- Pokharel, B and R.E. Froese. 2009. Representing site productivity in the basal area increment model for FVS-Ontario. Forest Ecology and Management 258: 657-666.
- Holmes, S.A., Webster, C.R., Flaspohler, D.J., and R.E. Froese. 2009. Death and Taxus: the cost of high palatability in an era of population decline. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 39: 1366-1374.
- Johnson, D.M, R.E. Froese, J. Waterstraut, A. Martin-Garcia J.H. Whitmarsh and C.A. Miller. 2009. Business viability of biomass co-firing and gasification for electricity generation. International Journal of Environmental Engineering 1: 405-431.
- Webster, C.R., J.H. Rock, R.E. Froese and M.A. Jenkins. 2008. Drought-herbivory interaction disrupts competitive displacement of native plants by Microstegium vimineum, 10 year results. Oecologia 157: 497-508.
- Pokharel, B. and R.E. Froese. 2008. Evaluating alternative implementations of the Lake States FVS diameter increment model. Forest Ecology and Management 255(5-6): 1759-1771.
- Froese, R.E. and A.P. Robinson. 2007. A validation and evaluation of the Prognosis individual-tree basal area increment model. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 37: 1438-1449.
- Robinson, A.P. and R.E. Froese. 2004. Model validation using equivalence tests. Ecological Modelling 176: 349-358.
- Halvorsen, K.E., C. Schelly, R. Handler, E.C. Pischke, and J.L. Knowlton (eds). 2019. A Research Agenda for Environmental Management. Edward Elgar Publishing: Cheltenham, UK.
- Halvorsen, K.E., Jessie L. Knowlton, Robert M. Handler, Chelsea Schelly and Erin C. Pischke. ‘Integrating across sectors and disciplines: transdisciplinary teamwork challenges and strategies.’ 2019. In K.E. Halvorsen, C. Schelly, R. Handler, E.C. Pischke, and J.L. Knowlton (eds). A Research Agenda for Environmental Management. Edward Elgar Publishing: Cheltenham, UK.
- Dunn, J.L, Jessie L. Knowlton, Robert M. Handler, Erin C. Pischke, K. E. Halvorsen, M. Azahara Mesa-Jurado, Theresa L. Selfa, David J. Flaspohler, Julian Licata, Ena E. Mata-Zayas, Rodrigo Medeiros, Cassandra Moseley, Erik A. Nielsen, Valentin D Picasso Risso, Julio C. Sacramento-Rivero, Tatiana de Souza, Cesar J. Vazquez Navarrete and Nathan Basiliko. 2019. ‘Lessons from the transdisciplinary, international BIOPIRE project.’ In K.E. Halvorsen, C. Schelly, R. Handler, E.C. Pischke, and J.L. Knowlton (eds). A Research Agenda for Environmental Management. Edward Elgar Publishing: Cheltenham, UK.
- Pischke, E.C., M. A. Mesa-Jurado, A. Eastmond, J. Abrams, K. E. Halvorsen. Community Perceptions of Climate Change and Adaptation Strategies in Tabasco, Mexico. 2018. Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences 8(4)441-451. DOI: 10.1007/s13412-018-0493-6.
- Kozich, A.T., K.E. Halvorsen, and A.S. Mayer. 2018. Perspectives on Water Resources among Anishinaabe and Non-Native Residents of the Great Lakes Region. Journal of Contemporary Water Research and Education 163(April)94-108.
- Auer, M.T., Auer, N.A., Barkdoll, B.B., Bornhorst, T.J., Brooks, C., Dempsey, D., Doskey, P.V., Green, S.A., Hyslop, M.D., Kerfoot, W.K., Mayer, A.S., Perlinger, J.A., Shuchman, R., Urban, N.R. and Watkins, Jr., D.W. 2012. The Great Lakes: Foundations of Physics, Hydrology, Water Chemistry, and Biodiversity. In, J. Schnoor (ed.), Water Quality and Sustainability, Elsevier Publishers, London.
- Auer, M.T., Auer, N.A., Barkdoll, B.B., Bornhorst, T.J., Brooks, C., Dempsey, D., Doskey, P.V., Green, S.A., Hyslop, M.D., Kerfoot, W.K., Mayer, A.S., Perlinger, J.A., Shuchman, R., Urban, N.R. and Watkins, Jr., D.W. 2012. The Great Lakes: Nutrients, Sediments, Persistent Pollutants, and Policy Perspectives for a Sustainable Future. In, J. Schnoor (ed.), Water Quality and Sustainability, Elsevier Publishers, London.
- Hyslop, M.D., A.J. Storer, S. Brodeur-Campbell and J. Metzger. 2009. Michigan Ash Monitoring Plot System Upper Peninsula Plot Atlas. School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI.
- Storer, A.J., M.D. Hyslop, N.D. Windmuller, J.C. Witter, J. Stoyenoff. 2009. Southeastern Michigan Recreation Site Ash Survey Maps. School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI.
- Hyslop, M.D., A.J. Storer and J. Oisten. 2009. Upper Peninsula Recreation Site Ash Survey Maps. School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI.
- Storer A.J., M.F. Jurgensen, A.C. Risch, J. Delisle and M.D. Hyslop. 2008. The fate of an intentional introduction of Formica lugubris to North America from Europe. Journal of Applied Entomology 2008 132:4 276.
- Risch, A.C., M.F. Jurgensen, A.J. Storer, M.D. Hyslop and M. Schutz. 2008. Abundance and distribution of organic mound-building ants of the Formica rufa-group in Yellowstone National Park. Journal of Applied Entomology 2008 132:4 326.
- Froese, R.E., M.D. Hyslop, C.A. Miller, B. Garmon, H. McDiarmid, Jr., A. Shaw, L. Leefers, M. Lorenzo, S. Brown and M. Shy. 2007. Large-tract Forestland Ownership Change: Land Use, Conservation, and Prosperity in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. National Wildlife Federation, Ann Arbor, MI.
Chandrashekhar P. Joshi
- Shashank K. Pandey, Nookaraju Akula, Takeshi Fujino, Sivakumar Pattathil, and Chandrashekhar P. Joshi* (2016) Virus Induced Gene Silencing (VIGS) Mediated Functional Characterization of Two Genes Involved in Lignocellulosic Secondary Cell Wall Formation. Plant Cell Reports, 35:2353-2367.
- Puranik Swati, Kavitha S. Kumar, Oliver Gailing and Chandrashekhar P. Joshi* (2014) Modifying plant cell walls for bioenergy production. CAB Reviews 9, 017, pp 1-10.
- Nookaraju Akula, Shashank K. Pandey, Takeshi Fujino, Ju Young Kim, Mi Chung Suh, and Chandrashekhar P. Joshi* (2014) Enhanced Accumulation of Fatty Acids and Triacylglycerols in Transgenic Tobacco Stems for Enhanced Bioenergy Production. Plant Cell Reports 33 (7) 1041-1052.
- Sera Jung, Dae-Seok Lee, Yeon-Ok Kim, Chandrashekhar P. Joshi, and Hyeun-Jong Bae (2013) Improved recombinant cellulase expression in chloroplast of tobacco through promoter engineering and 5′ amplification promoting sequence. Plant Molecular Biology 83: 317–328. Published online in June 2013. DOI 10.1007/s11103-013-0088-2.
- Nookaraju A, Pandey SP, Bae HJ and Joshi CP* (2013) Designing cell walls for better bioenergy production. Molecular Plant 6 (1):8-10. doi: 10.1093/mp/sss111 First published online: October 5, 2012.
- Liu Y, Xu F, Gou J, Al-Haddad J, Telewski FW, Bae HJ and C. P. Joshi* (2012) Importance of Two Consecutive Methionines at the N-terminus of a Cellulose Synthase (PtdCesA8) for Normal Wood Cellulose Synthesis in Transgenic Aspen. Tree Physiology 32(11): 1403-1412 first published online October 17, 2012
- Chandrashekhar P. Joshi*, Shivegowda Thammannagowda, Takeshi Fujino, Jiqing Gou, Utku Avci, Candace H. Haigler, Lisa M. McDonnell, Shawn D. Mansfield, Bemnet Menghesa, Nicholas C. Carpita, Darby Harris, Seth DeBolt and Gary F. Peter (2011) Perturbation of wood cellulose synthesis causes pleiotropic effects in transgenic aspen. Molecular Plant 4(2) 331-345.
- Zhu X, Pattahil S, Mazumdar K, Brehm A, Hahn MG. Dinesh-Kumar SP and C. P. Joshi* (2010) Virus-induced gene silencing offers a functional genomics platform for studying plant cell wall formation. Molecular Plant 3 (5): 818-833.
- Fuyu Xu and Chandrashekhar P. Joshi* (2010) Overexpression of Aspen Sucrose Synthase Gene Promotes Growth and Development of Transgenic Arabidopsis Plants. Advances in Biosciences and Biotechnology 1: 426-438.
- Manoj Kumar, Shivegowda Thammannagowda, Vincent Bulone, Vincent Chiang, Kyung-Hwan Han, Chandrashekhar P. Joshi, Shawn D. Mansfield, Ewa Mellerowicz, Björn Sundberg, Tuula Teeri, and Brian E. Ellis. An update on the nomenclature for the cellulose synthases genes from Populus. Trends in Plant Science 14(5):248-254, 2009.
- Shanfa Lu, Laigeng Li, Xiaoping Yi, Chandrashekhar P. Joshi, and Vincent L. Chiang: Differential expression of three eucalyptus secondary cell wall- related cellulose synthase genes in response to tension stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 681-695, 2008.
- (Invited presentation) C.P. Joshi: Genetic engineering of poplars for biofuel production via altered synthesis of cellulose. Presented at Tree Biotechnology meeting at Whistler, BC, Canada during June 28-July 2, 2009.
- C. P. Joshi, Brunner A, Busov V, Meilan R, Thammanagowda S, Tsai C.: Poplars. In: Compendium of transgenic crop plants: Transgenic forest tree species. C. Kole and T. Hall (Eds). Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK. PP 1-34. 2008.
- C.P. Joshi* and S.D. Mansfield: The cellulose paradox: simple molecule, complex biosynthesis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology. 10: 220-226, 2007.
Martin F. Jurgensen
Jurgensen, M.F., Miller, C.A., Trettin, C.T., Page-Dumroese, D.S. 2019. Bedding of wetland soil: Effects of bed height and termite activity on wood decomposition. Soil Science Society America Journal doi:10.2136/sssaj2018.12.0492
- Wang, W., Page-Dumroese, D., Jurgensen,, M.F., Miller, C., Walitalo, J., Chen, X., Liu, Y. 2019. Thinning effects on tree growth and decomposition of standard wood substrates in a pine plantation. Forest Ecology and Management 449:117451 OI:0.1016/j.foreco.2019.117451
- Page-Dumroese, D.S., Jurgensen, M.F., Miller, C.A., Pickens, J., Tirocke, J.M. 2019. Wildfire alters belowground and surface wood decomposition on two national forests in Montana, USA. International Journal of Wildland Fire 28: 456–469. doi.org/10.1071/WF18218
- Wang, W., Page-Dumroese, D., Jurgensen, M., Tirocke, J., and Y. Liu. 2018. Effects of forest thinning and wood quality on the short-term wood decomposition rate in a Pinus tabuliformis plantation. Journal of Plant Research: doi.org/10.1007/s10265-018-1069-y
- Powers, M., Kolka, R., Bradford, J., Palik, B., Jurgensen, M. 2018. Forest floor and mineral soil respiration rates in a northern Minnesota red pine chronosequence. Forests: 9(1), 16.
- Blanco, J.A., Page-Dumroese, D.S., Jurgensen, M.F., Curran, M., Tirocke, J., Walitalo, J. 2018. Modelling the management of forest ecosystems: importance of wood decomposition. Natural Resource Modeling: DOI: 10.1111/nrm.12173.
- Bal, T.L., Storer, A.J., Jurgensen, M.F. 2018. Evidence of damage from exotic invasive earthworm activity was highly correlated to sugar maple dieback in the Upper Great Lakes region. Biological Invasions 20:151–164.
- Mosier, S.L., Kane, E.S., Richter, D.L., Lilleskov, E.A., Jurgensen, M.F., Burton, A.J., and S.C. Resh. 2017. Interactive effects of climate change and fungal communities on wood-derived carbon in forest soils. Soil Biol. Biochem. 115: 297- 309.
- Jurgensen, M.F., Page-Dumroese, D.S., Brown, R.E., Tirocke, J.M., Miller, C.A., Pickens, J.B., Wang, M. 2017. Estimating carbon and nitrogen pools in a forest soil: influence of soil bulk density methods and rock content. Soil Science Society America Journal 81:1689 - 1696.
- Acet, M., Jurgensen, M.F., Kane, E., Gailing, O. 2017. Genet diversity, genetic structure, and trait expression of trembling aspen (Populus tremuloides Michx.) after clear-cut harvesting and post-harvest soil treatments. Botany 95: 785 – 798.
- Fissore, C., Jurgensen, M.F., Pickens, J, Miller, C,, Page-Dumroese, D., Giardina, C.P. 2016. Role of soil texture, clay mineralogy, location, and temperature in coarse wood decomposition—a mesocosm experiment. Ecosphere 7(11):e01605. 10.1002/ecs2.1605
- Fresher, K.N., Jurgensen, M.F. Gailing, O. 2016. Comparison of phenotypic and genetic clone delineation in quaking aspen, Populus tremuloides. Trees 30:1657–1667.
Evan S. Kane
- Euskirchen ES, Kane ES, Edgar CW, Turetsky MR. 2020. When the Source of Flooding Matters: Divergent Responses in Carbon Fluxes in an Alaskan Rich Fen to Two Types of Inundation. Ecosystems, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10021-019-00460-z.
- Kane ES, *Veverica TJ, Tfaily MM, Lilleskov EA, *Meingast KM, Kolka RK, *Daniels AL, Chimner RA. 2019. Reduction-oxidation potential and dissolved organic matter composition in northern peat soil: interactive controls of water table position and plant functional groups. Journal of Geophysical Research- Biogeosciences, https://doi.org/10.1029/2019JG005339.
- *Rupp DR, Kane ES, Dieleman C, Keller JK, Turetsky MR. 2019. Plant functional group effects on peat carbon cycling in a boreal rich fen. Biogeochemistry, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10533-019-00590-5.
- *McPartland MY, Falkowski MJ, Reinhardt JR, Kane ES, Kolka R, Turetsky MR, Douglas TA, Anderson J, Edwards JD, Palik B, Montgomery RA. 2019. Characterizing Boreal Peatland Plant Composition and Species Diversity with Hyperspectral Remote Sensing. Remote Sensing. doi:10.3390/rs11141685.
- Haynes KM, Kane ES, Potvin L, Lilleskov E, Kolka RK, Mitchell CPJ. 2019. Impacts of experimental alteration of water table regime and vascular plant community composition on peat mercury profiles and methylmercury production. Science of the Total Environment, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.05.072.
- *Coble AA, Marcarelli AM, Kane ES. 2019. Year-round measurements reveal seasonal drivers of nutrient uptake in a snowmelt-driven headwater stream. Freshwater Science, DOI: 10.1086/701733.
- Herndon EM, Kinsman‐Costello L, Duroe KA, Mills J, Kane ES, Sebestyen SD, Thompson AA, Wullschleger SD. 2019. Iron (oxyhydr)oxides serve as phosphate traps in tundra and boreal peat soils. Journal of Geophysical Research- Biogeosciences. doi.org/10.1029/2018JG004776.
- Orr AJ, Padovan A, Kainer D, Külheim C, Bromham L, Bustos-Segura C, Foley WJ, Haff T, Hsieh J-F, Morales-Suarez A, Cartwright RA, Lanfear R (2020) A phylogenomic approach reveals a low somatic mutation rate in a long-lived plant. Proceeding of the Royal Society B 287: 20192364 [Journal Impact Factor: 4.85]
- Rauschendorfer J, Yordanov Y, Dobrev P, Vankova R, Sykes R, Külheim C, Busov V (2020) Overexpression of a developing xylem cDNA library in transgenic poplar generates high mutation rate specific to wood formation. Plant Biotechnology Journal 18: 1434-1443 https://doi.org/10.1111/pbi.13309 [Journal Impact Factor: 6.84]
- Marsh KJ, Wallis IR, Külheim C, Clark R, Nicolle D, Foley WJ, Salminen J-P (2020) New approaches to tannin analysis of leaves explain biological activity associated with herbivore defence. New Phytologist 225: 488-498 https://doi.org/10.1111/nph.16117 [Journal impact factor: 7.43; citations: 2]
- Choi B, Crisp MD, Cook LG, Edwards BD, Toon A, Külheim C (2019) Identifying genetic markers for a range of phylogenetic utility – from species to family level. PLoS One 14: e0218995 [Journal impact factor: 3.53]
- Kainer D, Padovan A, Degenhardt J, Krause S, Mondal P, Foley WJ, Külheim C (2019) High marker density GWAS provides novel insights into the genomic architecture of terpene oil yield in Eucalyptus. New Phytologist 223: 1489-1504 [Journal impact factor: 7.43; citations: 3]
- Thornhill AH, Crisp MD, Külheim C, Lam KE, Nelson LA, Yeates DK, Miller JT (2019) A dated molecular perspective of eucalypt taxonomy, evolution, and diversification. Australian Systematic Botany 32: 29-48 [Journal impact factor: 0.65; citations: 9]
- Kanagendran A, Pazouki L, Bichele R, Külheim C, Niinemets Ü (2018) Temporal regulation of terpene synthase gene expression in Eucalyptus globulus leaves upon ozone and wounding stresses: relationships with stomatal ozone uptake and emission responses. Environmental and Experimental Botany 155: 552-565 [Journal impact factor: 3.67; citations: 7]
- Kainer D, Stone E, Padovan A, Foley WJ, Külheim C (2018) High accuracy genomic prediction for foliar terpene traits in Eucalyptus polybractea. G3 – Genes, Genomes, Genetics 8: 2573-2583 doi.org/10.1534/g3.118.200443 [Journal impact factor: 2.86; citations: 9]
Matthew C. Kelly
- Kelly, M.C. and Germain, R.H. 2020. Applying Theory of Constraints to Timber Harvesting: A Case Study from the Northeast USA. Croatian Journal of Forest Engineering: Journal for Theory and Application of Forestry Engineering , 41 (1), pp.59-69.
- Augilar, F.X. and M.C. Kelly. 2019. US family forest management coupling natural and human systems: Role of markets and public policy instruments. Landscape and Urban Planning. Read More
- Kelly, M.C., R.H. Germain, and S. Bick. 2017 Impacts of forestry best management practices on logging costs and productivity in the Northeast U.S.A. Journal of Forestry. 115(6): 503-512. Read More
- Kelly, M.C., R.H. Germain, and S.A. Mack. 2016. Forest conservation programs and the landowners who prefer them: Profiling family forest owners in the New York City Watershed. Land Use Policy. 50 (17-28). Read More
- Kelly, M.C. and R.H. Germain. 2016. Is it efficient to single-handedly run a multi-machine harvesting operation? A case study from the Northeast United States. International Journal of Forest Engineering. 27(3): 140-150. Read More
- Germain, R.H., Bick, S., Kelly, M.C., Benjamin, J. and W. Ferrand. 2016. A case study of three high-performing contract loggers with distinct harvest systems: Are they thriving, striving or just surviving? Forest Products Journal 66(1/2):97–105. Read More
- Kelly, M.C., R.H. Germain, and S.V. Stehman. 2015. Family forest owner preferences for forest conservation programs: A New York case study. Forest Science. 61(3):597-603. Read More
- Robinson, S.C., Laks, P.E. and Richter, D.L. 2011. Stimulating Spalting in Sugar Maple Using Sub-lethal Doses of Copper. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products 69(4): 527-532.
- G.M. Larkin, P.E. Laks, M. Mankowski, D. Schubert, N. Miller. 2010. Zinc-Boron-Silicate Wood Preservative Systems. Proceedings of the AWPA Annual Conference, pp.278-286.
- P.E. Laks, D.L. Richter, G.M. Larkin, J.O. Eskola. 2010. A Survey of the Biological Resistance of Commercial WPC Decking. Proceedings of the 10th Pacific Rim Bio-Based Composites Symposium, pp. 193-201.
- Robinson, S.C., Laks, P.E. 2010. The Effects of Sub-threshold Loadings of Tebuconazole, DDAC and Boric Acid on Wood Decay by Postia placenta. Holzforschung 64(4):537-543.
- P.E. Laks, P. I. Morris, G.M. Larkin, and J.K. Ingram. 2008. Field Tests of naturally Durable North American Wood Species. International Research Group on Wood Preservation Doc. IRG/WP 08-10675.
- Langston, N. In press. Climate Ghosts: Restoring Migratory Species in the Anthropocene. Brandeis University Press.
- SV Nguyen, N Langston, A Wellstead, M Howlett. 2020. Mining the evidence: Public comments and evidence-based policymaking in the controversial Minnesota PolyMet mining project, Resources Policy 69, 101842
- Langston, N. 2019. “Environment and sustainability in mining.” Chapter for Environment and Sustainability in a Globalizing World, Ed. A. Nightingale and T Bohler, Routledge.
- Baeten, J. P., Langston, N., Lafreniere, D. J. 2018. “A Spatial Evaluation of Historic Iron Mining Impacts on Current Impaired Waters in Lake Superior's Mesabi Range.” Ambio 47 (2): 231-244.
- Langston, N. and K. Christen. 2019. Conservation policies threaten Indigenous reindeer herders in Mongolia. The Conversation, Oct. 10, 2019.
- Langston, N. 2019. “Closing nuclear plants will increase climate risks.” NICHE: The Otther, Jan. 30, 2019. http://niche-canada.org/2019/01/30/closing-nuclear-plants-will-increase-climate-risks/ Co-published with Activehistory.ca and Historicalclimatology.org
- Langston, N. 2019. “Will woodland caribou survive in the Lake Superior basin?” Agate Magazine Jan. 14, 2019. http://www.agatemag.com/2019/01/will-woodland-caribou-survive-in-the-lake-superior-basin/
- Langston, N. 2018. “Are woodland caribou doomed by climate change?” Historical Climatology July 26, 2018. https://www.historicalclimatology.com/blog/are-woodland-caribou-doomed-by-climate-change
- Langston, N. 2018 “The Syllabus Project: Diversifying the Environmental History Syllabus.” NICHE: The Otter. July 5, 2018. http://niche-canada.org/2018/07/05/the-syllabus-project/
- Langston. N. 2017 Sustaining Lake Superior: An Extraordinary Lake in a Changing World. Yale U. Press. Paperback March 2019.
- Langston, N. 2017 “Iron Mines, Toxicity, and Indigenous Communities in the Lake Superior Basin,” pp. 313-338 in Mining North America, eds. G. Vrtis and J. McNeil, U of CA Press.
- Langston, N. 2017. “Resiliency and Collapse: Lake Trout, Sea Lamprey, and Fisheries Management in Lake Superior.” Pp. 239-262 in Lynne Heasley and Daniel Macfarlane, eds Border Flows: A Century of Canadian-American Water Relations, U. Calgary Press.
- John Baeten, Nancy Langston, and Don Lafreniere. 2016. “A geospatial approach to uncovering the hidden waste footprint of Lake Superior’s Mesabi Iron Range.” The Extractive Industries and Society 3(4): 1031-1045.
- Thistle, J. and N. Langston. 2016. “Entangled histories: Iron ore mining in Canada and the United States.” The Extractive Industries and Society 3(2): 269-277. 10.1016/j.exis.2015.06.00 Read More
- Mårald, E., N. Langston, A. Stens, and J. Moen. 2015. “Changing ideas in forestry: a comparison of concepts in Swedish and American forestry journals during the early 20th and 21st centuries.” Ambio. Read More
- Steen-Adams, M. M., Langston, N., Adams, M. D., & Mladenoff, D. J. 2015. “Historical framework to explain long-term coupled human and natural system feedbacks: application to a multiple-ownership forest landscape in the northern Great Lakes region, USA.” Ecology and Society, 20(1). Read More
- Nancy Langston. 2013. Mining the Boreal North. American Scientist. April
- Nancy Langston. 2010. Toxic Bodies: Hormone Disruptors and the Legacy of DES. New Haven: Yale University Press. Read More
- Langston, N. 2015. “Thinking Like A Microbe: Borders and Environmental History.” Canadian Historical Review. 95(4): 592-603 Read More
- Michelle Steen-Adams, David J. Mladenoff, Nancy E. Langston, Feng Liu, and Jun Zhu. 2011. “Influence of Biophysical Factors and Differences in Ojibwe Reservation Versus Euro-American Social Histories on Forest Landscape Change in Northern Wisconsin, USA.” Landscape Ecology 26 (8) (August 21): 1165-1178. Read More
- Michelle Steen-Adams, N. Langston, and D. J. Mladenoff. 2010. “Logging the Great Lakes Indian Reservations: The Case of the Bad River Band of Ojibwe.” American Indian Culture and Research Journal 34: 41-66. Read More
- Andrew, C. J., Lilleskov, E. A. (2009) Productivity and community structure of ectomycorrhizal fungal sporocarps under increased atmospheric CO2 and O3, Ecology Letters, 12, 813-822, Published.
- Lilleskov, E. A., Bruns, T. D., Dawson, T. E., Camacho, F. J. (2009) Water sources and controls on water-loss rates of epigeous ectomycorrhizal fungal sporocarps during summer drought, New Phytologist, 182, 483-494, Published.
- Lilleskov, E. A., Mattson, W. J, Storer, A. J. (2008) Divergent biogeography of native and introduced soil macroinvertebrates in North America north of Mexico, Diversity and Distributions, 14, 893-904, Published.
- Lilleskov, E. A., Wargo, P. M, Vogt, K. M., Vogt, D. J. (2008) Mycorrhizal fungal community relationship to root nitrogen concentration over a regional atmospheric nitrogen deposition gradient in the northeastern USA, Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 38, 1260-1266, Published.
- Karberg, N. J., Lilleskov, E. A. (2008) White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) fecal pellet decomposition is accelerated by the invasive earthworm Lumbricus terrestris, Biological Invasions, 11, 761-767, Published.
- van Diepen, L.T.A, Lilleskov, E. A., Pregitzer, K. S., Miller, R. M. (2007) Decline of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in northern hardwood forests exposed to chronic nitrogen additions, New Phytologist, 176, 175-183, Published.
- Lilleskov, E. A., J.L. Parrent (2007) Can we develop general predictive models of mycorrhizal fungal community-environment relationships?, New Phytologist, , In Press.
Liu, F., M. Conklin, and G. Shaw (2017), Insights into concentration-discharge and endmember mixing analyses in the mid Merced River basin, Water Resources Research, 53, doi:10.1002/2016WR019437.
Al-Qudah, M. O., F. Liu, R. N. Lerch, N. Kitchen, and J. Yang (2016), Controls on nitrate-N concentrations in groundwater in a Missourian claypan watershed, Earth and Space Science, 3: 90-105, doi: 10.1002/2015EA000117.
Shaw, G., M. H. Conklin, G. Nimz, and F. Liu (2014), Groundwater and surface water flow to the Merced River, Yosemite Valley, California: 36Cl and Cl - evidence, Water Resources Research, 10.1002/2013WR014222.
Liu, F., C. Hunsaker, and R. C. Bales (2013), Controls of streamflow generation in small catchments across snow/rain transition in the Southern Sierra, California, Hydrological Processes, 27, 1959-1972, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.9304.
Frisbee, M. D., F. M. Phillips, A. R. Campbell, F. Liu, and S. A. Sanchez (2011), Streamflow generation in a large, alpine watershed in the southern Rocky Mountains of Colorado: Is streamflow generation simply the aggregation of hillslope runoff responses? Water Resources Research, 47, W06512, doi: 10.1029/2010WR009391.
Liu, F., R. C. Bales, M. H. Conklin, and M. E. Conrad (2008), Stream flow generation from snowmelt in semi-arid, forested and seasonally snow-covered catchments, Valles Caldera, New Mexico, Water Resources Research, 44, W12443, doi:10.1029/2007WR006278.
Liu, F., R. Parmenter, P. Brooks, M. Conklin, and R. C. Bales (2008), Intra- and inter-annual variation of streamflow pathways in semiarid, forested catchments, Valles Caldera, New Mexico, Ecohydrology, 1(3), 239-252, doi: 10.1002/eco.22.
Liu, F., M. Williams, and N. Caine (2004), Source waters and flow paths in an alpine catchment, Colorado Front Range, USA, Water Resources Research, Vol. 40, W09401, doi: 10.1029/2004WR003076.
- Mason, L.A., A.L. Maclean and R.E. Froese. 2009. GIS Modeling Of Riparian Zones Utilizing Digital Elevation Models And Flood Height Data. Environmental Modeling and Assessment. (in revision).
- S. Saunders, M. Mislivets, K. Brosofske, D. Cleland, and A. Maclean. 2009. Predicting burns in subregional ecological and climatic units of the northern Great Lakes Region. International Journal of Wildland Fire. (in review).
- Shonnard, D.R., J.R. Jensen, J.D. Naber, Q. Zhang, A.L. Maclean, K.E. Halvorsen, T.L. Jenkins, C. Polonowski, and J.W. Sutherland. 2008. Wood-to-Wheels: A Multidisciplinary Research Initiative in Sustainable Transportation Utilizing Fuels and Co-Products from Forest Resources. In: Proceedings from Convergence 2008, SAE International, October 20-22, 2008, Detroit, MI USA 2008-21-0026.
- Cleland, David T., Thomas R. Crow, Sari C. Saunders, Donald I Dickmann, Ann L. Maclean James K. Jordan, Richard L. Watson, Alyssa Sloan, Kimberly Brosofske. 2004. “Characterizing Historical and Modern Fires Regimes in Michigan: A Landscape Ecosystem Approach.” Forest Ecology. 19(3):311-325.
- VanLuven, D.M., J.E. Huntoon, and A.L. Maclean. 1999. Determination of the Influence of Wind on the Keweenaw Current in the Lake Superior Basin as Identified by Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer (AVHRR) Imagery. Journal of Great Lakes Research. 25 (3):631- 647.
- Owens, K.E., A.J. Londo, D.D. Reed., A.L. Maclean and G.D. Mroz. 1999. A landscape level comparison of pre-European settlement and current soil carbon storage of a forested landscape in upper Michigan. Forest Ecology and Management. Vol. 113, pp. 179-189.
- Budd, J.W., W.C. Kerfoot and A.L. Maclean. 1998. Documenting complex surface temperature patterns from Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer (AVHRR) imagery of Saginaw Bay, Lake Huron. Journal of Great Lakes Research 24(2): 582-594.
Audrey L. Mayer
- Mayer AL. 2021. The Bird and the Bulldozer. Yale University Press.
- Editorial for 2019 special issue on Landscape-scale Dynamics of Family Forest Owners in Landscape and Urban Planning
- Mu B*, C Liu, G Tian, Y Xu, Y Zhang, AL Mayer, R Lv, R He, G Kim. In review. Conceptual planning of urban-rural green space from a multidimensional perspective: A case study of Zhengzhou, China. Sustainability.
- Lu H*, AL Mayer, S Zhou, AM Wellstead. In review. Quasi-Public-Private Partnerships as a purposeful policy tool. Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning.
- Lu H*, AL Mayer, S Zhou, AM Wellstead. In review. Quasi-Public-Private Partnerships as a purposeful policy tool. Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning.
- Mayer AL. 2019. Family forest owners and landscape-scale interaction: A review. Landscape and Urban Planning doi: 10.1016/j.landurbplan.2018.10.017
- Goltz S, P Sotirin, A Minerick, A Mayer, A Storer. 2019. Continuous improvement to achieve faculty career equity. Pp. 65-78 In Hassel H and Cole K (eds.), Academic Labor Beyond the College Classroom: Working for our values. Routledge Press.
- Mayer AL. 2016. Biology in Environmental Management. Pp. 47-73 In Sarkar D, Mukherjee A, Datta R, and Hannigan R (eds.), An Integrated Approach to Environmental Management. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken NJ.
Ploetz, K.*, and B. Orr. 2004. Wild herb use in Bulgaria. Economic Botany 58(2):231-241.
Jarvis, MC**, AM Miller**, J Sheahan**, K Ploetz*, J Ploetz*, RR Watson**, MP Ruiz**, CAP Villapan**, JG Alvarado**, AL Ramirez, & B Orr. 2005. Edible wild mushrooms of the Cofre de Perote Region, Veracruz, Mexico: an ethnomycological study of common names and uses. Economic Botany. 58(Supplement):S111-S115.
Jones, Michael J.*, and B. Orr. 2007. Resin Tapping and Forest Cooperatives in Honduras. J. of Sustainable Forestry 22(3/4):135-169.
Aragona, F.B.*, and B. Orr. 2011. Agricultural intensification, monoculture and economic failure: The case of onion production in the Tipajara Watershed on the eastern slope of the Bolivian Andes. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture. 35(5):467-492. DOI: 10.1080/10440046.2011.579832
Fox, M.M.*, S.J. Trull, and B. Orr. 2012, Effect of Selection Logging on Carex assiniboinensis W. Boott in a Northern Hardwood Stand Michigan Botanist. 51(3):110-116. (dated 2012, published 2013)
Kenny, A.L.*, J.B. Pickens, and B. Orr. 2014. Modeling Teak Introduction on Smallholder Farms in Southern Togo. Journal of Sustainable Forestry. 33(8):776-795.
Sterling, S.J.**, and B. Orr. 2014. Patterns of tree distribution in small communities of the Sudanian Savana-Sahel. Land 3(4):1284-1292.
Goltz, S.M., A.L. Mayer, and B. Orr. (2020). Applied behavior analysis as a development tool: Examples from agroforestry. [Graeme Review] Journal of Sustainable Forestry.
Rolf O. Peterson
- Wilmers, C, E. Post, R. Peterson, & J. Vucetich. 2006. Disease-mediated switch from top-down to bottom-up control increases moose population response to climate. Ecology Letters, in press.
- Wright, G.J., R.O. Peterson, D.W. Smith, and T.O. Lemke. 2005. Selection of northern Yellowstone elk by gray wolves and hunters. Journal of Wildlife Management, in press.
- Weise, JW, C Nagaswami, RO Peterson. 2005. River otter hair structure facilitates interlocking to impede penetration of water and allow trapping of air. Canadian Journal of Zoology 83:649-655.
- Jost, C, G Devulder, JA Vucetich, RO Peterson, R Arditi. 2005. The wolves of Isle Royale display scale-invariant satiation and density dependent predation on moose. J. Anim. Ecol., in press.
- Potvin, MJ, D Beyer, TD Drummer, RO Peterson, JA Vucetich, & J Hammill. 2005 Monitoring and habitat analysis for wolves in Upper Michigan. J. Wildlife Management, in press
- Vucetich, JA, & RO Peterson. 2004. The influence of top-down, bottom-up, and abiotic factors on the moose (Alces alces) population of Isle Royale. Proceeding Royal Soc Lond, B 271:183-189.
- Potvin, M.J., R.O. Peterson, and J.A. Vucetich. 2004. Wolf homesite attendance patterns. Canadian Journal of Zoology 82:1512-1518.
- Chimner, RA, R Boone, G Bowser, L Bourgeau-Chavez, B Fuentealba, J Gilbert, JA Ñaupari, M. Polk, S Resh, C Turin, KR Young, M Zarria-Samanamud. 2020. Andes, Bofedales, and the Communities of Huascarán National Park, Peru. Wetland Science and Practice 37: 246-254.
- Mosier, SL, ES Kane, D Richter, E Lilleskov, MF Jurgensen, AJ Burton, SC Resh. 2017. Interactive effects of climate change and fungal communities on wood-derived carbon in forest soils. Soil Biology and Biochemist 117: 297-309.
- Gollany, HT, BD Titus, D Scott, H Asbjornsen, SC Resh, RA Chimner, D Kaczmarek, LFC Leite, ACC Ferreira, K Rod, J Hilbert, MV Galdos, M Cisz. 2015. Biogeochemical research priorities for sustainable biofuel and bioenergy feedstock production in Pan-America. Environmental Management.
- Schrank, AJ, SC Resh, WJ Previant, and RA Chimner. 2015. Characterization and Classification of Vernal Pool Vegetation, Soil, and Amphibians of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. American Midland Naturalist 174(1): 161-179.
- Chimner, RA and SC Resh. 2014. Water Sources of Riparian Bur Oak Using Stable Water Isotopes in Homestead National Monument, Nebraska. Natural Areas Journal 34(1):56-64.
- Resh, SC, M. Battaglia, D. Worledge, and S. Ladiges. 2003. Coarse root biomass for eucalypt plantations in Tasmania, Australia: sources of variation and methods for assessment. Trees: Structure and Function 17:389-399.
- Rothe, A, K Cromack Jr., SC Resh, E Makineci, Y Son. 2002. Soil carbon and nitrogen changes under Douglas-fir with and without red alder. Soil Science Society of America Journal 66:1988-1995.
- Resh, SC, D. Binkley, and JA Parrotta. 2002. Greater soil carbon sequestration under nitrogen-fixing tree species compared with Eucalyptus pecies. Ecosystems 5:217-231.
- Kaye, J, SC Resh, MW Kaye, RA Chimner. 2000. Nutrient and carbon dynamics in a replacement series of Eucalyptus and Albizia trees. Ecology 81:3267-3273.
- Smith, FW and SC Resh. 1999. Age-related changes in production and below-ground carbon allocation in Pinus contorta forests. Forest Science 45:1-9.
- Binkley, D and SC Resh. 1999. Rapid changes in soils following Eucalyptus afforestation in Hawaii. Soil Science Society of America Journal 63:222-225.
- Bunce A. Volin J. Miller D. Parent J. Rudnicki M. (2019) Determinants of Tree Sway Frequency in Temperate Deciduous Forests of the Northeast United States. 266-267. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology.
- Pringle A.M. Rudnicki M. and Pearce J. (2017) Wood Furniture Waste-Based Recycled 3-D Printing Filament. Forest Products Journal. https://doi.org/10.13073/FPJ-D-17-00042
- Ross R.J. Wang X.; Rudnicki, M. 2017. New technologies aid in assessing trees. The Forestry Source 22:2:22-23. Society of American Foresters.
- Rudnicki M. Wang X. Ross R. Xiping W. and Prezinski K. (2016) Measuring Wood Quality in Standing Trees. Gen. Tech. Rep. FPL-GTR-248. Madison, WI: US Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 248:13 p.
- Hiscox A.L. Rudnicki M. and Miller D.R. (2015) Understanding turbulent kinetic energy (TKE) stationarity within a forest canopy. Agricultural and forest meteorology. 214: 124-133
James M. Schmierer
- Webster, Charels E., David D. Reed, Blair D. Orr, James M. Schmierer, and James B. Pickens. 2009. Expected rates of value growth for individual sugar maple crop trees in the Great lakes Region. Northern journal of Applied Forestry, 26(4): 133-140.
Andrew J. Storer
Ebanyenle, E, A.J. Burton and A.J. Storer. 2016. Elevated tropospheric CO2 and O-3 may not alter
initial wood decomposition rate or wood-decaying fungal community composition of Northern
Hardwoods. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation: 111: 74-77
Mercader, RJ, DG McCullough, AJ Storer, JM Bedford, R Heyd, TM Poland and S. Katovich. 2016.
Estimating local spread of recently established emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis ,
infestations and the potential to influence it with a systemic insecticide and girdled ash trees.
Forest Ecology and Management 366:87-97.
Brockerhoff, EG, M.Dick, R. Ganley, A Roques and AJ Storer. 2016. Role of insect vectors in
epidemiology and invasion risk of Fusarium circinatum , and risk assessment of biological control
of invasive Pinus contorta . Biological Invasions 18: 1177-1190.
Shartell, LM, GR Corace III, AJ Storer,and DM Kashian. 2015. Broad and local-scale patterns of
exotic earthworm functional groups in forests of National Wildlife Refuges of the Upper Midwest,
USA. Biological Invasions 17: 3591-3607.
Clark, RE, KN Boyes, LE Morgan, AJ Storer and JM Marshall. 2015. Development and assessment of
ash mortality models in relation to emerald ash borer infestation. Arboriculture and Urban
Forestry 41(5): 270-278.
Christopher W. Swanston
- Virto, I., C. Moni, C. Swanston, and C. Chenu. 2010. Turnover of intra- and extra-aggregate organic matter at the silt-size scale. Geoderma 156:1-10.
- Nave, L.E., E.D. Vance, C.W. Swanston, and P.S. Curtis. 2010. Harvest impacts on soil carbon storage in temperate forests. Forest Ecology and Management 259:857-866.
- Torn, M.S., C.W. Swanston, C. Castanha, and S. Trumbore. 2009. Storage and Turnover of Organic Matter in Soil, p. 219-272, In P. M. Huang and N. Senesi, eds. Biophysico-Chemical Processes Involving Natural Nonliving Organic Matter in Environmental Systems. Wiley, Hoboken.
- Sollins, P., M.G. Kramer, C. Swanston, K. Lajtha, T. Filley, A.K. Aufdenkampe, R. Wagai, and R.D. Bowden. 2009. Sequential density fractionation across soils of contrasting mineralogy: Evidence for both microbial- and mineral-controlled soil organic matter stabilization. Biogeochemistry 96:209-231.
- Nave, L.E., E.D. Vance, C.W. Swanston, and P.S. Curtis. 2009. Impacts of elevated N inputs on north temperate forest soil C storage, C/N, and net N-mineralization. Geoderma 153:231-240.
- Marin-Spiotta, E., W.L. Silver, C.W. Swanston, and R. Ostertag. 2009. Soil organic matter dynamics during 80 years of reforestation of tropical pastures. Global Change Biology 15:1584-1597.
- Gaudinski, J.B., M.S. Torn, W.J. Riley, C. Swanston, S.E. Trumbore, J.D. Joslin, H. Majdi, T.E. Dawson, and P.J. Hanson. 2009. Use of stored carbon reserves in growth of temperate tree roots and leaf buds: Analyses using radiocarbon measurements and modeling. Global Change Biology 15:992-1014.
John A. Vucetich
Zimmermann A, Macdonald DW. (2018). Just conservation: What is it and
should we pursue it?. Biological Conservation, 221, 23-33,
Vucetich JA, Burnham D, Johnson PJ, Loveridge AJ, Nelson MP,
Bruskotter JT, Macdonald DW. (2019). The value of argument analysis
for understanding ethical considerations pertaining to trophy hunting
and lion conservation. Biological conservation, 235, 260-272,
Offer-Westort T, Feltz A, Bruskotter JT, Vucetich JA. (2020). What is
an endangered species?: judgments about acceptable risk. Environmental
Research Letters, 15(1), 014010,
Bruskotter JT, Vucetich JA, Slagle KM, Berardo R, Singh AS, Wilson RS.
(2018). Support for the US Endangered Species Act over time and space:
Controversial species do not weaken public support for protective
legislation. Conservation Letters, 11(6), e12595,
Vucetich JA, Nelson MP, Bruskotter JT. (2020). What Drives Declining
Support for Long-Term Ecological Research?. BioScience. 70:168–173,
Hoy SR, MacNulty DR, Smith DW, Stahler DR, Lambin X, Peterson RO,
Ruprecht JS, Vucetich JA. Fluctuations in age structure and their
variable influence on population growth. Functional Ecology. 2020
Hoy SR, Vucetich JA, Liu R, DeAngelis DL, Peterson RO, Vucetich LM,
Henderson JJ. (2019). Negative frequency‐dependent foraging behaviour
in a generalist herbivore (Alces alces) and its stabilizing influence
on food web dynamics. Journal of Animal Ecology, 88(9), 1291-1304,
Hoy SR, Peterson RO, Vucetich JA. (2018). Climate warming is
associated with smaller body size and shorter lifespans in moose near
their southern range limit. Global change biology, 24(6), 2488-2497,
Leah M. Vucetich
- Jacqueline A. Robinson, Jannikke RaÃàikkoÃànen, Leah M. Vucetich, John A. Vucetich, Rolf O. Peterson, Kirk E. Lohmueller1, Robert K. Wayne. 2019. Genomic signatures of extensive inbreeding in Isle Royale wolves, a population on the threshold of extinction. Science Advances 29 May 2019, Vol. 5, no. 5, eaau0757 DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.aau0757
- Hoy SR, Vucetich JA, Liu R, DeAngelis DL, Peterson RO, Vucetich LM, Henderson JJ. 2019. Negative frequency-dependent foraging behaviour in a generalist herbivore (Alces alces) and its stabilizing influence on food-web dynamics. Journal of Animal Ecology doi.org/10.1111/1365-2656.13031
- Peterson, R. O., Hoy, S. R., Vucetich, L. M., Vucetich, J. A., Kraus, V. B., & Huebner, J. L. (2018). Urinary biomarkers to non-invasively evaluate health in wild moose (Alces alces). Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 26, S196-S197.
- Long-term trends in prevalence and ecology of Echinococcus in wolves (Canis lupus) in Isle Royale National Park, Michigan, USA. JR Cerda, D Buttke, LR Ballweber, RO Peterson, LM Vucetich, JA Vucetich. 2014. Poster to be presented at the European Scientific Counsel Companion Animal Parasites conference, Lithuania, October, 2014.
- Hedrick, P.W., Peterson, R.O., Vucetich, L.M., Adams, J.R., & Vucetich, J.A. (2014). Genetic rescue in Isle Royale wolves: genetic analysis and the collapse of the population. Conserv. Genet. DOI 10.1007/s10592-014-0604-1
Christopher R. Webster
- Janowiak, M.K., and C.R. Webster. 2010. Promoting ecological sustainability in woody biomass harvesting. Journal of Forestry 108(1):16-23. (featured on cover)
- Stehn, S.E., C.R. Webster, J.M. Glime, and M.A. Jenkins. 2010. Elevational gradients of bryophyte diversity, life forms, and community assemblage in the southern Appalachians. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 40:2164-2174.
- Stehn, S.E., C.R. Webster, J.M. Glime, and M.A. Jenkins. 2010. Ground-layer bryophyte communities of post-adelgid Picea-Abies forests. Southeastern Naturalist 9:435-452.
- Powers, M.D, B.J. Palik, J.B. Bradford, S. Fraver, C.R. Webster. 2010. Thinning method and intensity influence long-term mortality trends in a red pine forest: implications for climate change mitigation. Forest Ecology and Management 260:1138-1148
- Witt, J.C., and C.R. Webster. 2010. Regeneration dynamics in remnant Tsuga canadensis stands in the northern Lake States: potential direct and indirect effects of herbivory. Forest Ecology and Management 269:519-525
- Holmes, S.A, and C.R. Webster. 2010. Acer saccharum response to concurrent disturbances: the importance of stem layering as an adaptive trait. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 40:1627-1635
- Webster, C.R., D.J. Flaspohler, R.D. Jackson, T. Meehan, C. Gratton. 2010. Diversity, productivity and landscape-level effects of grasslands managed for biomass production. Biofuels 1(3):251-461.(invited)
- Wu, W., J. Li, Q. Wang, K. Lv, K. Du, W. Zhang, Q. Li, X. Kang* and H. Wei*. 2021. Growth-regulating factor 5 (GRF5)-mediated gene regulatory network promotes leaf growth and expansion in triploid poplar. New Phytologist (in press) ( IF =8.5 )
- Wei, H. 2021. Editorial message, Forestry Research . (in press)
- Liu, G., Y. Wang, L. Yu, T. Zheng, S. Wang, Z. Yue, J. Jiang, S. Kumari, C. Zheng, H. Tang, J. Li, Y. Li, J. Chen, W. Zhang, H. Kuang, J. Robertson, P. Zhao, H. Li, S. Shu, Y. Yordanov, Ha. Huang, D. Goodstein, Y. Gai, Q. Qi, J. Min, C. Xu, S. Wang, G. Qu, A. Paterson, D. Sankoff, H. Wei, C. Yang, and S. Chen. 2021. Genome sequence and evolution of Betula platyphylla. Horticulture Research . (In press) ( IF =6.4 )
- Lin, G, C. He, J. Zheng, D.H. Koo, H. Le, H. Zheng, T. M. Tamang, J. Lin, Y. Liu, M. Zhao, Y. Hao, F. McFraland, B. Wang, Y. Qin, H. Tang, D.R. McCarty, H. Wei, M.J. Cho, S. Park, H. Kaeppler, S. Kaeppler, N. Springer, Y/ Liu, P.S. Schnable, G. Wang, F. F. White, S. Liu. Chromosome-level genome assembly of a regenerable maize Inbred line A188. bioRxiv . doi: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.09.289611v1
- Li, Y., H. Wei, J. Yang, L. K. Du, J.Li, Y. Zhang, T. Qiu,Z. Liu, Y. Ren, L. Song, X. Kang. 2020. High quality de novo assembly of the Eucommia ulmoides haploid genome provides new insights into the evolution and rubber biosynthesis. Horticulture Research . 7:183 ( IF =5.4 ) https://doi.org/10.1038/s41438-020-00406-w
- He, C., G. Lin, H. Wei, H. Tang, F. F. White, B. Valent, and S. Liu. 2020. Factorial estimating assembly base errors using k-mr abundance difference (KAD) between short reads and genome assembled sequences. NAR Genomics and Bioinformatics Vol. 2, No. 3: 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1093/nargab/lqaa075
- Wei, M., Q. Liu, Z. Wang, J. Yang, W. Li, Y. Chen, H. Lu, J. Nie, B. Liu, K. Lv, X. Mao, S. Chen, J. Sanders, H. Wei * and Chenghao Li*. 2020. PuHox52-mediated hierarchical multilayered gene regulatory network promotes adventitious root formation in Populus ussuriensis. New Phytologist . 228(4): 1369-1385. ( IF =8.5 ) https://doi.org/10.1111/nph.16778
- Wei, H. 2019. Construction of a hierarchical gene regulatory network centered around a transcription factor (Review). Briefing in Bioinformatics . ( IF =9.3 ). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/bib/bbx152.
- Fang, Y, L. Chen, K. Lin, Y. Feng, P. Zhang, J. Sanders, X. Pan, Y. Wu, X. Wang, Z. Su, C. Chen, H. Wei*, W. Zhang*. 2019. Characterization of functional relationships of R-loops with gene transcription and epigenetic modifications in rice . Genome Research 29(8):1287-1297 ( IF =10.1 ) http://www.genome.org/cgi/doi/10.1101/gr.246009.118
- Deng, W., K. Zhang, S. Liu, P. Zhao and S. Xu and H. Wei*. 2018. JRmGRN: Joint reconstruction of multiple gene regulatory networks with common hub genes using data from multiple tissues or conditions. Bioinformatics 34(20):3470-3478. ( IF=7.3 ) https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/bty354 .
- Peng, T., M. Qiao, H. Liu, S. Teotia, Y. Zhao, D. Zhao, L. Shi, B. Le, K. Rogers, C. Gunasekara, H. Duan, Y. Gu, L. Tian, Z. Zhang, F. Meng, L. Huang, Q. Chen, Z. Wang, J. Tang, X. Tang, H. Wei*, X. Chen*, Q. Zhao* and G. Tang*. 2018. A resource for inactivation of microRNAs using short tandem target mimic technology in model and crop plants. Molecular Plant 11(11):1400-1417 ( IF=8.8 ) . https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molp.2018.09.003
- Gunasekara, C, K. Zhang, W. Deng, L. Brown and H. Wei*. 2018. TGMI: an efficient algorithm for identifying pathway regulators through evaluation of triple-gene mutual interaction. Nucleic Acids Res Res. 46(11):e67. ( IF=11.53 ) https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gky210
- Kumari, S., W. Deng, C. Gunasekara, V. Chiang, H.S. Chen, H. Ma, X. Davis, and H. Wei*. 2016. Bottom-up GGM algorithm for constructing multilayered hierarchical gene regulatory networks that govern biological pathways or processes. BMC Bioinformatics 2016, 17:132 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12859-016-0981-1
- Yang, C and H. Wei*. 2014, Designing microarray and RNA-seq experiments for greater systems biology discovery in modern plant genomics. Molecular Plant 8, 196–206. ( IF=8.8 ) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molp.2014.11.012
- Wei, H. Y. Yordan, T. Georgieva, X. Li, V. Busov. 2013. Nitrogen deprivation promotes Populus root growth via global transcriptomic reprogramming and activation of hierarchical genetic networks. New Phytologist 200 (2), 483-97 ( IF=6.5 ) https://doi.org/10.1111/nph.12375
- Kumari, S., J. Nie,, H.S. Chen, R. Stewart, H. Ma, X. Li, M. Lu, W.M. Taylor, and H. Wei. 2012. Evaluation of gene association methods for coexpression network construction and biological knowledge discovery. PLos ONE 7(11): e50411 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3511551/
- Nie, J., R. Stewart, F. Ruan, J. Thomson, H. Zhang, X. Cui and H. Wei. 2011. TF-cluster: a pipeline for identifying functionally coordinated transcription factors via network decomposition of the shared coexpression connectivity matrix (SCCM). BMC Systems Biology , 5:53 https://doi.org/10.1186/1752-0509-5-53
- Cui, X, T. Wang, H.S. Chen, V. Busov and H. Wei. 2010. TF-finder: A software package for identifying transcription factors involved in biological processes using microarray data and existing knowledge base. BMC Bioinformatics , 11:425 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2105-11-425
Jared D. Wolfe
Wolfe, J. D., P. C. Stouffer, R. O. Bierregaard, Jr., D. Luther and T. E. Lovejoy. 2020. Effects
of a regenerating matrix on the survival of birds in tropical forest fragments. Avian
Wolfe, J. D. and P. Elizondo. 2020. Integrating bird conservation into ecosystem service payments and carbon offsets: a case study from Costa Rica. Conservation Science and practice doi.org/10.1111/csp2.173.
Long, L. and J. D. Wolfe. 2019. A Review the Science Directly Related to the Effects of Barred Owls (Strix varia) on Spotted Owls (Strix occidentalis). Journal of Wildlife Management 83:1281-1296.
Wolfe, J. D., J. D. Alexander, J. L. Stephens, and C. J. Ralph. 2019. A novel approach to understanding bird communities using informed diversity estimates at local and regional scales in northern California and southern Oregon. Ecology and Evolution 9:4431–4442.
Rutt, C., S. Midway, V. Jirinec, J. D. Wolfe and P. C. Stouffer. 2018. Examining the microclimate hypothesis in Amazonian birds: Indirect tests of the ‘visual constraints’ mechanism. Oikos 128:798-810.
Ralph C. J., and
J. D. Wolfe. 2018. Factors affecting the distribution and abundance of autumn vagrant warblers
in northwestern California and southern Oregon. PeerJ. 6: e5881
Johnson, E. I. and J. D. Wolfe. 2017. Molt in Neotropical Birds: Life History and Aging Criteria. Studies in Avian Biology, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, Boca Raton, Florida.
Wolfe, J. D., C. J. Ralph and A. K. Wiegardt. 2017. Bottom-up processes influence the demography and life-cycle phenology of Hawaiian bird communities. Ecology 98:2885-2899.
Wiegardt, K. A., J. D. Wolfe, C. J. Ralph, J. L. Stephens and J. D. Alexander. 2017. Elevational movements of songbirds after the breeding season. Journal of Ecology and Evolution 7:7750-7764.
West, C., J. D. Wolfe, A. K. Wiegardt and T. Williams-Claussen. 2017. Feasibility of California Condor recovery in northern California: assessing spatial and temporal patterns of contaminants using Surrogate species. Condor 119: 720-731. Cooper, J., O. Johnson, T. Davis, R. Terrill, K. Brzeski., J. D. Wolfe, A. Etingüe* and L. Powell. 2017. Notes on the distribution of the avifauna of Bioko Island, Equatorial Guinea, with one new country record. Malimbus 39:1-15.
Wiegardt, K. A., D. C. Barton and J. D. Wolfe. 2017. Upslope molt migration of the Wilson’s Warbler in the Klamath-Siskiyou Bioregion. Journal of Ornithology 88:47-52.
- Yuan Y*, Chen C (2018) Widespread Antisense Transcription of Populus Genome under Drought. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 293(4): 1017-1033.
- Fueangfung S, Yuan Y, Fang S (2014) Denaturing Reversed-Phase HPLC Using a Mobile Phase Containing Urea for Oligodeoxynucleotide Analysis. Nucleosides, Nucleotides and Nucleic Acids 33: 481-488.
- Pokharel D, Yuan Y, Fueangfung S, Fang S (2014) Synthetic Oligodeoxynucleotide Purification by Capping Failure Sequences with a Methacrylamide Phosphoramidite Followed by Polymerization. RSC Advances 4: 8746–8757.
- Xue L-J, Guo W, Yuan Y, Anino EO, Nyamdari B, Wilson MC, Frost CJ, Chen H-Y, BabstBA,Harding SA, Tsai CJ (2013) Constitutively Elevated Salicylic Acid Levels Alter Photosynthesis and Oxidative State but not Growth in Transgenic Populus. Plant Cell 25: 2714-2730.
- Fang S, Fueangfung S, Yuan Y (2012) Purification of Synthetic Oligonucleotides via Catching by Polymerization. In Current Protocols in Nucleic Acid Chemistry (Martin Egli, Piet Herdewijn, Akira Matusda,Yogesh S. Sanghvi, eds.). John Wiley and Sons, New York, Unit 10.14.1-10.14.21.
- Yuan Y, Fueangfung S, Lin X, Pokharel D, Fang S (2012) Synthetic 5′-Phosphorylated Oligodeoxynucleotide Purification through Catching Full-length Sequences by Polymerization. RSC Advances 2: 2803-2808.