Minors and Certification

If you want to specialize in a discipline outside your major, you can pursue a minor. You must already be enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program. The next step:

It's wise to begin your minor studies as early as possible in your academic career.

Business of Forestry

What happens to a tree once it leaves the forest? The interdisciplinary Business of Forestry minor explores how management of the forest affects the value of the products that we use and drives the economy based on this renewable resource.

Plant Biotechnology

The interdisciplinary Plant Biotechnology minor provides you with a detailed look at plants from the molecular level. Discover how biotechnology reduces pollution from manufacturing processes or provides disease resistance in plants. Gain an understanding of how plant biochemical pathways are being adapted for medicines, increased crop quality and yield, and the capture of carbon.


The interdisciplinary Ecology minor will give you a basic background in ecological principles with required courses and then you may choose electives to tailor to your more specific area of interest including wetlands, streams, wildlife, and plants.

Sustainable Biomaterials

The Sustainable Biomaterials minor is for someone interested in working with plants as a source of renewable energy and building materials. The core courses will provide background on the biomaterials field and sustainability. Electives allow you to focus on biomaterials areas related to sustainable structures, biofuel, polymers, alternative forest products, and policy.