Researchers at Michigan Tech’s Great Lakes Research Center are at the forefront of advanced research on a multitude of Great Lakes issues. From invasive species and coastal biology to marine engineering and water governance, our researchers work on challenging problems in many different areas. Discover more about Great Lakes research at Michigan Tech below by browsing each researcher’s recent publications.
- Lodge, D.M. et al. 2016. “Risk Analysis and Bioeconomics of Invasive Species to Inform Policy and Management.” Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 41:453-488.
- Warziniack, T., Finnoff, D.C., and J.L. Apriesnig. 2017. “Description of the General Equilibrium Model of Ecosystem Services (GEMES).” Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-359. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 14 p.
- Warziniack, T., Haight, R., Yemshanov, D., Apriesnig, J.L., Holmes, T., Countryman, A., Rothlisberger, J., and C. Haberland. under review. Economics of Invasive Species in Toral Petal-Weynand (Ed.), State of Science for Non-Native Invasive Species.
Martin T. Auer
Auer, M.T., Kieser, M.S., and R.P. Canale. 1986. Identification of critical nutrient levels through field verification of models for phosphorus and phytoplankton growth. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 43(2): 379-388.
Canale, R.P. and M.T. Auer. 1987. Personal computers and environmental engineering. Environmental Science and Technology, 21(10): 936-942.
Auer, M.T. and S.W. Effler. 1989. Variability in photosynthesis: Impact on DO models. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 115(5): 944-963.Effler, S.W., Brooks, C.M., Auer, M.T., and S.M. Doerr. 1990. Free ammonia and toxicity criteria in a polluted urban lake. Research Journal of the Water Pollution Control Federation, 62(6): 771-779.
- Auer, M.T. and S.L. Niehaus. 1993. Modeling fecal coliform bacteria: I. Field and laboratory determination of loss kinetics. Water Research, 27(4): 693-701.
Storey, M.L., Auer, M.T., Barth, A.K., and J.M. Graham. 1993. Site-specific determination of kinetic coefficients for modeling algal growth. Ecological Modelling, 66: 181-196.
Heidtke, T.M. and M.T. Auer. 1993. Application of a GIS-based nonpoint source nutrient loading model for assessment of land development scenarios and water quality in Owasco Lake, New York. Water Science and Technology, 28(3-5): 595-604.
Nancy A. Auer
- Oyadomari, J.K. and N.A. Auer. 2004. Inshore-Offshore distribution of larval fishes in Lake Superior off the western coast of the Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan. Journal of Great Lakes Research. Vol. 30. Supplement 1, 369-384.
- Oyadomari, J.K. and N. A. Auer. 2007. Influence of Rearing Temperature and Feeding Regime on Otolith Increment Deposition in Larval Cisco. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 136(3):766-777.
- Auer, N.A. and E.A. Baker. 2007. Assessment of Lake Sturgeon Spawning Stocks Using Fixed-location, Split-beam Sonar Technology. Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 23:113-121.
- Oyadomari, J.K. and N. A. Auer. 2007. Influence of Rearing Temperature and Feeding Regime on Otolith Increment Deposition in Larval Cisco. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 136 (3):766-777.
- Auer, N.A. and E.A. Baker. 2007. Assessment of Lake Sturgeon Spawning Stocks Using Fixed-location, Split-beam Sonar Technology. Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 23:113-121.
- Oyadomari, J.K. and N. A. Auer. 2008. Transport and growth of larval cisco (Coregonus artedi) in the Keweenaw Current region of Lake Superior. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 65: 1447-1458.
- Chiotti, J.A., Holtgren, J.M., Auer, N.A. and S.A. Ogren. 2008. Lake Sturgeon Spawning Habitat in the Big Manistee River, Michigan. North American Journal of Fisheries Management. 28:1009-1019.
- Auer, N.A. 2009. Importance of woody material in Great Lake aquatic food webs. International Association of Theoretical and Applied Limnology. 30(8):1298-1300.
- Auer, N.A. Requested Book Critique. 2009. Anadromous sturgeons â€“ Whatâ€™s in a name? Environmental Biology of Fishes. 84:153-155.
- Auer, N.A., B.A. Cannon and M.T. Auer. 2009. Life History, Distribution and production of Diporeia near the Keweenaw Peninsula, Lake Superior. Journal of Great Lakes Research. 35:570-590
- Auer, M.T., L. A. Bub, N. A. Auer and N. R. Urban. 2010. Primary production, carbon flux and the distribution of the amphipod Diporeia in Lake Superior. International Association of Theoretical and Applied Limnology. 30(10):1499-1505.
- Homola, J.J., K. T. Scribner, E. A. Baker, and N. A. Auer. 2010. Genetic assessment of straying rates of wild and hatchery reared lake sturgeon (Acipenser fulvescens) in Lake Superior tributaries. Journal of Great Lakes Research. 36 (2010):798â€“802.
- Mann, K.A., J. M. Holtgren, N. A. Auer and S.Ogren. (2011) Comparing size, movement and habitat selection of wild and streamside-reared lake sturgeon. North American Journal Fisheries Management. 31(2):305-314, First published on: 25 April 2011 (iFirst).
- Auer, M.T., N.A. Auer, N.R. Urban and M.T.A.Auer (2/6/2013) Distribution of the Amphipod Diporeia in Lake Superior:The Ring of Fire. International Journal of Great Lakes Research, vol. 39 (1):33-46.
- Auer, M.T., Auer, N.A., Barkdoll, B.B., Bornhorst, T.J., Brooks, C., Dempsey, D., Doskey, P.V., Green, S.A., Hyslop, M.D., Kerfoot, W.K., Mayer, A.S., Perlinger, J.A., Shuchman, R., Urban, N.R. and Watkins, Jr., D.W. NOV 2013. The Great Lakes: Foundations of Physics, Hydrology, Water Chemistry, and Biodiversity. In, J. Schnoor (ed.), Water Quality and Sustainability, Elsevier Publishers, London. Auer, M.T., Auer, N.A., Barkdoll, B.B., Bornhorst, T.J., Brooks, C., Dempsey, D., Doskey, P.V., Green, S.A., Hyslop, M.D., Kerfoot, W.K., Mayer, A.S., Perlinger, J.A., Shuchman, R., Urban, N.R. and Watkins, Jr., D.W. NOV 2013. The Great Lakes: Nutrients, Sediments, Persistent Pollutants, and Policy Perspectives for a Sustainable Future. In, J. Schnoor (ed.), Water Quality and Sustainability, Elsevier Publishers, London.
- Dempsey D. and N. Auer. (editors and authors) 6/2013. The Great Lake Sturgeon. Michigan State University Press. Chapters: Auer, N. Form and Function Chapter, Auer, N. Preface and Conclusion Chapter, Importance of Connectivity and Corridors for Migration and Future Management and Stewardship of Lake Sturgeon, and Baker, E.A. and N. Auer, Sturgeon Habitat, Foods, and Feeding
Brian D. Barkdoll, PE
- Alizadeh Fard, M., Vosoogh, A., Barkdoll, B., and Aminzadeh, B. (2017). "Using polymer coated nanoparticles for adsorption of micropollutants from water." Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects , https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2017.08.008
- Kierys, D. and Barkdoll, B.D. (2017). “Sustainability-inspired composting latrine design.” Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development.
- Champagne, T.M., Barkdoll, B.D., and González-Castro, J.A. (2017). “Experimental Study of Scour Induced by Temporally-Oscillating Hydraulic Jump in a Stilling Basin.” J. Irrigation and Drainage Engineering.
- Bhattu, B., Barkdoll, B.D., and Breffle, W.S. (2017). “A Sustainability-Based Socio-Technical-Environmental Project Selection Algorithm.” Sustainable Water Resources Management.
- Champagne, T.M.; Barkdoll, B.D.; Gonzalez-Castro, J.A.; Deaton, L. (2016). "Scour reduction by air injection: Flow patterns and turbulence." Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, v 142, n 3,March 1, 2016.
- Barkdoll, B.D.; Murray, K.; Sherrin, A.; O'Neill, J.; Ghimire, S. R. (2016). "Effective-Power-Ranking Algorithm for Energy and Greenhouse Gas Reduction in Water Distribution Systems through Pipe Enhancement." Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, v 142, n 1, January 1, 2016.
- Pebler, P.T. and Barkdoll, B.D. (2016). "Sustainable sanitation, improved use of composting latrines through mixing and moisturizing: case study in Paraguay." Environment, Development, and Sustainability, DOI 10.1007/s10668-016-9780-0.
- Arnold, N., Archer, A., and Barkdoll, B.D. (2016). “Bacterial adaptation and performance of household biosand water filters in differing temperatures.” Water Science and Technology: Water Supply.
- Barkdoll, B., Kantor, C., Wesseldyke, E., and Ghimire, S. (2016). "Stormwater Low-Impact Development: A Call to Arms for Hydraulic Engineers." J. Hydraul. Eng. , 10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0001152 , 02516002
- Barlock, R., Barkdoll, B., and González-Castro, J. (2016). "Experimental Demonstration of a New Extension Plate Scour Countermeasure Downstream of Stilling Basins." J. Hydraul. Eng. , 10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0001183 , 06016013.
- Abbott, O’Neill, Barkdoll (2014) “Adaptive Greedy Heuristic Algorithm for Redundancy Augmentation by Loop Addition in Branched Water Distribution Systems.” ASCE J. Water Resources Planning Management, 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000480 , 06014005
- Anderson, M.J.; Barkdoll, B.D. "Incorporation of air emissions in dredging method selection." Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, v 136, n 4, p 191-199, July/August 2010.
Penhale, Miles B., Barnard, Andrew R., Shuchman, R. A., "Multi-modal and Short-range Transmission Loss in Thin, Ice-covered, Near-shore Arctic Waters," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 143, No. 5, May 2018, pp. 3126-3137. DOI:10.1121/1.5038569
Asgarisabet, Mahsa, Barnard, Andrew R., "Multi-Physics Simulation of Ultra-Lightweight Carbon Nanotube Speakers," SAE International Journal of Materials and Manufacturing, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 395–401, Jun 2017. DOI: 10.4271/2017-01-1816 Dutta, Trinoy, Barnard, Andrew R., "Performance of Hard Disk Drives in High Noise Environments," Noise Control Engineering Journal, Vol. 65, No. 5, pp. 386-395, Sep 2017. DOI: 10.3397/1/376555
- Barnard, Andrew R., "Quantifying Acoustic Sources through Sound Power Measurements," Sound and Vibration, Materials Reference Issue, Jul 2014, Vol. 48, No. 7, pp. 8 – 11
- Barnard, Andrew R., Brungart, Timothy A., McDevitt, Timothy E., Aliev, Ali E., Jenkins, David M., Kline, Brian L., Baughman, Ray H., "Advancements Toward a High-power, Carbon Nanotube, Thin-film Loudspeaker," Noise Control Engineering Journal, Sep 2014, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2014, pp.360 – 367, DOI: 10.3397/1/376235
- Barnard, Andrew, Brungart, Timothy, McDevitt, Timothy, Jenkins, David, Kline, Brian, 2013, “Feasibility of a high-powered carbon nanotube thin-film loudspeaker,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. Express Letters, 134(3), EL276-EL281.
- Barnard, Andrew, Hambric, Stephen, Maynard, Julian, 2012, “Underwater measurement of sound power and directivity using Supersonic Intensity in Reverberant Environments,” J. Sound and Vib., 331, pp. 3931-3944.
- Conlon, Stephen, Evans, Samuel, Smith, Edward, Romano, Peter, Barnard, Andrew, 2012, “OH-58 Tailboom Damage Detection Study,” Proc. Am. Helicopter Society 68th Annual Meeting, May 2012, Fort Worth, TX.
- Barnard, Andrew, Porter, Scott, Bostron, Jason, terMeulen, Ryan, Hambric, Stephen, 2011, “Evaluation of crowd noise levels during college football games,” Noise Control Eng. J., 59(6), pp. 667-680.
- Barnard, Andrew, Hambric, Stephen, 2011, “Design and implementation of a shielded underwater vector sensor for laboratory environments,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 130(6), EL387-EL391.
- Semperlotti, Fabio, Conlon, Stephen, Barnard, Andrew, 2011, “Airframe structural damage detection: A non-linear structural surface intensity based technique,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 129(4), EL121-EL127.
- Jason Bostron, Timothy Brungart, Andrew Barnard, Timothy McDevitt, “Atmospheric effects on voice command intelligibility from acoustic hail and warning devices,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 129(4), 2237-2244, (2011).
- Andrew Barnard, David Jenkins, Timothy Brungart, Timothy McDevitt, Brian Kline, Nicholas Nicholas, “Beam steering for a long range acoustic hail and warning device for maritime applications,” Noise Control Eng. J., 59(1), 1-9, (2011).
- Timothy Brungart, Andrew Barnard, Timothy McDevitt, David Jenkins, Brian Kline, Nicholas Nicholas, “Development of a long range acoustic hail and warning device for maritime applications,” Noise Control Eng. J., 57(1), 1-9, (2009).
- Andrew Barnard, Philip Gillett, Kamal Idrisi, Stephen Hambric, Marty Johnson, “Noise levels during college football games and associated effects on players and fans,” Proc. of 2008 ASME NCAD Conference, NCAD2008-73012, Dearborn, MI, (2008).
Leonard J. Bohmann
- Dana Johnson, Leonared Bohmann, Kris Mattila, Amlan Mukherjee, Nilufer Onder, John Sutherland, “Integrating a Multi‐Disciplinary Program Using Concept Mapping”, 20th annual Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society (POM 2009), May 1 – 4, 2009, Orlando, FL, paper 011‐0252, http://coba.georgiasouthern.edu/hanna/FullPapers/011‐0252.pdf
- Dana Johnson, Leonared Bohmann, Kris Mattila, Amlan Mukherjee, Nilufer Onder, John Sutherland, “Developing a Curriculum in Service Systems Engineering,” Accepted to the IIE Annual Conference and Expo 2009, Miami, FL, May 30 – June 3, 2009.
- Johnson, D.M., Graman, G.A., Bohmann, L.J., Mattila, K., Onder, N., and Sutherland, J.W., (May 2008). "Service Systems Engineering: New Course Development – Service Systems Operations," refereed paper published in proceedings 2008 POMS Conference, La Jolla, CA.
- James McCalley, Leonard Bohmann, Karen Mu, Noel Schulz, “Electric Power Engineering Education Resources 2005‐06, IEEE Power Engineering Society Committee Report, The Power Engineering Education Committee (PEEC) Task Force on Educational Resources” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 23, No.1, pp. 1‐24, February, 2008.
- Bohmann, L., Johnson, D. M., Mattila, K., Onder, N., Sutherland, J., “Update on Service Systems Engineering Curriculum - One Year Later”, Decision Sciences Institute 2007 Annual Meeting Phoenix, AZ.
- Electric Power Engineering Education Resources 2001-02, IEEE Power Engineering Society Committee Report, James McCalley, Leonard Bohmann, Karen Mu, Noel Schulz, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 18, No.4, pp. 1703-1722, November, 2004.
- LJ Bohmann, BA Mork, DO Wiitanen, "Power Engineering Design Projects: Capstone Team Projects versus Topical Design" IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, special section on Power Engineering Education, Volume: 19 , Issue: 1 , Feb. 2004 Pages:152 - 156.
William S. Breffle
- Jin, Y., R.P. Donovan, and W.S. Breffle. 2019. Applying a Dynamic Model to Assess the Carrying Capacity of Natural Resources in the Great Lakes Environment, in Current Research in Education and Social Studies Volume 2 (R. Bag, ed.), Book Publisher International, London UK.
- Dillingham, R., W.S. Breffle, and M.C. Kelly. 2018. A latent-class discrete-choice model of demand for economics electives: A case study on the challenge to increase enrollment. Journal of Marketing for Higher Education. DOI: 10.1080/08841241.2018.1426673.
- Bhattu, B., B. D. Barkdoll, and W.S. Breffle. 2018. A sustainability-based socio-technical-environmental project selection. Sustainable Water Resources Management. 4(1):117-128.
- Jin, Y., R.P. Donovan, and W.S. Breffle. 2016. A dynamic model to assess the carrying capacity of a defined system. Journal of Sustainable Development 9(4):151-164.
- Breffle, W.S., M. Eiswerth, D. Muralidharan, and J. Thornton. 2015. Understanding how income influences willingness to pay for joint programs: A more equitable value measure for the less wealthy. Ecological Economics 109:17-25.
- Wright, S., D. Muralidharan, A. Mayer, and W.S. Breffle. 2014. Using contingent valuation to estimate the willingness to pay for improved water supplies in rural Ugandan villages. Journal of Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene for Development 4(3):490-498.
- Breffle, W.S., D. Muralidharan, R.P. Donovan, F. Liu, A. Mukherjee, and Y. Jin. 2013. Socioeconomic evaluation of the impact of natural resource stressors on human-use services in the Great Lakes Environment: A Lake Michigan case study. Resources Policy 38:152-162.
- Chestnut, L.C., R.D. Rowe, and W.S. Breffle. 2012. Economic valuation of mortality-risk reduction: stated preference estimates from the U.S. and Canada. Contemporary Economic Policy 30(3):399-416.
- Breffle W.S., E.R. Morey, and J.A. Thacher. 2011. A joint latent-class model: combining Likert-scale preference statements with choice data to harvest preference heterogeneity. Environmental and Resource Economics 50:83-110.
- Breffle, W. S. 2009. In pursuit of the optimal design: a guide for choice experiment practitioners. International Journal of Ecological Economics and Statistics 14(S09):3-14.
- Breffle, W. S., Maroney, K. K. 2009. The restoration of fishing services and the conveyance of risk information in the southern California bight. Marine Policy 33:561-570.
- Morey, E.R., W.S. Breffle, and P.A. Greene. 2008. Two Nested Constant-Elasticity-of-Substitution Models of Recreational Participation and Site Choice: An “Alternatives” Model and an “Expenditures” Model, in Revealed Preference Approaches to Environmental Valuation Volume I (J. Herriges and C. Kling, eds.), International Library of Environmental Economics and Policy, Ashgate Publishing Limited, U.K.
Gary A. Campbell
- Campbell, G. A. (2014). Linda Wärell, "Rare Earth Metals: A Strategic Concern" in Mineral Economics (vol. 27, 1 #, pp. 21-31) , Springer.
- Campbell, G. A., Roberts, M. C. (2010). Philip Maxwell (Ed.), "Permitting a New Mine: Insights from the Community Debate," Resources Policy (vol. 35, # 3, pp. 210-217) . Amsterdam: Elsevier. Read More
- Campbell, G. A., Walck, C. L., Hartingh, A. (2010). "Conflict over the Sustainability of Copper Mining: Experiences from MI & WI," Proceedings-Copper 2010 (1, pp. 351-364) . Hamburg: GDMB.
- Campbell, G. A., Walck, C. L. (2008). "The Debate over the Impact of Mining on the Environment and Sustainability in the Local Community," (ed., pp. 1-6). Littleton, Colorado: Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration.
- Campbell, G. A. (2008). Robert F. Gormon (Ed.), April 5, 1979: Carter Orders Deregulation of Oil Prices, (pp. 1122-1124). Pasadena, CA: Great Events from History: The Twentieth Century, 1971-2000/Salem Press.
- Hutchins, M. J., Walck, C. L., Sterk, D. P., Campbell, G. A. (2007). Walck, C. L. (Ed.), "Corporate Social Responsibility - A Unifying Discourse for the Mining Industry," (52nd ed., pp. 17-30). Greener Management International: The Journal of Corporate Environmental Management and Strategy.
- Blake, A., Campbell, G. A. (2007). Campbell, G. A., Brown, E. D. (Ed.), "Conflict over flying fish: The dispute between Trinidad & Tobago and Barbados," (3rd ed., vol. 31, pp. pp. 327-335). Elsevier: Marine Policy.
- Campbell, G. A. (2007). Spooner, J., e. (Ed.), "Macro trends in Copper Consumption," (vol. I, pp. 487-500). Montreal, Quebec/MetSoc: Proceedings of the Sixth International Copper-Cobre Conference.
- Campbell, G. A. (2007). Gorman, R. F. (Ed.), "Oil is discovered in Nigeria," (pp. 1629-1631). Pasadena, CA: Great Events from History: The Twentieth Century, 1941-1970.
- Campbell, G. A. (2007). Campbell, G. A., Gorman, R. (Ed.), "Commercial Quantities of Oil Discovered in Saudi Arabia," (pp. 3096-3098). Pasadena, CA: Great Events from History: The Twentieth Century, 1901-1940/Salem Press.
- Carter, A. and A. Lazaro Lopez. 2019. "Rebranding the Farmer: Formula Story Revision and Masculine Symbolic Boundaries in US Agriculture. " Feminist Formations 31:3: 25-50.
- Carter, A. and A. Kruzic. 2019. "'No Soil in Our Oil!": Shifting Narratives from Commodities to the Commons." in Social Movements Contesting Natural Development. John Devlin, Ed. New York: Routledge.
- Carter, A. 2019. "We Don't Equal Even Just One Man": Gender and Social Control in Conservation Adoption." Society & Natural Resources 32(8): 893-910.
- Carter, A., B. Wells, and A. Kruzic. 2019. "Social Justice, Corporate Influence, and Development: Defending the Public Interest at a State University." Theory in Action 12(1): 54-85.
- Carter, A., C. Chennault, and A. Kruzic. 2018. "Public Action for Public Science: Re-Imagining the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture." Capitalism Nature Socialism 29(1): 69-88.
- Carter, A. and A. Kruzic. 2017. "Centering the Commons, Creating Space for the Collective: Ecofeminist #NoDAPL Praxis in Iowa." Journal of Social Justice 7:2-22.
- Carter, A. 2017. "Placeholders and Changemakers: Women Farmland Owners Navigating Gendered Expectations." Rural Sociology 82(3): 499-523.
- Carter, A. 2017. "Changes on the Land: Gender and Power of Social Networks." Pp. 76-93 in Land Justice: Re-Imagining Land, Food and the Commons in the United States . Eric Holt-Gimenez and Justine Williams, eds. Oakland: Food First.
- Carter, A., B. Wells, J. Soulis, and A. Hand. 2016. "Building Power Through Community: Women Creating and Theorizing Change." Pp. 225-239 in Women in Agriculture Worldwide: Key Issues and Practical Approaches. Amber J. Fletcher and Wendee Kubik, eds. New York: Routledge.
- Carter, A., C. M. Prado-Meza, J. Soulis, and D. Thompson Bello. 2014. "Students Creating Curriculum Change: Sustainable Agriculture and Social Justice." Journal of Critical Thought and Praxis 3(1):article 5.
- Tiwari M, Krishnamurthy S, Shukla D, Kiiskila J, Jain A, Datta R, Sharma N, Sahi SV (2016) Comparative transcriptome and proteome analysis to reveal the biosynthesis of gold nanoparticles in Arabidopsis. Nature Scientific Reports 6: 21733. DOI: 10.1038/srep21733 Read More
- Pidatala VR, Li K, Sarkar D, Wusirika R, Datta R (2016) Identification of biochemical pathways associated with lead tolerance and detoxification in Chrysopogon zizanioides L. Nash (vetiver) by metabolic profiling. Environ. Sci. Technol. 50 (5): 2530–2537 38, 868‐877. Read More
- Dhawi F, Datta R, Wusirika R (2016) Mycorrhiza and heavy metal resistant bacteria enhance growth, nutrient uptake and alter metabolic profile of sorghum grown in marginal soil. Chemosphere 157: 33–41 Read More
- Kiiskila JD, Das P, Sarkar D, Datta R (2015) Phytoremediation of Explosive-Contaminated Soils. Curr. Pollution Rep. 1: 23-34 (INVITED ARTICLE). Read More
- Punamiya P, Sarkar D, Rakshit S, Elzinga EJ, Datta R (2015) Immobilization of tetracyclines in manure and manure-amended soils using aluminum-based drinking water treatment residuals. Environ Sci Pollut Res. 23(4): 3322–3332 Read More
- Dhawi F, Datta R, Wusirika R (2015) Mycorrhiza and PGPB modulate maize biomass, nutrient uptake and metabolic pathways in maize grown in mining-impacted soil. Plant Physiol. Biochem. 97: 390–399. Read More
- Das P, Sarkar D, Makris KC, Datta R (2015) Urea-facilitated uptake and nitroreductase-mediated transformation of 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene in soil using vetiver grass. J. Environ. Chem. Eng. 3 (1): 445–452. Read More
- Li K, Pidatala R, Shaik , Datta R, Wusirika R (2014) Integrated metabolomic and proteomic approaches dissect the effect of metal resistant bacteria on maize biomass and copper uptake, Environ. Sci. Technol. 48: 1184-1193. Read More
- Nagar R, Sarkar D, Makris KC, Datta R (2014) Arsenic bioaccessibility and speciation in the soils amended with organoarsenicals and drinking-water treatment residuals based on a long-term greenhouse study. J. Hydrol. 518 (C): 477–485. Read More
- Rakshit S, Sarkar D, Elzinga EJ, Punamiya P, Datta R (2014) Surface complexation of oxytetracycline by magnetite: Effect of solution properties. Vadose Zone J. 13(2): 147 Read More
- Quazi S, Sarkar D and Datta R (2013) Human health risk from arsenical pesticide contaminated soils: A long-term greenhouse study. J. Hazardous Materials. 262 (15): 1031-1038. Read More
- Punamiya R, Sarkar D, Rakshit S, Datta R (2013) Effectiveness of Al-based Drinking Water Treatment Residual as a Novel Sorbent to Remove Tetracyclines from Aqueous Medium. J Environ Qual. 42(5): 1449-1459. Read More
- Das P, Sarkar R, Makris K, Punamiya P, Datta R (2013) Effectiveness of Urea in Enhancing the Extractability of 2,4,6 Trinitrotoluene from Chemically Variant Soil. Chemosphere: 93(9): 1811-1817. Read More
- Datta R, Das P, Smith S, Punamiya P, Ramanathan DM, Reddy R, Sarkar D (2013) Phytoremediation potential of vetiver grass [Chrysopogon zizanioides (l.)] For tetracycline. International. J. Phyto. 15: 343-351 Read More
Carolyn A. Duncan
- Komisar, V., McIlroy, W. E., Duncan. C. A. (2019). A review of balance recovery in occupational environments: Insights to improve current practices and future research endeavors for preventing falls. IISE Transactions on Occupational Ergonomics and Human Factors, 7(2).
- Duncan, C. A., MacKinnon, S. N., Marais, J., Basset, F. (2018) Energy cost associated with moving platforms. PeerJ, 6, e5439.
- Duncan, C. A., Ingram, T. G., Mansfield, A., McIlroy, W. E., & Byrne, J. M. (2018). Differences in lower limb muscle activation and centre of pressure movement between expert workers and novices in simulated maritime environments. IISE Transactions on Occupational Ergonomics and Human Factors, 6(1), 21-31.
- Duncan, C. A., Hickey, C. J., & Byrne, J. M. (2018). The effects of a moving environment on postural control and task performance during manual materials handling, visual tracking and arithmetic tasks. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 66, 221-229.
- Schinkel-Ivy, A., Duncan, C. A. (2018). The effects of short-term and long-term experiences on co-contraction of lower extremity postural control muscles during continual support-surface perturbations. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 39, 42-48.
John S. Gierke, PE
- *Fuchs, V.J., J.R. Mihelcic, and J.S. Gierke, “Life cycle assessment of vertical and horizontal flow constructed wetlands for wastewater treatment considering greenhouse gas emissions,” Water Research, Accepted Pending Revisions, revisions submitted 17 December 2010.
- *Fuchs, V.J., J.S. Gierke, and J.R. Mihelcic, “Laboratory investigation of ammonium and nitrate removal in vertical flow regimes in planted and unplanted wetland columns,” Journal of Environmental Engineering, in review, submitted 20 September 2010.
- *Bruning, J.N., J.S. Gierke, and A.L. Maclean, “Identifying Lineaments for Groundwater Exploration using Remotely Sensed Imagery,” Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, accepted for publication 22 December 2010.
- McCray, J.E., G.R. Tick, J.W. Jawitz, M.L. Brusseau, J.S. Gierke, R.W. Falta, R.C. Knox, D.A. Sabatini, J. Harwell, M.D. Annable, A.L. Wood, C.G. Enfield, “Remediation of NAPL Source-Zones: Lessons Learned from Legacy Field Studies,” Ground Water, in press.
- *Bachmann LeFevre, N-J., D.J. Watkins, Jr., J.S. Gierke, and J. Brophy-Price “Hydrologic Performance Monitoring of an Underdrained Low-Impact-Development Stormwater Management System,” Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 136(5), 289-353, 2010.
- *Hutchins, M. J., J. S. Gierke, and J. W. Sutherland, “Decision Making for Social Sustainability: A Life-Cycle Assessment Approach,” (Refereed) Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE International Symposium on Sustainable Systems & Technology (ISSST) and 2009 IEEE International Symposium on Technology and Society (ISTAS), May 18 – 20, 2009, Tempe, AZ, on CD-ROM.
- *Huntzinger, D.N., J.S. Gierke, L.L. Sutter, S.K. Kawatra, and T.C. Eisele, “Mineral Carbonation for Carbon Sequestration in Cement Kiln Dust from Waste Piles,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, in press. doi:10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.01.122
Hugh S. Gorman
- Valoree S. Gagnon, Hugh S. Gorman, and Emma S. Norman, “Power and Politics in Research Design and Practice: Opening Space for Social Equity in Interdisciplinary, Multi-Jurisdictional, and Community-Based Research,” Gateways: Journal of Community Research and Engagement (forthcoming 2017).
- Hugh S. Gorman, “The Role of Businesses in Constructing Systems of Environmental Governance,” in Green Capitalism? Business and the Environment in the Twentieth Century, ed. Hartmut Berghoff and Adam Rome (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2017), 33-50.
- Hugh S. Gorman, Valoree S. Gagnon, and Emma S. Norman, “Local Impacts, Global Sources: The Governance of Boundary-Crossing Chemicals,” History of Science 54 (2016): 443-459.
- Hugh S. Gorman, “Thinking in Cycles: Flows of Nitrogen and Sustainable Uses of the Environment” in Managing the Unknown, ed. Frank Uekotter and Uwe Lübken (New York: Berghahn, 2014), 32-52.
- Hugh S. Gorman, “Learning from 100 Years of Ammonia Synthesis: Establishing Human-Defined Limits through Adaptive Systems of Governance,” GAiA: Ecological Perspectives for Science and Society 22 (2013): 263-270.
Sarah A. Green
- Hering, J. G., D. A. Dzombak, S.A. Green, R. G. Luthy, D. Swackhamer. (2014). Engagement at the Science–Policy Interface. Environmental Science and Technology, 48 (19), 11031–11033.
- Cook, J., Nuccitelli, D., Green, S. A., Richardson, M., Winkler, B., Painting, R., R. Way, P. Jacobs, A. Skuce (2013). Quantifying the consensus on anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature. Environmental Research Letters, 8(2), 024024. Read More
- Kerfoot, W. C., Yousef, F., Green, S. A., Regis, R., Shuchman, R., Brooks, C. N., Sayers, M., et al. (2012). Light detection and ranging (LiDAR) and multispectral studies of disturbed Lake Superior coastal environments. Limnology And Oceanography, 57(3), 749–771. doi:10.4319/lo.2012.57.3.0749.
- Zhu, S., Zhang, J., Vegesna, G., Luo, F.-T., Green, S. A., & Liu, H. (2011). Highly water-soluble neutral BODIPY dyes with controllable fluorescence quantum yields. Organic letters, 13(3), 438–441. doi:10.1021/ol102758z.
- Kerfoot, W. C., F. Yousef, S. A. Green, J. W. Budd, D. J. Schwab, and H. A. Vanderploeg (2010), Approaching storm: Disappearing winter bloom in Lake Michigan, Journal of Great Lakes Research, 36, 30-41.
- Qiu, R., S. A. Green, R. E. Honrath, M. C. Peterson, Y. Lu, and M. Dziobak (2002), Measurements of JNO3- in Snow by Nitrate-Based Actinometry, Atmospheric Environment, 36, 2563-2571.
- Jia, M., Tang, Y., Lam, Y-F., Green, S. A., & Blough, N. V. (2009). Prefluorescent nitroxide probe for the highly sensitive determination of peroxyl and other radical oxidants. Analytical Chemistry, 81(19), 8033–8040. doi:10.1021/ac901374m.
- Donuru, V. R., G. K. Vegesna, S. Velayudham, S. Green, and H. Y. Liu (2009), Synthesis and Optical Properties of Red and Deep-Red Emissive Polymeric and Copolymeric BODIPY Dyes, Chemistry of Materials, 21(10), 2130-2138.
- Kerfoot, W. C., J. W. Budd, S. A. Green, J. B. Cotner, B. Biddanda, D. J. Schwab, and H. A. Vanderploeg (2008), Doughnut in the desert: a late winter production pulse in Southern Lake Michigan, Limnology and Oceanography, 53(2), 589–604.
- Ma, X., and S. A. Green (2008), Fractionation and Spectroscopic Properties of Fulvic Acid and Its Extract, Chemosphere, 72, 1425-1434.
- Urban, N. R., M. T. Auer, S. A. Green, X. Lu, D. S. Apul, K. D. Powell, and L. Bub (2005), Carbon cycling in Lake Superior, Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 110(C6).
- Li, H. Y., J. W. Budd, and S. Green (2004), Evaluation and regional optimization of bio-optical algorithms for central Lake Superior, Journal of Great Lakes Research, 30, 443-458.
- Ma, X. D., and S. A. Green (2004), Photochemical transformation of dissolved organic carbon in Lake Superior - An in-situ experiment, Journal of Great Lakes Research, 30, 97-112.
- Cory, R. M., S. A. Green, and K. S. Pregitzer (2004), Dissolved Organic Matter Concentration and Composition in the Forests and Streams of Olympic National Park, WA., Biogeochemistry, 67, 269-288.
- Chen, Z., C. H. Xue, W. Shi, F. T. Luo, S. Green, J. Chen, and H. Y. Liu (2004), Selective and sensitive fluorescent sensors for metal ions based on manipulation of side-chain compositions of poly(p-phenyleneethynylene)s, Analytical Chemistry, 76, 6513-6518.
- Green, S. A., and B. J. Eadie (2004), Introduction to special section: Transport and transformation of biogeochemically important materials in coastal waters, Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 109.
Michael R. Gretz
- Domozych, D.S.,. Lambiasse, L., Kiemle, S.N.. and Gretz, M.R. 2009. Structure and biochemistry of charophycean cell walls. II. Cell wall development and bipolar growth in the desmid Penium margaritaceum. Asymmetry in a symmetric world. Journal of Phycology (in press)
- Bellinger, B.J., Underwood, G.J.C., Ziegler, S.E. and Gretz, M.R. 2009. The significance of diatom-derived polymers in carbon flow dynamics within estuarine biofilms determined through isotopic enrichment. Aquatic Microbial Ecology (in press).
- Domozych, D.S., Serfis, A., Kiemle, S. and Gretz, M.R. 2007. The structure and biochemistry of charophycean cell walls. I. Pectins of Penium margaritaceum. Protoplasma 230:99-115.
- Kiemle, S.N., Domozych, D.S. and Gretz, M.R. 2007. The exopolymers of desmids: Chemistry, structural analysis and implications in wetland biofilms. Phycologia 46:617-627.
- Domozych, D.S., Elliot, L, Kiemle, S.N. and Gretz, M.R. 2007. Pleurotaenium trabecula, a desmid of wetland biofilms: The extracellular matrix and adhesion mechanisms. Journal of Phycology 43:1022-1038.
- Abdullahi, A.S., Underwood, G.J.C., and Gretz, M.R. 2006. Extracellular matrix assembly in diatoms (Bacillariophyceae). V. Environmental effects on polysaccharide synthesis in the model diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum. Journal of Phycology 42:363-378.
- Apoya, M.D., Liang, Y., Underwood, G.J.C. and Gretz, M.R. 2006. Movement modalities and responses to environmental changes of the mudflat diatom Cylindrotheca closterium. Journal of Phycology 42:379-390.
Casey J Huckins
- Marcarelli AM, Coble AA, Meingast KM, Kane ES, Brooks CN, Buffam I, Green SA, Huckins CJ, Toczydlowski D, Stottlemyer R. Early View (2019). Of small streams and Great Lakes: Integrating tributaries to understand the ecology and biogeochemistry of Lake Superior. Journal of the American Water Resources Association. https://doi.org/10.1111/1752-1688.1269.
- Goble*, CW., Auer, NA., Huckins, CJ, Danhoff*, BM., Holtgren, JM. and Ogren, SA. 2018. Fish Distributions and Habitat Associations in Manistee River, Michigan, Tributaries: Implications for Arctic Grayling Restoration. North Am J Fish Manage, 38: 469-486. doi:10.1002/nafm.10049.
- Danhoff*, BM., CJ Huckins, NA. Auer, CW. Goble, SA. Ogren, and JM. Holtgren. 2017. Abiotic Habitat Assessment for Arctic Grayling in a Portion of the Big Manistee River, Michigan. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 146:645-662.
- Coble AA*, Marcarelli AM, Kane ES, Huckins CJ 2016. Uptake of ammonium and soluble reactive phosphorus in forested streams: influence of dissolved organic matter composition. Biogeochemistry 131:355-372.
- Feringa, M., C. Huckins,W. Mattes, E. Baker, T. Zorn, J. Littlefield, K. Scribner. 2016. "Genetic and phenotypic evidence for splake presence in brook trout and lake trout spawning habitats." Journal of Great Lakes Research 42(3): 738-742. Read More
- Marcarelli AM, Huckins CJ & Eggert SL. 2015. Sand aggradation alters biofilm standing crop and metabolism in a low-gradient Lake Superior tributary. Journal of Great Lakes Research 41: 1052-1059. doi:10.1016/j.jglr.2015.09.004.
- Ogren, S. A. and C. J. Huckins 2015 Culvert replacements: improvement of stream biotic integrity? Restoration Ecology 23(6): 821-828.
- Ogren, S.A., and C.J Huckins. 2015. Awareness of bias in fish indices of biotic integrity improves interpretation of bioassessment. North American Journal of Fisheries Management. (in Press)
- Ogren*, S. and C.J Huckins. 2014. Evaluation of suitability and comparability of stream assessment indices using macroinvertebrate data sets from the Northern Lakes and Forests Ecoregion. Ecological Indicators. Volume 40, May 2014, Pages 117–126
- Mirchi*, A., D.W. Watkins, Jr., C. J Huckins, K. Madani and P. Hjorth. 2014. Water resources management in a homogenizing world: Averting the growth and underinvestment trajectory. Water Resources Research (in press) Read More
- Scribner, K., Huckins, C. J., Baker, E., Kanefsky, J. 2012. Genetic relationships and gene flow between resident and migratory brook trout in the Salmon Trout River. Journal of Great Lakes Research. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2011.11.009. 38 (2012) 152–158
- Barkdoll, B.D. and C.J Huckins, 2012. The role of bridge scour in relation to stream restoration, Proceedings of the World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2012 American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA, (pp. 2546-2555).
- Harless, M. L., Huckins, C. J., Grant, J. B., Pypker, T. G. (2011). "Effects of six chemical deicers on larval wood frogs", Environmental Toxicity and Chemistry, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 30(7):1637–1641.
- Van Grinsven, M., Mayer, A. and Huckins, C. (2011), Estimation of Streambed Groundwater Fluxes Associated with Coaster Brook Trout Spawning Habitat. Ground Water. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6584.2011.00856.x
- Huckins, C. J, .E. A. Baker, K. D. Fausch and J. B. K. Leonard. 2008. Ecology and Life History of Coaster Brook Trout Salvelinus fontinalis and Potential Bottlenecks in Their Rehabilitation. North American Journal of Fish Management. 28:1321–1342.
- Huckins, C. J., and E. A. Baker. 2008. Migrations and Biological Characteristics of Adfluvial Coaster Brook Trout in a South Shore Lake Superior Tributary. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 137:1229-1243.
- Webster, C. W., C. J F. Huckins, J. M. Shields. 2008. Spatial Distribution of Riparian Zone Coarse Woody Debris in a Managed Northern Temperate Watershed. American Midland Naturalist. in press.
- VanDusen, P. J., C. J Huckins, D. J. Flaspohler. 2005. Associations among selection logging history, brook trout, macroinvertebrates and habitat in Northern Michigan headwater streams. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 134:762-774.
- Osenberg, C. W., C. J F. Huckins, A. Kaltenberg, and A. Martinez. 2004. Resolving within and between population variation in feeding ecology with a biomechanical model of crushing force. Oecologia. 141:57-65
- Flaspohler, D. J., C. J F. Huckins, B. R. Bub, and P. J. VanDusen. 2002. Temporal patterns in aquatic and avian communities following selective logging. Forest Science 48:339-350.
- Klinger, R.C., R.F. Floyd, V.S. Blazer, and C.J Huckins. 2001. Nutritional disease of a Lake Victorian cichlid, haplochromis (Prognathrochromis perrieri); a clinical assessment. Journal of Aquariculture and Aquatic Sciences 9:228-236.
- Huckins, C. J F., C. W. Osenberg, and G. G. Mittelbach. 2000. Species introductions and ecological consequences: an example with congeneric sunfish. Ecological Applications 10:612:625.
- Huckins, C.JF. 1997. Linkages between morphology, feeding performance, diet, and competitive ability of molluscivorous sunfish. Ecology 78:2401-2414.
Chandrashekhar P. Joshi
- Shashank K. Pandey, Nookaraju Akula, Takeshi Fujino, Sivakumar Pattathil, and Chandrashekhar P. Joshi* (2016) Virus Induced Gene Silencing (VIGS) Mediated Functional Characterization of Two Genes Involved in Lignocellulosic Secondary Cell Wall Formation. Plant Cell Reports, 35:2353-2367.
- Puranik Swati, Kavitha S. Kumar, Oliver Gailing and Chandrashekhar P. Joshi* (2014) Modifying plant cell walls for bioenergy production. CAB Reviews 9, 017, pp 1-10.
- Nookaraju Akula, Shashank K. Pandey, Takeshi Fujino, Ju Young Kim, Mi Chung Suh, and Chandrashekhar P. Joshi* (2014) Enhanced Accumulation of Fatty Acids and Triacylglycerols in Transgenic Tobacco Stems for Enhanced Bioenergy Production. Plant Cell Reports 33 (7) 1041-1052.
- Sera Jung, Dae-Seok Lee, Yeon-Ok Kim, Chandrashekhar P. Joshi, and Hyeun-Jong Bae (2013) Improved recombinant cellulase expression in chloroplast of tobacco through promoter engineering and 5′ amplification promoting sequence. Plant Molecular Biology 83: 317–328. Published online in June 2013. DOI 10.1007/s11103-013-0088-2.
- Nookaraju A, Pandey SP, Bae HJ and Joshi CP* (2013) Designing cell walls for better bioenergy production. Molecular Plant 6 (1):8-10. doi: 10.1093/mp/sss111 First published online: October 5, 2012.
- Liu Y, Xu F, Gou J, Al-Haddad J, Telewski FW, Bae HJ and C. P. Joshi* (2012) Importance of Two Consecutive Methionines at the N-terminus of a Cellulose Synthase (PtdCesA8) for Normal Wood Cellulose Synthesis in Transgenic Aspen. Tree Physiology 32(11): 1403-1412 first published online October 17, 2012
- Chandrashekhar P. Joshi*, Shivegowda Thammannagowda, Takeshi Fujino, Jiqing Gou, Utku Avci, Candace H. Haigler, Lisa M. McDonnell, Shawn D. Mansfield, Bemnet Menghesa, Nicholas C. Carpita, Darby Harris, Seth DeBolt and Gary F. Peter (2011) Perturbation of wood cellulose synthesis causes pleiotropic effects in transgenic aspen. Molecular Plant 4(2) 331-345.
- Zhu X, Pattahil S, Mazumdar K, Brehm A, Hahn MG. Dinesh-Kumar SP and C. P. Joshi* (2010) Virus-induced gene silencing offers a functional genomics platform for studying plant cell wall formation. Molecular Plant 3 (5): 818-833.
- Fuyu Xu and Chandrashekhar P. Joshi* (2010) Overexpression of Aspen Sucrose Synthase Gene Promotes Growth and Development of Transgenic Arabidopsis Plants. Advances in Biosciences and Biotechnology 1: 426-438.
- Manoj Kumar, Shivegowda Thammannagowda, Vincent Bulone, Vincent Chiang, Kyung-Hwan Han, Chandrashekhar P. Joshi, Shawn D. Mansfield, Ewa Mellerowicz, Björn Sundberg, Tuula Teeri, and Brian E. Ellis. An update on the nomenclature for the cellulose synthases genes from Populus. Trends in Plant Science 14(5):248-254, 2009.
- Shanfa Lu, Laigeng Li, Xiaoping Yi, Chandrashekhar P. Joshi, and Vincent L. Chiang: Differential expression of three eucalyptus secondary cell wall- related cellulose synthase genes in response to tension stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 681-695, 2008.
- (Invited presentation) C.P. Joshi: Genetic engineering of poplars for biofuel production via altered synthesis of cellulose. Presented at Tree Biotechnology meeting at Whistler, BC, Canada during June 28-July 2, 2009.
- C. P. Joshi, Brunner A, Busov V, Meilan R, Thammanagowda S, Tsai C.: Poplars. In: Compendium of transgenic crop plants: Transgenic forest tree species. C. Kole and T. Hall (Eds). Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK. PP 1-34. 2008.
- C.P. Joshi* and S.D. Mansfield: The cellulose paradox: simple molecule, complex biosynthesis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology. 10: 220-226, 2007.
Evan S. Kane
Herndon EM, Kinsman‐Costello L, Duroe KA, Mills J,
Kane ES, Sebestyen SD, Thompson AA, Wullschleger SD. 2019. Iron (oxyhydr)oxides serve as
phosphate traps in tundra and boreal peat soils. Journal of Geophysical Research-
*McPartland MY, Kane ES, Falkowski MJ, Kolka R, Turetsky MR, Palik B, Montgomery RA. 2019. The response of boreal peatland community composition and NDVI to hydrologic change, warming, and elevated carbon dioxide. Global Change Biology, DOI: 10.1111/gcb.14465.
Marcarelli AM, *Coble AS, *Meingast KM, Kane ES, Brooks C, Buffam I, Green S, Huckins C, Toczydlowski D, Stottlemyer R. 2018. Of small streams and Great Lakes: integrating tributaries to understand the ecology and biogeochemistry of Lake Superior. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 1-17, DOI: 10.1111/1752-1688.12695.
*Richard R, Potvin LR, Kane ES, Handler S, Smith P, Peterson D. 2018. Biochar and wood ash amendments for forestry in the Lake States: field report and initial results. Journal of Forestry, 116(3):222–227.
*Houle GP, Kane ES, Kasischke ES, *Gibson CM, Turetsky MR. 2018. Recovery of carbon pools a decade after wildfire in black spruce forests of interior Alaska: effects of soil texture and landscape position. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 48(1): 1-10.
*Mosier SL, Kane ES, Richter DL, Lilleskov EA, Jurgensen MF, Burton AJ, Resh SC. 2017. Interactive effects of climate change and fungal communities on wood-derived carbon in forest soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 115: 297-309.
*Hribljan JA, Kane ES, Chimner RA. 2017. Implications of Altered Hydrology for Substrate Quality and Trace Gas Production in a Poor Fen Peatland. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 81(3): 633-646.
Haynes KM, Kane ES, Potvin L, Lilleskov E, Kolka RK, Mitchell CPJ. 2017. Mobility and transport of mercury and methylmercury in peat as a function of changes in water table regime and plant functional groups, Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 31, doi:10.1002/2016GB005471.
*Wiedermann M, Kane ES, Potvin LR, Lilleskov E. 2017. Interactive plant functional group and water table effects on decomposition and extracellular enzyme activity in Sphagnum peatlands. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 108: 1-8.
Olefeltd D, Euskirchen SE, Harden J, Kane ES, McGuire AD, Waldrop M, Turetsky MR. 2017. Greenhouse gas fluxes and their cumulative response to inter-annual variability and experimental manipulation of the water table position in a boreal fen. Global Change Biology, DOI: 10.1111/gcb.13612.
- Kerfoot, W.C.; Hobmeier, M.M.; Green, S.A.; Yousef, F.; Brooks, C.N.; Shuchman, R.; Sayers, M.; Lin, L.; Luong, P.; Hayter, E.; Reif, M. Coastal Ecosystem Investigations with LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) and Bottom Reflectance: Lake Superior Reef Threatened by Migrating Tailings. Remote Sens. 2019, 11, 1076. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs11091076
- Kerfoot, W.C., N.R. Urban, C.P. McDonald, H. Zhang, R. Rossmann, J. Perlinger, T. Khan, A. Hendricks, M. Priyadarshini, M. Bolstad, 2018, Mining Legacy Across a Wetland Landscape: High Mercury in Upper Peninsula (Michigan) Rivers, Lakes, And Fish. Environ. Sci. Processes Impacts. 20: 708-733. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/C7EM00521K ESPI Best Paper Nominees collection http://rsc.li/espi-nominees
- Staples, D.F., Maki, R.P., Hirsch, J.K., Kerfoot, W.C., LeDuc, J.F., Burri, T., Moraska Lafrancois, B. Glase, J. 2017. Decrease in young-of-the-year yellow perch growth rates following Bythotrephes longimanus invasion. Biol. Invasions. 19: 2197-2205 http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10530-017-1431-3
- Kerfoot, W.C., M.M. Hobmeier, F. Yousef. B. Moraska LaFrancois, R.P. Maki, J.K. Hirsch. 2016. A Plague of Waterfleas (Bythotrephes): Impacts on Microcrustacean Community Structure, Seasonal Biomass, and Secondary Production in a Large Inland-lake Complex. Biol. Invasions. 18 (4): 1121-1145 http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10530-015-1050-9
- Kerfoot, W.C., N.R. Urban C.P. McDonald, R. Rossmann, H. Zhang 2016. Legacy mercury releases during copper mining near Lake Superior. J. Great Lakes Res. 42(1): 50-61 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2015.10.007
- Kerfoot, W.C. and Savage, S.C. 2016. Multiple inducers in aquatic foodwebs: Counter-measures and vulnerability to exotics. Limnol. Oceanogr., 61: 382–406. 12 Nov 2015 http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/lno.10223
- Rowe, MD., D.R. Obenour, T.F. Nalepa, H.A. Vanderploeg, F. Yousef, W.C. Kerfoot. 2015. Mapping the spatial distribution of invasive dreissenid mussels on the winter-spring phytoplankton bloom in Lake Michigan. Freshwater Biology 60: 2197-2454, 6 Aug 2015 http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/fwb.12653
- Kerfoot, W.C., M.M. Hobmeier, F. Yousef, S.A. Green, R. Regis, C.N. Brooks, R. Shuchman, J. Anderson, and M. Reif. 2014. Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) and Multispectral Scanner Studies (MSS) Examine Coastal Environments Influenced by Mining. ISPRS Int. J. Geo-Inf 3: 66-95 http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijgi3010066
- Yousef, F., W.C. Kerfoot, R. Shuchman, and G. Fahnenstiel. 2014. Bio-optical properties and primary production of Lake Michigan: insights from 13-years of SeaWiFS imagery. J. Great Lakes Res. 40: 317-324 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2014.02.018
- Yousef, F., W.C. Kerfoot, C.N. Brooks, R. Shuchman, B. Sabol, and M. Graves. 2013. Using LiDAR to reconstruct the history of a coastal environment influenced by legacy mining. J. Great Lakes Res. 39 Sup. 1: 205-216 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2013.01.003
- Kerfoot, W.C., F. Yousef, S.A. Green, R. Regis, R. Shuchman, C.N. Brooks, M. Sayers, B. Sabol, M. Graves. 2012. Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) and Multispectral Studies of Disturbed Lake Superior Coastal Environments. Limnol. Oceanogr. 57(3): 749-771 http://dx.doi.org/10.4319/lo.2012.57.3.0749
- Kerfoot, W.C., F. Yousef, M. Hobmeier, R.P. Maki, S.T. Jarnagin, J.H. Churchill. 2011. Temperature, Recreational Fishing and Diapause Egg Connections: Dispersal of Spiny Water Fleas (Bythotrephes longimanus) Biol. Invasions. 13: 2513-2531 http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10530-011-0078-8
- Cooke, C.A., P.H. Balcom, W.C. Kerfoot, M.B. Abbott, A.P. Wolfe. 2011. Pre-Columbian Mercury Pollution with the Smelting of Argentiferous Ores in the Bolivian Andes. AMBIO 40: 18-25 http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13280-010-0086-4
- Kerfoot, W.C., F. Yousef, S.A. Green, J.W. Budd, D.J. Schwab, and H.A. Vanderploeg. 2010. Approaching storm: Disappearing winter bloom in Lake Michigan. J. Great Lakes Res. 36: Supplement 3: 30-41 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2010.04.010
- Kerfoot, W.C. and A.S. McNaught. 2010. ‘Two-step’ dialogue between the cladoceran Bosmina and invertebrate predators: Induction and natural selection. Limnol. Oceanogr. 55(1) 403-419 https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2010.55.1.0403
- Berendonk, T.U., K. Spitze, W.C. Kerfoot. 2009. Ephemeral metapopulations show high genetic diversity at regional scales. Ecology. 90(10): 2670-2675 https://doi.org/10.1890/08-0667.1
- Kerfoot, W.C., J.W. Budd, S.A. Green, J.B. Cotner, B.A. Biddanda, D.J. Schwab and H.A. Vanderploeg 2008. Doughnut in the desert: late-winter production pulse in southern Lake Michigan. Limnol. Oceanogr 53: 589-604 https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2008.53.2.0589
- Trepal, D., and Lafreniere, D. 2019. Understanding Cumulative Hazards in a Rustbelt City: Integrating GIS, Archaeology, and Spatial History . Urban Science, Vol. 3, no. 3: article 83.
- Lafreniere. D., Weidner, L., Trepal, D., Scarlett, S., Arnold, J., Pastel, R., and Williams, R. 2019. Public Participatory Historical GIS. Historical Methods: Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History, Vol. 52, no. 3: 132-149.
- Trepal, D., Scarlett, S., and Lafreniere, D. 2019. Heritage Making through Community Archaeology and the Spatial Humanities. Journal of Community Archaeology & Heritage, Vol. 6, no. 4: 238-256.
- Southall, H., and Lafreniere, D. 2019. Working with the Public in Historical Data Creation. Historical Methods: Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History, Vol. 52, no. 3: 129-131.
- Scarlett, S., Lafreniere, D., Trepal, D., Arnold, J., and Pastel, R. 2018. Engaging Community and Spatial Humanities for Postindustrial Heritage: The Keweenaw Time Traveler . American Quarterly, Vol. 70, no. 3: 619-623.
- Gregory, I., Debats, D., and Lafreniere, D., eds. 2018. The Routledge Companion to Spatial History. London: Routledge, ISBN: 978-1138860148
- Arnold, J., and Lafreniere, D. 2018 Creating a Longitudinal, Data-Driven 3D Model of Change Over Time in a Postindustrial Landscape Using GIS and CityEngine . Journal of Cultural Heritage Management and Sustainable Development, Vol. 7, no. 4
- Lutz, J., Lafreniere, D., Harvey, M., Dunae, P., Gilliland, J. 2018 "'A City of White Race Occupies its Place' Kanaka Row, Chinatown, and the Indian Quarter in Victorian Victoria" in Ian Gregory, Don Debats, and Don Lafreniere, eds., The Routledge Companion to Spatial History. London: Routledge, 320-348.
- Lafreniere, D., and Gilliland, J. 2018. Following Workers of the Industrial City across a Decade: Residential, Occupational, and Workplace Mobilities from 1881-1891 in Ian Gregory, Don Debats, and Don Lafreniere, eds., The Routledge Companion to Spatial History. London: Routledge, 299-319.
- Baeten, J., Langston, N., and Lafreniere, D. 2018. A Spatial Evaluation of Historic Iron Mining Impacts on Current Impaired Waters in Lake Superior's Mesabi Range . AMBIO- Journal of the Human Environment, Vol. 47, no. 2: 231-244.
- Sadler. R, and Lafreniere D. 2017. You are where you live: Methodological Challenges to Measuring Children’s Exposure to Hazards . Journal of Children and Poverty, Vol. 23, no. 2: 189-198.
- Arnold, J., and Lafreniere, D. 2018. The Persistence of Time: Vernacular Preservation of the Postindustrial Landscape. Change Over Time: An International Journal of Conservation and the Built Environment, Vol. 7, no. 2: 114-133.
- Sadler. R, and Lafreniere, D. 2017. Racist Housing Practices as a Precursor to Uneven Neighborhood Change in a Post-Industrial City . Housing Studies, Vol. 32, no. 2: 186-208
- Baeten. J, Langston, N, and Lafreniere, D. 2016. A Geospatial Approach to Uncovering the Hidden Waste Footprint of Lake Superior's Mesabi Iron Range . The Extractive Industries and Society, Vol. 3, no. 4: 1031-1045
- Van Allen, N. and Lafreniere, D. 2016 Rebuilding the Landscape of the Rural Post Office: A Geospatial Analysis of 19th Century Postal Space and Networks . Rural Landscapes: Society, Environment, History, Vol. 3, no. 1: 2, 1-19
- Oiamo, T., Lafreniere, D., and Parr, J. 2016 “The Making of a Key North American Environment of Mobility: the Windsor-Detroit Borderland.” In Colin Coates, Jay Young, and Ben Bradley, eds., Moving Natures: Mobility and the Environment in Canadian History. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 175-198
- Lafreniere, D. and Gilliland, J. 2015. All the World's a Stage: A GIS Framework for Recreating Personal Time-Space from Qualitative and Quantitative Sources . Transactions in GIS, Vol. 19, no. 2: 225-246.
- Dunae, P., Lafreniere, D., Gilliland, J., and Lutz, J. 2013. Dwelling Places, Social Spaces: Revealing the Environments of Urban Workers in Victoria using Historical GIS . Labour/Le Travail, Vol. 72: 37-73.
- Ridge, M., Lafreniere, D., and Nesbit, S. 2013. Creating Deep Maps and Spatial Narratives through Design. International Journal of Humanities and Arts Computing, Vol. 7: 176-189.
- Lutz, J., Dunae, P., Gilliland, J., Lafreniere, D., and Harvey, M. 2013. “Turning Space Inside Out: Spatial History and Race in Victorian Victoria.” In Jennifer Bonnell and Marcel Fortin, eds., Historical GIS Research in Canada. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 1-26.
- Dunae, P., Lutz, J., Lafreniere, D., and Gilliland, J. 2011. Making the Inscrutable, Scrutable: Race and Space in Victoria’s Chinatown, 1891. B.C. Studies, no. 169: 51-80.
- Lafreniere, D., and Rivet, D. 2010. Rescaling the Past through Mosaic Historical Cartography. Journal of Maps, Vol. 6, no. 1: 417-422.
- Thistle, J. and N. Langston. 2015. “Entangled histories: Iron ore mining in Canada and the United States. ” Extractive Industries and Society Pre-print publication 14 July 2015; 10.1016/j.exis.2015.06.00 Read More
- Mårald, E., N. Langston, A. Stens, and J. Moen. 2015. “Changing ideas in forestry: a comparison of concepts in Swedish and American forestry journals during the early 20th and 21st centuries.” Ambio. Read More
- Steen-Adams, M. M., Langston, N., Adams, M. D., & Mladenoff, D. J. 2015. “Historical framework to explain long-term coupled human and natural system feedbacks: application to a multiple-ownership forest landscape in the northern Great Lakes region, USA.” Ecology and Society, 20(1). Read More
- Nancy Langston. 2013. Mining the Boreal North. American Scientist. April
- Nancy Langston. 2010. Toxic Bodies: Hormone Disruptors and the Legacy of DES. New Haven: Yale University Press. Read More
- Langston, N. 2015. “Thinking Like A Microbe: Borders and Environmental History.” Canadian Historical Review. 95(4): 592-603 Read More
- Michelle Steen-Adams, David J. Mladenoff, Nancy E. Langston, Feng Liu, and Jun Zhu. 2011. “Influence of Biophysical Factors and Differences in Ojibwe Reservation Versus Euro-American Social Histories on Forest Landscape Change in Northern Wisconsin, USA.” Landscape Ecology 26 (8) (August 21): 1165-1178. Read More
- Michelle Steen-Adams, N. Langston, and D. J. Mladenoff. 2010. “Logging the Great Lakes Indian Reservations: The Case of the Bad River Band of Ojibwe.” American Indian Culture and Research Journal 34: 41-66. Read More
Eugene Levin, CP
- Levin, E., A. Zaronwski, C. Cohen, R. Liimakka. 2010. Human-Centric Approach to Inhomogeneous Geospatial Data Fusion and Actualization, Proceedings of the ASPRS-2010 Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, April 2010.
- Levin, E., A. V. Sergeyev. 2009. Innovative System Architecture for Spatial Volumetric Acoustic Seeing, SPIE, Defense and Security Symposium.
- Levin, E., W. Helton, G. Gienko, R. Liimakka. 2008. Eye-Movement Analysis in Visual Inspection of Geospatial Data, Proceedings of the ASPRS-2008 Annual Conference, Portland, OR, April 2008.
- Levin, E., G. Gienko, A. Sergeyev. 2008. Human-Centric Approach for Geospatial Data Fusion in Homeland Defence and Security Application Scenarios, 2008 SPIE Defense and Security Symposium, Orlando, FL, March 2008.
- Levin, E., S. Skubiev, A. Zarnowski. Innovative Aspects of International Collaboration in Development of Geospatial Curriculum and Research, Proceedings of the Land State University Research Magazine, Pages 85–98.
Amy M Marcarelli
- Bump JK, Bergman BG, Schrank AJ, Marcarelli AM, Kane ES, Risch AC, Schutz M. 2017. Nutrient release from moose bioturbation in aquatic ecosystems. Oikos 126:389-397. Read More
- Dodds WK, Burgin AJ, Marcarelli AM, Strauss EA. 2017. Nitrogen Transformations. Pp 173-196 in: Lamberti GA, Hauer FR (eds) Methods in Stream Ecology Volume 2: Ecosystem Function, 3rd Edition. Elsevier. Read More
- Olson JC, Marcarelli AM, Timm AL, Eggert SL, Kolka RK. 2017. Evaluating the effects of culvert designs on ecosystem processes in northern Wisconsin streams. River Research and Applications 33:777–787. Read More
- Baker MA, Arp CD, Goodman KJ, Marcarelli AM, Wurtsbaugh WA. 2016. Stream-lake interaction: understanding a coupled hydro-ecological system. Pp 321-348 in: Jones JB, Stanley EH (eds) Stream Ecosystems in a Changing Environment. Academic Press. Read More
- Coble AA, Marcarelli AM, Kane ES, Huckins CJ. 2016. Uptake of ammonium and soluble reactive phosphorus in forested streams: influence of dissolved organic matter composition. Biogeochemistry 131:355–372. Read More
- Coble AA, Marcarelli AM, Kane ES, Stottlemyer JR, Toczydlowski D. 2016. Temporal patterns of dissolved organic matter biodegradability are similar across three rivers of varying size. Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences 121:1617-1631 Read More
- Collins SF, Baxter CV, Marcarelli AM & Wipfli MS. 2016. Effects of experimentally added salmon subsidies on resident fishes via direct and indirect pathways. Ecosphere 7:e01248. Read More
- Veverica TJ, Kane ES, Marcarelli AM, Green SA. 2016. Ionic liquid extraction unveils previously occluded humic-bound iron in peat pore water. Soil Science Society of America Journal 80:771-782. Read More
- Marcarelli AM, Huckins CJ, Eggert SL. 2015. Sand aggradation alters biofilm standing crop and metabolism in a low-gradient Lake Superior tributary. Journal of Great Lakes Research 41:1052-1059. Read More
- Coble AA, Marcarelli AM & Kane ES. 2015. Ammonium and glucose amendments stimulate dissolved organic matter mineralization in a Lake Superior tributary. Journal of Great Lakes Research 41:801-807. Read More
- Collins SF, Marcarelli AM, Baxter CV & Wipfli MS. 2015. A critical assessment of the ecological assumptions underpinning compensatory mitigation of salmon-derived nutrients. Environmental Management 56:571-586. Read More
Patrick E. Martin
- Patrick E. Martin. 2012. “Industrial Archaeology.” In Industrial Heritage Re-tooled. The TICCIH Guide to Industrial Heritage Conservation. James Douet, (ed.) TICCIH.
- Patrick E. Martin. 2012. “Industrial Archaeology and the West Point Foundry.” In IA, Journal of the Society for Industrial Archeology 35, 1 & 2, 5-8.
- Patrick E. Martin. 2011. “Industrial Heritage Preservation Organizations and Institutions.” In Forum Journal, 25, No. 3. 25-31. National Trust for Historic Preservation, Washington DC.
- Patrick E. Martin. 2009. “Industrial Archaeology.” In The International Handbook of Historical Archaeology, Teresita Majewski and David Gaimster (eds), 285-297. Springer.
Audrey L. Mayer
- Editorial for 2019 special issue on Landscape-scale Dynamics of Family Forest Owners in Landscape and Urban Planning
- Mayer AL. 2019. Family forest owners and landscape-scale interaction: A review. Landscape and Urban Planning doi: 10.1016/j.landurbplan.2018.10.017
- Tortini R, AL Mayer, T Hermosilla, NC Coops, MA Wulder. 2019. Using annual Landsat imagery to identify harvesting over a range of intensities for non-industrial family forests. Landscape & Urban Planning. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2018.04.012
- Mayer AL and AM Wellstead. 2018. Questionable survey methods generate a questionable list of recommended articles. Nature Ecology & Evolution [online]: DOI: 10.1038/s41559-018-0637-9
- Rahman SMM*, C Schelly, AL Mayer, ES Norman. 2018. Uncovering discursive framings of the Bangladesh shipbreaking industry. Social Sciences 7(1):14.
- Mu B, HW Li, AL Mayer, RZ He, GH Tian. 2017. Dynamic changes of green-space connectivity based on remote sensing and graph theory: a case study in Zhengzhou, China. Acta Ecologica Sinica 37(14):13pp. [In Chinese]
- Mayer AL. 2017. A scientist on any schedule. Science 355(6323):426. Read More
Lynn R. Mazzoleni
- Clegg, S.L., L.R. Mazzoleni, V. Samburova, N.F. Taylor, D.R. Collins, S.K. Schum, A.G. Hallar, Modelling the hygroscopic growth factors of aerosol material containing a large water-soluble organic fraction, collected at the Storm Peak Laboratory, Atmospheric Environment, 2019, In Press.
- Schum S.K., B. Zhang, K. Dzepina, D. Helmig, P. Fialho, C. Mazzoleni, and L.R. Mazzoleni, Molecular and Physical Characteristics of Aerosol at a Remote Free Troposphere Site: Implications for Atmospheric Aging, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 18, 14017–14036, doi.org/10.5194/acp-18-14017-2018, 2018.
- Brege, M.A., M. Paglione, S. Gilardoni, S. Decesari, M.C. Facchini, and L.R. Mazzoleni, Molecular Insights on Aging and Aqueous Phase Processing from Ambient Biomass Burning Emissions-Influenced Po Valley Fog and Aerosol, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 18, 13197-13214, doi.org/10.5194/acp-18-13197-2018, 2018.
- Sengupta, D., V. Samburova, C. Bhattarai, E. Kirillova, L. Mazzoleni, M. Iaukea-Lum, A. Watts, H. Moosmüller, A. Khlystov, Light Absorption by Polar and Non-Polar Aerosol Compounds from Laboratory Biomass Combustion, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 18, 10849-10867, doi.org/10.5194/acp-18-10849-2018, 2018.
- Khaksari, M., L.R. Mazzoleni, C. Ruan, P. Song, N.D. Hershey, R.T. Kennedy, M.A. Burns, and A.R. Minerick. Detection and Quantification of Vitamins in Microliter Volumes of Biological Samples by LC-MS for Clinical Screening, AIChE Journal, 64(10), doi.org/10.1002/aic.16345, 2018.
- Varanasi, L., E. Coscarelli, M. Khaksari, L. Mazzoleni, and D. Minakata, Transformations of Dissolved Organic Matter Induced by UV Photolysis, Hydroxyl Radicals, Chlorine Radicals, and Sulfate Radicals in Aqueous-Phase UV-Based Advanced Oxidation Processes, Water Research, 135: 22-30, doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2018.02.015, 2018.
- Schultz, M.G., S. Schröder, O. Lyapina, O. Cooper, I. Galbally, I. Petropavlovskikh, E. von Schneidemesser, H. Tanimoto, Y. Elshorbany, M. Naja, R.J. Seguel, U. Dauert, P. Eckhardt, S. Feigenspan, M. Fiebig, A.-G. Hjellbrekke Y.-D. Hong, P.C. Kjeld, H. Koide, G. Lear, D. Tarasick, M. Ueno, M. Wallasch, D. Baumgardner, M.-T. Chuang, R. Gillett, M. Lee, S. Molloy, R. Moolla, T. Wang, K. Sharps, J.A. Adame, G. Ancellet, F. Apadula, P. Artaxo, M.E. Barlasina, M. Bogucka, P. Bonasoni, L. Chang, A. Colomb, E. Cuevas, M. Cupeiro, A. Degorska, A. Ding, M. Fröhlich, M. Frolova, H. Gadhavi, F. Gheusi, S. Gilge, M.Y. Gonzalez, V. Gros, S.H. Hamad, D. Helmig, D. Henriques, O. Hermansen, R. Holla, J. Hueber, U. Im, D.A. Jaffe, N. Komala, D. Kubistin, K.-S. Lam, T. Laurila, H. Lee, I. Levy, C. Mazzoleni, L.R. Mazzoleni, A. McClure-Begley, M. Mohamad, M. Murovec, M. Navarro-Comas, F. Nicodim, D. Parrish, K.A. Read, N. Reid, L. Ries, P. Saxena, J.J. Schwab, Y. Scorgie, I. Senik, P. Simmonds, V. Sinha, A.I. Skorokhod, G. Spain, W. Spangl, R. Spoor, S.R. Springston, K. Steer, M. Steinbacher, E. Suharguniyawan, P. Torre, T. Trickl, L. Weili, R. Weller, X. Xu, L. Xue, M. Zhiqiang, Tropospheric Ozone Assessment Report: Database and Metrics Data of Global Surface Ozone Observations, Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene, 5:58, doi.org/10.1525/elementa.244, 2017.
- China, S., P.A. Alpert, B. Zhang, S. Schum, K. Dzepina, K. Wright, R.C. Owen, L.R., Mazzoleni, C. Mazzoleni, D.A. Knopf, Ice Cloud Formation Potential by Free Tropospheric Particles from Curriculum Vitae – Lynn R. Mazzoleni Long-Range Transport over the Northern Atlantic Ocean, J. Geophysical Research, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016JD025817/full, 2017.
- Zhang, B., R.C. Owen, J.A. Perlinger, D. Helmig, M. Val Martin, L. Kramer, L.R. Mazzoleni and C. Mazzoleni, Ten-Year Chemical Signatures Associated with Long Range Transport Observed in the Free Troposphere Over the Central North Atlantic, Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene, 5: 8, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1525/elementa.194, 2017.
- Taylor, N.F., D.R. Collins, D.H. Lowenthal, B. Zielinska, V. Samburova, N. Kumar, A.G. Hallar, L.R. Mazzoleni, I.B. McCubbin, Hygroscopic Growth of Water Soluble Organic Carbon Isolated from Atmospheric Aerosol Collected at U.S. National Parks and Storm Peak Laboratory, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 17, 2555-2571, doi:10.5194/acp-17-2555-2017, 2017.
- Kundu, S., R. Fisseha, A.L. Putman, T.A. Rahn, and L.R. Mazzoleni, Molecular Formula Composition of β-Caryophyllene Ozonolysis SOA Formed in Humid and Dry Conditions, Atmospheric Environment, 154, 70–81, 2017.
- Khaksari, M., L.R. Mazzoleni, C. Ruan, R.T. Kennedy, A.R. Minerick, Determination of Water-Soluble and Fat-Soluble Vitamins in Tears and Blood Serum of Infants and Parents by Liquid Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry, Experimental Eye Research, 155, 54–63, 2017.
- Khaksari, M., L.R. Mazzoleni, C. Ruan, R.T. Kennedy, A.R. Minerick, Data Representing Two Separate LC-MS Methods for Detection and Quantification of Water-Soluble and Fat-Soluble Vitamins in Tears and Blood Serum, Data in Brief, 11, 316-330, ISSN 2352-3409, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dib.2017.02.033, 2017.
- Meadows, L.A., C. Whelan, D. Barrick, R. Kroodsma, C. Ruf, C.C. Teague, G.A. Meadows and S. Wang, “High Frequency Radar and its Application to Fresh Water,” Journal of Great Lakes Research, in press, 2013.
- Meadows, G.A., “A Review of Low Cost Underwater Acoustic Remote Sensing for Large Freshwater Systems,” Journal of Great Lakes Research, in press, 2013.
- Shuchman, R.A., L. Jenkins, C. Hatt, J Payne, S. Guyer, M. Sayers and G. Meadows, “A Combined SAR and Electro-Optical Satellite Based Algorithm to Estimate Water Depth and Volume of North Slope Lakes, Alaska,” Remote Sensing of the Environment, in review, 2012.
- Norton, R. K., L. A. Meadows, G. A. Meadows. “Drawing Lines in Law Books and on Sandy Beaches: Marking Ordinary High Water on Michigan’s Great Lakes Shorelines Under the Public Trust Doctrine.” Accepted and in-press by Coastal Management, 2011.
- Brown, H. C., Jenkins, L. K., Meadows, G.A., Shuchman, R.A., “BathyBoat: An Autonomous Surface Vessel for Stand Alone Survey and Underwater Vehicle Network Supervision,” Marine Technology Society Journal, Vol 44, No 4, 2010.
- Brown, H. C., Meadows, G.A., Jenkins, L. K., Shuchman, R.A., “Meet the New Autonomous Surface Vessel; Bathy Boat” Marine Technology Reporter Magazine, May 2010
- O’Shea, J.M. and G. Meadows, “Evidence for Early Hunters Beneath the Great Lakes,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 106, no. 25, pp. 10120 – 10123, June, 2009.
- Josberger, E., R. Shuchman, G. Meadows, L. Liversedge and L. Meadows, “Hydrologic Processes at Bering Glacier, and Vitus Lake, Alaska,“ GSA Monograph on Bering Glacier, accepted and in press, 2009.
- Josberger, E., R. Shuchman, G. Meadows, S. Savage and J. Payne “Hydrography and Circulation of Ice-Marginal Lakes at Bering Glacier, Alaska,” Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 547-560, 2006.
- Meadows, L., G. Meadows, A. Troesch, S. Cohen, K.P. Beier, G. Root, O. Griffin, and T. Swean, "Lagrangian Velocity Profiles in the Wake of a High Speed Vessel," Ocean Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 221-242, 1994.
- Meadows, G., R. Moll, T. Johengen, A. Bratkovich, J. Saylor, L. Meadows, and G. Pernie, "Vernal Thermal Fronts in Large Lakes: A Case Study from Lake Michigan," Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol., Vol. 25, pp. 65-68, 1993.
- Schwab, D.J., A.H. Clites, C.R. Murthy, J.E. Sandall, L.A. Meadows and G.A. Meadows, "The Effect of Wind on Transport and Circulation in Lake St. Clair," Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 94, C4, pp. 4947-4958, 1989.
- Meadows, G.A., L.A. Meadows, L. Weishar and L. Fields, "DARTS (Digital Automated Radar Tracking System) Applications to Tidal Inlet Hydrodynamic Studies," Proceedings of Hydrodynamics and Sediment Dynamics of Tidal Inlets, Lecture Notes on Coastal and Estuarine Studies, 29, pp. 169-185, 1988
- Breffle, W.S., M. Eiswerth, D. Muralidharan, and J. Thornton. (2015). Understanding how income influences willingness to pay for joint programs: A more equitable value measure for the less wealthy. Ecological Economics 109:17-25.
- Wright, S., D. Muralidharan, A. Mayer, and W.S. Breffle. (2014). Using contingent valuation to estimate the willingness to pay for improved water supplies in rural Ugandan villages. Journal of Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene for Development. Forthcoming.
- Khalyani, A. H., Mayer, A. L., Falkowski, M. J., Muralidharan, D. (2012). "Deforestation and landscape structure changes related to socioeconomic dynamics and climate change in Zagros forests," Journal of Land Use Science.
- Breffle, W. S., Muralidharan, D., Donovan, R. P., Liu, F., Mukherjee, A., Jin, Y. "Socioeconomic Evaluation of the Impact of Natural Resource Stressors on Human-Use Services in the Great Lakes Environment: A Lake Michigan Case Study," Resources Policy.
- Muralidharan, D., and K. C. Knapp (2009), Spatial dynamics of water management in irrigated agriculture, Water Resour. Res., 45, W05411
- Pan, L., and Yoon, R.-H., “Measurement of Hydrophobic Forces in Thin Liquid Films of Water between Bubbles and Xanthate-treated Gold Surfaces”, Miner. Eng., 2016, 98, 240-250.
- Yoon, R.-H., Soni, G., Huang, K., Park, S., and Pan, L., “Development of a turbulent flotation model from first principles and its validation”, Int. J. Miner. Process., 2016, 156, 43-51.
- Pan, L. and Yoon, R.-H., “Direct measurement of hydrodynamic and surface forces in bubble-particle interactions”, in Proceedings of XXVII International Mineral Processing Congress, Chile, 2014, pp. 242-251.
- Pan, L., Jung, S. and Yoon, R.-H., “A fundamental study on the role of collector in the kinetics of bubble-particle interaction,” Int. J. Miner. Process, 2012, 106-109, 37-41.
- Pan, L., Jung, S. and Yoon, R.-H., “Kinetics of thinning of the wetting films formed on the gold surfaces treated with potassium amyl xanthate,” in Separation Technologies, for minerals, coal, and earth resources, edited by C.A. Young, G.H. Luttrell, Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration, 2012, pp.57-64.
- Pan, L., Jung, S. and Yoon, R.-H., “Effect of hydrophobicity on the stability of the wetting films of water formed on gold surfaces,” J. of Colloid and Interface Sci., 2011, 361, 321-330.
- Pan, L. and Yoon, R.-H., “Hydrophobic forces in wetting films of water formed on xanthate‐coated gold surfaces,” Faraday Discuss., 2010, 146, 325-340.
Judith A. Perlinger
- Zhang, B., Owen, R.C., Perlinger, J.A., Kumar, A., Wu, S., Val Martin, M., Kramer, L., Helmig, D., and Honrath, R.E., A semi-Lagrangian view of ozone production tendency in North American outflow in the summers of 2009 and 2010, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 14, 2267-2287, 2014.
- Rowe, M.D., and Perlinger, J.A., Micrometeorological measurements of hexachlorobenzene and polychlorinated biphenyl compound air-water gas exchange in Lake Superior, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 12, 4607-4617, 2012.
- Nizzetto, L., and Perlinger, J.A., Climatic, biological and land cover controls on the exchange of gas-phase semivolatile chemical pollutants between air and forest canopies, Environ. Sci. Technol., 46, 2699-2707, 2012.
- Rowe, M.D. Fairall, C.W., and Perlinger, J.A., Chemical sensor resolution requirements for near-surface measurements of turbulent fluxes, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 11, 5263-5275, 2011.
- Rowe, M.D., Perlinger, J.A., and Fairall, C.W., A Lagrangian model to predict the modification of near-surface scalar mixing ratios and air–water exchange fluxes in offshore flow, Boundary-Layer Meteorol., 140, 87-103, 2011.
- Nizzetto, L., MacLeod, M., Cabrerizo, A., Dachs, J., Di Guardo, A., Ghirardello, D., Hansen, K.M., Jarvis, A., Lindroth, A., Ludwig, B., Monteith, D., Perlinger, J.A., Scheringer, M., Schwendenmann, L., Semple, K.T., Wick, L.Y., Zhang, G. and Jones, K.C., Past, present and future controls on levels of persistent organic pollutants in the global environment, Environ. Sci. Technol., 44, 6526-6531, 2010.
- Rowe, M.D., and Perlinger, J.A., Performance of a high flow-rate, thermally-extractable diffusion denuder for semivolatile organic chemical atmospheric concentration measurement, Environ. Sci. Technol., 44, 2098-2104, 2010.
- Rowe, M.D., and Perlinger, J.A., Prediction of gas collection efficiency and particle collection artifact for atmospheric semivolatile organic compounds in multicapillary denuders, J. Chromatogr. A, 1217, 256-263, 2010.
- Rowe, M.D., and Perlinger, J.A., Gas-phase cleanup method for analysis of trace atmospheric semivolatile organic compounds by thermal desorption from diffusion denuders, J. Chromatogr. A, 216, 5940-5948, 2009.
- Rowe, M.D., Perlinger, J.A., and Urban, N.R., Modeling contaminant behavior in Lake Superior: A comparison of PCBs, PBDEs, and mercury, In: State of Lake Superior, M. Munawar, I.F. Munawar (Eds.), Ecovision World Monograph Series, Aquatic Ecosystem Health & Management Society, Burlington, Canada, 239-286, 2009.
Timothy J. Scarlett
- Rouleau, Laura, Steven Walton, Sarah Scarlett, and Timothy Scarlett. (2019). Historic Resources Study for Pullman National Monument, Chicago, IL. Midwest Archaeology Center, National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior. December 31 st, 2019.
- Strychar, Kevin, Frank Lupi, Steven Miller, John Baeten, David J Flaspohler, Sarah Green, Amanda Grimm, Latika Gupta, Kelly Kamm, Will Lytle, Guy Meadows, Daisuke Minakata, Amlan Mukherjee, Jill A Olin, Gordon Paterson, Mark Rouleau, Mir Sadri-Sabet, Timothy Scarlett, Chelsea Schelly, David Shonnard, Roman Sidortsov, Bethel Tarekegne, Stephen Techtmann, Adam Wellstead, and Pengfei Xue (2018). Independent Risk Analysis for the Straits Pipelines-Final Report. Project ID 1801011. Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James. (2017). A Dangerous Discipline: Practicing Historical Archaeology in the Mormon Domain. In Margaret Purser and Mark Warner (eds.), Historical Archaeology through a Western Lens, University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy and Steven Walton. (2017). Archaeological Overview and Assessment, Pullman National Monument, Chicago, Illinois. Midwest Archaeology Center, National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior. June 9 th, 2017. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James. (2016). Potential Applications of Supercritical Carbon Dioxide Extraction and Impregnation for the Stabilization and Conservation of Industrial Heritage Artifacts . Final Project Report (Grant #P11AP60840) submitted to the National Center for Preservation Technology and Training, National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior. January 15 th, 2016. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James, Amy M. Bastion, Leslie G. Cecil, Christopher W. Merritt, and Michael Glascock. (2015). A Muddy Study: Historical Archaeology and Archaeometry for Societies in Contact. In Jaume Buxeda I Garrigós, Marisol Madrid i Fernández, and dfff G. Iñañez (eds.), Global Pottery 1: Historical Archaeology and Archaeometry for Societies in Contact. British Archaeological Reports (BfgAR), International Series 2761, Archaeopress Press, Oxford, UK. pp. 397-409. Read More
- Zhao, Shan, Bowen, Patrick. K., Drelich, Jaroslaw., and Scarlett, Timothy James. (2015). Modeling “Reproducibility in Rehydroxylation of Ceramic Artifacts.” Journal of the American Ceramic Society 98(10):3367–3372. Read More
- Bowen, P. K., Drelich, J. D., and Scarlett, T. J. (2013). Modeling Rehydration/Rehydroxylation Mass-Gain Curves for Davenport Ceramics. Journal of the American Ceramic Society (2013):1-7. Read More
- Drelich, Jaroslaw., Bowen, Patrick. K., and Scarlett, Timothy James. (2013). "Effect of Humidity Instability on Rehydroxylation in Fired Clay Ceramics" Journal of the American Ceramic Society 96(4):1047-1050. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James and Samuel Sweitz. (2012). Constructing new knowledge in Industrial Archaeology. In Harold Mytum (ed.), Global Perspectives on Archaeological Field Schools. Springer Verlag, New York, pp. 119-145. Read More
- Bowen, Patrick K., Helen J. Ranck, Timothy J. Scarlett, and Jaroslaw W. Drelich. (2011). Rehydration/Rehydroxylation Kinetics of Reheated XIX-Century Davenport (Utah) Ceramic. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 94(8):258-2591. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James. (2010). What if the Local is Exotic and the Imported Mundane? Measuring Ceramic Exchanges in Mormon Utah. In Carolyn Dillan and Carolyn White (eds.), Trade and Exchange: Archaeological Studies from History and Prehistory. Springer Verlag, New York, pp. 165-178. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James, Michael Deegan, and Renée Blackburn. (2009). Two Seasons of Excavation at the 1865 Office Building at Scenic Hudson's West Point Foundry Preserve. IA: the Journal of the Society for Industrial Archaeology 35(1-2):105-115.
- Deegan, Michael and Timothy James Scarlett. (2008). The Conservation of Ferrous Metals from the West Point Foundry Site. Bulletin of the New York State Archaeological Association 124: 56-68.
- Scarlett, Timothy James, Robert J. Speakman, and Michael D. Glascock. (2007). Pottery in the Mormon Economy: an Historical and Archaeometric Study. Historical Archaeology. 41(4):70-95. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James, Jeremy Rahn, and Daniel Scott. (2006). Bricks and an Evolving Industrial Landscape: the West Point Foundry and New York's Hudson River Valley. Northeast Historical Archaeology 35:29-46.
- Scarlett, Timothy James. (2006). Flowscapes of Globalization in Mormon Pioneer Utah. International Journal of Historical Archaeology 10(2):109-134. Read More
- Schelly, C. 2017. Dwelling in Resistance: Living with Alternative Technologies in America. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press. Read More
- Prehoda, E., Schelly, C., and Pearce, JM. (2017). U.S. Strategic Solar Photovoltaic-Powered Microgrid Deployment for Enhanced National Security. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews 78: 167-175 Read More
- Banerjee, Aparajita, Chelsea L. Schelly, and Kathleen E. Halvorsen. (2017). Understanding public perceptions of wood-based electricity production in Wisconsin, United States: place-based dynamics and Social Representations. Environmental Sociology. Online first, available online Read More
- Schelly, C. and Banerjee, A. (2016). Soft Energy Paths Revisited: Politics and Practice in Energy Technology Transitions. Challenges 7, 16
- Kreuze, A. Schelly, C, and Norman, E.S. (2016). To Frack or not to Frack: Perceptions of the Risks and Opportunities of High-Volume Hydraulic Fracturing in the United States. Energy Research and Social Sciences 20: 45-54. Read More
- Schelly, C. (2016) Understanding Energy Practices. Society & Natural Resources 29(6): 744-749 Read More
- Schelly, C. 2016. Crafting Collectivity: American Rainbow Gatherings and Alternative Forms of Community. Routledge. Originally printed in 2014 by Paradigm Publishers, Boulder CO.
- “Pan American Highway: Roads and Politics,” Routes-Roads (forthcoming April 2012).
- “Der Pan American Highway – eine Straße zwischen zwei Kontinenten,” Zeitschrift für Weltgeschichte Vol. 12.2 (November 2011): 141-73.
- “Expertise, Politics and Highways in the U.S., 1960-2000,” Routes-Roads (April 2011) no. 350, pp. 86-91.
- “The Pre-History of the Interstate Highway Program,” Routes-Roads (October 2010) no. 347, pp. 88-91.
- “Editorial Introduction: NASA and Technology Transfer in Historical Perspective,” Comparative Technology Transfer and Society 6, no. 1 (April 2008): 1-16.
- “The Secret is the System,” Wilson Quarterly 32, no. 2 (Spring 2008): 47-49, 51-58.
- John Jaszczak and Bruce E. Seely, “Developing Nano Education at a Technological University: Science, Technology, and Societal Implications of Nanotechnology,” in Aldrin E. Sweeney & Sudipta Seal, eds., Nanoscale Science and Engineering Education: Issues, Trends and Future Directions (American Scientific Publishers, 2008), pp. 591-619.
- Brewer, S.S.; Techtmann, S.M.; Mahmoudi, N.; Niang, D.; Pfiffner, S.M.; Hazen, T.C. Co-extraction of DNA and PLFA from soil samples Journal of Microbiological Methods, Volume 115, August 2015, Pages 64-66, ISSN 0167-7012
- Smith, M.B; Rocha. A.M.; Oleson, S.W.; Paradis, C.; Smillie, C.S.; Campbell. J.H.; Fortney, J.L.; Mehlhorn, T.L.; Lowe. K.A.; Earles, J.E.; Phillips, J.; Techtmann, S.M.; Joyner, D.C.; Preheim, S.P.; Sanders, M.S.; Mueller, M.A; Brooks, S.; Watson, D.B.; Wu, L; Zhang, P.; He, Z.; Zhou, J.; Adams, M.W.W.; Lancaster, A.; Poole, F.; Adams, P.D.; Arkin, A.P.; Fields, M.; Alm, E.J.; Hazen, T.C. (2015) Natural bacterial communities as quantitative biosensors. 6.3 (2015): e00326-15.
- Techtmann, S.M.; Fortney, J.L; Ayers, K.A.; Linley, T.D.; Pfiffner, S.M.; Hazen, T.C. (2015) The Unique Chemistry of Eastern Mediterranean Water Masses Selects for Distinct Microbial Communities by Depth. PLoS ONE 10(3): e0120605. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0120605
- Mahmoudi, N.; Robeson, M.S.; Castro, H.; Fortney, J.L.; Techtmann, S.M.; Joyner, D.C.; Paradis, C.; Pfiffner, S.M.; Hazen, T.C. (2015) Microbial community composition and diversity in Caspian Sea sediments. FEMS Microbial Ecology Dec 2014 DOI: 10.1093/femsec/fiu013
- Hazen, T.C.; Rocha, A.M.; Techtmann S.M. (2013) Advances in monitoring environmental microbes. Current Opinions in Biotechnology 24 (3), 526-533.
- Sambuughin, N; Swietnicki, W; Techtmann, S.; Matrosova, V; Wallace, T; Goldfarb, L; Maynard, E. (2012) KBTBD13 Interacts with Cullin 3 to form a functional Ubiquitin Ligase Biochem Biophys Res Commun 421(4):743-9
- Techtmann, S.M.; Lebedinsky, A.V.; Colman, A.S.; Sokolova, T.G.; Woyke, T.; Goodwin, L; Robb, F.T. (2012) Evidence for Horizontal Gene Transfer of Anaerobic Carbon Monoxide Dehydrogenases. Front. Microbio. - Evolutionary and Genomic Microbiology 3:132
- Techtmann, S.M.; Ghirlando, R.; Kao, S.; Strebel, K; Maynard, E. (2012) Hydrodynamic and Functional Analysis of HIV-1 Vif Oligomerization, Biochemistry. 2012 Feb 27.
- Techtmann S.M., Colman A.S., Murphy M.B., Schackwitz W., Goodwin L., Robb F.T. (2011) Regulation of multiple carbon monoxide consumption pathways in anaerobic bacteria. Front. Microbio. - Evolutionary and Genomic Microbiology 2: 147 Epub 2011 Jul 11
- Techtmann S.M., Robb, F.T. (2010) Archaeal-like Chaperonins in Bacteria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 107(47):20269-74. Epub 2010 Nov 5.
- Techtmann, S.M., Colman, A.S., Robb, F.T. (2009) “That Which Does Not Kill Us Only Makes Us Stronger”: The Role of Carbon Monoxide in Thermophilic Microbial Consortia, Environmental Microbiology 11(5); 1027 - 1037
Noel R. Urban
- Atilla, N., McKinley, G.A., Bennington, V., Baehr, M., Urban, N.R., DeGrandpre, M., Desai, A.R., Wu, C. 2010, Observed Variability of Lake Superior pCO2, Limnol. Oceanogr., 56(3):775-786.
- McDonald, C.P., Urban, N.R., Casey, C.M. 2010, Modeling historical trends in Lake Superior total nitrogen concentrations, J. Great Lakes Res. 36(4):715-721.
- McDonald, C.P., Urban, NR, Barkach, JH, McCauley, D. 2009, Copper profiles in the sediments of a mining-impacted lake, Journal Soils and Sediments, 10(3):343-349.
- McDonald, CP, Urban, NR, 2009, Using a model selection criterion to identify appropriate complexity in aquatic biogeochemical models, Ecol. Modeling, 221(3): 428-432.
- Schultz, P., Urban NR, 2007, Effects of bacterial dynamics on organic matter decomposition and nutrient release from sediments: A modeling study, Ecol. Modeling, doi:10.1016/j.ecolmodel. 2007.06.026
- Urban, NR, MT Auer, SA Green, D Apul, L Bub, KD Elenbaas, X Lu, 2005, Carbon cycling in L. Superior, J. Geophys. Res., 110(C6): doi: 10.1029/2003JC002230 C06S90
- Urban, NR, Apul, D.S., Auer, MT, 2004, Planktonic Respiration Rates in Lake Superior, J. Great Lakes Res., 30(Suppl. 1):230-244
David Watkins, PE
- Heidari, A., Mayer, A.S., and Watkins, D.W. (2019). “Hydrologic impacts and trade-offs associated with forest-based bioenergy development practices in a snow-dominated watershed, Wisconsin, USA,” Journal of Hydrology, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2019.04.067.
- Alian, S., Mayer, A.S., Maclean, A., Watkins, D. and Mirchi, A. (2019). “Spatiotemporal dimensions of water stress accounting: Incorporating groundwater-surface water interactions and ecological thresholds,” Environmental Science & Technology, 53(5), 2316–2323.
- Watkins, D., Shwom, R, Schelly, C., Agusdinata, B., Floress, K., and Halvorsen, K.E. (2018). “Understanding Household Conservation, Climate Change, and the Food-Energy-Water Nexus from a Transdisciplinary Perspective,” in A Research Agenda for Environmental Management, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Mirchi, A., Watkins, D. W., Engel, V., Sukop, M. C., Czajkowski, J., Bhat, M., Rehage, J., Letson, D, Takatsuka, Y., and Weisskoff, R. (2018). “A hydro-economic model of South Florida water resources system,” Science of the Total Environment, 628-629, 1531-1541.
- Brown, C.E., Bhat, M.G., Rehage, J.S., Mirchi, A., Boucek, R., Engel, V., Ault, J., Mozumder, P., Watkins, D., and Sukop, M. (2018). “Ecological-economic assessment of the effects of freshwater flow in the Florida Everglades on recreational fisheries,” Science of the Total Environment, 627, 480-493.
- Takatsuka, Y., Niekus, M.R., Harrington, J., Feng, S., Watkins, D., Mirchi, A., Nguyen, H., and Sukop, M.C. (2018). “Value of irrigation water usage in South Florida agriculture,” Science of the Total Environment, 626, 486-496.
- Lanier, A.L., Drabik, J.R., Heikkila, T., Bolson, J., Sukop, M.C., Watkins, D.W., Rehage, J., Mirchi, A., Engel, V. and Letson, D. (2018). “Facilitating integration in interdisciplinary research: Lessons from a south Florida water, sustainability, and climate project,” Environmental Management, 62(6), 1025-1037.
- Spellman, P., Webster, V., and Watkins, D. (2018). “Bias correcting instantaneous peak flows generated using a continuous, semi‐distributed hydrologic model,” Journal of Flood Risk Management, e12342.
- Czajkowski, J., Engel, V., Martinez, C., Mirchi, A., Watkins, D., Hughes, J., and Sukop, M. (2017). “Economic impacts of urban flooding in south Florida: Potential consequences of managing groundwater to prevent salt water intrusion,” Science of the Total Environment, 621, 465-478.
- Miller, L.B., M.C. Moritz, and D.W. Watkins (2017). “Connectivity and Source Protection: Perspectives on Water and Sanitation Challenges in Rural Indigenous Panama,” Proc. World Environmental and Water Resources Congress, ASCE, Sacramento, CA, May 20-24.
- Yang, X., You, Z., Hiller, J., and Watkins, D. (2017). “Sensitivity of flexible pavement design to Michigan’s climatic inputs using pavement ME design,” International Journal of Pavement Engineering, 18(7), 622-632.
- Moraes, M.M.G.A., Ribeiro, M.M.R., Watkins, D.W., Viana, J.H.N., Figueiredo, L.E.N., da Silva, G.S. and Carneiro, A.C.G. (2016). “Integrated economic models to support decisions on water pricing in biofuel production river basins: three case studies from Brazil,” Biofuels, Bioprod. Bioref., 10(3), 255–269.
- Zhang, F., Johnson, D., Johnson, M., Watkins, D., Froese, R., Wang, J. (2016). “Decision support system integrating GIS with simulation and optimisation for a biofuel supply chain,” Renewable Energy, 85, 740-748.
- Pouryousef, H., Lautala, P., Watkins, D. (2016). “Development of hybrid optimization of train schedules model for N-track rail corridors,” Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 67, 169-192.
- Watkins, D., M. Moraes, H. Asbjornsen, A. Mayer, J. Licata, J. Gutierrez, T. Pypker, V. Molina, G. Marques, A. Carneiro, H. Nuñez, H. Önal, and B. Germano (2015). “Bioenergy Development and Integrated Water-Energy Management in Pan America,” Environmental Management, 56(6), 1295-1314.
- LaBeau, M., A.S. Mayer, V.W. Griffis, D.W. Watkins, D. Robertson, R. Gyawali (2015). “The importance of considering shifts in seasonal changes in discharges when predicting future phosphorus loads in streams,” Biogeochemistry, 126(1-2), 153-172.
- Gyawali R., V.W. Griffis, D.W. Watkins Jr., and N.M. Fennessey (2015). “Regional regression models for hydro-climate change impact assessment,” Hydrol. Process., 29(8), 1972–1985.
- Gyawali, R., D.W. Watkins Jr., V.W. Griffis, and B.F. Lofgren (2014). “Energy budget considerations for hydro-climatic impact assessment in Great Lakes watersheds,” Journal of Great Lakes Research, 40(4): 940–948, doi: 10.1016/j.jglr.2014.09.005.
- Mirchi, A., D.W. Watkins Jr., C.J. Huckins, K. Madani, and P. Hjorth (2014). “Water resources management in a homogenizing world: Averting the Growth and Underinvestment trajectory,” Water Resour. Res., 50, doi:10.1002/2013WR015128.
- Ilorme, F., V.W. Griffis, and D.W. Watkins Jr. (2014). “Regional Rainfall Frequency and Ungaged Basin Analysis for Flood Risk Assessment in Haiti,” Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, ASCE, 19(1), 123–132.
- Lofgren, B.M., A.D. Gronewold, A. Acciaioli, J. Cherry, A. Steiner, and D. Watkins (2013). “Methodological Approaches to Projecting the Hydrologic Impacts of Climate Change,” Earth Interactions, 17, 1–19.
- Etkin, D., P. Kirshen, D. Watkins, G. Hoogenboom, M. Roncoli, et al. (2013). “Stochastic Programming for Improved Multi-Use Reservoir Operation in Burkina Faso, West Africa,” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000396.
- Fry, L.M., D.W. Watkins Jr., N. Reents, M.D. Rowe, and J.R. Mihelcic (2012). “Climate Change and Development Impacts on the Sustainability of Spring-fed Water Supply Systems in the Alto Beni Region of Bolivia,” Journal of Hydrology, 468-469: 120-129.
- Mirchi, A., K. Madani, D.W. Watkins Jr., and S. Ahmad (2012). “Synthesis of System Dynamics Tools for Holistic Conceptualization of Water Resources Problems,” Water Resources Management, 26(9), 2421-2442.
Veronica L. Webster, PE
- Dawdy, D. R., V. W. Griffis, and V. K. Gupta (2012) Regional Flood Frequency Analysis: How We Got Here and Where We are Going. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 17(9), 953-959.
- Stedinger, J. R. and V. W. Griffis (2011) Getting From Here to Where? Flood Frequency Analysis and Climate. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 47: 506–513. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00545.x
- Griffis, V. W. and J. R. Stedinger (2009) The log-Pearson type 3 distribution and its application in flood frequency analysis, 3. Sample Skew and Weighted Skew Estimators. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 14(2), 209-212.
- Stedinger, J. R. and V. W. Griffis (2008) Flood frequency analysis in the United States: Time to Update. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 13(4), 199-204. (editorial)
- Griffis, V. W. and J. R. Stedinger (2007) The use of GLS regression in regional hydrologic analyses. Journal of Hydrology, 344(1-2), 82-95.
- Griffis, V. W. and J. R. Stedinger (2007) The log-Pearson type 3 distribution and its application in flood frequency analysis, 2. Parameter estimation methods. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 12(5), 492-500.
- Griffis, V. W. and J. R. Stedinger (2007) The log-Pearson type 3 distribution and its application in flood frequency analysis, 1. Distribution characteristics. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 12(5), 482-491.
- Griffis, V. W. and J. R. Stedinger (2007) Evolution of flood frequency analysis with Bulletin 17. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 12(3), 283-297.
- Griffis, V. W., J. R. Stedinger, and T. A. Cohn (2004) LP3 quantile estimators with regional skew information and low outlier adjustments. Water Resources Research, vol.40, W07503, doi:1029/2003WR002697.
Adam M. Wellstead
- Carson, D. and A. Wellstead. (Accepted) Policy Work at Risk: The Case of the Northern Territory, Australia. Australian Journal of Public Administration.
- Evans, B. and A. Wellstead. (Accepted) Tales of Policy Estrangement: Non-governmental Policy Work and Capacity in Three Canadian Provinces. Canadian Journal of Nonprofit and Social Economy Research.
- Wellstead, A. and R. Stedman. (Accepted) Addressing the Challenges of Climate Change Policy: Integrating Public Management and Public Policy Studies. International Journal of Public Administration.
- Vesel, A., Wellstead. A. and B. Evans. (Accepted) Comparing sub-national policy workers in Canada and the Czech Republic: Who are they, what they do, and why it matters? Policy and Society.
- Howlett, M., Tan, S. Migone, A., Wellstead, A. and B. Evans. (Accepted) Policy Formulation and the Tools of Policy Appraisal: The Distribution of Analytical Techniques in Policy Advisory Systems Public Policy and Administration.
- Petersen, B. and A. Wellstead. 2014. Responding to a Forest Catastrophe: The Emergence of New Governance Arrangements in Southern California. ISRN Economics.
- Wellstead, A. Rayner, J. and M. Howlett. 2014. Beyond the Black Box: Forest Sector Vulnerability Assessments and Adaptation to Climate Change in North America. Environmental Science and Policy. 35. 109-116
- Rayner, J., K. McNutt and A. Wellstead. 2013. Dispersed Capacity and Weak Coordination: The Challenge of Climate Change Adaptation in Canada's Forest Policy Sector. Review of Policy Research. 30:1. 66-90.
- Newman, J., A. Perl, A. Wellstead and K. McNutt. 2013. Policy Capacity for Climate Change in Canada's Transportation Sector. Review of Policy Research. 30:1. 19-41.
- Howlett, J., and J. Rayner. 2013. Understanding Governance in the Forest Sector: Overcoming Latent Structural-Functionalism in Climate Change Vulnerability Assessments. Ecology and Society. 18(3): 23
- Evans, B. and A. Wellstead. 2013. Policy Dialogue and Engagement Between Non-Government Organizations and Government: A Survey of Processes and Instruments of Canadian Policy Workers. Central European Journal of Public Policy. 7:1. 60-86.
- Doelle, M., Tollefson, C., Henschel, C., A. Wellstead, and J. Smith. 2012. New Governance Arrangements at the Intersection of Climate Change and Forest Policy: Institutional, Political and Regulatory Dimensions. Public Administration. 90:1. 37-55.
- Wellstead, A. and R. Stedman. 2012.The Role of Climate Change Policy Work in Canada, Canadian Political Science Review, Vol 6, No 1 (117-124). Read More
- Howlett, M. and A. Wellstead. 2012. The Nature of Policy Work and Policy Capacity at the Sub-national Level: Evidence from Canada's Provinces and Territories. Canadian Public Administration. 55:1. 53-68.
- Howlett, M. and A. Wellstead. 2012. Policy Work in Multi-Level States: Institutional Autonomy and Task Allocation among Canadian Policy Analysts. Canadian Journal of Political Science. 45:4. 757-780.
- Wellstead, A., R. Stedman, and M. Howlett. 2011. Multi-Level Policy Analytical Capacity in Canada: A Structural Equation Model (SEM) Study of Federal, Provincial and Territorial Policy Analysts and Analysis. Public Policy and Administration.
- Aubin, I. , C.M. Garbe , S. Colombo , C. R. Drever , D. W. McKenney, C. Messier, J. Pedlar, M. A. Saner , L. Venier, A. M. Wellstead , R. Winder , E. Witten , C. Ste-Marie. 2011. Why we disagree about assisted migration : Ethical implications of a key debate regarding the future of Canada's forests. Forestry Chronicle. 87. 755-765.
- Howlett, M. and A. Wellstead. 2011. Policy Analysts in the Bureaucracy Revisited: The Nature of Professional Policy Work in Contemporary Government. Politics & Policy. 39: 613-633
Richelle L. Winkler
- Moving to Diversity Read More
- Moving toward Integration? Effects of Migration on Ethnoracial Segregation across the Rural-Urban Continuum Read More
- How Migration Impacts Rural America Read More
- Emerging economic viability of grid defection in a northern climate using solar hybrid systems Read More
- Boom, bust and beyond: Arts and sustainability in Calumet, Michigan Read More
- Migration signatures: Net migration by age and race/ethnicity in U.S. counties, 1950-2010 Read More
- Winkler, Richelle. 2013. “Living on lakes: Segregated communities and social exclusion in a natural amenity destination.” The Sociological Quarterly 54 (1): 105-129. Read More
- Winkler, Richelle and Keith Warnke. 2013. “The future of hunting: An age-period-cohort analysis of deer hunter decline.” Population and Environment 34(4): 460-480 Read More
- Desmond, M. W. An, R. Winkler, and T. Ferriss. 2013. "Evicting Children." Social Forces 92 (1): 303-327. Read More
- Winkler, Richelle, Schewe, Rebecca and David Matarrita-Cascante. 2013. “Lakes and community: The importance of natural landscapes in social research.” Society and Natural Resources 26 (2): 158-175. Read More
- Amenity migration in the new global economy: Current issues and research priorities Read More
- Winkler, R. 2013. "Research Note: Segregated by Age: Are we becoming more divided?" Population Research and Policy Review 32(5): 717-727. Read More
- Richelle Winkler & Rozalynn Klaas (2012): Residential segregation by age in the United States, Journal of Maps, DOI:10.1080/17445647.2012.739099 Read More
- Recreational housing and community development: A triple bottom line approach Read More
- Winkler, Richelle, Shaun Golding and Cheng Cheng. 2011. “Boom or bust? How migration impacts population composition in different types of natural resource dependent communities in the rural US.” In L. Kulcsar and K. Curtis (eds.), International Handbook of Rural Demography. The Springer Series on Demographic Methods and Population Analysis. New York: Springer. Read More
- Winkler, Richelle. 2009. “Social capital and concerns facing lower income young adults in the Brainerd Lakes area.” CES4Health.info (Community Engaged Scholarship). 11/10/2009. ID#ML6SYW4F. Read More
- Winkler, Richelle L., Donald R. Field, Richard S. Krannich, A.E. Luloff, and Tracy Williams. 2007. “Social landscapes of the Inter-Mountain West: A comparison of ‘Old West’ and ‘New West’ communities.” Rural Sociology 72 (3): 478-501. Read More