The School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science faculty authors leading research that appears in a wide variety of scientific journals and publications. Select faculty members listed here to see some of their work.
Tara L. Bal
- Bal, TL, Storer, AJ, Jurgensen, MF. 2017. Evidence of damage from exotic invasive earthworm activity was highly correlated to sugar maple dieback in the Upper Great Lakes region. Biological Invasions. Read More
- Bal, TL, Storer, AJ, Jurgensen, MF, Doskey, PV, Amacher, MC, 2015. Nutrient stress predisposes and contributes to sugar maple dieback across its northern range: a review. Forestry 88 (1): 64-83. Read More
- Bal, Tara L., 2014. Forest Health Detectives. The American Biology Teacher. 76 (8): 532-537 Read More
- Bal, T.L., Richter, D.L,. Storer, A.J., and Jurgensen, M.F. 2013. The relationship of the Sapstreak Fungus, Ceratocystis virescens, to Sugar Maple Dieback and Decay in North Michigan. American Journal of Plant Science 4(2A): 436-443. Read More
- Evaluation of Sugar Maple Dieback in the Upper Great Lakes Region and Development of a Forest Health Youth Education Program. PhD Dissertation. Michgian Technological University. 2013. Read More
- Gonczi, A., B.G. Bergman, J. E. Huntoon, B. McIntyre, S. Turner, J. Davis, R. J. Allen, R.M. Handler. 2016. Decision Matrices: Tools to Enhance Middle School Engineering Instruction. In press. Science Scope.
- Bump, J. K., B.G. Bergman, A. Schrank, A. Marcarelli, E. Kane, A. Risch, and M. Schuetz. 2017. Nutrient release from moose bioturbation in aquatic ecosystems. Oikos, 126(3): 389-397.
- Bergman, B.G., S.C. Tubman, E. Gochis, J.E.Huntoon. 2016. A progression and bundling model for developing integrated, socially-relevant science and engineering curricula aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards, Grades 6-8. Journal of the Michigan Science Teachers Association.
- Tubman, S.C., B.G. Bergman, J.E. Huntoon. 2016. To what extent should students learn science content through engaging in the practice of doing science? Teacher beliefs and NGSS attitudes vs. reported classroom practice. Journal of the Michigan Science Teachers Association.
- Bergman, B.G. and J.E. Huntoon. 2016. Sustaining student interest in science: Are the practices enough? Journal of the Michigan Science Teachers Association, 61: 20-27.
- Bergman, B.G. and J.K. Bump. 2015. Experimental evidence that the ecosystem effects of aquatic herbivory by moose and beaver may be contingent on water body type. Freshwater Biology, 60: 1635-1646.
- Bergman, B.G. 2015. Assessing impacts of locally designed environmental education projects on students’ environmental attitudes, awareness, and intention to act. Environmental Education Research, 22: 480-503.
- Bergman, B.G. and D. Kahler. 2015. Envisioning assessment under the new Michigan Science Standards. Michigan Science Teachers Association Fall Newsletter. Read More
- Bergman, B.G. and J.K. Bump. 2014. Mercury in aquatic forage of large herbivores: Impact of environmental conditions, assessment of health threats, and implications for transfer across ecosystem compartments. Science of the Total Environment, 479: 66-76.
- Knox, A. and B.G. Bergman. 2009. Resource rights at the ‘end of the earth’: An assessment of forest and wildlife tenure in conservation areas and coutadas in Southeast Angola. U.S. Agency for International Development, Washington DC.
- Bergman, B.G. and L.M. Verissimo. 2008. Evaluation of the protected area status of lands in Southeast Kuando Kubango. U.S. Agency for International Development, Gaborone Botswana.
- Bergman, B.G. and H. Murray-Rust. 2005. Managing watersheds to prevent conflict in Sri Lanka. U.S. Agency for International Development, Washington DC.
- Bergman, B.G. 2005. Integrated river basin management performance monitoring system. U.S. Agency for International Development, Gaborone Botswana.
- Bergman, B.G. 2005. Lessons learned for coastal water quality improvement. U.S. Agency for International Development, Kingston Jamaica.
William S. Breffle
- Jin, Y., R.P. Donovan, and W.S. Breffle. 2016. A dynamic model to assess the carrying capacity of a defined system. Journal of Sustainable Development 9(4):151-164.
- Breffle, W.S., M. Eiswerth, D. Muralidharan, and J. Thornton. 2015. Understanding how income influences willingness to pay for joint programs: A more equitable value measure for the less wealthy. Ecological Economics 109:17-25.
- Wright, S., D. Muraliharan, A. Mayer, and W.S. Breffle. 2014. Using contingent valuation to estimate the willingness to pay for improved water supplies in rural Ugandan villages. Journal of Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene for Development 4(3):490-498.
- Breffle, W.S., D. Muralidharan, R.P. Donovan, F. Liu, A. Mukherjee, and Y. Jin. 2013. Socioeconomic evaluation of the impact of natural resource stressors on human-use services in the Great Lakes Environment: A Lake Michigan case study. Resources Policy 38:152-162.
- Chestnut, L.C., R.D. Rowe, and W.S. Breffle. 2012. Economic valuation of mortality-risk reduction: stated preference estimates from the U.S. and Canada. Contemporary Economic Policy 30(3):399-416.
- Breffle W.S., E.R. Morey, and J.A. Thacher. 2011. A joint latent-class model: combining Likert-scale preference statements with choice data to harvest preference heterogeneity. Environmental and Resource Economics 50:83-110.
- Breffle, W. S. 2009. In pursuit of the optimal design: a guide for choice experiment practitioners. International Journal of Ecological Economics and Statistics 14(S09):3-14.
- Breffle, W. S., Maroney, K. K. 2009. The restoration of fishing services and the conveyance of risk information in the southern California bight. Marine Policy 33:561-570.
- Morey, E.R., W.S. Breffle, and P.A. Greene. 2008. Two Nested Constant-Elasticity-of-Substitution Models of Recreational Participation and Site Choice: An “Alternatives” Model and an “Expenditures” Model, in Revealed Preference Approaches to Environmental Valuation Volume I (J. Herriges and C. Kling, eds.), International Library of Environmental Economics and Policy, Ashgate Publishing Limited, U.K.
Andrew J. Burton
- Crowther, T.W., C.W. Rowe, W.R. Wieder, J.C. Carey, M.B. Machmuller, K.E.O. Todd-Brown, L.B. Snoek, S. Fang, G. Zhou, S.D. Allison, J.M. Blair, S.D. Bridgham, A.J. Burton, et al. 2016. Quantifying global soil C losses in response to warming. Nature 540:104-108. Read More
- Carey, J.C., J. Tang, P.H. Templer, K.D. Kroeger, T.W. Crowther, A.J. Burton, J.S. Dukes, B. Emmett, S. Frey, et al. 2016. Temperature response of soil respiration largely unaltered with experimental warming. Proceedings National Academy of Sciences 113:13797-13802. Read More
- Ebanyenle, E., A.J. Burton, A.J. Storer, D.L. Richter, J.A. Glaeser. 2016. Elevated tropospheric CO2 and O3 may not alter initial wood decomposition rate or wood-decaying fungal community composition of northern hardwoods. International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation 111:74-77. Read More
- Ibanez, I., D. Zak, A.J. Burton, K. Pregtizer. 2016. Chronic nitrogen deposition alters allometric relationships in a dominant tree species: Implications for woody biomass production and ecosystem carbon storage. Ecological Applications 26:913-925. Read More
- Gahagan, A., C.P. Giardina, J.S. King, D. Binkley, K.S. Pregitzer, and A.J. Burton. 2015. Carbon fluxes, storage and harvest removals through 60 years of stand development in red pine plantations and mixed hardwood stands in Northern Michigan, USA. Forest Ecology and Management 337:88-97. Read More
- Frey, S.D., S. Ollinger, K. Nadelhoffer, R. Bowden, E. Brzostek, A. Burton, B.A. Caldwell, S. Crow, C.L. Goodale, A.S. Grandy, A. Finzi, M.G. Kramer, K. Lajtha, J. LeMoine, M. Martin, W.H. McDowell, R. Minocha, J.J. Sadowsky, P.H. Templer, and K. Wickings. 2014. Chronic nitrogen additions suppress decomposition and sequester soil carbon in temperate forests. Biogeochemistry 121:305-316. Read More
- Kaarakka, L., P. Tamminen, A. Saarsalmi, M. Kukkola, H.S. Helmisaari, and A.J. Burton. 2014. Effects of repeated whole-tree harvesting on soil properties and tree growth in a Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.) stand. Forest Ecology and Management 313:180-187. Read More
- Talhelm, A.F., K.S. Pregitzer, M.E. Kubiske, D.R. Zak, C.E. Campany, A.J. Burton, R.E. Dickson, G.R. Hendrey, J.G. Isebrands, K.F. Lewin, J. Nagy, and D.F. Karnosky. 2014. Elevated carbon dioxide and ozone alter productivity and carbon storage in northern temperate forests. Global Change Biology 20:2492-2504. Read More
- Jarvi, M.P., and A.J. Burton. 2013. Acclimation and soil moisture constrain sugar maple root respiration in experimentally warmed soil. Tree Physiology 33:949-959. Read More
- Burton, A.J., J.C. Jarvey, M.P, Jarvi, D.R. Zak, and K.S. Pregitzer. 2012. Chronic N deposition alters root respiration-tissue N relationship in northern hardwood forests. Global Change Biology 18:258-266. Read More
- Yordanov YS, Ma C, Strauss SH, Busov VB (2014) EARLY BUD-BREAK 1 (EBB1) is a regulator of release from seasonal dormancy in poplar trees. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 111: 10001-10006 Read More
- Zawaski, Christine and Victor B. Busov. (2014) Roles of gibberellin catabolism and signaling in growth and physiological response to drought and short-day photoperiods in Populus trees. PLOS ONE, 9 (1), e86217 Read More
- Wei, Hairong, Yordan Yordanov, Tatyana Georgieva, Xiang Li, and Victor Busov (2013) Nitrogen deprivation promotes Populus root growth through global transriptome reprogramming and activation of hierarchical genetic networks. New Phytol 200:483-497 Read More
- Elias, Ani A., Victor B. Busov, Kevin R. Kosola, Cathleen Ma, Elizabeth Etherington, Olga Shevchenko, Harish Gandhi, David W. Pearce, Stewart B. Rood, and Steven H. Strauss. (2012) Green revolution trees: Semi-dwarfism transgenes modify gibberellins, promote root growth, enhance morphological diversity, and reduce competitiveness in Populus. Plant Physiol 160: 1130-1144 Read More
- Yordanov Yordan, Sharon Regan and Victor Busov (2010) Members of the LATERAL ORGAN BOUNDARIES DOMAIN (LBD) Transcription Factors Family are Involved in Regulation of Secondary Growth in Populus. The Plant Cell. 22: 3662-3677 Read More
- Gou, J., Strauss, S.H., Tsai, C.J., Fang, K., Chen, Y., Jiang, X., and Busov, V.B. (2010) Gibberellins Regulate Lateral Root Formation in Populus through Interactions with Auxin and Other Hormones. Plant Cell 22:623-639. Read More
- Busov VB, Brunner AM, Strauss SH. 2008. Genes for control of plant stature and form. New Phytologist 177: 589-607.
Molly A. Cavaleri
- Cavaleri MA, Reed SC, Smith K, and Wood TE. (2015) Urgent need for warming experiments in tropical forests. Global Change Biology 21(6):2111-2121.
- Ma R-Y, Zhang J-L, Cavaleri MA, Sterck F, Strijk JS, and Cao K-F. (2015) Convergent evolution towards high net carbon gain efficiency contributes to the shade tolerance of palms (Arecaceae). PLoS ONE, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0140384.
- Coble AP, and Cavaleri MA. (2015) Light acclimation optimizes leaf functional traits despite height-related constraints in a canopy shading experiment. Oecologia, 177:1131-1143.
- Cavaleri MA, Ostertag R, Cordell S, and Sack L. (2014) Native trees show conservative water use relative to invasive trees: results from a removal experiment in a Hawaiian wet forest. Conservation Physiology, 2(1): cou016. doi:10.1093/conphys/cou016.
- Coble AP, and Cavaleri MA. (2014) Light drives vertical gradients of leaf morphology in a sugar maple (Acer saccharum) forest. Tree Physiology, 34: 146-158.
- Coble AP, Autio A, Cavaleri MA, Binkley D, and Ryan MG. (2014) Converging patterns of vertical variability in leaf morphology and nitrogen across seven Eucalyptus plantations in Brazil and Hawaii, USA. Trees: Structure and Function, 28: 1-15.
- Reed SC, Wood TE, Cavaleri MA. (2012) Tropical forests in a warming world. New Phytologist, 193: 27-29.
- Wood TE, Cavaleri MA, and Reed SC. (2012) Tropical forest carbon balance in a warmer world: a critical review spanning microbial- to ecosystem-scale processes. Biological Reviews, 87: 912-927.
- Cavaleri MA and Sack L. (2010) Comparative water use of native and invasive plants at multiple scales: a global meta-analysis. Ecology, 91: 2705-2715..
- Cavaleri MA, Oberbauer SF, Clark DB, Clark DA, and Ryan MG. (2010) Height is more important than light in determining leaf morphology in a tropical rain forest. Ecology, 91: 1730–1739. .
- Ryan MG, Cavaleri MA, Almeida de Campi A, Penchel R, Senock RS and Stape JL. (2009) Wood CO2 efflux and foliar respiration for Eucalyptus in Hawaii and Brazil. Tree Physiology, 29: 1213-1222.
- Cavaleri MA, Oberbauer SF, Ryan MG. (2008) Foliar and ecosystem respiration in an oldgrowth tropical rain forest. Plant, Cell and Environment, 31: 473-483.
- Cavaleri MA, Oberbauer SF, Ryan MG (2006) Wood CO2 efflux in a primary tropical rain forest. Global Change Biology, 12: 2442-2458.
- Cavaleri MA, Gilmore DW, Mozaffari M, Rosen CJ, Halbach TR. (2004) Hybrid poplar and forest soil response to municipal and industrial by-products: A greenhouse study. Journal of Environmental Quality, 33: 1055-1061.
Rodney A. Chimner
- Chimner, R.A., C.A. Ott*, C.H. Perry and R.K. Kolka. 2014. Developing and Evaluating Rapid Field Methods to Estimate Peat Carbon. Wetlands 34:1241-1246. DOI: 10.1007/s13157-014-0574-6.
- Enriquez A.S. *, R.A. Chimner, P. Diehl, M.V. Cremona and G.L. Bonvissuto. 2015. Grazing intensity and precipitation levels influence C reservoirs in Northern Patagonia wet and mesic meadows. In press at Wetland Ecology and Management.
- Schimelpfenig, D.W.*, D.J. Cooper and R.A. Chimner. 2014. Effectiveness of ditch blockage for restoring hydrologic and soil processes in mountain peatlands. Restoration Ecology 22: 257-265. DOI: 10.1111/rec.12053. 34
- Chimner, R.A., G.L. Bonvissuto, M.V. Cremona, J.J. Gaitan, C.R. Lopez. 2011. Ecohydrological conditions of wetlands along a precipitation gradient in Patagonia, Argentina. Ecologia Austral 21:329-337.
- Chimner R.A., D.J. Cooper and J.M. Lemly. 2010. Mountain fen distribution, types and restoration priorities, San Juan Mountains, Colorado, USA. Wetlands 30:763-771.
- Chimner, R.A., J.M. Karberg. 2008. Long-term carbon accumulation in tropical mountain peatlands, Andes Mountains, Ecuador. Mires and Peat 3: Art. 4.
- Dickinson, Y. (2014) Landscape restoration of a forest with a historically mixed-severity fire regime: What was the historical landscape pattern of openings and canopy? Forest Ecology and Management 331:264-271
- Underhill, J., Dickinson, Y.L., Rudney, A. and Thinnes, J. (2014) Silviculture of the Colorado Forest Restoration Initiative. Journal of Forestry 112(5):484-493
- Dickinson, Y.L. and Giles, E. (2014) Monitoring landscape-scale forest heterogeneity: A protocol. CFRI-TB-1404. Colorado Forest Restoration Institute, Ft Collins, CO. 24p.
- Dickinson, Y.L. and the Front Range Roundtable Spatial Heterogeneity Subgroup. (2014) Stand- and Landscape-Scale Desirable Forest Structures for a Restored Front Range. Colorado Forest Restoration Institute, Colorado State University, Technical Brief CFRI-TB-1402, Fort Collins, CO. 18 p.
- Dickinson, Y.L. Zenner, E.K., and Miller, D.A. (2014) Examining the effect of diverse management strategies on landscape scale patterns of forest structure in Pennsylvania using novel remote sensing techniques. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 44: 301-312
- Pelz, K.A. and Dickinson, Y.L. (2014) Monitoring forest cover spatial patterns with aerial imagery: A tutorial. CFRI-TB-1401. Colorado Forest Restoration Institute, Ft Collins, CO
- Zenner, E.K., Dickinson, Y.L. and Peck, J. E. (2013) Recovery of forest structure and composition to harvesting in different strata of mixed even-aged central Appalachian hardwoods. Annals of Forest Science 70(2): 151-159
- Young, N., Reeder, C., Addington, R., Dickinson, Y., Evangelista, P. and Cheng, T. (2013) Colorado Front Range Collaborative Forest Landscape Restoration Project: 2011-2012 Pre- and post-treatment stand structure analyses for the Pike and San Isabel and Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests. Colorado Forest Restoration Institute, Ft Collins, CO.
- Dickinson, Y. L. and Norton, D. A. (2011) Divergent fine-scale spatial patterns in New Zealand’s short tussock grasslands. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 35(1): 76-82
- Dickinson, Y. L. and Zenner, E. K. (2010) Allometric equations for the aboveground biomass of selected common eastern hardwood understory species. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry 27(4): 160-165
- Norton, D.A., Dickinson, Y. and Van Leuween, M. (2007) Ecology of a Ranunculus lyallii population at its eastern distributional limit in Canterbury. New Zealand Journal of Botany 45(1):81-85
- Miller, R.M., Dickinson, Y. and A. Reid. (2005) Maori Connections to Forestry in Feary, S. (ed.) Forestry for Indigenous Peoples: Learning from Experiences. Fenner School of Environment & Society, ANU College of Science, p. 13-22
David J. Flaspohler
- Haskell, D. D.J. Flaspohler, C. Webster, and M. Meyer. 2010 (accepted, in press). Variation in soil temperature, moisture, and plant growth with the addition of down woody material on lakeshore restoration sites. Restoration Ecology.
- Webster, C.R., D.J. Flaspohler, R.D. Jackson, T. Meehan, C. Gratton. 2010 (accepted, in press). Diversity, productivity and landscape-level effects of grasslands managed for biomass production. Biofuels.
- Ford, M. and D. Flaspohler. 2010 (accepted, in press). Scale-dependent response by breeding songbirds to residential development along Lake Superior. Wilson Bulletin of Ornithology.
- Flaspohler, D., C. Giardina, G. Asner, P. Hart, J. Price, C. Ka’apu, and X. Castaneda. 2010. Long-term effects of fragmentation and fragment properties on bird species richness in Hawaiian forests. Biological Conservation 143:280-288.
- Fargione, J.E., T.R. Cooper, D.J. Flaspohler, J. Hill, C.L. Lehman, T. McCoy, S. McLeod, E. J. Nelson, K. S. Oberhauser, and D. Tilman. 2009. Bioenergy and wildlife: Threats and opportunities for grassland conservation. BioScience 59(9):767-778.
- Holmes, S., C. Webster, D. Flaspohler and R. Froese. 2009. Death and Taxus: the cost of high palatability in an era of population decline. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 39:1366-1374.
- Corace, R.G., III, D.J. Flaspohler, L.M. Shartell. 2009. Geographic patterns in openland cover and hayfield mowing in the Upper Great Lakes region: implications for grassland bird conservation. Landscape Ecology 24:309-324.
Robert E. Froese
- Banskota, A., N. Kayastha, M.J. Falkowski, M.A. Wulder, R.E. Froese and J.C. White. 2015. Forest monitoring using Landsat time-series data – A review. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing 40:362-384. Read More
- Vance, E.D., W.M. Aust, R.E. Froese, R.B. Harrison, L.A. Morris and B.D. Strahm. 2014. Biomass harvesting and soil productivity: is the science meeting our policy needs? Soil Science Society of America Journal 78:S95-S104.
- Pond, N.C., R.E. Froese, R.K. Deo and M.J. Falkowksi. 2014. Multiscale validation of an operational model of forest inventory attributes developed with constrained remote sensing data. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing 40:51-67. Read More
- Pond, N.C., R.E. Froese and L.M. Nagel. 2014. Sustainability of the selection system in northern hardwood forests. Forest Science 60(2):374:381. Read More
- Pond, N.C. and R.E. Froese. 2014. Evaluating published approaches for modelling diameter at breast height from stump dimensions. Forestry 87(5):683-696. Read More
- Brosofske, K.D., R.E. Froese, M.J. Falkowski and A. Banskota. 2014. A review of methods for mapping and prediction of inventory attributes for operational forest management. Forest Science 60(4):733-756. Read More
- Witt, J.C., C.R. Webster, R.E. Froese, T.D. Drummer and J.A. Vucetich. 2012. Scale-dependent drivers of ungulate patch use along a temporal and spatial gradient of snow depth. Canadian Journal of Zoology. 90: 972-83. Read More
- Barnes, D., R.E. Froese, R.G. Mannes and B. Warner. 2011. Combined sustainable biomass feedstock combustion, CO2/EOR, and saline reservoir geological carbon sequestration in Northern Lower Michigan, USA: towards negative CO2 emissions. Energy Procedia 4:2955-2962. Read More
- Froese, R.E., D.R. Shonnard, C.A. Miller, K.P. Koers and D.M. Johnson. 2010. Greenhouse gas emissions from coal-fired power plants in the US Great Lakes States. Biomass & Bioenergy 34(3): 251-262. Read More
- Pokharel, B and R.E. Froese. 2009. Representing site productivity in the basal area increment model for FVS-Ontario. Forest Ecology and Management 258: 657-666.
- Holmes, S.A., Webster, C.R., Flaspohler, D.J., and R.E. Froese. 2009. Death and Taxus: the cost of high palatability in an era of population decline. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 39: 1366-1374.
- Johnson, D.M, R.E. Froese, J. Waterstraut, A. Martin-Garcia J.H. Whitmarsh and C.A. Miller. 2009. Business viability of biomass co-firing and gasification for electricity generation. International Journal of Environmental Engineering 1: 405-431.
- Webster, C.R., J.H. Rock, R.E. Froese and M.A. Jenkins. 2008. Drought-herbivory interaction disrupts competitive displacement of native plants by Microstegium vimineum, 10 year results. Oecologia 157: 497-508.
- Pokharel, B. and R.E. Froese. 2008. Evaluating alternative implementations of the Lake States FVS diameter increment model. Forest Ecology and Management 255(5-6): 1759-1771.
- Froese, R.E. and A.P. Robinson. 2007. A validation and evaluation of the Prognosis individual-tree basal area increment model. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 37: 1438-1449.
- Robinson, A.P. and R.E. Froese. 2004. Model validation using equivalence tests. Ecological Modelling 176: 349-358.
Kathleen E. Halvorsen
- Halvorsen, K.E., J.L. Knowlton, A.S. Mayer, C.C. Phifer, T. Martins, E.C. Pischke*, T.S. Propato, C. Garcia, M. Chiappe, A. Eastmond, J. Licata, M. Kuhlberg, R. Medeiros, V. Picasso, G. Mendez, P. Primo, A. Frado, S. Veron, J. Dunn. 2016. Assessing the Success of an International, Interdisciplinary Energy-related Research Project. Journal of Environmental Science and Studies. 6(2)313-323.
- Norris, P., M. O’Rourke, A. Mayer, and K.E. Halvorsen. 2016. Doubling Down: Transdisciplinary Research Team Formation as a Wicked Problem. Invited Manuscript for Special Issue\Wicked Problems. Landscape and Urban Planning. 151(7).
- Asbjornsen, Heidi, Alex S. Mayer, Kelly W. Jones, Theresa Selfa, Leonardo Saenz, Randall K. Kolka, Kathleen E. Halvorsen. 2015. Assessing the Impacts of Payments for Watershed Services on Sustainability in Coupled Natural and Human Systems. Bioscience 65(6)579-91.
- Floress, K., K. Akamani, K.E. Halvorsen, A.T. Kozich*, and M. Davenport. 2015. The Role of Social Science in Successfully Implementing Watershed Management Strategies. Journal of Contemporary Water Research and Education 154(April)85-105.
- Solomon Barry D., Aparajita Banerjee*, Alberto Acevedo, Kathleen E. Halvorsen, and Amarella Eastmond. 2015. Policies for the Sustainable Development of Biofuels in Pan America: A Review and Synthesis of Five Countries. Special Isssue of Environmental Management on Bioenergy across the Americas. 56(6)1276-1294.
- NRC-NAS Committee on Economic and Environmental Impacts of Increasing Biofuels Production (Lave, L.B. (chair), I.C. Burke (co-chair), W.E. Tyner (co-chair), V.H. Dale, K.E. Halvorsen, J.D. Hill, S.R. Kaffka, K.C. Klasing, S.J. McGovern, J.A. Miranowski, A. Patrinos, J.L. Schnoor, D.R. Schweikhardt, T.L. Selfa, B.L. Sohngen, and J.A. Soria). 2011. Renewable Fuel Standard: Potential Economic and Environmental Effects of U.S. Biofuel Policy. Natural Research Council of the National Academies.
- Auer, M.T., Auer, N.A., Barkdoll, B.B., Bornhorst, T.J., Brooks, C., Dempsey, D., Doskey, P.V., Green, S.A., Hyslop, M.D., Kerfoot, W.K., Mayer, A.S., Perlinger, J.A., Shuchman, R., Urban, N.R. and Watkins, Jr., D.W. 2012. The Great Lakes: Foundations of Physics, Hydrology, Water Chemistry, and Biodiversity. In, J. Schnoor (ed.), Water Quality and Sustainability, Elsevier Publishers, London.
- Auer, M.T., Auer, N.A., Barkdoll, B.B., Bornhorst, T.J., Brooks, C., Dempsey, D., Doskey, P.V., Green, S.A., Hyslop, M.D., Kerfoot, W.K., Mayer, A.S., Perlinger, J.A., Shuchman, R., Urban, N.R. and Watkins, Jr., D.W. 2012. The Great Lakes: Nutrients, Sediments, Persistent Pollutants, and Policy Perspectives for a Sustainable Future. In, J. Schnoor (ed.), Water Quality and Sustainability, Elsevier Publishers, London.
- Hyslop, M.D., A.J. Storer, S. Brodeur-Campbell and J. Metzger. 2009. Michigan Ash Monitoring Plot System Upper Peninsula Plot Atlas. School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI.
- Storer, A.J., M.D. Hyslop, N.D. Windmuller, J.C. Witter, J. Stoyenoff. 2009. Southeastern Michigan Recreation Site Ash Survey Maps. School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI.
- Hyslop, M.D., A.J. Storer and J. Oisten. 2009. Upper Peninsula Recreation Site Ash Survey Maps. School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI.
- Storer A.J., M.F. Jurgensen, A.C. Risch, J. Delisle and M.D. Hyslop. 2008. The fate of an intentional introduction of Formica lugubris to North America from Europe. Journal of Applied Entomology 2008 132:4 276.
- Risch, A.C., M.F. Jurgensen, A.J. Storer, M.D. Hyslop and M. Schutz. 2008. Abundance and distribution of organic mound-building ants of the Formica rufa-group in Yellowstone National Park. Journal of Applied Entomology 2008 132:4 326.
- Froese, R.E., M.D. Hyslop, C.A. Miller, B. Garmon, H. McDiarmid, Jr., A. Shaw, L. Leefers, M. Lorenzo, S. Brown and M. Shy. 2007. Large-tract Forestland Ownership Change: Land Use, Conservation, and Prosperity in Michigans Upper Peninsula. National Wildlife Federation, Ann Arbor, MI.
Martin F. Jurgensen
- Page-Dumroese, D.S., M.F. Jurgensen, and T. Terry. 2010. Maintaining Soil Productivity during Forest or Biomass-to-Energy Thinning Harvests in the Western United States. Western Journal of Applied Forestry 25: 5-10.
- Kilpeläinen, J., L. Finér, S. Neuvonen, P. Niemelä, T. Domisch, A.C. Risch, M.F. Jurgensen, M. Ohashi, L. Sundström. 2009. Does the mutualism between wood ants (Formica rufa group) and Cinara aphids affect Norway spruce growth? Forest Ecology and Management 257: 238–243.
- Storer, A.J., M.F. Jurgensen, A.C. Risch, J. Delisle, and M.D. Hyslop. 2008. The fate of an intentional introduction of Formica lugubris to North America from Europe. Journal of Applied Entomology 132: 276-280.
- Tarpey, R.A., M.F. Jurgensen, B.J. Palik, and R. K. Kolka. 2008. The long-term effects of silvicultural thinning and partial cutting on soil compaction in red pine ( Pinus resinosa Ait.) and northern hardwood stands in the northern Great Lakes Region of the United States. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 88: 849-857.
- Page-Dumroese, D.S., Dumroese, R.K., Jurgensen, M.F., Abbott, A., Hensiek, J.J. 2008. Effect of nursery storage and site preparation techniques on field performance of high-elevation Pinus contorta seedlings. Forest Ecology and Management 256: 2065–2072.
- Risch, A.C., M.F. Jurgensen, D.S. Page-Dumroese, O. Wildi, and, M. Schutz. 2008. Long-term development of above- and below-ground carbon stocks following land-use change in subalpine ecosystems of the Swiss National Park. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 38: 1590 – 1602.
- Jurgensen, M.F., L. Finér, T. Domisch, J. Kilpeläinen, P. Punttila, M. Ohashi, P. Niemelä, L. Sundström, S. Neuvonen, and A.C. Risch. 2008. Organic mound-building ants: their impact on soil properties in temperate and boreal forests. Journal of Applied Entomology 132: 266-275.
Evan S. Kane
- Turetsky MR, Kane ES, Harden JW, Ottmar KL, Manies KL, Kasischke ES. 2010. A Changing fire regime intensifies boreal burning. Nature- Geoscience. DOI: 10.1038/NGEO1027.
- Kane ES, Turetsky MR, Harden JW, McGuire AD, Waddington JM. 2010. Seasonal ice and hydrologic controls on dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen concentrations in a boreal rich fen. Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences, doi:10.1029/2010JG001366.
- Kane ES, Hockaday WC, Turetsky MR, Masiello CA, Valentine DW, Finney BP. 2010. Topographic controls on black carbon accumulation in Alaskan black spruce forest soils: implications for organic matter dynamics. Biogeochemistry. DOI 10.1007/s10533-009-9403-z.
- Ball BA, Kominoski JS, Adams HE, Jones SE, Kane ES, Loecke TD, Mahaney WM, Martina JP, Prather CM, Robinson TMP, Solomon CT. 2010. Direct and Terrestrial Vegetation-mediated Effects of Environmental Change on Aquatic Ecosystem Processes. BioScience, 60(8): 590-601.
- O'Donnell JA, Aiken GR, Kane ES, Jones JB. 2010. Source water controls on the character and origin of dissolved organic matter in streams of the Yukon River basin, Alaska. Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences, doi:10.1029/2009JG001153.
- van Verseveld WJ, Kane ES, Sobota DJ, Myers-Smith IH, Fellman JB. 2010. Reply to comment on ‘Kane et al. 2008. Precipitation control over inorganic nitrogen import-export budgets across watersheds: a synthesis of long-term ecological research. Ecohydrology 1: 105–117’. Ecohydrology, DOI: 10.1002/eco.107.
- Ping CL, Michaelson GJ, Kane ES, Packee EC, Stiles CA, Swanson DK, Zaman ND. 2010. Carbon Stores and Biogeochemical Properties of Soils under Black Spruce Forest, Alaska. Soil Science Society of America Journal. doi:10.2136/sssaj2009.0152.
Matthew C. Kelly
- Kelly, M.C., R.H. Germain, and S. Bick. In Press. Impacts of forestry best management practices on logging costs and productivity in the Northeast U.S.A. Journal of Forestry
- Kelly, M.C., R.H. Germain, and S.A. Mack. 2016. Forest conservation programs and the landowners who prefer them: Profiling family forest owners in the New York City Watershed. Land Use Policy. 50 (17-28). Read More
- Kelly, M.C. and R.H. Germain. 2016. Is it efficient to single-handedly run a multi-machine harvesting operation? A case study from the Northeast United States. International Journal of Forest Engineering. 27(3): 140-150. Read More
- Germain, R.H., Bick, S., Kelly, M.C., Benjamin, J. and W. Ferrand. 2016. A case study of three high-performing contract loggers with distinct harvest systems: Are they thriving, striving or just surviving? Forest Products Journal 66(1/2):97–105. Read More
- Kelly, M.C., R.H. Germain, and S.V. Stehman. 2015. Family forest owner preferences for forest conservation programs: A New York case study. Forest Science. 61(3):597-603. Read More
- Germain, R.H., S., Bick, J.G. Benjamin, W. Ferrand, and M.C. Kelly. 2014. Silviculture matters! But not without loggers. Proceedings, Annual Meeting, Council on Forest Engineering, Moline, IL.
- Robinson, S.C., Laks, P.E. and Richter, D.L. 2011. Stimulating Spalting in Sugar Maple Using Sub-lethal Doses of Copper. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products 69(4): 527-532.
- G.M. Larkin, P.E. Laks, M. Mankowski, D. Schubert, N. Miller. 2010. Zinc-Boron-Silicate Wood Preservative Systems. Proceedings of the AWPA Annual Conference, pp.278-286.
- P.E. Laks, D.L. Richter, G.M. Larkin, J.O. Eskola. 2010. A Survey of the Biological Resistance of Commercial WPC Decking. Proceedings of the 10th Pacific Rim Bio-Based Composites Symposium, pp. 193-201.
- Robinson, S.C., Laks, P.E. 2010. The Effects of Sub-threshold Loadings of Tebuconazole, DDAC and Boric Acid on Wood Decay by Postia placenta. Holzforschung 64(4):537-543.
- P.E. Laks, P. I. Morris, G.M. Larkin, and J.K. Ingram. 2008. Field Tests of naturally Durable North American Wood Species. International Research Group on Wood Preservation Doc. IRG/WP 08-10675.
- Andrew, C. J., Lilleskov, E. A. (2009) Productivity and community structure of ectomycorrhizal fungal sporocarps under increased atmospheric CO2 and O3, Ecology Letters, 12, 813-822, Published.
- Lilleskov, E. A., Bruns, T. D., Dawson, T. E., Camacho, F. J. (2009) Water sources and controls on water-loss rates of epigeous ectomycorrhizal fungal sporocarps during summer drought, New Phytologist, 182, 483-494, Published.
- Lilleskov, E. A., Mattson, W. J, Storer, A. J. (2008) Divergent biogeography of native and introduced soil macroinvertebrates in North America north of Mexico, Diversity and Distributions, 14, 893-904, Published.
- Lilleskov, E. A., Wargo, P. M, Vogt, K. M., Vogt, D. J. (2008) Mycorrhizal fungal community relationship to root nitrogen concentration over a regional atmospheric nitrogen deposition gradient in the northeastern USA, Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 38, 1260-1266, Published.
- Karberg, N. J., Lilleskov, E. A. (2008) White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) fecal pellet decomposition is accelerated by the invasive earthworm Lumbricus terrestris, Biological Invasions, 11, 761-767, Published.
- van Diepen, L.T.A, Lilleskov, E. A., Pregitzer, K. S., Miller, R. M. (2007) Decline of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in northern hardwood forests exposed to chronic nitrogen additions, New Phytologist, 176, 175-183, Published.
- Lilleskov, E. A., J.L. Parrent (2007) Can we develop general predictive models of mycorrhizal fungal community-environment relationships?, New Phytologist, , In Press.
- Mason, L.A., A.L. Maclean and R.E. Froese. 2009. GIS Modeling Of Riparian Zones Utilizing Digital Elevation Models And Flood Height Data. Environmental Modeling and Assessment. (in revision).
- S. Saunders, M. Mislivets, K.Brosofske, D. Cleland, and A. Maclean. 2009. Predicting burns in subregional ecological and climatic units of thenorthern Great Lakes Region. Internationational Journal of Wildland Fire. (in review).
- Shonnard, D.R., J.R. Jensen, J.D. Naber, Q. Zhang, A.L. Maclean, K.E. Halvorsen, T.L. Jenkins, C. Polonowski, and J.W. Sutherland. 2008. Wood-to-Wheels: A Multidisciplinary Research Initiative in Sustainable Transportation Utilizing Fuels and Co-Products from Forest Resources. In: Proceedings from Convergence 2008, SAE International, October 20-22, 2008, Detroit, MI USA 2008-21-0026.
- Cleland, David T., Thomas R. Crow, Sari C. Saunders, Donald I Dickmann, Ann L. Maclean James K. Jordan, Richard L. Watson, Alyssa Sloan, Kimberly Brosofske. 2004. “Characterizing Historical and Modern Fires Regimes in Michigan: A Landscape Ecosystem Approach.” Forest Ecology. 19(3):311-325.
- VanLuven, D.M., J.E. Huntoon, and A.L. Maclean. 1999. Determination of the Influence of Wind on the Keweenaw Current in the Lake Superior Basin as Identified by Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer (AVHRR) Imagery. Journal of Great Lakes Research. 25 (3):631- 647.
- Owens, K.E., A.J. Londo, D.D. Reed., A.L. Maclean and G.D. Mroz. 1999. A landscape level comparison of pre-European settlement and current soil carbon storage of a forested landscape in upper Michigan. Forest Ecology and Management. Vol. 113, pp. 179-189.
- Budd, J.W., W.C. Kerfoot and A.L. Maclean. 1998. Documenting complex surface temperature patterns from Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer (AVHRR) imagery of Saginaw Bay, Lake Huron. Journal of Great Lakes Research 24(2): 582-594.
Audrey L. Mayer
- Mu B, HW Li, AL Mayer, RZ He, GH Tian. 2017. Dynamic changes of green-space connectivity based on remote sensing and graph theory: a case study in Zhengzhou, China. Acta Ecologica Sinica 37(14):13pp. [In Chinese]
- Mayer AL. 2017. A scientist on any schedule. Science 355(6323):426. Read More
- Lind-Riehl J, AL Mayer, AM Wellstead, O Gailing. 2016. Hybridization, agency discretion, and the implementation of the Endangered Species Act. Conservation Biology 30(6):1288-1296 Read More
- Mayer AL, B Buma, A Davis, SA Gagné, EL Loudermilk, R Scheller, F Schmiegelow, Y Wiersma, J Franklin. 2016. How landscape ecology informs global land-change science and policy. BioScience 66(6):458-469. Read More
- Vaidya A and AL Mayer. 2016. Criteria and indicators for a bioenergy production industry via stakeholder participation. International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology 23(6):526-540. Read More
- Vaidya A and AL Mayer. 2016. Use of a participatory approach to develop a regional assessment tool for bioenergy production. Biomass & Bioenergy 94:1-11. Read More
- Vaidya A and AL Mayer. 2016. Critical review of the Millennium Project in Nepal. Sustainability 8(10):1043-. Read More
- Rahman SMM and AL Mayer. 2016. Policy compliance recommendations for international shipbreaking treaties for Bangladesh. Marine Policy 73:122-129. Read More
- Rahman SMM, R Handler, AL Mayer. 2016. Life Cycle Assessment of steel in the ship recycling industry in Bangladesh. Journal of Cleaner Production 135:963-971. Read More
- Mu B, AL Mayer, R He, G Tian. 2016. Land use dynamics and policy implications in Central China: a case study of Zhengzhou. Cities 58:39-49. Read More
- Rouleau MD, JF Lind-Riehl, MN Smith, AL Mayer. 2016. Failure to communicate: Inefficiencies in voluntary incentive programs for private forest owners in Michigan. Forests 7(9):199-. Read More
- Hermann DL, WD Shuster, AL Mayer, AS Garmestani. 2016. Sustainability for shrinking cities (Introduction to Special Issue). Sustainability 8(9):911. Read More
- Lind-Riehl J, S Jeltema, M Morrison, G Shirkey, AL Mayer, MD Rouleau, and R Winkler. 2015. Family legacies and community networks shape private forest management. Land Use Policy 45:95-102. Read More
- Toppinen A, A Virtanen, AL Mayer and A Tuppura. 2015. Standardizing CSR via ISO 26000: empirical insights from the forest industry. Sustainable Development 23(3):153-166. Read More
- Tortini R, AL Mayer, and P Maianti. 2015. Using an OBCD approach and Landsat TM data to detect harvesting on nonindustrial private property in upper Michigan. Remote Sensing 7(6):7809-7825. Read More
- Rahman SMM and AL Mayer. 2015. How social ties influence metal resource flows in the Bangladesh ship recycling industry. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 104(A):254-264. Read More
- Hu Y, G Tian, AL Mayer, R He. 2015. Risk assessment of soil erosion by application of remote sensing and GIS in Yanshan Reservoir catchment, China. Natural Hazards 79(1):277-289. Read More
- Kline KL, FS Martinelli, AL Mayer, R Medeiros, COF Oliveira, G Sparovek, ACS Walter, L Venier. 2015. Bioenergy and biodiversity: Key lessons from the Pan American region. Environmental Management 56(6):1377:1396. Read More
- Mayer AL. 2015. Biology in Environmental Management. Pp. 47-73 in Sarkar D, Mukherjee A, Bedwan N, Datta R, Hannigan R (eds.), An Integrated Approach to Environmental Management. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ. Read More
- Kenny, A.L., J.B. Pickens, and B. Orr. 2014. Modeling Teak Introduction on Smallholder Farms in Southern Togo. Journal of Sustainable Forestry.
- Cisz, M.E., M.J. Falkowski, and B. Orr. 2013. Small-scale spatial patterns of Copernicia alba Morong near Bahia Negra, Paraguay. Natural Resources 4:369-377. Read More
- Earnshaw, K.M., and B. Orr. 2013. Soil moisture, field-scale toposequential position, and slope effects on yields in irrigated rice (Oryza sativa L.) fields in Honduras. Agricultural Science. 4(8A):1-8. (Special issue on Water Management in Agriculture.) http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/as.2013.48A001
- Williams, R., T. Kuzmic, and B. Orr. 2013. The Student-Citizen and Study Abroad. J. of Forestry. 111(4):300-302.
- Fox, M.M., S.J. Trull, and B. Orr. 2013. Suitability of Cardamine concatenata (Michx.) Sw. as an Indicator Species on the Ottawa National Forest. Michigan Botanist. 51(4):121-132. (dated 2012, published 2013)
- Fox, M.M., S.J. Trull, and B. Orr. 2012, Effect of Selection Logging on Carex assiniboinensis W. Boott in a Northern Hardwood Stand Michigan Botanist. 51(3):110-116.
- Seib, M.D., K.C. Arnold, and B. Orr. 2012. Effectiveness of 3MTM PetrifilmTM as a Teaching Tool in Rural Mali. Development in Practice. 22(2):267-271.
- Aragona, F.B., and B. Orr. 2011. Agricultural intensification, monoculture and economic failure: The case of onion production in the Tipajara Watershed on the eastern slope of the Bolivian Andes. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture. 35(5):467-492.
- Lincoln, K. and B. Orr. 2011. The use and cultural significance of the pita plant (Aechmea magdalenae) among Ngöbe women of Chalite, Panama. . Economic Botany. 65(1):13-26.
- Rhoades, J.L,. M.S. Demeyan, and B. Orr. 2011. Impacts of Deforestation and Land Cover Change on Mountain Soils in Hrazdan, Armenia. Journal of Sustainable Forestry. 30(7):677-696.
- Paulete, F.E., B. Orr. 2010. Combining Technical Competence and Stakeholder Impact in Environmental Education: The Gambia All Schools Nursery Competition. Applied Environmental Education and Communication. 9(1):18-27.
- Satterlee, B.M., M. Yemefack, and B.D. Orr. 2009. Maize yield and soil property responses to Entada abyssinica (Steud. ex A. Rich.) cuttings in the Adamawa Lowlands, Cameroon. J.of Food, Agriculture and Environment 7(1):192-196.
- Slatton, R., and B. Orr. 2008. A Smorgasbord of Agricultural Technologies: Farmers’ Choices and Lessons from Chalite, Panama. Development in Practice. 18(1):125-130.
- Orr, B. 2007. Cross-Country Skiing USSA Points as a Predictor of Future Performance among Junior Skiers. The Sports Journal. Online. Vol 10, No. 4.
- Jones, Michael J., and B. Orr. 2007. Resin Tapping and Forest Cooperatives in Honduras. J.of Sustainable Forestry 22(3/4):135-169.
- Cohen, M.E., J. B. Pickens, J. Cardenas Castillo, and B. Orr 2005. Ecological suitability and tree seedling survival in the Bolivian Altiplano. Ecologia Austral 15:207-215.
- Jarvis, MC, AM Miller, J Sheahan, K Ploetz, J Ploetz, RR Watson, MP Ruiz, CAP Villapan, JG Alvarado, AL Ramirez, & B Orr. 2005. Edible wild mushrooms of the Cofre de Perote Region, Veracruz, Mexico: an ethnomycological study of common names and uses. Economic Botany. 58(Supplement):S111-S115.
- Ploetz, K., and B. Orr. 2004. Wild herb use in Bulgaria. Economic Botany 58(2):231-241.
Rolf O. Peterson
- Wilmers, C, E. Post, R. Peterson, & J. Vucetich. 2006. Disease-mediated switch from top-down to bottom-up control increases moose population response to climate. Ecology Letters, in press.
- Wright, G.J., R.O. Peterson, D.W. Smith, and T.O. Lemke. 2005. Selection of northern Yellowstone elk by gray wolves and hunters. Journal of Wildlife Management, in press.
- Weise, JW, C Nagaswami, RO Peterson. 2005. River otter hair structure facilitates interlocking to impede penetration of water and allow trapping of air. Canadian Journal of Zoology 83:649-655.
- Jost, C, G Devulder, JA Vucetich, RO Peterson, R Arditi. 2005. The wolves of Isle Royale display scale-invariant satiation and density dependent predation on moose. J. Anim. Ecol., in press.
- Potvin, MJ, D Beyer, TD Drummer, RO Peterson, JA Vucetich, & J Hammill. 2005 Monitoring and habitat analysis for wolves in Upper Michigan. J. Wildlife Management, in press
- Vucetich, JA, & RO Peterson. 2004. The influence of top-down, bottom-up, and abiotic factors on the moose (Alces alces) population of Isle Royale. Proceeding Royal Soc Lond, B 271:183-189.
- Potvin, M.J., R.O. Peterson, and J.A. Vucetich. 2004. Wolf homesite attendance patterns. Canadian Journal of Zoology 82:1512-1518.
- Gollany, H.T., Titus, B.D., Resh, S.C., Cisz, M., Asbjornsen, H., Chimner, R.A., Scott, D., Kaczmarek, D., Leite, L.F.C., Ferreira, A.C.C., Galdos, M.V., Hilbert, J., and Rod, K. In Review. Biogeochemical research priorities for sustainable biofuel and bioenergy feedstock production in Pan-America. Environmental Management.
- Schrank, AJ, SC Resh, WJ Previant, and RA Chimner. In Press. Characterization and Classification of Vernal Pool Vegetation, Soil, and Amphibians of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. American Midland Naturalist.
- Chimner, RA and SC Resh. 2014. Water Sources of Riparian Bur Oak Using Stable Water Isotopes in Homestead National Monument, Nebraska. Natural Areas Journal 34(1):56-64.
- Resh, S.C., L. Joyce, M.G. Ryan. 2008. Fuel Treatments by Mulching—A Synthesis of the Ecological Impacts. In review with USDA-Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station GTR.
- Resh, S.C., M. Battaglia, D. Worledge, and S. Ladiges. 2003. Coarse root biomass for eucalypt plantations in Tasmania, Australia: sources of variation and methods for assessment. Trees: Structure and Function 17:389-399.
- Rothe, A., Cromack, K. Jr., Resh, S., Makineci, E., and Son, Y. 2002. Soil carbon and nitrogen changes under Douglas-fir with and without red alder. Soil Science Society of America Journal 66:1988-1995.
- Resh, S.C., D. Binkley, and J.A. Parrotta. 2002. Greater soil carbon sequestration under nitrogen-fixing tree species compared with Eucalyptus species. Ecosystems 5:217-231.
- Kaye, J., S.C. Resh, M.W. Kaye, and R.A. Chimner. 2000. Nutrient and carbon dynamics in a replacement series of Eucalyptus and Albizia trees. Ecology 81:3267-3273.
- Smith, F.W. and S.C. Resh. 1999. Age-related changes in production and below-ground carbon allocation in Pinus contorta forests. Forest Science 45:1-9.
- Binkley, D. and S.C. Resh. 1999. Rapid changes in soils following Eucalyptus afforestation in Hawaii. Soil Science Society of America Journal 63:222-225.
Dana L. Richter
- Richter, D.L., Dixon, T.G. and Smith, J.K. 2016. Revival of saprotrophic and mycorrhizal basidiomycete cultures after thirty years in cold storage in sterile water. Canadian Journal of Microbiology (In Press)
- Emmanuel Ebanyenle, E., Burton, A.J., Storer, A.J., Richter, D.L. and Glaeser, J.A. 2016 Elevated tropospheric CO2 and O3 may not alter initial wood decomposition rate or wood-decaying fungal community composition of Northern Hardwoods. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation 111:74–77.
- Richter, D.L.and Glaeser, J.A. 2015. Wood decay by Chlorociboria aeruginascens (Nyl.) Kanouse (Helotiales, Leotiaceae) and associated basidiomycete fungi. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation 105:230-244.
- Potvin, L.R., Jurgensen, M.F., Dumroese, R.K., Richter, D.L., Page-Dumroese, D.S. 2014. Mosaic stunting in bareroot Pinus banksiana seedlings is unrelated to colonization by mycorrhizal fungi. New Forests 45 (6); 893-903.
- Richter, D.L. 2013. A Hair and a Fungus: Showing Kids the Size of a Microbe. American Biology Teacher, How To Do It. (In Press, May Issue 2013).
- Bal, T.L., Richter, D.L., Storer, A.J. and Jurgensen, M.F. 2013. The relationship of the sapstreak fungus, Ceratocystis virescens, to sugar maple dieback and decay in Northern Michigan. American J. Plant Sciences. doi:10.4326/ajps2012, 4:436-443.
- X. Ding, M.B. Meneses, S.M. Albukhari, D.L. Richter, L. M. Matuana, and P. A. Heiden. 2013. Comparing Leaching of Different Copper Oxide Nanoparticles and Ammoniacal Copper Salt from Wood Macromolecular Materials and Engineering. Vol. 298, Issue 3:
- Richter, D.L. 2012. The sugar maple sapstreak fungus (Ceratocystis virescens (Davidson) Moreau, Ascomycota) in the Huron Mountains, Marquette Co. Michigan. The Michigan Botanist. Vol. 51:73-81.
- Richter, D.L., A.M. Berns, and C.F. Frederick. 2012. Resistance of Canada Yew (Taxus canadensis) Branch Wood to Two Wood Decay Fungi. Canadian Field-Naturalist 126(2):160-163.
- Potvin, L.R., Richter, D.L., Jurgensen, M.F., and Dumroese, R.K. 2012. Association of Pinus banksiana Lamb. and Populus tremuloides Michx. seedling fine roots by Sistotrema brinkmannii (Bres.) J. Erikss. (Basidiomycotina). Mycorrhiza 22 (8):631-638.
- Salma, U., Chen, N., Richter, D.L., Filson, P.B., Dawson-Andoh, B., Matuana, L., and Heiden, P. 2010. Amphiphilic Core-Shell Nanoparticles to Reduce Biocide Leaching from Treated Wood. Part 1. Leaching and Biological Efficacy. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering (in press).
James M. Schmierer
- Schmierer, James M. 2010. Silvicultural modifications for forest recreation. Invited presentation and panel speaker for joint meeting of Upper MI and WE Society of American Foresters. Mar. 10-11, Marinette, WI.
- Webster, Charels E., David D. Reed, Blair D. Orr, James M. Schmierer, and James B. Pickens. 2009. Expected rates of value growth for individual sugar maple crop trees in the Great lakes Region. Northern journal of Applied Forestry, 26(4): 133-140.
- Schmierer, J.M., J.C. Rivard, and A.L. Gahagan. 2007. Biomass potential in Lake States jack pine managed for multiple objectives. Poster presentation and published abstract, In: Proceedings of Society of American Foresters National Convention, Portland, OR, Oct. 22-28.
- Schmierer, James. 2007. Lowland conifers: ecology, silviculture and management. Invited presentation for WI DNR Forestry Training, Sept. 18-19, Minoqua, WI.
- Schmierer, James. 2006. Ford Forestry Center: 50 years of sustainable management. Invited presentation for Forest Guild Lake States meeting, Sept. 27-30, Boulder Junction, WI.
- Nagel, L.M., and J.M. Schmierer. 2005. An integrated field practicum for forest and applied ecology majors: lessons learned. Poster presentation and published abstract, FIRST II National Meeting, May 13-15, Kellogg Biological Station, MI.
- Schmierer, J.M., G.D. Mroz, and S.D. Noble. 2004. The FERM: Forestry and Environmental Resource Management, pgs. 151-155 in Thomas E. Kolb, compiler. Proceedings of the Fifth Biennial Conference on University Education in Natural Resources, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ, March 13-17. Natural Resources and Environmental Issues, Vol. XII, Quinney Library, College of Natural Resources, Utah State University, Logan, UT.
Andrew J. Storer
- Erbilgin N, TR Gordon, DL Wood and AJ Storer. 2009. Bark beetle (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)-mediated fungal infections of susceptible trees induce resistance to subsequent infections in a dose dependent manner. Agricultural and Forest Entomology 11: 255-263.
- Marshall JM, AJ Storer, I Fraser, JA Beachy and VC Mastro. 2009. Effectiveness of differing trap types for the detection of emerald ash borer (Coleoptera: Buprestidae). Environmental Entomology, 38:1226-1234.
- Erbilgin N, G Ritokova, TR Gordon, DL Wood and AJ Storer. 2008. The pine engraver beetles show temporal variation in their contamination with Fusarium circinatum in Monterey pine forest in California. Plant Pathology Doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3059.2008.01887.x.
- Lilleskov EA, WJ Mattson, AJ Storer. 2008. Divergent biogeography of native and introduced soil macroinvertebrates in North America north of Mexico. Diversity and Distributions 14: 893–904.
- Opuni-Frimpong E, DF Karnosky, AJ Storer and JR Cobbinah. 2008. Key roles of leaves, stockplant age, and auxin concentration in vegetative propagation of two African mahoganies: Khaya anthotheca Welw. and Khaya ivorensis A. Chev. New Forests 36: 115-123.
- Nagel, LM, RG Corace III and AJ Storer. 2008. An experimental approach to testing the efficacy of management treatments for glossy buckthorn (Frangula alnus) at Seney National Wildlife Refuge, Upper Michigan. Ecological Restoration 26: 136-142.
- Opuni-Frimpong E, DF Karnosky, AJ Storer and JR Cobbinah. 2008. Silvicultural systems for plantation mahogany in Africa: Influences of canopy shade on tree growth and pest damage. Forest Ecology and Management 255: 328-333.
Christopher W. Swanston
- Virto, I., C. Moni, C. Swanston, and C. Chenu. 2010. Turnover of intra- and extra-aggregate organic matter at the silt-size scale. Geoderma 156:1-10.
- Nave, L.E., E.D. Vance, C.W. Swanston, and P.S. Curtis. 2010. Harvest impacts on soil carbon storage in temperate forests. Forest Ecology and Management 259:857-866.
- Torn, M.S., C.W. Swanston, C. Castanha, and S. Trumbore. 2009. Storage and Turnover of Organic Matter in Soil, p. 219-272, In P. M. Huang and N. Senesi, eds. Biophysico-Chemical Processes Involving Natural Nonliving Organic Matter in Environmental Systems. Wiley, Hoboken.
- Sollins, P., M.G. Kramer, C. Swanston, K. Lajtha, T. Filley, A.K. Aufdenkampe, R. Wagai, and R.D. Bowden. 2009. Sequential density fractionation across soils of contrasting mineralogy: Evidence for both microbial- and mineral-controlled soil organic matter stabilization. Biogeochemistry 96:209-231.
- Nave, L.E., E.D. Vance, C.W. Swanston, and P.S. Curtis. 2009. Impacts of elevated N inputs on north temperate forest soil C storage, C/N, and net N-mineralization. Geoderma 153:231-240.
- Marin-Spiotta, E., W.L. Silver, C.W. Swanston, and R. Ostertag. 2009. Soil organic matter dynamics during 80 years of reforestation of tropical pastures. Global Change Biology 15:1584-1597.
- Gaudinski, J.B., M.S. Torn, W.J. Riley, C. Swanston, S.E. Trumbore, J.D. Joslin, H. Majdi, T.E. Dawson, and P.J. Hanson. 2009. Use of stored carbon reserves in growth of temperate tree roots and leaf buds: Analyses using radiocarbon measurements and modeling. Global Change Biology 15:992-1014.
John A. Vucetich
- Vucetich JA, Hebblewhite M, Smith DW, Peterson RO. 2011. Predicting Prey population dynamics from kill rate, predation rate and predator-prey ratios in three wolf- ungulate systems. Journal of Animal Ecology (May 13). doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2656.2011.01855.x.
- Nelson, MP, JA Vucetich, PC Paquet, JK Bump. 2011. North American Model: An Inadequate Construct? The Wildlife Professional 58-60 (May 2011).
- Adams JR, LM Vucetich, PW Hedrick, RO Peterson, JA Vucetich. in press. Genomic sweep and potential genetic rescue during limiting environmental conditions in an isolated wolf population. Proceedings Royal Soc B (doi:10.1098/rspb.2011.0261) (March 2011).
- Nelson, MP, JA Vucetich, RO Peterson, LM Vucetich. 2011. The Isle Royale Wolf-Moose Project (1958-present) and the Wonder of Long-Term Ecological Research. Endeavour 35(1):30-38 (Feb 2011).
- Silvia, WJ, RO Peterson, WF Silvia, JA Vucetich, AW Silvia. 2011. The occurrence and morphology of a lateral metatarsal splint bone in moose (Alces alces). The Anatomical Record 294(2):231-235 (Feb 2011).
- Metz, MC, JA Vucetich, DW Smith, DR Stahler, RO Peterson. 2011. Effect of Sociality and Season on Gray Wolf (Canis lupus) Foraging Behavior: Implications for Estimating Summer Kill Rate. PLoS ONE 6(3)e17332 (March 2011).
- Peterson, RO, JA Vucetich, G Fenton, TD Drummer, CS Larsen. 2010. The ecology of arthritis. Ecology Letters doi: 10.1111/j.1461-0248.2010.01504.x (Sept 2010).
- Vucetich JA, Nelson MP. 2010. Sustainability: virtuous or vulgar? Bioscience 60(7):539-544 (July, 2010).
- Carroll, C, Vucetich, JA, Nelson, MP, Rohlf, DJ, Phillips, MK. 2010. Geography and Recovery under the U.S. Endangered Species Act. Conservation Biology, 24(2):395-403.
Leah M. Vucetich
- Oelfke, J, RO Peterson, JA Vucetich, & LM Vucetich. 2003. Wolf handling at Isle Royale: Can we find another approach? George Wright Soc. 20(3):50-58.
- Vucetich, LM; JA Vucetich, CP Joshi, TA Waite, RO Peterson. 2001. Genetic (RAPD) diversity in Peromyscus maniculatus in a naturally fragmentation landscape. Mol. Ecol. 10(1): 35-40.
- Vucetich, LM, Vucetich, JA, Cleckner, LB, Gorski, PR, & RO Peterson. 2001. Mercury concentrations in deer mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus) tissues from Isle Royale National Park. Environmental Pollution 14(1):113-118.
- Paquet, P, JA Vucetich, MK Phillips, LM Vucetich. 2001. Mexican wolf recovery: three-year program review and assessment. Prepared by the Conservation Breeding Specialist Group for the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.
- Oelfke, J, RO Peterson, JA Vucetich, and LM Vucetich. 2000. Wolf research in the Isle Royale wilderness: Do the ends justify the means? In Cole, D. and S. McCool (eds.). Proceedings: Wilderness Science in a time of change. Proc. RMRS-P-000, UT: U.S. Dept of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station.
- Nelson, MP, JA Vucetich, RO Peterson, LM Vucetich. 2011. The Isle Royale Wolf-Moose Project (1958-present) and the Wonder of Long-Term Ecological Research. Endeavour 35(1):30-38.
- Adams JR, LM Vucetich, PW Hedrick, RO Peterson, JA Vucetich. in 2011. Genomic sweep and potential genetic rescue during limiting environmental conditions in an isolated wolf population. Proceedings Royal Soc B 278:3336-3344 (doi:10.1098/rspb.2011.0261)
- Vucetich JA, Vucetich LM, Peterson, RO. 2012. The causes and consequences of partial prey consumption by wolves preying on moose. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 66: 295-303, DOI: 10.1007/s00265-011-1277-0.
- Vucetich JA, Huntzinger BA, Peterson RO, Vucetich LM, Hammill JH, Beyer DE. 2012. Intra-seasonal variation in wolf Canis lupus kill rates. Wildlife Biology 18:1-12.
- Marucco F, Vucetich LM, Peterson RO, Adams JR, Vucetich JA. 2012. Evaluating the efficacy of non-invasive genetic methods and estimating wolf survival during a ten-year period. Conservation Genetics (DOI 10.1007/s10592-012-0412-4) (Sept 2012) 13(6):1611-1622.
- Peterson RO, JA Vucetich and LM Vucetich. 2013. Osteoarthritis in nature: osteoarthritis phenotypes are sexually dimorphic in moose (Alces alces). Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 21:S69.
- Räikkönen J, Vucetich JA, Peterson RO, Nelson MP, Vucetich LM. 2013. What the inbred Scandinavian wolf population tells us about the nature of conservation. PLOS ONE 8(6): e67218. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0067218.
Christopher R. Webster
- Janowiak, M.K., and C.R. Webster. 2010. Promoting ecological sustainability in woody biomass harvesting. Journal of Forestry 108(1):16-23. (featured on cover)
- Stehn, S.E., C.R. Webster, J.M. Glime, and M.A. Jenkins. 2010. Elevational gradients of bryophyte diversity, life forms, and community assemblage in the southern Appalachians. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 40:2164-2174.
- Stehn, S.E., C.R. Webster, J.M. Glime, and M.A. Jenkins. 2010. Ground-layer bryophyte communities of post-adelgid Picea-Abies forests. Southeastern Naturalist 9:435-452.
- Powers, M.D, B.J. Palik, J.B. Bradford, S. Fraver, C.R. Webster. 2010. Thinning method and intensity influence long-term mortality trends in a red pine forest: implications for climate change mitigation. Forest Ecology and Management 260:1138-1148
- Witt, J.C., and C.R. Webster. 2010. Regeneration dynamics in remnant Tsuga canadensis stands in the northern Lake States: potential direct and indirect effects of herbivory. Forest Ecology and Management 269:519-525
- Holmes, S.A, and C.R. Webster. 2010. Acer saccharum response to concurrent disturbances: the importance of stem layering as an adaptive trait. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 40:1627-1635
- Webster, C.R., D.J. Flaspohler, R.D. Jackson, T. Meehan, C. Gratton. 2010. Diversity, productivity and landscape-level effects of grasslands managed for biomass production. Biofuels 1(3):251-461.(invited)
- Gunasekara, C. A. Subramanian, Avvari, R. K., B. Li, Chen, S. and H. Wei. 2016. ExactSearch: A web-based plant motif search tool (http://sys.bio.mtu.edu/motif/index.php). Plant Methods 12:26 Read More
- Kumari, S., W. Deng, C. Gunasekara, V. Chiang, H.S. Chen, H. Ma, X. Davis, and H. Wei. 2016. Bottom-up GGM algorithm for constructing multilayered hierarchical gene regulatory networks that govern biological pathways or processes. BMC Bioinformatics 2016, 17:132 Read More
- Dash, M, Y. Yordan, S. Kumari, T. Georgieva, H. Wei and V. Busov. 2015. A system biology approach identifies new regulators of poplar root development under low nitrogen. Plant Journal, 84(2):335-346 Read More
- Yang, C and H. Wei. 2014, Designing microarray and RNA-seq experiments for greater systems biology discovery in modern plant genomics. Molecular Plant 8, 196–206. Read More
- Lin, Y.C.*, Li, W., Sun, Y.H., Kumari, S., Wei, H., Li, Q.Z., Tunlaya-Anukit, S., Sederoff, R.R., and Chiang, V.L. (2013). SND1 transcription factor-directed quantitative functional hierarchical genetic regulatory network in wood formation in Populus trichocarpa. Plant Cell. 25(11):4324-41. Read More
- Wei, H. Y. Yordan, T. Georgieva, X. Li, V. Busov. 2013. Nitrogen deprivation promotes Populus root growth via global transcriptomic reprogramming and activation of hierarchical genetic networks. New Phytologist 200 (2), 483-97 Read More
- Lu, S., Li, Q., Wei, H., Chang, M.J., Anukit, S.T., Kim, H., Liu, J., Song, J., Sun, Y.H., Yuan, L., Yeh, T.F., Peszlen, I., Ralph, J. Sederoff, R.R., Chiang, V.L. 2013. Ptr-miR397a is a negative regulator of laccase genes affecting lignin content in Populus trichocarpa. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 110 (26) 10848-10853 Read More
- Li, J. H. Wei, T. Liu and P. Zhao. 2013. GPLEXUS: Enable genome-scale gene regulatory network analysis for plants through ultrafast mutual information computing and filtering. Nucleic Acids Research. (online now: 10.1093/nar/gkt983) Read More
- Kumari, S., J. Nie,, H.S. Chen, R. Stewart, H. Ma, X. Li, M. Lu, W.M. Taylor, and H. Wei. 2012. Evaluation of gene association methods for coexpression network construction and biological knowledge discovery. PLos ONE 7(11): e50411 Read More
- Nie, J., R. Stewart, F. Ruan, J. Thomson, H. Zhang, X. Cui and H. Wei. 2011. TF-cluster: a pipeline for identifying functionally coordinated transcription factors via network decomposition of the shared coexpression connectivity matrix (SCCM). BMC Systems Biology, 5:53 Read More
- Cui, X, T. Wang, H.S. Chen, V. Busov and H. Wei. 2010. TF-finder: A software package for identifying transcription factors involved in biological processes using microarray data and existing knowledge base. BMC Bioinformatics, 11:425 Read More
- Ming, R., S. Hou, Y. Feng, Q. Yu, A. Dionne-Laporte, J. Saw, P. Senin, W. Wang, S. Salzberg, X. Wang, E. Lyons, D. Rice, M. Riley, R. Skelton, J. Murray, C. Chen, M. Eustice, E. Tong, H. Albert, R. E. Paull, M.-L. Wang, Y. Zhu, M. Schatz, N. Nagarajan, R. Agbayani, P. Guan, A. Blas, J. Wang, J.-K. Na, T. Michael, E. V. Shakirov, B. Haas, J. Thimmapuram, D. Nelson, H. Tang, J. E. Bowers, J. Suzuki, S. Tripathi, K. Neupane, H. Wei, R. Singh, B. Irikura, N. Jiang, W. Zhang, K. Wall, G. Presting, A. Gschwend, Y. Li, A. Windsor, R. N. Pérez, M. J. Torres, F. A. Feltus, B. Porter, M. Paidi, M.-C. Luo, L. Liu, D. Christopher, P. H. Moore, T. Sugimura, C. dePamphilis, J. Jiang, M. Schuler, T. Mitchell-Olds, D. Shippen, J. Palmer, M. R. Freeling, A. H. Paterson, D. Gonsalves, L. Wang and M. Alam. 2008. The genome sequence of transgenic papaya, Carica papaya. Nature, Vol. 452, No. 7190:991-996 Read More
- Wei, H., P. F. Kuan, S. Tian, C. Yang, J. Nie, S. Sengupta, V. Ruotti, G. Jonsdottir, S. Keles, J. Thomson and R. Stewart. 2008. A study of the relationships between oligonucleotide properties and hybridization intensities in NimbleGen platform. Nucleic Acids Research, Vol. 36, No. 9:2926-2938 Read More
- Pan, P., S. Tian, J. Nie, C. Yang, V. Ruotti, H. Wei, G. Jonsdottir, R. Stewart, and J. Thomson. 2007. Whole genome analysis of Histone H3 lysine 4 and lysine 27 methylation in human embryonic stem cells. Cell Stem Cell, Vol. 1, No 3:299~312. Read More
- Wei, H , S. Persson, T. Mehta, V. Srinivasasainagendra, L. Chen, G. Page, C. Somerville, A. Loraine. 2006. Transcriptional coordination of the metabolic network in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology. 142(2):762-74. Read More
- Persson, S., H. Wei, J. Milne, G. Page, C. Somerville. 2005. Identification of genes required for cellulose synthesis by regression analysis of public microarray data sets. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 102: 8633-8638. (Faculty 1000 evaluation) Read More
- Wei, H., Y. Kaznessis. 2005. Inferring gene regulatory relationships by combining target-target pattern recognition and regulator-specific motif examination. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. Vol. 89, No1: 53-77 Read More
- Albert, H and H. Wei. Sugarcane Ubi9 gene promoter and methods of use thereof. 2004, U.S. Patent No. 6706948
- Yuan Y, Chung J-D, Fu X, Johnson VE, Ranjan P, Booth SL, Harding SA, Tsai C-J (2009) Alternative splicing and gene duplication differentially shaped the regulation of isochorismate synthase in Populus and Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 106: 22020-22025
- Tsai C-J, Harding SA, Tschaplinski TJ, Lindroth RL, Yuan Y (2006) Genome-wide analysis of the structuralgenes regulating defense phenylpropanoid metabolism in Populus. New Phytologist 172: 47-62.
- Chan AP, Pertea G, Cheung F, Lee D, Zheng L, Whitelaw C, Pontaroli AC, SanMiguel P, Yuan Y, Bennetzen J, Barbazuk WB, Quackenbush J, Rabinowicz PD (2006) The TIGR Maize Database. Nucleic Acids Research. 34 (Database issue): D771-6.
- Emberton J, Ma J, Yuan Y, SanMiguel P, Bennetzen JL (2005) Gene enrichment in maize with hypomethylated partial restriction (HMPR) libraries. Genome Research. 15(10): 1441-6.
- Lin, J-Y., B. Hass-Jacobus, P. SanMiguel, J.G. Walling, Y. Yuan, J. Doyle, R.C.Shoemaker, N.D. Young and S.A. Jackson. (2005) Molecular and cytogeneticcharacterization of gene-poor, heterochromatic regions of Glycine max L. Merr. Genetics 170: 1221-1230.
- Whitelaw,C.A.; Barbazuk,W.B.; Pertea,G.; Chan,A.P.; Cheung,F.; Lee,Y.; Zheng,L.; van Heeringen,S.; Karamycheva,S.; Bennetzen, J.L.; SanMiguel,P.; Lakey,N.; Bedell,J.; Yuan,Y.; Budiman,M.A.; Resnick,A.; Van Aken,S.; Utterback,T.; Riedmuller,S.; Williams,M.; Feldblyum,T.; Schubert,K.; Beachy,R.; Fraser,C.M.; Quackenbush,J. (2003) Enrichment of gene-coding sequences in maize by genome filtration. Science 302: 2118-2120.
- Yuan, Y., SanMiguel, P. and Bennetzen, J. (2003) High Cot sequence analysis of the maize genome. Plant Journal. 34 (2): 249-255.