James M. Schmierer
- Noblet Building 130
- School Forester
- Senior Lecturer
- MS, Forestry, Michigan Technological University
- BS, Forestry, Michigan Technological University
- AAS, Forest Technology, Michigan Technological University
Sustainable management of forest resources
As societal demands on forests continue to intensify, true stewards of the land must develop creative management solutions based on a long-term perspective and promoting a wide variety of tangible benefits. As a forester for Michigan Tech, I work with other faculty to conduct research and demonstration to provide a variety of examples of sustainable forest management on university lands and partnering properties.
I have adopted a teaching philosophy, which stresses the development of a necessary set of forestry knowledge and skills. This philosophy incorporates traditional lecture with classroom and field-based activities designed to engage students on several levels. I believe in solidifying important concepts with realistic field exercises, which require students to synthesize information from a variety of sources, and to utilize critical thinking and problem solving skills to produce timely, appropriate, and technically sound solutions.
Areas of Expertise
- Management and silviculture of northern hardwoods and boreal forests
- Timber harvesting and site preparation effects on forest regeneration
- Forest recreational development and management
- Webster, Charels E., David D. Reed, Blair D. Orr, James M. Schmierer, and James B. Pickens. 2009. Expected rates of value growth for individual sugar maple crop trees in the Great lakes Region. Northern journal of Applied Forestry, 26(4): 133-140.
- Schmierer, James M. 2016. Overview of Diversity Treatments in Jack Pine Forests. Poster presentation. Forest Stewards Guild National Meeting. July 13-15, Duluth, MN.
- Schmierer, James M. 2016. Tech Trails: A Model Forest. Poster presentation and published abstract. International Symposium for Society and Resource Management. International Association of Society and Natural Resources, Michigan Tech, June 22-26, Houghton, MI.
- Schmierer, James M., J.W. Forsman and J.C. Rivard. 2014. Improving outreach and education of forest water quality BMPs in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Poster presentation and published abstract, Symposium on Forestry Best Management Practice Effectiveness in the Eastern US. NCASI, SAF, Virginia Tech. May 12-15, Blacksburg, VA.
- Schmierer, James M. 2010. Silvicultural modifications for forest recreation. Invited presentation and panel speaker for joint meeting of Upper MI and WE Society of American Foresters. Mar. 10-11, Marinette, WI.
- Schmierer, J.M., J.C. Rivard, and A.L. Gahagan. 2007. Biomass potential in Lake States jack pine managed for multiple objectives. Poster presentation and published abstract, In: Proceedings of Society of American Foresters National Convention, Portland, OR, Oct. 22-28.
- Schmierer, James. 2007. Lowland conifers: ecology, silviculture and management. Invited presentation for WI DNR Forestry Training, Sept. 18-19, Minoqua, WI.