Researchers at Michigan Tech’s Great Lakes Research Center are at the forefront of advanced research on a multitude of Great Lakes issues. From invasive species and coastal biology to marine engineering and water governance, our researchers work on challenging problems in many different areas. Discover more about Great Lakes research at Michigan Tech below by browsing each researcher’s recent publications.
- 2022. Apriesnig, J. L., Warziniack, T., Finnoff, D. C., Zhang, H., Lee, K., Mason, D., Rutherford, E. Published The Consequences of Misrepresenting Feedbacks in Coupled Human and Environmental Models. Ecological Economics 195. Elsevier.
- 2021. Lee, K., Apriesnig, J. L., Zhang, H. Published Socio-ecological evaluation of bioeconomic fisheries management: the case of Yellow Perch in Lake Erie. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution 9. https://doi.org/10.3389/fevo.2021.703813.
- 2021. Campbell, V., Thompson, J., Apriesnig, J. L., Pendell, D., Tonsor, G. Published Producer’s Willingness to Invest in On-Farm Carcass Disposal: a Study on U.S. Poultry. Journal of Applied Poultry Research 30(4).
- 2021. Palm, K., Campbell, G. A., Apriesnig, J. L. Published Sustainable Management of Local Fisheries: A Case Study of Laoang, Northern Sama, Philippines. Marine Policy 132. Elsevier.
- 2020. Apriesnig, J. L., Manning, D. T., Suter, J. F., Magzamen, S., Cross, J. E. Published Academic Stars and Energy Stars, an Assessment of Student Academic Achievement and School Building Energy Efficiency. Energy Policy 147. Elsevier. https://www.journals.elsevier.com/energy-policy. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2020.111859.
- 2020. Vongsikeo, V., Breffle, W. S., Apriesnig, J. L., Barkdoll, B. D. Published The Economic Value of Carbon Sequestration Through Tree Planting in Laos. Asian Development Policy Review 8(2), 102-111. 10.18488/journal.107.2020.82.102.111.
- 2017. Warziniack, T., Finnoff, D., Apriesnig, J. L. Published Description of the General Equilibrium Model of Ecosystem Services (GEMES). General Technical Report Rocky Mountain Research Station ( vol. 359, pp. 14). Fort Collins, CO: US Department of Agriculture. www.fs.usda.gov/treesearch/pubs/53836.
- 2016. Lodge, D. M., Simonin, P. W., Burgiel, S. W., Keller, R. P., Bossenbroek, J. M., Jerde, C. L., Kramer, A. M., Rutherford, E. S., Barnes, M. A., Wittmann, M. E., Chadderton, W. L., Apriesnig, J. L., o. Published Risk analysis and bioeconomics of invasive species to inform policy and management. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 41, 453--488. Annual Reviews. 10.1146/annurev-environ-110615-085532.
Martin T. Auer
Auer, M.T., Kieser, M.S., and R.P. Canale. 1986. Identification of critical nutrient levels through field verification of models for phosphorus and phytoplankton growth. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 43(2): 379-388.
Canale, R.P. and M.T. Auer. 1987. Personal computers and environmental engineering. Environmental Science and Technology, 21(10): 936-942.
Auer, M.T. and S.W. Effler. 1989. Variability in photosynthesis: Impact on DO models. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 115(5): 944-963.Effler, S.W., Brooks, C.M., Auer, M.T., and S.M. Doerr. 1990. Free ammonia and toxicity criteria in a polluted urban lake. Research Journal of the Water Pollution Control Federation, 62(6): 771-779.
- Auer, M.T. and S.L. Niehaus. 1993. Modeling fecal coliform bacteria: I. Field and laboratory determination of loss kinetics. Water Research, 27(4): 693-701.
Storey, M.L., Auer, M.T., Barth, A.K., and J.M. Graham. 1993. Site-specific determination of kinetic coefficients for modeling algal growth. Ecological Modelling, 66: 181-196.
Heidtke, T.M. and M.T. Auer. 1993. Application of a GIS-based nonpoint source nutrient loading model for assessment of land development scenarios and water quality in Owasco Lake, New York. Water Science and Technology, 28(3-5): 595-604.
Nancy A. Auer
- Oyadomari, J.K. and N.A. Auer. 2004. Inshore-Offshore distribution of larval fishes in Lake Superior off the western coast of the Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan. Journal of Great Lakes Research. Vol. 30. Supplement 1, 369-384.
- Oyadomari, J.K. and N. A. Auer. 2007. Influence of Rearing Temperature and Feeding Regime on Otolith Increment Deposition in Larval Cisco. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 136(3):766-777.
- Auer, N.A. and E.A. Baker. 2007. Assessment of Lake Sturgeon Spawning Stocks Using Fixed-location, Split-beam Sonar Technology. Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 23:113-121.
- Oyadomari, J.K. and N. A. Auer. 2007. Influence of Rearing Temperature and Feeding Regime on Otolith Increment Deposition in Larval Cisco. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 136 (3):766-777.
- Auer, N.A. and E.A. Baker. 2007. Assessment of Lake Sturgeon Spawning Stocks Using Fixed-location, Split-beam Sonar Technology. Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 23:113-121.
- Oyadomari, J.K. and N. A. Auer. 2008. Transport and growth of larval cisco (Coregonus artedi) in the Keweenaw Current region of Lake Superior. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 65: 1447-1458.
- Chiotti, J.A., Holtgren, J.M., Auer, N.A. and S.A. Ogren. 2008. Lake Sturgeon Spawning Habitat in the Big Manistee River, Michigan. North American Journal of Fisheries Management. 28:1009-1019.
- Auer, N.A. 2009. Importance of woody material in Great Lake aquatic food webs. International Association of Theoretical and Applied Limnology. 30(8):1298-1300.
- Auer, N.A. Requested Book Critique. 2009. Anadromous sturgeons â€“ Whatâ€™s in a name? Environmental Biology of Fishes. 84:153-155.
- Auer, N.A., B.A. Cannon and M.T. Auer. 2009. Life History, Distribution and production of Diporeia near the Keweenaw Peninsula, Lake Superior. Journal of Great Lakes Research. 35:570-590
- Auer, M.T., L. A. Bub, N. A. Auer and N. R. Urban. 2010. Primary production, carbon flux and the distribution of the amphipod Diporeia in Lake Superior. International Association of Theoretical and Applied Limnology. 30(10):1499-1505.
- Homola, J.J., K. T. Scribner, E. A. Baker, and N. A. Auer. 2010. Genetic assessment of straying rates of wild and hatchery reared lake sturgeon (Acipenser fulvescens) in Lake Superior tributaries. Journal of Great Lakes Research. 36 (2010):798â€“802.
- Mann, K.A., J. M. Holtgren, N. A. Auer and S.Ogren. (2011) Comparing size, movement and habitat selection of wild and streamside-reared lake sturgeon. North American Journal Fisheries Management. 31(2):305-314, First published on: 25 April 2011 (iFirst).
- Auer, M.T., N.A. Auer, N.R. Urban and M.T.A.Auer (2/6/2013) Distribution of the Amphipod Diporeia in Lake Superior:The Ring of Fire. International Journal of Great Lakes Research, vol. 39 (1):33-46.
- Auer, M.T., Auer, N.A., Barkdoll, B.B., Bornhorst, T.J., Brooks, C., Dempsey, D., Doskey, P.V., Green, S.A., Hyslop, M.D., Kerfoot, W.K., Mayer, A.S., Perlinger, J.A., Shuchman, R., Urban, N.R. and Watkins, Jr., D.W. NOV 2013. The Great Lakes: Foundations of Physics, Hydrology, Water Chemistry, and Biodiversity. In, J. Schnoor (ed.), Water Quality and Sustainability, Elsevier Publishers, London. Auer, M.T., Auer, N.A., Barkdoll, B.B., Bornhorst, T.J., Brooks, C., Dempsey, D., Doskey, P.V., Green, S.A., Hyslop, M.D., Kerfoot, W.K., Mayer, A.S., Perlinger, J.A., Shuchman, R., Urban, N.R. and Watkins, Jr., D.W. NOV 2013. The Great Lakes: Nutrients, Sediments, Persistent Pollutants, and Policy Perspectives for a Sustainable Future. In, J. Schnoor (ed.), Water Quality and Sustainability, Elsevier Publishers, London.
- Dempsey D. and N. Auer. (editors and authors) 6/2013. The Great Lake Sturgeon. Michigan State University Press. Chapters: Auer, N. Form and Function Chapter, Auer, N. Preface and Conclusion Chapter, Importance of Connectivity and Corridors for Migration and Future Management and Stewardship of Lake Sturgeon, and Baker, E.A. and N. Auer, Sturgeon Habitat, Foods, and Feeding
Jung Yun Bae
A Heuristic for Task Allocation and Routing of Heterogeneous Robots while Minimizing Maximum Travel Cost, 2019 International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 4531-4537, 2019
Heuristics for Two Depot Heterogeneous Unmanned Vehicle Path Planning to Minimize Maximum Travel Cost, Sensors, 19 (11), pp. 2461, 2019
Efficient path planning for multiple transportation robots under various loading conditions, International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, 16 (2), https://doi.org/10.1177/1729881419835110, 2019
A Heuristic for Path Planning of Multiple Heterogeneous Automated Guided Vehicles, International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing 19 (12), pp. 1765–1771, 2018
Brian D. Barkdoll, PE
- Barkdoll, B.D. (2023). "Moving statistic method (MSM) for quantification of changes in precipitation intensity and dry periods caused by climate change and demonstration on major U.S. cities." Sustain. Water Resour. Manag. 9, 94 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1007/
- Sheefa DE, Handler RM, Barkdoll BD. (2022). "Eco-efficiency analysis of water distribution system flushing into a containment Pond." J Environ Manage. 2022 Nov 1;321:115987. doi: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2022.115987. Epub 2022 Aug 24. PMID: 36027734.
- Javid, A., Roudbari, A., Yousefi, N. et al. Modeling of chromium (VI) removal from aqueous solution using modified green-Graphene: RSM-CCD approach, optimization, isotherm, and kinetic studies. >J Environ Health Sci Engineer (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40201-020-00479-8
Kraft, Lily & Barkdoll, Brian D. (2020) "Effect of reservoir elevation on energy consumption in water distribution systems," Urban Water Journal,
- Tavakoli, H. (Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geospatial Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1400 Townsend Dr., Houghton; MI; 49931, United States); Barkdoll, B.D., Sustainability-based optimization algorithm
Source: International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, v 17, n 3, p 1537-1550, March 1, 2020
- Azari, A., Tavakoli, H., Barkdoll, B. D., & Haddad, O. (2020). Predictive model of algal biofuel production based on experimental data. Algal Research, 47, 101843.
Margaret Neff, Brian D. Barkdoll, Pipe enlargement to satisfy concentration-time product for in-system disinfection in a water distribution system ,Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development (2019) 9 (4): 601–607.
- Alizadeh Fard, M., Vosoogh, A., Barkdoll, B., and Aminzadeh, B. (2017). "Using polymer coated nanoparticles for adsorption of micropollutants from water." Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2017.08.008
- Kierys, D. and Barkdoll, B.D. (2017). “Sustainability-inspired composting latrine design.” Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development.
- Champagne, T.M., Barkdoll, B.D., and González-Castro, J.A. (2017). “Experimental Study of Scour Induced by Temporally-Oscillating Hydraulic Jump in a Stilling Basin.” J. Irrigation and Drainage Engineering.
- Bhattu, B., Barkdoll, B.D., and Breffle, W.S. (2017). “A Sustainability-Based Socio-Technical-Environmental Project Selection Algorithm.” Sustainable Water Resources Management.
- Champagne, T.M.; Barkdoll, B.D.; Gonzalez-Castro, J.A.; Deaton, L. (2016). "Scour reduction by air injection: Flow patterns and turbulence." Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, v 142, n 3,March 1, 2016.
- Barkdoll, B.D.; Murray, K.; Sherrin, A.; O'Neill, J.; Ghimire, S. R. (2016). "Effective-Power-Ranking Algorithm for Energy and Greenhouse Gas Reduction in Water Distribution Systems through Pipe Enhancement." Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, v 142, n 1, January 1, 2016.
- Pebler, P.T. and Barkdoll, B.D. (2016). "Sustainable sanitation, improved use of composting latrines through mixing and moisturizing: case study in Paraguay." Environment, Development, and Sustainability, DOI 10.1007/s10668-016-9780-0.
- Arnold, N., Archer, A., and Barkdoll, B.D. (2016). “Bacterial adaptation and performance of household biosand water filters in differing temperatures.” Water Science and Technology: Water Supply.
- Barkdoll, B., Kantor, C., Wesseldyke, E., and Ghimire, S. (2016). "Stormwater Low-Impact Development: A Call to Arms for Hydraulic Engineers." J. Hydraul. Eng. , 10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0001152 , 02516002
- Barlock, R., Barkdoll, B., and González-Castro, J. (2016). "Experimental Demonstration of a New Extension Plate Scour Countermeasure Downstream of Stilling Basins." J. Hydraul. Eng. , 10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0001183 , 06016013.
- Abbott, O’Neill, Barkdoll (2014) “Adaptive Greedy Heuristic Algorithm for Redundancy Augmentation by Loop Addition in Branched Water Distribution Systems.” ASCE J. Water Resources Planning Management, 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000480 , 06014005
- Anderson, M.J.; Barkdoll, B.D. "Incorporation of air emissions in dredging method selection." Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, v 136, n 4, p 191-199, July/August 2010.
2020. Klemm, S. M., Seagren, E. A., Becker, J. G., Mayer, A. S. Submitted Mass flux analysis of abiotic PCE DNAPL pool dissolution in a heterogeneous flow environment. Groundwater Monitoring & Remediation.
- 2019. Becker, J. G., Seagren, E. A. Published High-Tech Analysis of Low-Tech Methods for Sustainable Class A Biosolids Production: Phase 2, Long-Term Storage and Air Drying Pilot-Scale Studies at Portage Lake Water and Sewer Authority. Alexandria, VA: Water Research Foundation.
- 2019. Becker, J. G. Published The microbial ecology and bioremediation of chlorinated ethene-contaminated environments. In Deborah Jean O’Bannon (Ed.), Women in Water Quality, Investigations by Prominent Female Engineers. Springer International Publishing. https://www.springer.com/us/book/9783030178185. 10.1007/978-3-030-17819-2. (Book, Chapter in Scholarly Book-New)
Jason R. Blough
- L. Jia, J. D. Naber, and J. R. Blough, “Review of Sensing Methodologies for Estimation of Combustion Metrics,” Journal of Combustion, Mar 2016, Article No. 8593523, 9 pages, DOI:10.1155/2016/8593523 Read More
- L. B. Jia, J. D. Naber, and J. R. Blough, “Frequency Response Function Adaptation for Reconstruction of Combustion Signature in a 9-L Diesel Engine,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part C-Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Dec, 2015, Vol. 229, No. 17, pp. 3071-3083, DOI:10.1177/0954406215569256 Read More
- Jia, Libin, Blough, Jason R., Naber, Jeffrey D., Zekavat, Seyed A., 2014, "Accelerometer-Based Combustion Metrics Reconstruction With Radial Basis Function Neural Network for a 9 L Diesel Engine,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 13(3), March 1, 2014, Article No. 031507, 9 pages, DOI: 10.1115/1.4025886.
- Blough, Jason, Dilworth, B., 2010, "Realization of Ground Effects on Snowmobile Pass-by Noise Testing," SAE International Journal of Commercial Vehicles, Vol. 2. Read More
- Blough, Jason, Londhe, N., 2009, "Application of the ISO 13472-1 in Situ Technique for Measuring the Acoustic Absorption Coefficient of Grass and Artificial Turf Surfaces," Applied Acoustics, Vol. 70, Issue 1, pp. 129-141. Read More
- Blough, Jason, Anderson, Carl, Miers, Scott, Barna, Glen L., Koray Inal, M., 2008, "A Wireless Microwave Telemetry Data Transfer Technique for Reciprocating and Rotating Components," Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Volume 130, Issue 2, 025001, 9 pages.
- Blough, Jason, Anderson, Carl, Johnson, Mark, Robinette, Darrell L., Schweitzer, Jean, 2007, "Characterizing the Effect of Automotive Torque Converter Design Parameters on the Onset of Cavitation at Stall," SAE 2007 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars- Mechanical Systems, Document Number: 2007-01-2231.
- Blough, Jason, Rao, Mohan D., Ge, Tony, Johnson, David, Van Karsen, Jeffrey, 2007, "Estimation of Powertrain Inertia Properties via an In-situ Method," SAE 2007 Transactions- Journal of Passenger Cars Mechanical Systems, Document Number: 2007-01-2410.
- Blough, Jason, Dilworth, Brandon, 2007, “Implementation of the Time Variant Discrete Fourier Transform as a Real-Time Order Tracking Method,” SAE 2007 Transactions-Journal of Passenger Cars Mechanical Systems.
- Blough, J.R., Gwaltney, G. and Vizanko, J., “Quantifying How the Environment Effects SAE-J192 Pass-by Noise Testing of Snowmobiles,” Proceedings of the 2005 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, May 2005, Traverse City, MI. SAE Paper number: 05NVC-236.
- Kowalski, D., Blough, J.R., and Anderson, C., “Cavitation Detection in Automotive Torque Converters using Nearfield Acoustical Measurements,” SAE Noise & Vibration Conference and Exhibition, May 2005, Traverse City, MI, SAE paper number 2005-01-2516.
- Dhaliwal, A.S., Parker, G.G., and Blough, J.R., “Active Structural Acoustic Control of Road Noise in a Passenger Vehicle,” International Journal of Vehicle Autonomous Systems, Special Issue on Intelligent Vehicle Systems, Volume 2, Numbers 3 & 4, pp. 168-188, 2004.
- Blough J.R. “A Survey of DSP Methods for Rotating Machinery Analysis, What is Needed, What is Available,” Special Edition of Journal of Sound and Vibration from India-USA Symposium 2001—Emerging Trends in Vibration and Noise Engineering, Dec. 2001.
Leonard J. Bohmann
- Dana Johnson, Leonared Bohmann, Kris Mattila, Amlan Mukherjee, Nilufer Onder, John Sutherland, “Integrating a Multi‐Disciplinary Program Using Concept Mapping”, 20th annual Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society (POM 2009), May 1 – 4, 2009, Orlando, FL, paper 011‐0252, https://coba.georgiasouthern.edu/hanna/FullPapers/011‐0252.pdf
- Dana Johnson, Leonared Bohmann, Kris Mattila, Amlan Mukherjee, Nilufer Onder, John Sutherland, “Developing a Curriculum in Service Systems Engineering,” Accepted to the IIE Annual Conference and Expo 2009, Miami, FL, May 30 – June 3, 2009.
- Johnson, D.M., Graman, G.A., Bohmann, L.J., Mattila, K., Onder, N., and Sutherland, J.W., (May 2008). "Service Systems Engineering: New Course Development – Service Systems Operations," refereed paper published in proceedings 2008 POMS Conference, La Jolla, CA.
- James McCalley, Leonard Bohmann, Karen Mu, Noel Schulz, “Electric Power Engineering Education Resources 2005‐06, IEEE Power Engineering Society Committee Report, The Power Engineering Education Committee (PEEC) Task Force on Educational Resources” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 23, No.1, pp. 1‐24, February, 2008.
- Bohmann, L., Johnson, D. M., Mattila, K., Onder, N., Sutherland, J., “Update on Service Systems Engineering Curriculum - One Year Later”, Decision Sciences Institute 2007 Annual Meeting Phoenix, AZ.
- Electric Power Engineering Education Resources 2001-02, IEEE Power Engineering Society Committee Report, James McCalley, Leonard Bohmann, Karen Mu, Noel Schulz, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 18, No.4, pp. 1703-1722, November, 2004.
- LJ Bohmann, BA Mork, DO Wiitanen, "Power Engineering Design Projects: Capstone Team Projects versus Topical Design" IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, special section on Power Engineering Education, Volume: 19 , Issue: 1 , Feb. 2004 Pages:152 - 156.
William S. Breffle
- Miller, M.E., W.S. Breffle, M. Battaglia, D.B., P.R. Robichaud, W.J. Elliot, R. McClusky, I.S. Miller, M. Billmire. 2022. Socio-economic impact of the rapid response erosion database (RRED). Journal of Geoscience and Environment Protection 10(10):1-23.
- Vonsikeo, V., W.S. Breffle, J. Apriesnig, and B. Barkdoll. 2020. The economic value of carbon sequestration through tree planting in Laos. Asian Development Policy Review 8(2):102-111.
- Jin, Y., R.P. Donovan, and W.S. Breffle. 2019. Applying a Dynamic Model to Assess the Carrying Capacity of Natural Resources in the Great Lakes Environment, in Current Research in Education and Social Studies Volume 2 (R. Bag, ed.), Book Publisher International, London UK.
- Dillingham, R., W.S. Breffle, and M.C. Kelly. 2018. A latent-class discrete-choice model of demand for economics electives: A case study on the challenge to increase enrollment. Journal of Marketing for Higher Education. DOI: 10.1080/08841241.2018.1426673.
- Bhattu, B., B. D. Barkdoll, and W.S. Breffle. 2018. A sustainability-based socio-technical-environmental project selection. Sustainable Water Resources Management. 4(1):117-128.
- Jin, Y., R.P. Donovan, and W.S. Breffle. 2016. A dynamic model to assess the carrying capacity of a defined system. Journal of Sustainable Development 9(4):151-164.
- Breffle, W.S., M. Eiswerth, D. Muralidharan, and J. Thornton. 2015. Understanding how income influences willingness to pay for joint programs: A more equitable value measure for the less wealthy. Ecological Economics 109:17-25.
- Wright, S., D. Muralidharan, A. Mayer, and W.S. Breffle. 2014. Using contingent valuation to estimate the willingness to pay for improved water supplies in rural Ugandan villages. Journal of Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene for Development 4(3):490-498.
- Breffle, W.S., D. Muralidharan, R.P. Donovan, F. Liu, A. Mukherjee, and Y. Jin. 2013. Socioeconomic evaluation of the impact of natural resource stressors on human-use services in the Great Lakes Environment: A Lake Michigan case study. Resources Policy 38:152-162.
- Chestnut, L.C., R.D. Rowe, and W.S. Breffle. 2012. Economic valuation of mortality-risk reduction: stated preference estimates from the U.S. and Canada. Contemporary Economic Policy 30(3):399-416.
- Breffle W.S., E.R. Morey, and J.A. Thacher. 2011. A joint latent-class model: combining Likert-scale preference statements with choice data to harvest preference heterogeneity. Environmental and Resource Economics 50:83-110.
- Breffle, W. S. 2009. In pursuit of the optimal design: a guide for choice experiment practitioners. International Journal of Ecological Economics and Statistics 14(S09):3-14.
- Breffle, W. S., Maroney, K. K. 2009. The restoration of fishing services and the conveyance of risk information in the southern California bight. Marine Policy 33:561-570.
- Morey, E.R., W.S. Breffle, and P.A. Greene. 2008. Two Nested Constant-Elasticity-of-Substitution Models of Recreational Participation and Site Choice: An “Alternatives” Model and an “Expenditures” Model, in Revealed Preference Approaches to Environmental Valuation Volume I (J. Herriges and C. Kling, eds.), International Library of Environmental Economics and Policy, Ashgate Publishing Limited, U.K.
Laura E. Brown
- J. Hiebel, L.E. Brown, Z. Wang, "Machine Learning for Fine-Grained Hardware Prefetcher Control" in Proceedings of the 48th International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP), Aug. 2019.
- J. Liu, L.E. Brown, "Effect of Forecast Accuracy on Day Ahead Prediction of Five Coincident Peak Days", in Proceedings of 2019 IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Asia (ISGT Asia), May 2019.
- Z. Song, L.E. Brown, "Multi-dimensional Evaluation of Temporal Neural Networks on Solar Irradiance Forecasting”, in Proceedings of 2019 IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Asia (ISGT Asia), May 2019.
- J. Liu, L.E. Brown, "Prediction of Hour of Coincident Daily Peak Load” in Proceedings of 2019 IEEE Power Energy Society Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference (ISGT NA), Feb. 2019.
- J. Hiebel, L.E. Brown, Z. Wang, "Constructing Dynamic Policies for Paging Mode Selection” in Proceedings of the 47th International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP), Aug. 2018.
- L.E. Brown, A. Feltz, C. Wallace, "Lab Exercises for a Discrete Structures Course: Exploring Logic and Relational Algebra with Alloy”, in Proceedings of 23rd Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE), July 2018.
- Y. Tang, C.-W. Ten, L.E. Brown, "Switching reconfiguration of fraud detection within an electrical distribution network”, in Proceedings of Resilience Week (RWS), Sept. 2017.
- A complete listing of publications is available on my web-page Read More
Gary A. Campbell
- Campbell, G. A. (2019). The Cobalt Market Revisited. Mineral Economics, 33(1), 21–28. https://doi.org/doi.org/10.1007/s13563-019-00173-8
- Al Rawashdeh, R., Campbell, G., & Al Titi, A. (2016). The Socio-Economic Impacts of Mining on Local Communities: The Case of Jordan. The Extractive Industries and Society, 3(2), 494–507.
- Campbell, G. A. (2014). Linda Wärell, "Rare Earth Metals: A Strategic Concern" in Mineral Economics (vol. 27, 1 #, pp. 21-31) , Springer.
- Campbell, G. A., Roberts, M. C. (2010). Philip Maxwell (Ed.), "Permitting a New Mine: Insights from the Community Debate," Resources Policy (vol. 35, # 3, pp. 210-217) . Amsterdam: Elsevier. Read More
- Campbell, G. A., Walck, C. L., Hartingh, A. (2010). "Conflict over the Sustainability of Copper Mining: Experiences from MI and WI," Proceedings-Copper 2010 (1, pp. 351-364) . Hamburg: GDMB.
- Campbell, G. A., Walck, C. L. (2008). "The Debate over the Impact of Mining on the Environment and Sustainability in the Local Community," (ed., pp. 1-6). Littleton, Colorado: Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration.
- Campbell, G. A. (2008). Robert F. Gormon (Ed.), April 5, 1979: Carter Orders Deregulation of Oil Prices, (pp. 1122-1124). Pasadena, CA: Great Events from History: The Twentieth Century, 1971-2000/Salem Press.
- Hutchins, M. J., Walck, C. L., Sterk, D. P., Campbell, G. A. (2007). Walck, C. L. (Ed.), "Corporate Social Responsibility - A Unifying Discourse for the Mining Industry," (52nd ed., pp. 17-30). Greener Management International: The Journal of Corporate Environmental Management and Strategy.
- Blake, A., Campbell, G. A. (2007). Campbell, G. A., Brown, E. D. (Ed.), "Conflict over flying fish: The dispute between Trinidad and Tobago and Barbados," (3rd ed., vol. 31, pp. pp. 327-335). Elsevier: Marine Policy.
- Campbell, G. A. (2007). Spooner, J., e. (Ed.), "Macro trends in Copper Consumption," (vol. I, pp. 487-500). Montreal, Quebec/MetSoc: Proceedings of the Sixth International Copper-Cobre Conference.
- Campbell, G. A. (2007). Gorman, R. F. (Ed.), "Oil is discovered in Nigeria," (pp. 1629-1631). Pasadena, CA: Great Events from History: The Twentieth Century, 1941-1970.
- Campbell, G. A. (2007). Campbell, G. A., Gorman, R. (Ed.), "Commercial Quantities of Oil Discovered in Saudi Arabia," (pp. 3096-3098). Pasadena, CA: Great Events from History: The Twentieth Century, 1901-1940/Salem Press.
Angie Carter (she/her)
- Carter, Angie. 2021. Tributaries: On Thinking Downstream. Compelling Ground: Landscapes, Environments, and Peoples of Iowa. Iowa State University Brunnier Art Museum.
- 2021. Policy innovation lab scholarship: past, present, and the future Introduction to the special issue on policy innovation labs. Policy Design and Practice
- Basche, A. and A. Carter. 2021. Training future agricultural professionals in landowner-tenant conservation decision-making. Natural Sciences Education 50(1) https://doi.org/10.1002/nse2.20035
- Burkett, E. and A. Carter. 2020. "It's Not about the Fish: Women's Experiences in a Gendered Recreation Landscape. Leisure Sciences: An Interdisciplinary Journal. DOI: 10.1080/01490400.2020.1780522
- Carter, A. 2020. Women’s farm organizations in the United States: Protecting and transforming agricultural power. Routledge Handbook of Gender and Agriculture, 275-286. http://doi.org/10.4324/9780429199752-25
- Carter, A. and A. Lazaro Lopez. 2019. "Rebranding the Farmer: Formula Story Revision and Masculine Symbolic Boundaries in US Agriculture." Feminist Formations 31:3: 25-50. DOI: 10.1353/ff.2019.0029
- Carter, A. and A. Kruzic. 2019. "'No Soil in Our Oil!": Shifting Narratives from Commodities to the Commons." in Social Movements Contesting Natural Development. John Devlin, Ed. New York: Routledge.
- Carter, A. 2019. "We Don't Equal Even Just One Man": Gender and Social Control in Conservation Adoption." Society & Natural Resources 32(8): 893-910. DOI: 10.1080/08941920.2019.1584657
- Carter, A., B. Wells, and A. Kruzic. 2019. "Social Justice, Corporate Influence, and Development: Defending the Public Interest at a State University." Theory in Action 12(1): 54-85. DOI:10.3798/tia.1937-0237.1902
- Carter, A., C. Chennault, and A. Kruzic. 2018. "Public Action for Public Science: Re-Imagining the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture." Capitalism Nature Socialism 29(1): 69-88. DOI:10.1080/10455752.2017.1423364
- Carter, A. and A. Kruzic. 2017. "Centering the Commons, Creating Space for the Collective: Ecofeminist #NoDAPL Praxis in Iowa." Journal of Social Justice 7:2-22. ISSN: 2064-7100.
- Carter, A. 2017. "Placeholders and Changemakers: Women Farmland Owners Navigating Gendered Expectations." Rural Sociology 82(3): 499-523. DOI:10.1111/ruso.12131
- Carter, A. 2017. "Changes on the Land: Gender and Power of Social Networks." Pp. 76-93 in Land Justice: Re-Imagining Land, Food and the Commons in the United States. Eric Holt-Gimenez and Justine Williams, eds. Oakland: Food First.
- Carter, A., B. Wells, J. Soulis, and A. Hand. 2016. "Building Power Through Community: Women Creating and Theorizing Change." Pp. 225-239 in Women in Agriculture Worldwide: Key Issues and Practical Approaches. Amber J. Fletcher and Wendee Kubik, eds. New York: Routledge.
- Carter, A., C. M. Prado-Meza, J. Soulis, and D. Thompson Bello. 2014. "Students Creating Curriculum Change: Sustainable Agriculture and Social Justice." Journal of Critical Thought and Praxis 3(1):article 5. DOI:10.31274/jctp-180810-27.
- Paulsen, T., Deering, C., Sliwinski, J., Chatterjee, S., Bachmann, O. and Guillong, M. (2020), Crustal thickness, rift‐drift, and potential links to key global events. Terra Nova. doi:10.1111/ter.12485
- Palei, S., Das, K., Chatterjee, S. (2020) Reliability-Centered Maintenance of Rapier Dragline for Optimizing Replacement Interval of Dragline Components. Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42461-020-00226-5.
- Yadav, A., Chatterjee, S., Equeenuddin, S. M. (2020). Suspended sediment yield modeling in Mahanadi River, India by multi-objective optimization hybridizing artificial intelligence algorithms. International Journal of Sediment Research, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsrc.2020.03.018.
- Paithankar, A., Chatterjee, S., Goodfellow, R., Asad, M. W. A. (2020). Simultaneous stochastic optimization of production sequence and dynamic cut-off grades in an open pit mining operation. Resources Policy, 66, 101634.
- Jeng, J. Y., Askari, R., Chatterjee, S. (2020). Correlation of near surface fractures with seismic radial anisotropy: An approach for near surface fracture identification. Journal of Applied Geophysics, 173, 103925.
- Guha, A., Mondal, S., Chatterjee, S., Kumar, K. V. (2020). Airborne imaging spectroscopy of igneous layered complex and their mapping using different spectral enhancement conjugated support vector machine models. Geocarto International, 1-17.
- Kring, K., Chatterjee, S. (2020) Uncertainty quantification of structural and geotechnical parameter by geostatistical simulations applied to a stability analysis case study with limited exploration data, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 125, 104157, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2019.104157.
- Kumar, C., Chatterjee, S., Oommen, T., Guha, A. (2020) Automated lithological mapping by integrating spectral enhancement techniques and machine learning algorithms using AVIRIS-NG hyperspectral data in Gold-bearing granite-greenstone rocks in Hutti, India, International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 86, 102006, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2019.102006.
- Kumar, C., Chatterjee, S., Oommen, T. (2020). Mapping hydrothermal alteration minerals using high-resolution AVIRIS-NG hyperspectral data in the Hutti-Maski gold deposit area, India. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 41(2): 794-812.
- Han, F., Zhang, H., Chatterjee, S., Guo, Q., Wan, S. (2019) A Modified Generative Adversarial Nets Integrated With Stochastic Approach for Realizing Super-Resolution Reservoir Simulation, IEEE Trans. on Geos. and Remote Sensing. DOI: 10.1109/TGRS.2019.2945946
- Mondal, S., Guha, A., Pal, S. K., Porwal, A., Chatterjee, S., Rani, K., Beiranvand Pour, A., Vinod Kumar, K. (2019) Conjugate utilization of Landsat-8 OLI, ground gravity and magnetic data for targeting mafic cumulates within anorthositic-layered complex of Sittampundi, India. Geocarto International, 1--18. DOI: 10.1080/10106049.2019.1669726.
- Chatterjee, S., Deering, C. D., Waite, G. P., Prandi, C., Lin, P. (2019). An adaptive sampling strategy developed for studies of diffuse volcanic soil gas emissions. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 381, 246-261.
- Paithankar, A., Chatterjee, S. (2019). Open pit mine production schedule optimization using a hybrid of maximum-flow and genetic algorithms. Applied Soft Computing, 81, 105507.
- Chatterjee, S., Dimitrakopoulos, R. (2019). Production scheduling under uncertainty of an open-pit mine using Lagrangian relaxation and branch-and-cut algorithm. International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment, 1-19.
- Patel AK, Chatterjee S, Gorai AK. (2019) Effect on the performance of a Support Vector Machine (SVM)-based machine vision system with dry and wet ore sample images in classification and grade Prediction, Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis, 29 (1): 114– 129.
- Guha, A., Yamaguchi, Y., Chatterjee, S., Rani, K., & Vinod Kumar, K. (2019). Emittance Spectroscopy and Broadband Thermal Remote Sensing Applied to Phosphorite and Its Utility in Geoexploration: A Study in the Parts of Rajasthan, India. Remote Sensing, 11(9), 1003.
- Patel, AK., Chatterjee, S., Gorai, AK. (2019) Development of a machine vision system using the support vector machine regression (SVR) algorithm for the online prediction of iron ore grades, Earth Science Informatics, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12145-018-0370-6
- Bhattacharya, S., Kumar, H., Guha, A., Dagar, A.K., Pathak, S., Rani, K., Mondal, S., Kumar, K.V., Farrand, W., Chatterjee, S., Ravi, S. (2019) Potential of airborne hyperspectral data for geo-exploration over parts of different geological/metallogenic provinces in India based on AVIRIS-NG observations. Current Science, 116 (7),1143-1156.
- Paithankar, A., Chatterjee, S. (2018) Grade and Tonnage Uncertainty Analysis of an African Copper Deposit Using Multiple-Point Geostatistics and Sequential Gaussian Simulation, Natural Resources Research, 27(4):419-436.
- Paithankar, A., Chatterjee, S. (2018) Forecasting time-to-failure of machine using hybrid Neuro-genetic algorithm–a case study in mining machinery,International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment, 32 (3), 182-195
- Yadav, A., Chatterjee, S., Equeenuddin, SM. (2018) Suspended sediment yield estimation using genetic algorithm-based artificial intelligence models: case study of Mahanadi River, India, Hydrological Sciences Journal, , 63(8): 1162-1182
- Patel, AK., Chatterjee, S., Gorai, AK. (2018) Development of an expert system for iron ore classification, Arabian Journal of Geosciences 11: 401.
- Yadav, A., Chatterjee, S., Equeenuddin, SM. (2018) Prediction of suspended sediment yield by artificial neural network and traditional mathematical model in Mahanadi river basin, India, Sustainable Water Resources Management 4 (4), 745-759
- Patel, AK., Chatterjee, S., Gorai, AK. (2017) Development of machine vision-based ore classification model using support vector machine (SVM) algorithm, Arabian Journal of Geosciences 10 (5), 107, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-017-2909-0
- Kumar, A., Chatterjee, S. (2017) Open-pit coal mine production sequencing incorporating grade blending and stockpiling options: An application from an Indian mine, Engineering Optimization, 49 (5), 762-776
- Chatterjee S, Sethi M, and Asad, MWA. (2016) Production phase and ultimate pit limit design under commodity price uncertainty, European Journal of Operational Research 248(2): 658â€“667. doi:10.1016/j.ejor.2015.07.012
- Karak S, Chatterjee S, Bandopadhyay S, (2015) Mathematical Modelling of the Physical and Mechanical Properties of Nano-Y2O3 Dispersed Ferritic Alloys using Evolutionary Algorithm-based Neural Network, Powder Technology 274: 217-226.
- Chatterjee S, Mohanty MM (2015) Automatic cluster selection using gap statistics for pattern-based multi-point geostatistical simulation, Arabian Journal of Geosciences 8(9):7691-7704
- Patel A. K, Chatterjee S, (2015) Computer vision-based limestone rock-type classification using probabilistic neural network, Geoscience Frontiers. doi:10.1016/j.gsf.2014.10.005
- Chatterjee S, Dimitrakopoulos R, and Mustafa H. (2015) Fast wavelet-based conditional simulation using training images. Computational Geosciences. doi: 10.1007/s10596-015-9482-y
- Chatterjee S, Dash A, Bandopadhyay S, (2014) Ensemble Support Vector Machine Algorithm for Reliability Estimation of a Mining Machine, Quality and Reliability Engineering International (DOI: 10.1002/qre.1686)
- Mustafa, H., Chatterjee, S., and Dimitrakopoulos, R., (2014) CDFSIM: Efficient Stochastic Simulation Through Decomposition of Cumulative Distribution Functions of Transformed Spatial Patterns, Mathematical Geosciences, 46 (1): 95-123
Rodney A. Chimner
- Line Rochefort, Maria Strack, Rodney Chimner. Regional Assessment for North America. UNEP Global Peatlands Assessment – The State of the World’s Peatlands: Evidence for action toward the conservation, restoration, and sustainable management of peatlands. Main Report. 2022. Global Peatlands Initiative. United Nations Environment Programme, Nairobi.
- Chimner, R.A.Sidebar 7.2: Cedar Swamp Restoration in Storm, L., and L.S. Kenefic. Northern White-Cedar: The Tree of Life. Michigan State University Press, 2022. https://doi.org/10.14321/j.ctv2m2fv73.
- Chimner, R. S. Resh, J. A. Hribljan, M. Battaglia, L. Bourgeau-Chavez, G. Bowser, E. A. Lilleskov. Mountain Wetland Soil Carbon Stocks of Huascarán National Park, Peru. Submitted to Frontiers in Plant Science.
- Rahay, S. Tata H.L., H.S. Nuroniah, D.A. Ahsania, H. Anggunira, S.N. Hidayati, M. Pratama, Istomo, A. Chimner, M. van Noordwijk, R. Kolka. Tree species distribution in naturally regenerated peatland canal blocking sites of the Sebangau River, Sebangau National Park, Central Kalimantan. In revision at Mires and Peat.
- Uhelshiki D. *, E. Kane, R.A. Chimner, K. Heckman, J. Miesel, L. Xie. 2022. Infrared Spectroscopy Estimates Pyrogenic Carbon Content of Peat Soils. Mires and Peat. 28, Article 30, 22 pp
- Stuart, J.E.M, C.L. Tucker, E.A. Lilleskov, R. K. Kolka, A. Chimner, K. A. Heckman, and E. S. Kane. 2022. Evidence for older carbon loss and changing decomposition regimes with low water tables in peatlands. Global Change Biology.
Laura E. Connolly
- Connolly, L. E., Connolly, J., & Yang, K. (working paper). Is There a Glass Cliff in Municipal Management? Examining the Hiring and Departure of Female City Managers.
- Brummund, P., & Connolly, L. E. (working paper). Labor Market Dynamics and Trade with China: The Case of Brazil.
- Brummund, P., & Connolly, L. E. (2019). Who Creates Stable Jobs? Evidence from Brazil. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 81(3), 540–563. https://doi.org/10.1111/obes.12273
- Connolly, L. E., & Sheehan, A. (2018). Evaluating the Impact of the Labor Market Conditions Index on Labor Market Forecasts. Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics and Econometrics, 22(1). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1515/snde-2016-0102
- Warke, M., Sarkar, D., Zhang, Z., Neve, S., Datta, R. 2023. Human health risk mitigation from arsenic in rice by crop rotation with a hyperaccumulator plant. Environ Sci Pollut Res 30, 12030–12040. Read more
- Saleh, H., Persaud, V., Datta, R., Sarkar, D. 2022. Assessment of geochemical forms of lead in lead-contaminated residential soils with varying physio-chemical characteristics. Read more
- Neve, S.; Sarkar, D.; Datta, R. 2022. Effects of Pyrolysis Temperature and Residence Time on Physicochemical Properties of Biochar Derived from Spent Vetiver Roots. In Proceedings of the ASA, CSSA, SSSA International Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, USA. Read more
- Warke M*, English M*, De Marchi L*, Sarkar RD*, Kannan S, Datta R, Rao s (2022) In-vitro cell culture model to determine toxic effects of soil Arsenic due to direct dermal exposure, Environ. Innov., 28: 102949. Read more
- Warke M*, Sarkar D, Zhang Z, Neve S*, Datta R (2022) Human health risk mitigation from arsenic in rice by crop rotation with a hyperaccumulator plant. Environ Sci Pollut Res. 30, 12030-12040. Read more
- Na Nagara V*, Sarkar D, Luo Q, Biswas JK, Datta R (2022) Health Risk Assessment of Exposure to Trace Elements from Drinking Black and Green Tea Marketed in Three Countries. Biol Trace Elem Res 200, 2970–2982. Read more
- Zhang Z, Sarkar D, Sidhu V, Warke M, Datta R (2022) Impact of EDDS Dosage on Lead Phytoextraction in Contaminated Urban Residential Soils. Front Sustain Cities 146. Read more
- Na Nagara V*, Sarkar D, Elzinga EJ, Datta R (2022) Removal of heavy metals from stormwater runoff using granulated drinking water treatment residuals. Environ Technol & Innov 28, 102636. Read more
- Sarkar RD*, Zhang Z, Warke M*, Datta R (2022) Health Risk from Toxic Metals in Wild Rice Grown in Copper Mining-Impacted Sediments. Applied Sciences 12(6): 2937. Read more
- Zhang Z, Sarkar D, Datta R, Deng Y (2021) Adsorption of Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA) and Perfluorooctanesulfonic Acid (PFOS) by Aluminum-based Drinking Water Treatment Residuals. Hazard, Mater. Lett, 100034. Read more
- Roy S, Sarkar D, Datta R, Bhattacharya SS, Bhattacharya P (2021) Assessing the arsenic-saturated biochar recycling potential of vermitechnology: Insights on nutrient recovery, metal benignity, and microbial activity. Chemosphere, 131660. Read more
- Kiiskila J, Sarkar D, Datta R (2021) Differential protein abundance of vetiver grass in response to acid mine drainage. Physiol Plant. Read more
- RoyChowdhury A, Mukherjee P*, Panja S*, Datta R, Christodoulatos C, Sarkar D (2021) Evidence for Phytoremediation and Phytoexcretion of NTO from Industrial Wastewater by Vetiver Grass. Molecules 2021, 26, 74. Read more
- Kiiskila JD*, Li K*, Sarkar D, Datta R (2020) Metabolic response of vetiver grass (Chrysopogon zizanioides) to acid mine drainage. Chemosphere 240: 124961. Read more
- Kiiskila, J.D., Sarkar, D., Panja, S., Sahi, S.V., Datta, R. (2019) Remediation of acid mine drainage-impacted water by vetiver grass (Chrysopogon zizanioides): A multiscale long-term study. Ecol. Engineer. 129: 97-108. Read more
- Pidatala, V.R., Li, K., Sarkar, D., Wusirika, R., Datta, R. (2017) Comparative metabolic profiling of vetiver (Chrysopogon zizanioides) and maize (Zea mays) under Lead stress. Chemosphere 193: 903-911. Read more
- Datta, R., Das, P., Tappero, R., Punamiya, P., Elzinga, E., Sahi, S., Feng, H., Kiiskila, J., Sarkar, D. (2017) Evidence for exocellular arsenic in fronds of Pteris vittata. Nature Scientific Reports 7: 2839. Read more
- Attinti R, Barrett KR, Datta R, Sarkar D (2017) Ethylenediaminedisuccinic acid (EDDS) enhances phytoextraction of lead by vetiver grass from contaminated residential soils in a panel study in the field. Environ. Pollut. 225: 524-533. Read more
Carolyn A. Duncan
- Komisar, V., McIlroy, W. E., Duncan. C. A. (2019). A review of balance recovery in occupational environments: Insights to improve current practices and future research endeavors for preventing falls. IISE Transactions on Occupational Ergonomics and Human Factors, 7(2).
- Duncan, C. A., MacKinnon, S. N., Marais, J., Basset, F. (2018) Energy cost associated with moving platforms. PeerJ, 6, e5439.
- Duncan, C. A., Ingram, T. G., Mansfield, A., McIlroy, W. E., & Byrne, J. M. (2018). Differences in lower limb muscle activation and centre of pressure movement between expert workers and novices in simulated maritime environments. IISE Transactions on Occupational Ergonomics and Human Factors, 6(1), 21-31.
- Duncan, C. A., Hickey, C. J., & Byrne, J. M. (2018). The effects of a moving environment on postural control and task performance during manual materials handling, visual tracking and arithmetic tasks. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 66, 221-229.
- Schinkel-Ivy, A., Duncan, C. A. (2018). The effects of short-term and long-term experiences on co-contraction of lower extremity postural control muscles during continual support-surface perturbations. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 39, 42-48.
2022. Dyreson, A. R., Devineni, N., Turner, S., DeSilva, T., Miara, A., Voisin, N., Cohen, S., Macknick, J., The Role of Regional Connections in Planning for Future Power System Operations under Climate Extremes. Earth's Future. Wiley / American Geophysical Union. https://doi.org/10.1029/
2022. Cohen, S., Dyreson, A. R., Turner, S., Tidwell, V., Voisin, N., Miara, A., A multi-model framework for assessing long- and short-term climate influences on the electric grid. Applied Energy. Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
2022. Reed, P., Hadjimichael, A., Moss, R., Brelsford, C., Burleyson, C., Cohen, S., Dyreson, A. R., Gold, D., Gupta, R., Keller, K., M., Monier, E., Morris, J., Srikrishnan, V., Voisin, N., Yoon, J., Multisector Dynamics: Advancing the Science of Complex Adaptive Human-Earth Systems. Earth's Future. American Geophysical Union. http://doi.org/10.1029/
2021. Turner, S. W., Nelson, K., Voisin, N., Tidwell, V., Miara, A., Dyreson, A. R., Cohen, S., Mantena, D., Jin, J., Warnken, P., others, A multi-reservoir model for projecting drought impacts on thermoelectric disruption risk across the Texas power grid. Energy 231, 120892. Elsevier.
2020. Voisin, N., Dyreson, A. R., Fu, T., O'Connell, M., Turner, S. W., Zhou, T., Macknick, J., Impact of climate change on water availability and its propagation through the Western US power grid. Applied Energy 276, 115467. Elsevier.
2017. Dyreson, A. R., Klein, S., Miller, F. K., Modeling Radiative-Convective Panels for Nighttime Passive Cooling Applications. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 139(5). American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection.
2016. Monger, S. H., Morgan, E. R., Dyreson, A. R., Acker, T. L., Applying the kriging method to predicting irradiance variability at a potential PV power plant. Renewable Energy 86, 602--610. Elsevier.
2016. Dyreson, A. R., Miller, F., Night sky cooling for concentrating solar power plants. Applied Energy 180, 276--286. Elsevier.
2014. Dyreson, A. R., Morgan, E. R., Monger, S. H., Acker, T. L., Modeling solar irradiance smoothing for large PV power plants using a 45-sensor network and the Wavelet Variability Model. Solar Energy 110, 482--495. Elsevier.
John S. Gierke, PE
- *Fuchs, V.J., J.R. Mihelcic, and J.S. Gierke, “Life cycle assessment of vertical and horizontal flow constructed wetlands for wastewater treatment considering greenhouse gas emissions,” Water Research, Accepted Pending Revisions, revisions submitted 17 December 2010.
- *Fuchs, V.J., J.S. Gierke, and J.R. Mihelcic, “Laboratory investigation of ammonium and nitrate removal in vertical flow regimes in planted and unplanted wetland columns,” Journal of Environmental Engineering, in review, submitted 20 September 2010.
- *Bruning, J.N., J.S. Gierke, and A.L. Maclean, “Identifying Lineaments for Groundwater Exploration using Remotely Sensed Imagery,” Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, accepted for publication 22 December 2010.
- McCray, J.E., G.R. Tick, J.W. Jawitz, M.L. Brusseau, J.S. Gierke, R.W. Falta, R.C. Knox, D.A. Sabatini, J. Harwell, M.D. Annable, A.L. Wood, C.G. Enfield, “Remediation of NAPL Source-Zones: Lessons Learned from Legacy Field Studies,” Ground Water, in press.
- *Bachmann LeFevre, N-J., D.J. Watkins, Jr., J.S. Gierke, and J. Brophy-Price “Hydrologic Performance Monitoring of an Underdrained Low-Impact-Development Stormwater Management System,” Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 136(5), 289-353, 2010.
- *Hutchins, M. J., J. S. Gierke, and J. W. Sutherland, “Decision Making for Social Sustainability: A Life-Cycle Assessment Approach,” (Refereed) Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE International Symposium on Sustainable Systems & Technology (ISSST) and 2009 IEEE International Symposium on Technology and Society (ISTAS), May 18 – 20, 2009, Tempe, AZ, on CD-ROM.
- *Huntzinger, D.N., J.S. Gierke, L.L. Sutter, S.K. Kawatra, and T.C. Eisele, “Mineral Carbonation for Carbon Sequestration in Cement Kiln Dust from Waste Piles,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, in press. doi:10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.01.122
Hugh S. Gorman
- Valoree S. Gagnon, Hugh S. Gorman, and Emma S. Norman, “Power and Politics in Research Design and Practice: Opening Space for Social Equity in Interdisciplinary, Multi-Jurisdictional, and Community-Based Research,” Gateways: Journal of Community Research and Engagement (forthcoming 2017).
- Hugh S. Gorman, “The Role of Businesses in Constructing Systems of Environmental Governance,” in Green Capitalism? Business and the Environment in the Twentieth Century, ed. Hartmut Berghoff and Adam Rome (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2017), 33-50.
- Hugh S. Gorman, Valoree S. Gagnon, and Emma S. Norman, “Local Impacts, Global Sources: The Governance of Boundary-Crossing Chemicals,” History of Science 54 (2016): 443-459.
- Hugh S. Gorman, “Thinking in Cycles: Flows of Nitrogen and Sustainable Uses of the Environment” in Managing the Unknown, ed. Frank Uekotter and Uwe Lübken (New York: Berghahn, 2014), 32-52.
- Hugh S. Gorman, “Learning from 100 Years of Ammonia Synthesis: Establishing Human-Defined Limits through Adaptive Systems of Governance,” GAiA: Ecological Perspectives for Science and Society 22 (2013): 263-270.
Michael R. Gretz
- Domozych, D.S.,. Lambiasse, L., Kiemle, S.N.. and Gretz, M.R. 2009. Structure and biochemistry of charophycean cell walls. II. Cell wall development and bipolar growth in the desmid Penium margaritaceum. Asymmetry in a symmetric world. Journal of Phycology (in press)
- Bellinger, B.J., Underwood, G.J.C., Ziegler, S.E. and Gretz, M.R. 2009. The significance of diatom-derived polymers in carbon flow dynamics within estuarine biofilms determined through isotopic enrichment. Aquatic Microbial Ecology (in press).
- Domozych, D.S., Serfis, A., Kiemle, S. and Gretz, M.R. 2007. The structure and biochemistry of charophycean cell walls. I. Pectins of Penium margaritaceum. Protoplasma 230:99-115.
- Kiemle, S.N., Domozych, D.S. and Gretz, M.R. 2007. The exopolymers of desmids: Chemistry, structural analysis and implications in wetland biofilms. Phycologia 46:617-627.
- Domozych, D.S., Elliot, L, Kiemle, S.N. and Gretz, M.R. 2007. Pleurotaenium trabecula, a desmid of wetland biofilms: The extracellular matrix and adhesion mechanisms. Journal of Phycology 43:1022-1038.
- Abdullahi, A.S., Underwood, G.J.C., and Gretz, M.R. 2006. Extracellular matrix assembly in diatoms (Bacillariophyceae). V. Environmental effects on polysaccharide synthesis in the model diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum. Journal of Phycology 42:363-378.
- Apoya, M.D., Liang, Y., Underwood, G.J.C. and Gretz, M.R. 2006. Movement modalities and responses to environmental changes of the mudflat diatom Cylindrotheca closterium. Journal of Phycology 42:379-390.
- Jiehong Guo, Stephen S. Hecht. DNA damage in human oral cells induced by use of e-cigarettes. Drug Testing and Analysis, 2022; 1- 9. doi:10.1002/dta.3375
- Jiehong Guo, Joshua Ikuemonisan, Dorothy K. Hatsukami, Stephen S. Hecht. Liquid chromatography-nanoelectrospray ionization-high resolution tandem mass spectrometry analysis of apurinic/apyrimidinic sites in oral cell DNA of cigarette smokers, e-cigarette users and nonsmokers. Chemical Research in Toxicology, 34 (12), 2540-2548, 2021.
- Jiehong Guo, Haoqing Chen, Pramod Upadhyaya, Yingchun Zhao, Robert J. Turesky, Stephen S. Hecht. Mass spectrometric quantitation of apurinic/apyrimidinic sites in tissue DNA of rats exposed to tobacco-specific nitrosamines and in lung and leukocyte DNA of cigarette smokers and nonsmokers. Chemical Research in Toxicology, 33 (9), 2475–2486, 2020.
- Jiehong Guo, Zhuona Li, Prabha Ranasinghe, Karl J. Rockne, Neil C. Sturchio, John P. Giesy, An Li. Halogenated flame retardants in sediments from the Upper Laurentian Great Lakes: Implications to long-range transport and evidence of long-term transformation. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 384, 121346, 2020.
- Jiehong Guo, William Stubbings, Kevin Romanak, Linh V. Nguyen, Liisa Jantunen, Lisa Melymuk, Victoria Arrandale, Miriam L. Diamond and Marta Venier. An Alternative Flame Retardant, 2,4,6-Tris(2,4,6-tribromophenoxy)-1,3,5-triazine (TTBP-TAZ), in an E-waste Recycling Facility and House Dust in North America, Environmental Science and Technology, 52 (6), 3599-3607, 2018.
Jeffery Pereira Hollingsworth
- Conference presentation at the Alaska Surveying and Mapping Conference (ASMC) 2013, Anchorage, Alaska "Integration of Terrestrial Based LiDAR into a Geographic Information System."
- Conference presentation at the Alaska Surveying and Mapping Conference (ASMC) 2013, Anchorage, Alaska "ALTA/ACSM LAND TITLE SURVEYS -Addressing the Purpose."
- Conference Presentation at Alaska Surveying and Mapping Conference (ASMC) 2015, Anchorage, "Alaska Geomatics Education – Sustain or Transform?"
Casey J Huckins
- Brian M. Danhoff, Casey J Huckins. 2022. Associations between large wood and streambed complexity in headwater streams in the western Upper Peninsula, Michigan, Geomorphology, Volume 406. Read more
- Bouma-Gregson, K.; Power, M.E.; Furey, P.C.; Huckins, C.J.; Vadeboncoeur, Y. 2021. Taxon-specific photosynthetic responses of attached algal assemblages to experimental translocation between river habitats. Freshw. Sci. 40, 175–190. Read more
- Brooks, C., Marcarelli, A., Huckins, C., & Grimm, A. 2021. Water chemistry and aquatic vegetation data from Les Cheneaux Islands, Northern Lake Huron, Michigan, USA, 2016-2018.
- Van Goethem*, RR; Huckins, CJ; Marcarelli, AM. 2020. "Effects of Invasive Watermilfoil on Primary Production in Littoral Zones of North-Temperate Lakes." Diversity 12, no. 2: 82.
- Danhoff*, BM., and Huckins CJ. 2020. Modelling submerged fluvial substrates with structure-from-motion photogrammetry. River Research and Applications 36:128-137.
- Ortiz* JE, Marcarelli AM, Juneau KJ, Huckins CJ. 2019. Invasive Myriophyllum spicatum and nutrients interact to influence algal assemblages. Aquatic Botany 156:1-9. Read more (Great Lakes Research Center Contribution no. 52).
- Marcarelli AM, Coble AA, Meingast KM, Kane ES, Brooks CN, Buffam I, Green SA, Huckins CJ, Toczydlowski D, Stottlemyer R. Early View (2019). Of small streams and Great Lakes: Integrating tributaries to understand the ecology and biogeochemistry of Lake Superior. Journal of the American Water Resources Association. Read more.
- Goble*, CW., Auer, NA., Huckins, CJ, Danhoff*, BM., Holtgren, JM. and Ogren, SA. 2018. Fish Distributions and Habitat Associations in Manistee River, Michigan, Tributaries: Implications for Arctic Grayling Restoration. North Am J Fish Manage, 38: 469-486. doi:10.1002/nafm.10049.
- Danhoff*, BM., CJ Huckins, NA. Auer, CW. Goble, SA. Ogren, and JM. Holtgren. 2017. Abiotic Habitat Assessment for Arctic Grayling in a Portion of the Big Manistee River, Michigan. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 146:645-662.
- Coble AA*, Marcarelli AM, Kane ES, Huckins CJ. 2016. Uptake of ammonium and soluble reactive phosphorus in forested streams: influence of dissolved organic matter composition. Biogeochemistry 131:355-372.
- Feringa, M., C. Huckins, W. Mattes, E. Baker, T. Zorn, J. Littlefield, K. Scribner. 2016. "Genetic and phenotypic evidence for splake presence in brook trout and lake trout spawning habitats." Journal of Great Lakes Research 42(3): 738-742. Read more
- Marcarelli AM, Huckins CJ & Eggert SL. 2015. Sand aggradation alters biofilm standing crop and metabolism in a low-gradient Lake Superior tributary. Journal of Great Lakes Research 41: 1052-1059. doi:10.1016/j.jglr.2015.09.004.
- Ogren, S. A. and C. J. Huckins 2015 Culvert replacements: improvement of stream biotic integrity? Restoration Ecology 23(6): 821-828.
- Ogren, S.A., and C.J Huckins. 2015. Awareness of bias in fish indices of biotic integrity improves interpretation of bioassessment. North American Journal of Fisheries Management. (in Press)
- Ogren*, S. and C.J Huckins. 2014. Evaluation of suitability and comparability of stream assessment indices using macroinvertebrate data sets from the Northern Lakes and Forests Ecoregion. Ecological Indicators. Volume 40, May 2014, Pages 117–126
- Mirchi*, A., D.W. Watkins, Jr., C. J Huckins, K. Madani and P. Hjorth. 2014. Water resources management in a homogenizing world: Averting the growth and underinvestment trajectory. Water Resources Research (in press) Read more
- Scribner, K., Huckins, C. J., Baker, E., Kanefsky, J. 2012. Genetic relationships and gene flow between resident and migratory brook trout in the Salmon Trout River. Journal of Great Lakes Research.
- Barkdoll, B.D. and C.J Huckins, 2012. The role of bridge scour in relation to stream restoration, Proceedings of the World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2012 American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA, (pp. 2546-2555).
- Harless, M. L., Huckins, C. J., Grant, J. B., Pypker, T. G. (2011). "Effects of six chemical deicers on larval wood frogs", Environmental Toxicity and Chemistry, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 30(7):1637–1641.
- Van Grinsven, M., Mayer, A. and Huckins, C. (2011), Estimation of Streambed Groundwater Fluxes Associated with Coaster Brook Trout Spawning Habitat. Ground Water. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6584.2011.00856.x
- Huckins, C. J, .E. A. Baker, K. D. Fausch and J. B. K. Leonard. 2008. Ecology and Life History of Coaster Brook Trout Salvelinus fontinalis and Potential Bottlenecks in Their Rehabilitation. North American Journal of Fish Management. 28:1321–1342.
- Huckins, C. J., and E. A. Baker. 2008. Migrations and Biological Characteristics of Adfluvial Coaster Brook Trout in a South Shore Lake Superior Tributary. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 137:1229-1243.
- Webster, C. W., C. J F. Huckins, J. M. Shields. 2008. Spatial Distribution of Riparian Zone Coarse Woody Debris in a Managed Northern Temperate Watershed. American Midland Naturalist. in press.
- VanDusen, P. J., C. J Huckins, D. J. Flaspohler. 2005. Associations among selection logging history, brook trout, macroinvertebrates and habitat in Northern Michigan headwater streams. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 134:762-774.
- Osenberg, C. W., C. J F. Huckins, A. Kaltenberg, and A. Martinez. 2004. Resolving within and between population variation in feeding ecology with a biomechanical model of crushing force. Oecologia. 141:57-65
- Flaspohler, D. J., C. J F. Huckins, B. R. Bub, and P. J. VanDusen. 2002. Temporal patterns in aquatic and avian communities following selective logging. Forest Science 48:339-350.
- Klinger, R.C., R.F. Floyd, V.S. Blazer, and C.J Huckins. 2001. Nutritional disease of a Lake Victorian cichlid, haplochromis (Prognathrochromis perrieri); a clinical assessment. Journal of Aquariculture and Aquatic Sciences 9:228-236.
- Huckins, C. J F., C. W. Osenberg, and G. G. Mittelbach. 2000. Species introductions and ecological consequences: an example with congeneric sunfish. Ecological Applications 10:612:625.
- Huckins, C.JF. 1997. Linkages between morphology, feeding performance, diet, and competitive ability of molluscivorous sunfish. Ecology 78:2401-2414.
Chandrashekhar P. Joshi
- Nookaraju, A., Pandey, S. K., Ahlawat, Y. K., & Joshi, C. P. (2022). Understanding the Modus Operandi of Class II KNOX Transcription Factors in Secondary Cell Wall Biosynthesis. Plants, 11(4), 493.
- Ahlawat YK, Nookaraju A, Harman-Ware AE, Doeppke C, Biswal AK and Joshi CP (2021) Genetic Modification of KNAT7 Transcription Factor Expression Enhances Saccharification and Reduces Recalcitrance of Woody Biomass in Poplars. Front. Plant Sci. 12:762067. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2021.762067
- AHLAWAT, Y.; Joshi, C.P. Overexpression of Arabidopsis Laccase2, Laccase4 and Peroxidase52 in hybrid poplar under developing xylem specific DX15 promoter improves saccharification efficiency in a woody biofuel feedstock, in Proceedings of the 1st International Electronic Conference on Plant Science, 1–15 December 2020.
- AHLAWAT, Y.; Joshi, C.P. Genetic manipulation of KNAT7 transcription factor enhances saccharification by reducing recalcitrance in the bioenergy crop Populus, in Proceedings of the 1st International Electronic Conference on Plant Science, 1–15 December 2020.
- Huang, J., Hao, X., Jin, Y. et al. Temporal transcriptome profiling of developing seeds reveals a concerted gene regulation in relation to oil accumulation in Pongamia (Millettia pinnata). BMC Plant Biol 18, 140 (2018).
- Joshi, C. P. (2018, June). Cell Wall Biotechnology of Bioenergy Plants for Improved Biofuel Production. In IN VITRO CELLULAR & DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY-ANIMAL (Vol. 54, pp. S14-S14). 233 SPRING ST, NEW YORK, NY 10013 USA: SPRINGER.
- Shashank K. Pandey, Nookaraju Akula, Takeshi Fujino, Sivakumar Pattathil, and Chandrashekhar P. Joshi (2016) Virus Induced Gene Silencing (VIGS) Mediated Functional Characterization of Two Genes Involved in Lignocellulosic Secondary Cell Wall Formation. Plant Cell Reports, 35:2353-2367.
- Puranik Swati, Kavitha S. Kumar, Oliver Gailing and Chandrashekhar P. Joshi (2014) Modifying plant cell walls for bioenergy production. CAB Reviews 9, 017, pp 1-10.
- Nookaraju Akula, Shashank K. Pandey, Takeshi Fujino, Ju Young Kim, Mi Chung Suh, and Chandrashekhar P. Joshi (2014) Enhanced Accumulation of Fatty Acids and Triacylglycerols in Transgenic Tobacco Stems for Enhanced Bioenergy Production. Plant Cell Reports 33 (7) 1041-1052.
- Sera Jung, Dae-Seok Lee, Yeon-Ok Kim, Chandrashekhar P. Joshi, and Hyeun-Jong Bae (2013) Improved recombinant cellulase expression in chloroplast of tobacco through promoter engineering and 5′ amplification promoting sequence. Plant Molecular Biology 83: 317–328. Published online in June 2013. DOI 10.1007/s11103-013-0088-2.
- Nookaraju A, Pandey SP, Bae HJ and Joshi CP (2013) Designing cell walls for better bioenergy production. Molecular Plant 6 (1):8-10. doi: 10.1093/mp/sss111 First published online: October 5, 2012.
- Liu Y, Xu F, Gou J, Al-Haddad J, Telewski FW, Bae HJ and C. P. Joshi (2012) Importance of Two Consecutive Methionines at the N-terminus of a Cellulose Synthase (PtdCesA8) for Normal Wood Cellulose Synthesis in Transgenic Aspen. Tree Physiology 32(11): 1403-1412 first published online October 17, 2012
- Chandrashekhar P. Joshi, Shivegowda Thammannagowda, Takeshi Fujino, Jiqing Gou, Utku Avci, Candace H. Haigler, Lisa M. McDonnell, Shawn D. Mansfield, Bemnet Menghesa, Nicholas C. Carpita, Darby Harris, Seth DeBolt and Gary F. Peter (2011) Perturbation of wood cellulose synthesis causes pleiotropic effects in transgenic aspen. Molecular Plant 4(2) 331-345.
- Zhu X, Pattahil S, Mazumdar K, Brehm A, Hahn MG. Dinesh-Kumar SP and C. P. Joshi (2010) Virus-induced gene silencing offers a functional genomics platform for studying plant cell wall formation. Molecular Plant 3 (5): 818-833.
- Fuyu Xu and Chandrashekhar P. Joshi (2010) Overexpression of Aspen Sucrose Synthase Gene Promotes Growth and Development of Transgenic Arabidopsis Plants. Advances in Biosciences and Biotechnology 1: 426-438.
- Manoj Kumar, Shivegowda Thammannagowda, Vincent Bulone, Vincent Chiang, Kyung-Hwan Han, Chandrashekhar P. Joshi, Shawn D. Mansfield, Ewa Mellerowicz, Björn Sundberg, Tuula Teeri, and Brian E. Ellis. An update on the nomenclature for the cellulose synthases genes from Populus. Trends in Plant Science 14(5):248-254, 2009.
- Shanfa Lu, Laigeng Li, Xiaoping Yi, Chandrashekhar P. Joshi, and Vincent L. Chiang: Differential expression of three eucalyptus secondary cell wall- related cellulose synthase genes in response to tension stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 681-695, 2008.
- (Invited presentation) C.P. Joshi: Genetic engineering of poplars for biofuel production via altered synthesis of cellulose. Presented at Tree Biotechnology meeting at Whistler, BC, Canada during June 28-July 2, 2009.
- C. P. Joshi, Brunner A, Busov V, Meilan R, Thammanagowda S, Tsai C.: Poplars. In: Compendium of transgenic crop plants: Transgenic forest tree species. C. Kole and T. Hall (Eds). Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK. PP 1-34. 2008.
- C.P. Joshi and S.D. Mansfield: The cellulose paradox: simple molecule, complex biosynthesis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology. 10: 220-226, 2007.
Evan S. Kane
(* asterisk denotes student mentee)
Rober AR, Lankford AJ, Kane ES, Turetsky MR, Wyatt KH. 2023. Structuring Life After Death: Plant Leachates Promote CO2 Uptake by Regulating Microbial Biofilm Interactions in a Northern Peatland Ecosystem. Ecosystems, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10021-023-00820-w.
Watmough S, and 62 other authors including Kane ES. 2022. Variation in carbon and nitrogen concentrations among peatland categories at the global scale, PLoS ONE, 17(11):e0275149. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0275149.
Stuart JEM, Tucker CL, Lilleskov EA, Kolka RK, Chimner RA, Heckman KA, Kane ES. 2022. Evidence for older carbon loss with lowered water tables and changing plant functional groups in peatlands. Global Change Biology, https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.16508.
*O’Neill A, Tucker C, Kane ES. 2022. Fresh Air for the Mire-Breathing Hypothesis: Sphagnum Moss and Peat Structure Regulate the Response of CO2 Exchange to Altered Hydrology in a Northern Peatland Ecosystem. Water, 14(20) 3239, https://doi.org/10.3390/w14203239.
*Uhelski DM, Kane ES, Chimner RA, Heckman KA, Miesel J, Xie L. 2022. Pyrogenic carbon content of Sphagnum peat soils estimated using diffuse reflectance FTIR spectrometry. Mires and Peat, 28(30), http://mires-and-peat.net/pages/volumes/map28/map2830.php.
*Richard RP, Kane ES, Bronson D, Kolka R. 2022. Whole-tree harvest effects on macronutrients in an oak-dominated system after seven years. Forests, 13, 1532, https://doi.org/10.3390/f13101532.
Kwon MJ, Ballantyne A, Ciais P, Qiu C, Salmon E, Raoult N, Guenet B, Göckede M, Euskirchen ES, Nykänen H, Schuur EAG, Turetsky MR, Dieleman CM, Kane ES, Zona D. 2022. Lowering water table reduces carbon sink strength and carbon stocks in northern peatlands. Global Change Biology, https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.16394.
Tucker C, *O’Neill A, *Meingast K, Bourgeau-Chavez L, Lilleskov E, Kane ES. 2022. Spectral Indices of Vegetation Condition and Soil Water Content Reflect Controls on CH4 and CO2 Exchange in Sphagnum-Dominated Northern Peatlands. Journal of Geophysical Research- Biogeosciences, DOI10.1029/2021JG006486.
*Uhelski DM, Kane ES, Chimner R. 2022. Plant functional types drive Peat Quality differences. Wetlands, 42(5), 51.
Verbeke BA, Lamit LJ, Lilleskov EA, Hodgkins SB, Basiliko N, Kane ES, et al. 2022. Latitude, elevation, and mean annual temperature predict peat organic matter chemistry at a global scale. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 36, e2021GB007057. https://doi.org/10.1029/2021GB007057.
Ishi M. Keenum
- Keenum, I.*, Player, R., Kralj, J., Servetas, S., Sussman, M., Russell, J., Stone, J., Chandrapati, S., Sozhamannan, S., AOAC SPADA-NGS Working Group (2023), “Amplicon Sequencing Minimum Information (AsqMI): Quality and Reporting Guidelines for Actionable Calls in Biodefense Applications” AOAC International, https://doi.org/10.1093/jaoacint/qsad047
- Davis, B.C., Brown, C., Gupta, S., Calarco, J., Liguori,K., Milligan, E., Harwood, V.J., Pruden, A, Keenum,I.* Towards Standardization of Metagenomics for Monitoring Antibiotic Resistance in Wastewater and Impacted Aquatic Environments. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, https://doi.org/10.1080/10643389.2023.2181620
- Keenum, I., Wind, L., Ray, P., Guron, G., Chen, C., Knowlton, K., Ponder, M., Pruden, A. (2022) Metagenomic Tracking of Antibiotic Resistance Genes through a Pre‐harvest Vegetable Production System: An Integrated Lab‐, Microcosm‐, and Greenhouse‐Scale Study. Environmental Microbiology. https://doi.org/10.1111/1462-2920.16022
- Keenum,I., Liguori,K., Calarco, J., Davis, B.C., Milligan, E., Harwood, V.J., Pruden, A (2021) A framework for standardized qPCR-targets and protocols for quantifying antibiotic resistance in surface water, recycled water and wastewater. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, https://doi.org/10.1080/10643389.2021.2024739
- Keenum, I., Williams, R.K., Ray, P., Garner, E., Knowlton, K., Pruden, A. (2021) Combined effects of composting and antibiotic administration on cattle manure–borne antibiotic resistance genes. Microbiome, 9(81). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40168-021-01006-z
- Keenum, I., Crespo-Medina, M., Garner, E., Pieper, K., Pruden, A., Ramirez-Toro, G., Rhoads, W. (2021) Assessing Water Quality in Rural Drinking Water Systems in Puerto Rico Six Months after Hurricane Maria. Environmental Science and Technology,55(6), 3775–3785. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.0c08814
- Kerfoot, W.C.; Hobmeier, M.M.; Green, S.A.; Yousef, F.; Brooks, C.N.; Shuchman, R.; Sayers, M.; Lin, L.; Luong, P.; Hayter, E.; Reif, M. Coastal Ecosystem Investigations with LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) and Bottom Reflectance: Lake Superior Reef Threatened by Migrating Tailings. Remote Sens. 2019, 11, 1076. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs11091076
- Kerfoot, W.C., N.R. Urban, C.P. McDonald, H. Zhang, R. Rossmann, J. Perlinger, T. Khan, A. Hendricks, M. Priyadarshini, M. Bolstad, 2018, Mining Legacy Across a Wetland Landscape: High Mercury in Upper Peninsula (Michigan) Rivers, Lakes, And Fish. Environ. Sci. Processes Impacts. 20: 708-733. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/C7EM00521K ESPI Best Paper Nominees collection http://rsc.li/espi-nominees
- Staples, D.F., Maki, R.P., Hirsch, J.K., Kerfoot, W.C., LeDuc, J.F., Burri, T., Moraska Lafrancois, B. Glase, J. 2017. Decrease in young-of-the-year yellow perch growth rates following Bythotrephes longimanus invasion. Biol. Invasions. 19: 2197-2205 http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10530-017-1431-3
- Kerfoot, W.C., M.M. Hobmeier, F. Yousef. B. Moraska LaFrancois, R.P. Maki, J.K. Hirsch. 2016. A Plague of Waterfleas (Bythotrephes): Impacts on Microcrustacean Community Structure, Seasonal Biomass, and Secondary Production in a Large Inland-lake Complex. Biol. Invasions. 18 (4): 1121-1145 http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10530-015-1050-9
- Kerfoot, W.C., N.R. Urban C.P. McDonald, R. Rossmann, H. Zhang 2016. Legacy mercury releases during copper mining near Lake Superior. J. Great Lakes Res. 42(1): 50-61 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2015.10.007
- Kerfoot, W.C. and Savage, S.C. 2016. Multiple inducers in aquatic foodwebs: Counter-measures and vulnerability to exotics. Limnol. Oceanogr., 61: 382–406. 12 Nov 2015 http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/lno.10223
- Rowe, MD., D.R. Obenour, T.F. Nalepa, H.A. Vanderploeg, F. Yousef, W.C. Kerfoot. 2015. Mapping the spatial distribution of invasive dreissenid mussels on the winter-spring phytoplankton bloom in Lake Michigan. Freshwater Biology 60: 2197-2454, 6 Aug 2015 http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/fwb.12653
- Kerfoot, W.C., M.M. Hobmeier, F. Yousef, S.A. Green, R. Regis, C.N. Brooks, R. Shuchman, J. Anderson, and M. Reif. 2014. Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) and Multispectral Scanner Studies (MSS) Examine Coastal Environments Influenced by Mining. ISPRS Int. J. Geo-Inf 3: 66-95 http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijgi3010066
- Yousef, F., W.C. Kerfoot, R. Shuchman, and G. Fahnenstiel. 2014. Bio-optical properties and primary production of Lake Michigan: insights from 13-years of SeaWiFS imagery. J. Great Lakes Res. 40: 317-324 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2014.02.018
- Yousef, F., W.C. Kerfoot, C.N. Brooks, R. Shuchman, B. Sabol, and M. Graves. 2013. Using LiDAR to reconstruct the history of a coastal environment influenced by legacy mining. J. Great Lakes Res. 39 Sup. 1: 205-216 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2013.01.003
- Kerfoot, W.C., F. Yousef, S.A. Green, R. Regis, R. Shuchman, C.N. Brooks, M. Sayers, B. Sabol, M. Graves. 2012. Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) and Multispectral Studies of Disturbed Lake Superior Coastal Environments. Limnol. Oceanogr. 57(3): 749-771 http://dx.doi.org/10.4319/lo.2012.57.3.0749
- Kerfoot, W.C., F. Yousef, M. Hobmeier, R.P. Maki, S.T. Jarnagin, J.H. Churchill. 2011. Temperature, Recreational Fishing and Diapause Egg Connections: Dispersal of Spiny Water Fleas (Bythotrephes longimanus) Biol. Invasions. 13: 2513-2531 http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10530-011-0078-8
- Cooke, C.A., P.H. Balcom, W.C. Kerfoot, M.B. Abbott, A.P. Wolfe. 2011. Pre-Columbian Mercury Pollution with the Smelting of Argentiferous Ores in the Bolivian Andes. AMBIO 40: 18-25 http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13280-010-0086-4
- Kerfoot, W.C., F. Yousef, S.A. Green, J.W. Budd, D.J. Schwab, and H.A. Vanderploeg. 2010. Approaching storm: Disappearing winter bloom in Lake Michigan. J. Great Lakes Res. 36: Supplement 3: 30-41 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2010.04.010
- Kerfoot, W.C. and A.S. McNaught. 2010. ‘Two-step’ dialogue between the cladoceran Bosmina and invertebrate predators: Induction and natural selection. Limnol. Oceanogr. 55(1) 403-419 https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2010.55.1.0403
- Berendonk, T.U., K. Spitze, W.C. Kerfoot. 2009. Ephemeral metapopulations show high genetic diversity at regional scales. Ecology. 90(10): 2670-2675 https://doi.org/10.1890/08-0667.1
- Kerfoot, W.C., J.W. Budd, S.A. Green, J.B. Cotner, B.A. Biddanda, D.J. Schwab and H.A. Vanderploeg 2008. Doughnut in the desert: late-winter production pulse in southern Lake Michigan. Limnol. Oceanogr 53: 589-604 https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2008.53.2.0589
Jae Sung Kim
- Kim, J. S. (2022). Near-automated orthorectification of archived aerial photographs, Journal of Applied Remote Sensing, 16(3), 036505.
- Kim, J. S., & Kisekka, I. (2021). FARMs: a geospatial crop modeling and agricultural water management system. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 10(8), 553.
- Kim, J. S., & Kim, K. (2018). Analysis of 2016 Minamiaso landslides using remote sensing and geographic information system. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing, 12(3), 036001.
- Kim, J. S. (2018). The application of near-automated georeferencing technique to a strip of historic aerial photographs in GIS. Library Hi Tech, 36(1), 43-56.
- Stone, T., Trepal, D., Lafreniere, D., and Sadler, R. 2023. Built and Social Indicies for Hazards in Children's Environments. Health and Place, Vol. 83.
- Stone, T., Lafreniere, D., and Hildebrandt, R. 2022. Deep Mapping the Daily Spaces of Children and Youth in the Industrial City. Historical Methods: A Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History, Vol. 55, no. 4: 209-227.
- Lafreniere, D., Stone, T., Hildebrandt, R., Sadler, R., Madison, M., Trepal, D., Spikberg, G., and Juip, J. 2021. Schools as Vectors of Infectious Disease Transmission during the 1918 Influenza Pandemic. Cartographica: The International Journal for Geographic Information and Geovisualization, Vol. 56, no. 1: 51-63.
- Walling, D., Sadler, R., and Lafreniere, D. 2021. Lessons from U.S. Rust Belt Cities for Equitable Low-Growth Futures. Urban Research & Practice, Vol. 14, no. 4: 471-482.
- Trepal, D. Lafreniere, D., and Stone, T. 2021. Mapping Historical Archaeology and Industrial Heritage: The Historical Spatial Data Infrastructure. Journal of Computer Applications in Archaeology, Vol. 3, no. 1: 202-213.
- Lafreniere, D., and Gilliland, J. 2020. "Revisiting the Walking City: A Geospatial Examination of the Journey to Work" in Charles Travis, Francis Ludlow, and Ferenc Gyuris eds., Historical Geography, GIScience and Textual Analysis. Cham, Switzerland: Springer Nature, 85-112.
- Trepal, D., Lafreniere, D., and Gilliland, J. 2020. Historical Spatial-Data Infrastructures for Archaeology: Towards a Spatiotemporal Big-Data Approach to Studying the Postindustrial City. Historical Archaeology, Vol. 54, no. 2: 424-452.
- Lafreniere. D., Weidner, L., Trepal, D., Scarlett, S., Arnold, J., Pastel, R., and Williams, R. 2019. Public Participatory Historical GIS. Historical Methods: Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History, Vol. 52, no. 3: 132-149.
- Trepal, D., and Lafreniere, D. 2019. Understanding Cumulative Hazards in a Rustbelt City: Integrating GIS, Archaeology, and Spatial History. Urban Science, Vol. 3, no. 3: article 83.
- Scarlett, S., Lafreniere, D., Trepal, D., Arnold, J., and Xie, Y. 2019. Out of the Classroom and Into History: Mobile Historical GIS and Community-Engaged Teaching. The History Teacher, Vol. 53, no. 1: 11-35.
- Trepal, D., Scarlett, S., and Lafreniere, D. 2019. Heritage Making through Community Archaeology and the Spatial Humanities. Journal of Community Archaeology & Heritage, Vol. 6, no. 4: 238-256.
- Southall, H., and Lafreniere, D. 2019. Working with the Public in Historical Data Creation. Historical Methods: Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History, Vol. 52, no. 3: 129-131.
- Scarlett, S., Lafreniere, D., Trepal, D., Arnold, J., and Pastel, R. 2018. Engaging Community and Spatial Humanities for Postindustrial Heritage: The Keweenaw Time Traveler. American Quarterly, Vol. 70, no. 3: 619-623.
- Gregory, I., Debats, D., and Lafreniere, D., eds. 2018. The Routledge Companion to Spatial History. London: Routledge, ISBN: 978-1138860148
- Lafreniere, D., and Gilliland, J. 2018. Following Workers of the Industrial City across a Decade: Residential, Occupational, and Workplace Mobilities from 1881-1891 in Ian Gregory, Don Debats, and Don Lafreniere, eds., The Routledge Companion to Spatial History. London: Routledge, 299-319.
- Arnold, J., and Lafreniere, D. 2018 Creating a Longitudinal, Data-Driven 3D Model of Change Over Time in a Postindustrial Landscape Using GIS and CityEngine. Journal of Cultural Heritage Management and Sustainable Development, Vol. 7, no. 4
- Lutz, J., Lafreniere, D., Harvey, M., Dunae, P., Gilliland, J. 2018 "'A City of White Race Occupies its Place' Kanaka Row, Chinatown, and the Indian Quarter in Victorian Victoria" in Ian Gregory, Don Debats, and Don Lafreniere, eds., The Routledge Companion to Spatial History. London: Routledge, 320-348.
- Baeten, J., Langston, N., and Lafreniere, D. 2018. A Spatial Evaluation of Historic Iron Mining Impacts on Current Impaired Waters in Lake Superior's Mesabi Range. AMBIO- Journal of the Human Environment, Vol. 47, no. 2: 231-244.
- Arnold, J., and Lafreniere, D. 2018. The Persistence of Time: Vernacular Preservation of the Postindustrial Landscape. Change Over Time: An International Journal of Conservation and the Built Environment, Vol. 7, no. 2: 114-133.
- Sadler. R, and Lafreniere D. 2017. You are where you live: Methodological Challenges to Measuring Children’s Exposure to Hazards. Journal of Children and Poverty, Vol. 23, no. 2: 189-198.
- Sadler. R, and Lafreniere, D. 2017. Racist Housing Practices as a Precursor to Uneven Neighborhood Change in a Post-Industrial City. Housing Studies, Vol. 32, no. 2: 186-208
- Baeten. J, Langston, N, and Lafreniere, D. 2016. A Geospatial Approach to Uncovering the Hidden Waste Footprint of Lake Superior's Mesabi Iron Range. The Extractive Industries and Society, Vol. 3, no. 4: 1031-1045
- Van Allen, N. and Lafreniere, D. 2016 Rebuilding the Landscape of the Rural Post Office: A Geospatial Analysis of 19th Century Postal Space and Networks. Rural Landscapes: Society, Environment, History, Vol. 3, no. 1: 2, 1-19
- Oiamo, T., Lafreniere, D., and Parr, J. 2016 “The Making of a Key North American Environment of Mobility: the Windsor-Detroit Borderland.” In Colin Coates, Jay Young, and Ben Bradley, eds., Moving Natures: Mobility and the Environment in Canadian History. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 175-198
- Lafreniere, D. and Gilliland, J. 2015. All the World's a Stage: A GIS Framework for Recreating Personal Time-Space from Qualitative and Quantitative Sources. Transactions in GIS, Vol. 19, no. 2: 225-246.
- Dunae, P., Lafreniere, D., Gilliland, J., and Lutz, J. 2013. Dwelling Places, Social Spaces: Revealing the Environments of Urban Workers in Victoria using Historical GIS. Labour/Le Travail, Vol. 72: 37-73.
- Ridge, M., Lafreniere, D., and Nesbit, S. 2013. Creating Deep Maps and Spatial Narratives through Design. International Journal of Humanities and Arts Computing, Vol. 7: 176-189.
- Lutz, J., Dunae, P., Gilliland, J., Lafreniere, D., and Harvey, M. 2013. “Turning Space Inside Out: Spatial History and Race in Victorian Victoria.” In Jennifer Bonnell and Marcel Fortin, eds., Historical GIS Research in Canada. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 1-26.
- Dunae, P., Lutz, J., Lafreniere, D., and Gilliland, J. 2011. Making the Inscrutable, Scrutable: Race and Space in Victoria’s Chinatown, 1891. B.C. Studies, no. 169: 51-80.
- Lafreniere, D., and Rivet, D. 2010. Rescaling the Past through Mosaic Historical Cartography. Journal of Maps, Vol. 6, no. 1: 417-422.
- Langston, N. 2021. Climate Ghosts: Restoring Migratory Species in the Anthropocene. Brandeis University Press.
- Langston, N. and K. Brosemer. 2022 (27: 2). Loons and the risk of extinction in a warming world." Environmental History 340-348.
- SV Nguyen, N Langston, A Wellstead, M Howlett. 2020. Mining the evidence: Public comments and evidence-based policymaking in the controversial Minnesota PolyMet mining project, Resources Policy 69, 101842
- Langston, N. 2019. “Environment and sustainability in mining.” Chapter for Environment and Sustainability in a Globalizing World, Ed. A. Nightingale and T Bohler, Routledge.
- Baeten, J. P., Langston, N., Lafreniere, D. J. 2018. “A Spatial Evaluation of Historic Iron Mining Impacts on Current Impaired Waters in Lake Superior's Mesabi Range.” Ambio 47 (2): 231-244.
- Langston, N. and K. Christen. 2019. Conservation policies threaten Indigenous reindeer herders in Mongolia. The Conversation, Oct. 10, 2019.
- Langston, N. 2019. “Closing nuclear plants will increase climate risks.” NICHE: The Otther, Jan. 30, 2019. http://niche-canada.org/2019/01/30/closing-nuclear-plants-will-increase-climate-risks/ Co-published with Activehistory.ca and Historicalclimatology.org
- Langston, N. 2019. “Will woodland caribou survive in the Lake Superior basin?” Agate Magazine Jan. 14, 2019. http://www.agatemag.com/2019/01/will-woodland-caribou-survive-in-the-lake-superior-basin/
- Langston, N. 2018. “Are woodland caribou doomed by climate change?” Historical Climatology July 26, 2018. https://www.historicalclimatology.com/blog/are-woodland-caribou-doomed-by-climate-change
- Langston, N. 2018 “The Syllabus Project: Diversifying the Environmental History Syllabus.” NICHE: The Otter. July 5, 2018. http://niche-canada.org/2018/07/05/the-syllabus-project/
- Langston. N. 2017 Sustaining Lake Superior: An Extraordinary Lake in a Changing World. Yale U. Press. Paperback March 2019.
- Langston, N. 2017 “Iron Mines, Toxicity, and Indigenous Communities in the Lake Superior Basin,” pp. 313-338 in Mining North America, eds. G. Vrtis and J. McNeil, U of CA Press.
- Langston, N. 2017. “Resiliency and Collapse: Lake Trout, Sea Lamprey, and Fisheries Management in Lake Superior.” Pp. 239-262 in Lynne Heasley and Daniel Macfarlane, eds Border Flows: A Century of Canadian-American Water Relations, U. Calgary Press.
- John Baeten, Nancy Langston, and Don Lafreniere. 2016. “A geospatial approach to uncovering the hidden waste footprint of Lake Superior’s Mesabi Iron Range.” The Extractive Industries and Society 3(4): 1031-1045.
- Thistle, J. and N. Langston. 2016. “Entangled histories: Iron ore mining in Canada and the United States.” TheExtractive Industries and Society 3(2): 269-277. 10.1016/j.exis.2015.06.00 Read More
- Mårald, E., N. Langston, A. Stens, and J. Moen. 2015. “Changing ideas in forestry: a comparison of concepts in Swedish and American forestry journals during the early 20th and 21st centuries.” Ambio. Read More
- Steen-Adams, M. M., Langston, N., Adams, M. D., & Mladenoff, D. J. 2015. “Historical framework to explain long-term coupled human and natural system feedbacks: application to a multiple-ownership forest landscape in the northern Great Lakes region, USA.” Ecology and Society, 20(1). Read More
- Nancy Langston. 2013. Mining the Boreal North. American Scientist. April
- Nancy Langston. 2010. Toxic Bodies: Hormone Disruptors and the Legacy of DES. New Haven: Yale University Press. Read More
- Langston, N. 2015. “Thinking Like A Microbe: Borders and Environmental History.” Canadian Historical Review. 95(4): 592-603 Read More
- Michelle Steen-Adams, David J. Mladenoff, Nancy E. Langston, Feng Liu, and Jun Zhu. 2011. “Influence of Biophysical Factors and Differences in Ojibwe Reservation Versus Euro-American Social Histories on Forest Landscape Change in Northern Wisconsin, USA.” Landscape Ecology 26 (8) (August 21): 1165-1178. Read More
- Michelle Steen-Adams, N. Langston, and D. J. Mladenoff. 2010. “Logging the Great Lakes Indian Reservations: The Case of the Bad River Band of Ojibwe.” American Indian Culture and Research Journal 34: 41-66. Read More
Eugene Levin, CP
- Levin, E., A. Zaronwski, C. Cohen, R. Liimakka. 2010. Human-Centric Approach to Inhomogeneous Geospatial Data Fusion and Actualization, Proceedings of the ASPRS-2010 Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, April 2010.
- Levin, E., A. V. Sergeyev. 2009. Innovative System Architecture for Spatial Volumetric Acoustic Seeing, SPIE, Defense and Security Symposium.
- Levin, E., W. Helton, G. Gienko, R. Liimakka. 2008. Eye-Movement Analysis in Visual Inspection of Geospatial Data, Proceedings of the ASPRS-2008 Annual Conference, Portland, OR, April 2008.
- Levin, E., G. Gienko, A. Sergeyev. 2008. Human-Centric Approach for Geospatial Data Fusion in Homeland Defence and Security Application Scenarios, 2008 SPIE Defense and Security Symposium, Orlando, FL, March 2008.
- Levin, E., S. Skubiev, A. Zarnowski. Innovative Aspects of International Collaboration in Development of Geospatial Curriculum and Research, Proceedings of the Land State University Research Magazine, Pages 85–98.
Shannon*, J. P., R. Kolka, M. Van Grinsven, and F. Liu (2022). Joint Impacts of Future Climate Conditions and Invasive Species on Black Ash Forested Wetlands. Frontiers in Forests and Global Change, 5:957526. doi: 10.3389/ffgc.2022.957526.
Porter*, V. M., J. B. Shanley, S. D. Sebestyen, and F. Liu† (2022). Controls on decadal, annual, and seasonal solute concentration-discharge relationships in the Sleepers River Research Watershed, Vermont, northeastern United States. Hydrological Processes, 36(3), e14559. https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.14559.
Hofmeister**, K., R. Lerch, C. Baffaut, J. Yang, and F. Liu (2022). Characterizing Groundwater Chemistry and Recharge in the Critical Zone of an Agricultural Claypan Watershed. Water Resources Research, 58(10), e2021WR031797. https://doi.org/10.1029/ 2021WR031797.
Liu, F., R. N. Lerch, J. Yang, and G. Peters* (2020). Determining Streamflow Pathways Using Geochemical Tracers in a Claypan Watershed. Hydrological Processes, 34 (11): 2494-2509. DOI: 10.1002/HYP.13743.
Ackerer**, J., C. Steefel, F. Liu, R. Bart, S. Khan, A. O'geen, C. Hunsaker, R. C. Bales (2020). Determining how Critical Zone structure constrains hydrogeochemical behavior of watersheds: learning from an elevation gradient in California’s Sierra Nevada. Frontiers in Water, doi: 10.3389/frwa.2020.00023.
Liu, F., M. Conklin, and G. Shaw (2017). Insights into concentration-discharge and endmember mixing analyses in the mid Merced River basin. Water Resources Research, 53, doi:10.1002/2016WR019437.
Shaw, G., M. H. Conklin, G. Nimz, and F. Liu (2014). Groundwater and surface water flow to the Merced River, Yosemite Valley, California: 36Cl and Cl- evidence. Water Resources Research, 10.1002/2013WR014222.
Liu, F., C. Hunsaker, and R. C. Bales (2013). Controls of streamflow generation in small catchments across snow/rain transition in the Southern Sierra, California. Hydrological Processes, 27, 1959-1972, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.9304.
Wang* Y., Y. Ding, B. Ye, F. Liu, J. Wang, and J. Wang (2013). Contributions of climate and human activities to changes in runoff of the Yellow and Yangtze Rivers from 1950 to 2008. Science China Earth Sciences, doi: 10.1007/s11430-012—4505-1.
Frisbee, M. D., F. M. Phillips, A. R. Campbell, F. Liu, and S. A. Sanchez (2011). Streamflow generation in a large, alpine watershed in the southern Rocky Mountains of Colorado: Is streamflow generation simply the aggregation of hillslope runoff responses? Water Resources Research, 47, W06512, doi: 10.1029/2010WR009391.
Liu, F., R. C. Bales, M. H. Conklin, and M. E. Conrad (2008). Stream flow generation from snowmelt in semi-arid, forested and seasonally snow-covered catchments, Valles Caldera, New Mexico. Water Resources Research, 44, W12443, doi:10.1029/2007WR006278.
Liu, F., M. Williams, and N. Caine (2004). Source waters and flow paths in an alpine catchment, Colorado Front Range, USA. Water Resources Research, Vol. 40, W09401, doi: 10.1029/2004WR003076.
Amy M Marcarelli
- Brooks, C., Grimm, A., Marcarelli, A. M., Marion, N. P., Shuchman, R., & Sayers, M. (2022). Classification of Eurasian Watermilfoil (Myriophyllum spicatum) Using Drone-Enabled Multispectral Imagery Analysis. Remote Sensing, 14(10), 2336. Read more
- Marcarelli, A.M., Fulweiler, R.W. and Scott, J.T. (2022), Nitrogen fixation: A poorly understood process along the freshwater-marine continuum. Limnology and Oceanography Letters, 7: 1-10. Read more
- Nevorski K.C. and Marcarelli, A.M. (2022), High daily and year-round variability in denitrification and nitrogen fixation in a northern temperate river. Read more
- Mebane CA, Ray AM, Marcarelli AM (2021) Nutrient limitation of algae and macrophytes in streams: Integrating laboratory bioassays, field experiments, and field data. PLOS ONE 16(6): e0252904. Read more
- Fulweiler RW, Davies SW, Biddle JF, Burgin AJ, Cooperdock EHG, et al. (2021) Rebuild the Academy: Supporting academic mothers during COVID-19 and beyond. PLOS Biology 19(3): e3001100. Read more
- Meingast, K. M., Kane, E. S., Coble, A. A., Marcarelli, A. M., & Toczydlowski, D. (2020). Climate, snowmelt dynamics and atmospheric deposition interact to control dissolved organic carbon export from a northern forest stream over 26 years. Environmental Research Letters, 15(10), 104034. Read more
- Marcarelli, A. M., Baxter, C. V., Benjamin, J. R., Miyake, Y., Murakami, M., Fausch, K. D., & Nakano, S. (2020). Magnitude and direction of stream–forest community interactions change with timescale. Ecology, 101(8), e03064. Read more
Patrick E. Martin
- Patrick E. Martin. 2012. “Industrial Archaeology.” In Industrial Heritage Re-tooled. The TICCIH Guide to Industrial Heritage Conservation. James Douet, (ed.) TICCIH.
- Patrick E. Martin. 2012. “Industrial Archaeology and the West Point Foundry.” In IA, Journal of the Society for Industrial Archeology 35, 1 & 2, 5-8.
- Patrick E. Martin. 2011. “Industrial Heritage Preservation Organizations and Institutions.” In Forum Journal, 25, No. 3. 25-31. National Trust for Historic Preservation, Washington DC.
- Patrick E. Martin. 2009. “Industrial Archaeology.” In The International Handbook of Historical Archaeology, Teresita Majewski and David Gaimster (eds), 285-297. Springer.
Lynn R. Mazzoleni
- Clegg, S.L., L.R. Mazzoleni, V. Samburova, N.F. Taylor, D.R. Collins, S.K. Schum, A.G. Hallar, Modelling the hygroscopic growth factors of aerosol material containing a large water-soluble organic fraction, collected at the Storm Peak Laboratory, Atmospheric Environment, 2019, In Press.
- Schum S.K., B. Zhang, K. Dzepina, D. Helmig, P. Fialho, C. Mazzoleni, and L.R. Mazzoleni, Molecular and Physical Characteristics of Aerosol at a Remote Free Troposphere Site: Implications for Atmospheric Aging, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 18, 14017–14036, doi.org/10.5194/acp-18-14017-2018, 2018.
- Brege, M.A., M. Paglione, S. Gilardoni, S. Decesari, M.C. Facchini, and L.R. Mazzoleni, Molecular Insights on Aging and Aqueous Phase Processing from Ambient Biomass Burning Emissions-Influenced Po Valley Fog and Aerosol, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 18, 13197-13214, doi.org/10.5194/acp-18-13197-2018, 2018.
- Sengupta, D., V. Samburova, C. Bhattarai, E. Kirillova, L. Mazzoleni, M. Iaukea-Lum, A. Watts, H. Moosmüller, A. Khlystov, Light Absorption by Polar and Non-Polar Aerosol Compounds from Laboratory Biomass Combustion, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 18, 10849-10867, doi.org/10.5194/acp-18-10849-2018, 2018.
- Khaksari, M., L.R. Mazzoleni, C. Ruan, P. Song, N.D. Hershey, R.T. Kennedy, M.A. Burns, and A.R. Minerick. Detection and Quantification of Vitamins in Microliter Volumes of Biological Samples by LC-MS for Clinical Screening, AIChE Journal, 64(10), doi.org/10.1002/aic.16345, 2018.
- Varanasi, L., E. Coscarelli, M. Khaksari, L. Mazzoleni, and D. Minakata, Transformations of Dissolved Organic Matter Induced by UV Photolysis, Hydroxyl Radicals, Chlorine Radicals, and Sulfate Radicals in Aqueous-Phase UV-Based Advanced Oxidation Processes, Water Research, 135: 22-30, doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2018.02.015, 2018.
- Schultz, M.G., S. Schröder, O. Lyapina, O. Cooper, I. Galbally, I. Petropavlovskikh, E. von Schneidemesser, H. Tanimoto, Y. Elshorbany, M. Naja, R.J. Seguel, U. Dauert, P. Eckhardt, S. Feigenspan, M. Fiebig, A.-G. Hjellbrekke Y.-D. Hong, P.C. Kjeld, H. Koide, G. Lear, D. Tarasick, M. Ueno, M. Wallasch, D. Baumgardner, M.-T. Chuang, R. Gillett, M. Lee, S. Molloy, R. Moolla, T. Wang, K. Sharps, J.A. Adame, G. Ancellet, F. Apadula, P. Artaxo, M.E. Barlasina, M. Bogucka, P. Bonasoni, L. Chang, A. Colomb, E. Cuevas, M. Cupeiro, A. Degorska, A. Ding, M. Fröhlich, M. Frolova, H. Gadhavi, F. Gheusi, S. Gilge, M.Y. Gonzalez, V. Gros, S.H. Hamad, D. Helmig, D. Henriques, O. Hermansen, R. Holla, J. Hueber, U. Im, D.A. Jaffe, N. Komala, D. Kubistin, K.-S. Lam, T. Laurila, H. Lee, I. Levy, C. Mazzoleni, L.R. Mazzoleni, A. McClure-Begley, M. Mohamad, M. Murovec, M. Navarro-Comas, F. Nicodim, D. Parrish, K.A. Read, N. Reid, L. Ries, P. Saxena, J.J. Schwab, Y. Scorgie, I. Senik, P. Simmonds, V. Sinha, A.I. Skorokhod, G. Spain, W. Spangl, R. Spoor, S.R. Springston, K. Steer, M. Steinbacher, E. Suharguniyawan, P. Torre, T. Trickl, L. Weili, R. Weller, X. Xu, L. Xue, M. Zhiqiang, Tropospheric Ozone Assessment Report: Database and Metrics Data of Global Surface Ozone Observations, Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene, 5:58, doi.org/10.1525/elementa.244, 2017.
- China, S., P.A. Alpert, B. Zhang, S. Schum, K. Dzepina, K. Wright, R.C. Owen, L.R., Mazzoleni, C. Mazzoleni, D.A. Knopf, Ice Cloud Formation Potential by Free Tropospheric Particles from Curriculum Vitae – Lynn R. Mazzoleni Long-Range Transport over the Northern Atlantic Ocean, J. Geophysical Research, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016JD025817/full, 2017.
- Zhang, B., R.C. Owen, J.A. Perlinger, D. Helmig, M. Val Martin, L. Kramer, L.R. Mazzoleni and C. Mazzoleni, Ten-Year Chemical Signatures Associated with Long Range Transport Observed in the Free Troposphere Over the Central North Atlantic, Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene, 5: 8, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1525/elementa.194, 2017.
- Taylor, N.F., D.R. Collins, D.H. Lowenthal, B. Zielinska, V. Samburova, N. Kumar, A.G. Hallar, L.R. Mazzoleni, I.B. McCubbin, Hygroscopic Growth of Water Soluble Organic Carbon Isolated from Atmospheric Aerosol Collected at U.S. National Parks and Storm Peak Laboratory, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 17, 2555-2571, doi:10.5194/acp-17-2555-2017, 2017.
- Kundu, S., R. Fisseha, A.L. Putman, T.A. Rahn, and L.R. Mazzoleni, Molecular Formula Composition of β-Caryophyllene Ozonolysis SOA Formed in Humid and Dry Conditions, Atmospheric Environment, 154, 70–81, 2017.
- Khaksari, M., L.R. Mazzoleni, C. Ruan, R.T. Kennedy, A.R. Minerick, Determination of Water-Soluble and Fat-Soluble Vitamins in Tears and Blood Serum of Infants and Parents by Liquid Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry, Experimental Eye Research, 155, 54–63, 2017.
- Khaksari, M., L.R. Mazzoleni, C. Ruan, R.T. Kennedy, A.R. Minerick, Data Representing Two Separate LC-MS Methods for Detection and Quantification of Water-Soluble and Fat-Soluble Vitamins in Tears and Blood Serum, Data in Brief, 11, 316-330, ISSN 2352-3409, https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dib.2017.02.033, 2017.
- Meadows, L.A., C. Whelan, D. Barrick, R. Kroodsma, C. Ruf, C.C. Teague, G.A. Meadows and S. Wang, “High Frequency Radar and its Application to Fresh Water,” Journal of Great Lakes Research, in press, 2013.
- Meadows, G.A., “A Review of Low Cost Underwater Acoustic Remote Sensing for Large Freshwater Systems,” Journal of Great Lakes Research, in press, 2013.
- Shuchman, R.A., L. Jenkins, C. Hatt, J Payne, S. Guyer, M. Sayers and G. Meadows, “A Combined SAR and Electro-Optical Satellite Based Algorithm to Estimate Water Depth and Volume of North Slope Lakes, Alaska,” Remote Sensing of the Environment, in review, 2012.
- Norton, R. K., L. A. Meadows, G. A. Meadows. “Drawing Lines in Law Books and on Sandy Beaches: Marking Ordinary High Water on Michigan’s Great Lakes Shorelines Under the Public Trust Doctrine.” Accepted and in-press by Coastal Management, 2011.
- Brown, H. C., Jenkins, L. K., Meadows, G.A., Shuchman, R.A., “BathyBoat: An Autonomous Surface Vessel for Stand Alone Survey and Underwater Vehicle Network Supervision,” Marine Technology Society Journal, Vol 44, No 4, 2010.
- Brown, H. C., Meadows, G.A., Jenkins, L. K., Shuchman, R.A., “Meet the New Autonomous Surface Vessel; Bathy Boat” Marine Technology Reporter Magazine, May 2010
- O’Shea, J.M. and G. Meadows, “Evidence for Early Hunters Beneath the Great Lakes,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 106, no. 25, pp. 10120 – 10123, June, 2009.
- Josberger, E., R. Shuchman, G. Meadows, L. Liversedge and L. Meadows, “Hydrologic Processes at Bering Glacier, and Vitus Lake, Alaska,“ GSA Monograph on Bering Glacier, accepted and in press, 2009.
- Josberger, E., R. Shuchman, G. Meadows, S. Savage and J. Payne “Hydrography and Circulation of Ice-Marginal Lakes at Bering Glacier, Alaska,” Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 547-560, 2006.
- Meadows, L., G. Meadows, A. Troesch, S. Cohen, K.P. Beier, G. Root, O. Griffin, and T. Swean, "Lagrangian Velocity Profiles in the Wake of a High Speed Vessel," Ocean Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 221-242, 1994.
- Meadows, G., R. Moll, T. Johengen, A. Bratkovich, J. Saylor, L. Meadows, and G. Pernie, "Vernal Thermal Fronts in Large Lakes: A Case Study from Lake Michigan," Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol., Vol. 25, pp. 65-68, 1993.
- Schwab, D.J., A.H. Clites, C.R. Murthy, J.E. Sandall, L.A. Meadows and G.A. Meadows, "The Effect of Wind on Transport and Circulation in Lake St. Clair," Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 94, C4, pp. 4947-4958, 1989.
- Meadows, G.A., L.A. Meadows, L. Weishar and L. Fields, "DARTS (Digital Automated Radar Tracking System) Applications to Tidal Inlet Hydrodynamic Studies," Proceedings of Hydrodynamics and Sediment Dynamics of Tidal Inlets, Lecture Notes on Coastal and Estuarine Studies, 29, pp. 169-185, 1988
Audra Morse, PE, BCEE, F.ASCE
- Cloutier, Aimee; Yew, Guo Zheng; Gupta, Siddhartha; Dissanayake, Kalpani; Monaco, Paula; Mengel, Susan; and Morse, Audra. 2018. "Modification and Assessment of a Residential Summer Program for High School Women," Journal of Pre-College Engineering Education Research (J-PEER): Vol. 8: Iss. 2, Article 2. https://doi.org/10.7771/2157-9288.1193
- Christenson, D., Sevanthi, R., Morse, A., Jackson, W. 2018. Assessment of Membrane-Aerated Biological Reactors (MABRs) for integration into space based water recycling system architectures, Gravitational and Space Research, 6(2), 12-27.
- Oates, R.P., Anderson, T.A., Morse, A.N., Montagner, C.C. and Klein, D.M. 2017. Biophysical Viscosity: Thermodynamic Principles of Per Capita Chemical Potentials in Human Populations, ACS Omega, 2(6), pp 2878-2882. 10.1021/acsomega.7b0061
- Lasee, S., Mauricio, J., Thompson, W.A., Karnjanapiboonwong, A., Kasumba, J., Subbiah, S., Morse, A.N., Anderson, T.A. 2017. Microplastics in a Freshwater Environment Receiving Treated Wastewater Effluent, Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management, Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management, 13(3), 528-532.
- Sharifan, H., Madsen, H.T., Morse, A. 2017. High Performance in Power Generation by Pressure-Retarded Osmosis (PRO) from Hyper-Salinity Gradient: Case Study of Hypersaline Lake of Urmia, Iran, Desalination and Water Treatment, 71, p. 302-311. https://doi.org/10.5004/dwt.2017.20555
- Sharifan. H., Klein. D., Morse. A. 2016. UV Filters are an Environmental Threat in the Gulf of Mexico: A Case Study of Texas Coastal Zones. Oceanologia, 58(4), 10.1016/j.oceano.2016.07.002.
- Sharifan. H., Klein. D., Morse. A. 2016. UV Filters Interaction in the Chlorinated Swimming Pool, a New Challenge for Urbanization, a Need for Community Scale Investigations. Journal of Environmental Research. (In Press).
- Breffle, W.S., M. Eiswerth, D. Muralidharan, and J. Thornton. (2015). Understanding how income influences willingness to pay for joint programs: A more equitable value measure for the less wealthy. Ecological Economics 109:17-25.
- Wright, S., D. Muralidharan, A. Mayer, and W.S. Breffle. (2014). Using contingent valuation to estimate the willingness to pay for improved water supplies in rural Ugandan villages. Journal of Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene for Development. Forthcoming.
- Khalyani, A. H., Mayer, A. L., Falkowski, M. J., Muralidharan, D. (2012). "Deforestation and landscape structure changes related to socioeconomic dynamics and climate change in Zagros forests," Journal of Land Use Science.
- Breffle, W. S., Muralidharan, D., Donovan, R. P., Liu, F., Mukherjee, A., Jin, Y. "Socioeconomic Evaluation of the Impact of Natural Resource Stressors on Human-Use Services in the Great Lakes Environment: A Lake Michigan Case Study," Resources Policy.
- Muralidharan, D., and K. C. Knapp (2009), Spatial dynamics of water management in irrigated agriculture, Water Resour. Res., 45, W05411
Jill A. Olin
(graduate student; *undergraduate student)
- Keppeler FW, Junker JR, Shaw MJ, Alford SB, Engel AE, Hooper-Bui LM, Jensen OP, Lamb K, López-Duarte P, Martin CW, McDonald AM, Olin JA, Paterson AT, Polito MJ, Rabalais NN, Roberts BJ, Rossi RE, Swenson EM. (2023). Can created saltmarshes match biodiversity of pre-existing ones across scales? An assessment from microbes to fishes. Ecosphere 14 (3):e4461.
- Saavedra NE, Rush SA, Olin JA, Paterson G. (2023). Resolving resource partitioning among sympatric forage fish: Insights from a multi-tracer approach. Freshwater Biology 68 (2): 288‒300.
- Bopp J, Olin JA, Sclafani M, Peterson B, Frisk MG, Cerrato RM. (2023). Contrasting trophic niche and resource-use dynamics across multiple American horseshoe crab (Limulus polyphemus) populations and age groups. Estuaries & Coasts 46:227‒245.
- Shipley ON, Manlick P, Newsome SD, Newton AH, Camhi M, Matich P, Frisk MG, Henkes GA, LaBelle J, Olin JA. (2022). Energetic consequences of resource use diversity in a marine carnivore. Oecologia 200:65–78.
- Shipley ON, Olin JA, Whiteman JP, Bethea D, Newsome S. (2022). Bulk and amino acid nitrogen isotopes suggest shifting nitrogen balance of pregnant sharks across gestation. Oecologia 199:313–328.
- Blake RM, Olin JA. (2022). Responses to simultaneous anthropogenic and biological stressors were mixed in an experimental saltmarsh ecosystem. Marine Environmental Research 179:105644.
- Keppeler FW, Olin JA, López -Duarte P, Polito M, Hooper-Bui L, Taylor S, Rabalais N, Fodrie J, Roberts B, Turner, RE, Martin CM, Jensen O. (2021). Body size, trophic position, and the coupling of different energy pathways in saltmarshes. Limnology & Oceanography Letters 6:360–368.
- Moyo, S, Bennadji H, Laguaite D, Perez-Umphrey AA, Snider AM, Bonisoli Alquati, A, Olin JA, Stouffer PC, Taylor SS, López-Duarte P, Roberts B, Hooper-Bui L, Polito MJ. (2021). Stable isotope analyses identify trophic niche partitioning between sympatric terrestrial vertebrates in coastal saltmarshes with differing oiling histories. PeerJ 9:e11392.
- *Roose H, Paterson G, Frisk MJ, Cerrato RM, Nitschke P, Olin JA. (2021). Regional variation in mercury bioaccumulation among NW Atlantic Golden (Lopholatilus chamaeleonticeps) and Blueline (Caulolatilus microps) Tilefish. Environmental Pollution 284:117177.
- Shipley ON, Newton AH, Frisk MG, Henkes GA, Walters H, LaBelle J, Hyatt M, Camhi M, Olin JA. (2021). Stable isotope clocks predict migration timing of juvenile sharks into seasonal nursery grounds. Methods in Ecology & Evolution 12:897–908.
- Shipley ON, Kelly J, Bizzarro JJ, Olin JA, Cerrato RM, Power M, Frisk MG (2021). Evolution of Eltonian niches across diverse Rajidae populations. Ecosphere 12 (2):e03368.
- Olin JA, Shipley ON, Cerrato RM, Nitschke P, Magen C, Frisk MG (2020). Separation of realized ecological niche axes among sympatric tilefishes provides insight into potential drivers of co-occurrence in the NW Atlantic. Ecology & Evolution 10:10886–10898.
- Olin JA, Cerrato RM, Nye JA, Sagarese SR, Sclafani M, Zacharias J, Frisk MG (2020). Evidence for ecosystem changes within a temperate lagoon following a hurricane-induced barrier island breach. Estuaries & Coasts 43:1625–1639.
Rebecca G. Ong
- Williams DL, Ong RG, Mullet JE, Hodge DB. Integration of pretreatment with simultaneous counter-current extraction of energy sorghum for high-titer mixed sugar production. Front. Energ. Res. In Press.
- Zhang Y, Oates LG, … and Ong RG. Diverse lignocellulosic feedstocks can achieve high field-scale ethanol yields while providing flexibility for the biorefinery and landscape-level environmental benefits. Glob. Change Biol. Bioenergy (2018). doi:10.1111/gcbb.12533.
- Ong RG, Shinde S, da Costa Sousa L, et al. Pre-senescence harvest of switchgrass inhibits xylose utilization by engineered yeast. Front. Energ. Res. 2018. 6(52).
- Kumar R, Bhagia S, Smith MD, Petridis L, Ong RG, et al. Cellulose-hemicellulose interactions at elevated temperatures increase cellulose recalcitrance to biological conversion. Green Chem. 2018. 20(4):921-934.
- Williams DL, Crowe JD, Ong RG, et al. Water sorption in pretreated grasses as a predictor of enzymatic hydrolysis yields. Bioresource Technol. 2017; 245:242-249.
- Crowe JD, Feringa N, Pattathil S, Merritt B, Foster C, Dines D, Ong RG, Hodge DB. Identification of developmental stage and anatomical fraction contributions to cell wall recalcitrance in switchgrass. Biotechnol. Biofuels 2017; 10:184
- Valli L, Rossi L, Fabbri C, Sibilla F, Gattoni P, Dale BE, Ong RG, Bozzetto S, et al. Greenhouse gas emissions of electricity and biomethane produced using the Biogasdoneright™ system: four case studies from Italy. BioFPR 2017; http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1002/bbb.1789.
- Ong RG, et al. Inhibition of microbial biofuel production in drought-stressed switchgrass hydrolysate. Biotechnol. Biofuels 2016; 9:237.
- Park S-H, Ong RG, & Sticklen M. Strategies for the production of cell wall-deconstructing enzymes in lignocellulosic biomass and their utilization for biofuel production. Plant Biotechnol. J. 2016; 14:1329 1344.
- Serate J, Xie D, …Ong RG, and Zhang YP. Controlling microbial contamination during hydrolysis of AFEX-pretreated corn stover and switchgrass: effects on hydrolysate composition, microbial response and fermentation. Biotechnol. Biofuels 2015; 8(1):1-17.
- Karlen DL, Beeler LW, Ong RG, Dale BE. Balancing energy, conservation, and soil health requirements for plant biomass. J. Soil Water Conserv. 2015; (70); 5:279-287.
- Park, S-H, Mei C, Ong RG, Sticklen M. Lignin Down-regulation of Zea mays via dsRNAi and Klason Lignin Analysis. J. Vis. Exp. 2014; (89):e51340, doi:10.3791/51340.
- Dale BE, Ong RG. Design, implementation, and evaluation of sustainable bioenergy production systems. BioFPR. 2014; 8:487-503
- Dale BE, Anderson JE, …Ong RG, et al. Take a closer look: Biofuels can support environmental, economic and social goals. Environ. Sci. & Technol. 2014; 48:7200-7203.
- Shao Q, Cheng C, Ong RG, Zhu L, Zhao C. Hydrogen peroxide presoaking of bamboo prior to AFEX pretreatment and impact on enzymatic conversion to fermentable sugars. Bioresour. Technol. 2013; 142:26-31.
- Dale BE, Ong RG. Energy, wealth, and human development: Why and how biomass pretreatment research must improve. Biotechnol. Progr. 2012; 28:893-898.
- Park S-H, Mei C, Pauly M, Ong RG, Dale BE, Sabzikar R, Fotoh H, et al. Down-regulation of maize cinnamoyl-CoA reductase via RNAi technology causes brown midrib and improves AFEX-pretreated conversion into fermentable sugars for biofuels. Crop Sci. 2012; 52:2687-2701
- Kim S, Dale BE, Ong RG. An alternative approach to indirect land use change: Allocating greenhouse gas effects among different uses of land. Biomass Bioenerg. 2012; 46:447-452.
- Garlock RJ, Bals B, Jasrotia P, Balan V, Dale BE. Influence of variable species composition on the saccharification of AFEX™ pretreated biomass from unmanaged fields in comparison to corn stover. Biomass Bioenerg. 2012; 37:49-59.
- Garlock RJ, Balan V, Dale BE. Optimization of AFEX™ pretreatment conditions and enzyme mixtures to maximize sugar release from upland and lowland switchgrass. Bioresour. Technol. 2012; 104:757-768.
- Garlock RJ, Wong YS, Balan V, Dale BE. AFEX pretreatment and enzymatic conversion of black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia L.) to soluble sugars. Bioenergy Res. 2012; 5:306-318.
- Garlock RJ, Balan V, Dale BE, Ramesh Pallapolu V, Lee YY, Kim Y, Mosier NS, et al. Comparative material balances around pretreatment technologies for the conversion of switchgrass to soluble sugars. Bioresour. Technol. 2011; 102:11063-11071.
- Falls M, Shi J, Ebrik MA, Redmond T, Yang B, Wyman CE, Garlock R, et al. Investigation of enzyme formulation on pretreated switchgrass. Bioresour. Technol. 2011; 102:11072-11079.
- Shi J, Ebrik MA, Yang B, Garlock RJ, Balan V, Dale BE, Ramesh Pallapolu V, et al. Application of cellulase and hemicellulose to pure xylan, pure cellulose, and switchgrass solids from leading pretreatments. Bioresour. Technol. 2011; 102:11080-11088.
- Kim Y, Mosier NS, Ladisch MR, Ramesh Pallapolu V, Lee YY, Garlock R, Balan V, et al. Comparative study on enzymatic digestibility of switchgrass varieties and harvests processed by leading pretreatment technologies. Bioresour. Technol. 2011; 102:11089-11096.
- Donohoe BS, Vinzant TB, Elander RT, Pallapolu VR, Lee YY, Garlock RJ, Balan V, et al. Surface and ultrastructural characterization of raw and pretreated switchgrass. Bioresour. Technol. 2011; 102:11097-11104.
- Tao L, Aden A, Elander RT, Pallapolu VR, Lee YY, Garlock RJ, Balan V, et al. Process and technoeconomic analysis of leading pretreatment technologies for lignocellulosic ethanol production using switchgrass. Bioresour. Technol. 2011; 102:11105-11114.
- Pallapolu VR, Lee YY, Garlock RJ, Balan V, Dale BE, Kim Y, Mosier NS, et al. Effects of enzyme loading and βglucosidase supplementation on enzymatic hydrolysis of switchgrass processed by leading pretreatment technologies. Bioresour. Technol. 2011; 102:11115-11120
- Garlock RJ, Chundawat SPS, Balan V, Dale BE. Optimizing harvest of corn stover fractions based on overall sugar yields following ammonia fiber expansion pretreatment and enzymatic hydrolysis. Biotechnol. Biofuels 2009; 2:29.
- Ong RG, Chundawat SPS, Hodge DB, Keskar S, Dale BE. Linking Plant Biology and Pretreatment – Understanding the Structure and Organization of the Plant Cell Wall and Interactions with Cellulosic Biofuel Production. In: McCann MC, Buckeridge MS, Carpita NC, eds. Plants and BioEnergy: Springer New York; 2014, p. 231-253.
- Chundawat SPS, Bals B, Campbell T, Sousa L, Gao D, Jin M, Eranki P, Garlock R, et al. Primer on Ammonia Fiber Expansion Pretreatment. In: Wyman CE, ed. Aqueous Pretreatment of Plant Biomass for Biological and Chemical Conversion to Fuels and Chemicals. John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., 2013, p. 169-200.
- Balan V, Bals B, da Costa Sousa L, Garlock R, and Dale BE, A Short Review on Ammonia-based Lignocellulosic Biomass Pretreatment, in Chemical and Biochemical Catalysis for Next Generation Biofuels. 2011, The Royal Society of Chemistry. p. 89-114.
- L N Schaefer, Z Lu, T Oommen (2015) Dramatic volcanic instability revealed by InSAR Geology. doi:10.1130/G36678.1 Read More
- L N Schaefer, J E Kendrick, T Oommen, Y Lavallée, G Chigna (2015) Geomechanical rock properties of a basaltic volcano Frontiers in Earth Science 3: 29. Read More
- D M Smith, T Oommen, L J Bowman, J S Gierke, S Vitton (2015) Hazard assessment of rainfall-induced landslides: A case study of San Vicente Volcano in Central El Salvador. Natural Hazards 75: 3. 2291-2310. Read More
- Zwissler B., Oommen T., and Vitton S. (2014) A study of the impacts of freeze-thaw on cliﬀ recession at the Calvert Cliﬀs in Calvert County, Maryland. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering. 10.1007/s10706-014-9792-1 Read More
- Schaefer L.N., Oommen T., Corazzato C., Tibaldi A. Escobar-Wolf R., and Rose W.I. (2013). An integrated ﬁeld-numerical approach to assess slope stability hazards at volcanoes: the example of Pacaya, Guatemala. Bulletin of Volcanology. Read More
- Oommen T., Baise L.G., Gens R., Prakash A., and Gupta R.P. (2013). Documenting earthquake-induced liquefaction using satellite remote sensing image transformations. Environmental & Engineering Geoscience 19:(3). Read More
- Samui P., Gowda P.H., Oommen T., Howell T.A., and Marek T.H. (2012). Statistical learning algorithms for identifying contrasting tillage practices with Landsat thematic mapper data. International Journal of Remote Sensing 33:(18) 5732-5745. Read More
- T. Oommen, L. G. Baise, R. M. Vogel, "Sampling bias and class imbalance in maximum likelihood logistic regression." Mathematical Geosciences 43: 1. 99-120. 2011 Read More
- Pan, L., and Yoon, R.-H., “Measurement of Hydrophobic Forces in Thin Liquid Films of Water between Bubbles and Xanthate-treated Gold Surfaces”, Miner. Eng., 2016, 98, 240-250.
- Yoon, R.-H., Soni, G., Huang, K., Park, S., and Pan, L., “Development of a turbulent flotation model from first principles and its validation”, Int. J. Miner. Process., 2016, 156, 43-51.
- Pan, L. and Yoon, R.-H., “Direct measurement of hydrodynamic and surface forces in bubble-particle interactions”, in Proceedings of XXVII International Mineral Processing Congress, Chile, 2014, pp. 242-251.
- Pan, L., Jung, S. and Yoon, R.-H., “A fundamental study on the role of collector in the kinetics of bubble-particle interaction,” Int. J. Miner. Process, 2012, 106-109, 37-41.
- Pan, L., Jung, S. and Yoon, R.-H., “Kinetics of thinning of the wetting films formed on the gold surfaces treated with potassium amyl xanthate,” in Separation Technologies, for minerals, coal, and earth resources, edited by C.A. Young, G.H. Luttrell, Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration, 2012, pp.57-64.
- Pan, L., Jung, S. and Yoon, R.-H., “Effect of hydrophobicity on the stability of the wetting films of water formed on gold surfaces,” J. of Colloid and Interface Sci., 2011, 361, 321-330.
- Pan, L. and Yoon, R.-H., “Hydrophobic forces in wetting films of water formed on xanthate‐coated gold surfaces,” Faraday Discuss., 2010, 146, 325-340.
- Saavedra NE., Rush SA., Olin JA., and Paterson G. (2023) Combined tracers reveal the multi-dimensionality of resource partitioning among sympatric forage fish. Freshwater Biology, 68:288-300.
- Diedrich CJ., Gerig BS., and Paterson G. (2022) Spatial comparison of persistent organic pollutants in the Boardman River following impoundment removal and channel restoration. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. 109:977-983.
- Paterson G., De Luca B., Bentzen E., Lasenby DC., Lean DRS., and Hickie BE. (2022). Lacustrine characteristics predict lipid contents of mysid shrimp (Mysis diluviana) populations. Limnologica 92: e125942.
- Roose H., Paterson G., Frisk MG., Cerrato RM., Nitschke P., and Olin JA. (2021). Regional variation in mercury bioaccumulation among NW Atlantic Golden (Lopholatilus chamaleonticeps) and Blueline (Caulolatilus microps) tilefish. Environmental Pollution 284: 117177
- Paterson G., DiPierdomenico LL., and Haffner GD. (2020). Basin specific pollutant profiles define Lake Huron forage fishes. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 39: 1712-1723.
- Hebert CE., Weseloh DVC., Arts MT., de Solla SR., Moore DJ., Paterson G., and Pekarik C. (2020). Trends in herring gull egg quality over four decades reflect ecosystem state. Journal of Great Lakes Research 46:538-548.
- Metcalfe, CD., Helm P., Paterson G., Kaltenecker G., Murray C., M. Nowierski, M., and Sultana T. (2019). Pesticides related to land use in watersheds of the Great Lakes basin. Science of the Total Environment 648: 681-692.
- Li J., Haffner GD., Paterson G., Walters DM., Burtnyk MD., and Drouillard KG. (2018). Importance of growth on mercury and polychlorinated biphenyl accumulation in fish. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 37: 1655-1667.
- McPhedran K., Grgicak-Mannion A., Paterson G., Briggs T., Ciborowski J., Haffner G.D., and Drouillard, K.G. (2017). Assessment of hazard metrics for predicting field benthic invertebrate toxicity in the Detroit River, Ontario, Canada. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Monitoring 13: 410-422.
- Pitt JA., Drouillard KG., and Paterson G. (2017). Polychlorinated biphenyl bioaccumulation patterns among lower Lake Erie trophic level consumers reflect species ecologies. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 98: 65-70.
Judith A. Perlinger
- Zhang, B., Owen, R.C., Perlinger, J.A., Kumar, A., Wu, S., Val Martin, M., Kramer, L., Helmig, D., and Honrath, R.E., A semi-Lagrangian view of ozone production tendency in North American outflow in the summers of 2009 and 2010, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 14, 2267-2287, 2014.
- Rowe, M.D., and Perlinger, J.A., Micrometeorological measurements of hexachlorobenzene and polychlorinated biphenyl compound air-water gas exchange in Lake Superior, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 12, 4607-4617, 2012.
- Nizzetto, L., and Perlinger, J.A., Climatic, biological and land cover controls on the exchange of gas-phase semivolatile chemical pollutants between air and forest canopies, Environ. Sci. Technol., 46, 2699-2707, 2012.
- Rowe, M.D. Fairall, C.W., and Perlinger, J.A., Chemical sensor resolution requirements for near-surface measurements of turbulent fluxes, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 11, 5263-5275, 2011.
- Rowe, M.D., Perlinger, J.A., and Fairall, C.W., A Lagrangian model to predict the modification of near-surface scalar mixing ratios and air–water exchange fluxes in offshore flow, Boundary-Layer Meteorol., 140, 87-103, 2011.
- Nizzetto, L., MacLeod, M., Cabrerizo, A., Dachs, J., Di Guardo, A., Ghirardello, D., Hansen, K.M., Jarvis, A., Lindroth, A., Ludwig, B., Monteith, D., Perlinger, J.A., Scheringer, M., Schwendenmann, L., Semple, K.T., Wick, L.Y., Zhang, G. and Jones, K.C., Past, present and future controls on levels of persistent organic pollutants in the global environment, Environ. Sci. Technol., 44, 6526-6531, 2010.
- Rowe, M.D., and Perlinger, J.A., Performance of a high flow-rate, thermally-extractable diffusion denuder for semivolatile organic chemical atmospheric concentration measurement, Environ. Sci. Technol., 44, 2098-2104, 2010.
- Rowe, M.D., and Perlinger, J.A., Prediction of gas collection efficiency and particle collection artifact for atmospheric semivolatile organic compounds in multicapillary denuders, J. Chromatogr. A, 1217, 256-263, 2010.
- Rowe, M.D., and Perlinger, J.A., Gas-phase cleanup method for analysis of trace atmospheric semivolatile organic compounds by thermal desorption from diffusion denuders, J. Chromatogr. A, 216, 5940-5948, 2009.
- Rowe, M.D., Perlinger, J.A., and Urban, N.R., Modeling contaminant behavior in Lake Superior: A comparison of PCBs, PBDEs, and mercury, In: State of Lake Superior, M. Munawar, I.F. Munawar (Eds.), Ecovision World Monograph Series, Aquatic Ecosystem Health & Management Society, Burlington, Canada, 239-286, 2009.
Nathir A. Rawashdeh
Image Processing & Sensors
- A. Saleem, S. Paheding, N. Rawashdeh, A. Awad and N. Kaur, "A Non-Reference Evaluation of Underwater Image Enhancement Methods Using a New Underwater Image Dataset," in IEEE Access, vol. 11, pp. 10412-10428, 2023, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2023.3240648.
- Abdelal, Q., Assaf, M. N., Al-Rawabdeh, A., Arabasi, S., & Rawashdeh, N. A. (2022). Assessment of Sentinel-2 and Landsat-8 OLI for Small-Scale Inland Water Quality Modeling and Monitoring Based on Handheld Hyperspectral Ground Truthing. Journal of Sensors, 2022.
- AM Atieh, NA Rawashdeh, AN AlHazaa, "Evaluation of surface roughness by image processing of a shot-peened, TIG-welded aluminum 6061-T6 alloy: An experimental case study", Materials, MDPI 2018
- NA Rawashdeh, JM Abu-Khalaf, W Khraisat, SS Al-Hourani, "A visual inspection system of glass ampoule packaging defects: effect of lighting configurations", International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Taylor & Francis 2018.
- N Rawashdeh, M Aladem, S Baek, S Rawashdeh, "Scene Structure Classification as Preprocessing for Feature-Based Visual Odometry", Int. Journal of Passenger Cars, SAE 2018
- NA Rawashdeh, OA Rawashdeh, BH Sababha, "Vision-based sensing of UAV attitude and altitude from downward in-flight images", Journal of Vibr. and Control, SAGE 2015
- N Rawashdeh, D Lau, S Love, K Donohue, "Moiré Analysis for Assessment of Line Registration Quality", Journal of Imaging Science and Technology, SIS&T 2007
- NA Rawashdeh, ST Love, KD Donohue, "Hierarchical Image Segmentation by Structural Content", Journal of Software, Academy Publisher 2008
Autonomous Vehicles & Mobile Robots
- Abu-Alrub, Nader J., and Nathir A. Rawashdeh. "Radar Odometry for Autonomous Ground Vehicles: A Survey of Methods and Datasets." arXiv preprint arXiv:2307.07861 (2023).
- Nathir A. Rawashdeh, Jeremy P. Bos, and Nader J. Abu-Alrub "Camera–Lidar sensor fusion for drivable area detection in winter weather using convolutional neural networks," Optical Engineering 62(3), 031202 (14 October 2022). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.OE.62.3.031202
- Nader J. Abu-Alrub, Albara D. Abu-Shaqra, Nathir A. Rawashdeh, "Compact CNN-based road weather condition detection by grayscale image band for ADAS," Proc. SPIE 12115, Autonomous Systems: Sensors, Processing and Security for Ground, Air, Sea and Space Vehicles and Infrastructure 2022, 121150L (6 June 2022).
- Alireza Mohammadi, Austin Kucharski, Nathir Rawashdeh, "UVC and far-UVC light disinfection ground robot design for sterilizing the Coronavirus on vertical surfaces," Proc. SPIE 12115, Autonomous Systems: Sensors, Processing and Security for Ground, Air, Sea and Space Vehicles and Infrastructure 2022, 1211509 (6 June 2022).
- Albara D. Abu-Shaqra, Nader J. Abu-Alrub, Nathir A. Rawashdeh, "Object detection in degraded LiDAR signals by synthetic snowfall noise for autonomous driving," Proc. SPIE 12115, Autonomous Systems: Sensors, Processing and Security for Ground, Air, Sea and Space Vehicles and Infrastructure 2022, 121150K (6 June 2022).
- NA Rawashdeh, JP Bos, NJ Abu-Alrub, "Drivable path detection using CNN sensor fusion for autonomous driving in the snow", Autonomous Systems: Sensors, Processing, and Security for Vehicles and Infrastructure, SPIE 2021
- N. A. Rawashdeh, H. Alwanni, N. S. Ali, B. Al Afghani, "Control Design of an Office Mail Delivery Robot Based on the Festo Robotino Platform", American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE), North Central Section Spring Conference 2019, Grand Rapids, MI, USA, 2019/3
- NA Rawashdeh, RM Haddad, OA Jadallah, AE To'ma, "A person-following robotic cart controlled via a smartphone application: design and evaluation", International Conference on Research and Education in Mechatronics, IEEE Xplore 2017
- NA Rawashdeh, HT Jasim, "Multi-sensor Input Path Planning for an Autonomous Ground Vehicle", International Symposium on Mechatronics and its Applications, IEEE Xplore 2013
- B. Piechocki, C. Spitzner, N. Karanam, T. Winter, A. Sergeyev, M. Gauthier, N. Rawashdeh,"Operation of a Controllable Force-sensing Industrial Pneumatic Parallel Gripper System", 2022 American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Conference for Industry and Education Collaboration (CIEC), Tempe, AZ Feb. 4-11 2022, ASEE.
- L Salameen, A Estatieh, S Darbisi, T Tutunji, N Rawashdeh, "Interfacing Computing Platforms for Dynamic Control and Identification of an Industrial KUKA Robot Arm", International Conference on Research and Education in Mechatronics, IEEE Xplore 2021
- P. Hazaveh, A. Sergeyev, N. Rawashdeh, "Mechatronics Bachelor Curriculum Development in Light of Industry 4.0 Technology Needs: Contrasting United States and German University Curricula", Conference for Industry and Education Collaboration (CIEC), Tempe, AZ Feb. 4-11 2022, ASEE.
- NA Rawashdeh, TA Tutunji, MB Younis, "Development of a Jordanian-European double degree master program in mechatronics engineering", International Conference on Research and Education in Mechatronics, IEEE Xplore 2014
- N. A. Rawashdeh, M. Loffler-Mang, "Establishment of mechatronics engineering professional groups in Jordan", Europe-Asia Congress on and Research and Education in Mechatronics, IEEE Xplore 2012
- N. Rawashdeh, M. Nazzal, H. Kaylani, H. Loose, "Mechatronics Engineering Curriculum Enhancement at the German Jordanian University", Int. Conf. on Research and Education in Mechatronics (REM), Ostrava, Czech Republic, 2010
Mark Alan Rhodes II
- Rhodes, M, W. Price, and A. Walker. 2021. Geographies of Post-Industrial Place, Memory, and Heritage. Routledge. ISBN: 9780367440909.
- Rhodes, M., C. Quayle, and N. Indish. 2022. “Post-Industrial Barbarians”: Star Trek, the Other, and the Apocalypse. Literary Geographies 8 (1):1-21.
- Rhodes, M. 2021. Cardiff and the Contentious Landscapes of Postindustrial, Urban, and Transnational Memory Work. Fennia: International Journal of Geography 199 (2): 203-225. (OA)
- Rhodes, M. 2021. The Absent Presence of Paul Robeson in Wales: Appropriation and Philosophical Disconnects in the Memorial Landscape. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers. DOI: 10.1111/tran.12442
- Rhodes, M. 2021. The nation, the festival, and institutionalized memory: Transoptic landscapes of the Welsh National Eisteddfod. GeoHumanities. DOI:10.1080/2373566X.2021.1903812
- Rhodes, M. 2021. Dancing around the Subject: Memory Work of Museum Landscapes at the National Waterfront Museum. Professional Geographer.
- Post, C. and M. Rhodes. 2021. Refraining on Necropolitics: Lyrical Geographies of Labor Music. Journal of Cultural Geography.
- Price, W. and M. Rhodes. 2020. Coal Dust in the Wind: Interpreting the Industrial Past of South Wales. Tourism Geographies. DOI: 10.1080/14616688.2020.1801825
- Rhodes, M. 2020. Music Work: Geographies of traditional Cambodian music and state-building under the Khmer Rouge regime. Asia Pacific Viewpoint. DOI: 10.1111/apv.12261
- Rhodes, M. 2020. Landscapes of Multicultural Memory and Heritage in Wales. Focus on Geography 63. DOI:10.21690/foge/2020.63.2p
- Rhodes, M. 2019. Paul Robeson’s Place in YouTube: A social spatial network analysis of representation and audience engagement in digital heritage. Digital Scholarship in the Humanities 34 (1): 174-188. DOI: 10.1093/llc/fqy027
- Rhodes, M. 2018. Exhibiting Memory: Temporary, mobile, and participatory memorialization and the Let Paul Robeson Sing! exhibition. Memory Studies. DOI: 10.1177/1750698018794771
- Hannum, K. and M. Rhodes. 2018. Public art as public pedagogy: Memorial landscapes of the Cambodian genocide. Journal of Cultural Geography 35 (3): 334-361.
- Rhodes, M. 2017. Alternate Pasts, Presents, and Futures in Star Trek: Historical engagement and representation through popular culture. The Geographical Bulletin 58 (1): 29-39.
- Rhodes, M. 2016. Performing History: Remembering Paul Robeson and the Peekskill Riots though Tayo Aluko’s Call Mr. Robeson. Excellence in Performing Arts Research 3 (1): 1-17.
- Tyner, J., M. Rhodes, and S. Kimsroy. 2016. Music, Nature, Power, and Place: An Ecomusicology of Khmer Rouge Songs.GeoHumanities 2 (2): 395-412.
- Rhodes, M. 2016. Placing Paul Robeson in History: Understanding His Philosophical Framework. Journal of Black Studies 47 (3): 235-257.
- Konica, Shabnam, and Trisha Sain. "A reaction-driven evolving network theory coupled with phase-field fracture to model polymer oxidative aging." Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 150 (2021): 104347.
- Ahmed, Hossain, Susanta Ghosh, Trisha Sain, and Sourav Banerjee. "Hybrid Bessel beam and metamaterial lenses for deep laparoscopic nondestructive evaluation." Journal of Applied Physics 129, no. 16 (2021): 165107.
- Konica, Shabnam, and Trisha Sain. "A thermodynamically consistent chemo-mechanically coupled large deformation model for polymer oxidation." Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 137 (2020): 103858.
- Egboiyi, Benedict O., and Trisha Sain. "Effect of Ion-Exchange Chemistry on the Fracture of Chemically Strengthened Sodium Aluminosilicate Glass." In ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, vol. 59469, p. V009T11A058. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2019.
- Imam, Muhammed R., Sain, Trisha, "Effects of Cohesive Interfaces and Polymer Viscoelasticity on Improving Mechanical Properties in an Architectured Composite," International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 159, Mar 2019, pp. 289 – 300. DOI:10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2018.10.008
- S Haldar, T Sain, S Ghosh, "A Novel High Symmetry Interlocking Micro-architecture Design for Polymer Composites with Improved Mechanical Properties," International Journal of Solids and Structures, Oct 2017, Vol 124, pp. 161-175. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2017.06.030 Read More
- B Yeom, T Sain, N Lacevic, D Bukharina, SH Cha, AM Waas, EM Arruda, "Abiotic Tooth Enamel," Nature 543 (7643), pp. 95-98, online March 2017. doi:10.1038/nature21410 Read More
Ashraf I. Saleem
Selected Journal Papers:
- Al Maawali, W., Mesbah, M., Al Maashri, A. and Saleem, A., Design of intelligent thruster decision-making system for USVs. Ocean Engineering, 285, p.115431, 2023.
A. Saleem, S. Paheding, N. Rawashdeh, A. Awad and N. Kaur, "A Non-Reference Evaluation of Underwater Image Enhancement Methods Using a New Underwater Image Dataset," in IEEE Access, vol. 11, pp. 10412-10428, 2023, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2023.3240648.
Mesbah, Mostefa, Muhammad Shafiq, Ashraf Saleem, Hassan Yousef, and Hisham Soliman. "A data-driven controller for position tracking of a long-stroke piezoelectric actuator." Microsystem Technologies 29, no. 2 (2023): 211-221.
Soliman, H.M.; Saleem, A.; Bayoumi, E.H.E.; De Santis, M. Harmonic Distortion Reduction of Transformer-Less Grid-Connected Converters by Ellipsoidal-Based Robust Control. Energies 2023, 16, 1362. doi: 10.3390/en16031362
Mesbah, M., Shafiq, M., Saleem, A. et al. A data-driven controller for position tracking of a long-stroke piezoelectric actuator. Microsyst Technol 29, 211–221 (2023). doi: 10.1007/s00542-022-05407-4.
- Ahmed Al Maashri, Ashraf Saleem, Hadj Bourdoucen, Omer Eldirdiry, Ahmed Al Ghadani, A novel drone-based system for accurate human temperature measurement and disease symptoms detection using thermography and AI, Remote Sensing Applications: Society and Environment, Volume 27, 100787, 2022.
Mohammed Salah and Ashraf Saleem, “Hysteresis compensation-based robust output feedback control for long-stroke piezoelectric actuators at high frequency”, Sensors and Actuators: Physical A, V319 (112542) 2021.
Ashraf Saleem, Mostefa Mesbah, Mohammed Shafiq, “Feedback-feedforward control for high-speed trajectory tracking of an amplified piezoelectric actuator” Smart Mater. Struct. Volume 30, Number 2, 2020.
Hisham M Soliman, Ashraf Saleem, Ellipsoidal design of robust tracking controller for large-stroke piezoelectric actuators, Smart Materials and Structures, Volume 29, Number 7, 2020.
Ashraf Saleem, Ahmed Al Maashri, Muna A. Al-Rahbi, Medhat Awadallah and Hadj Bourdoucen, “Cooperative Cruise Controller For Homogeneous And Heterogeneous Vehicle Platoon System”, International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 1131-1143, 2019.
Hassan A Yousef, Mohamed Hamdy, Ashraf Saleem, Kyrillos Nashed, Mustafa Mesbah, Mohammed Shafiq, “Enhanced L1 adaptive control for a benchmark piezoelectric-actuated system via fuzzy approximation”, International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing, Vol 33, pp. 1329–1343, 2019.
Khurshid Alam, Ahmed Al-Ghaithi, Sujan Piya, Ashraf Saleem, “In-vitro experimental study of histopathology of bone in vibrational drilling”, Medical Engineering & Physics, Vol 67, pp. 78-87, 2019.
Morteza Mohammadzaheri, Mohammadreza Emadi, Mojtaba Ghodsi, Ehsan Jamshidi, Issam Bahadur, Ashraf Saleem, Musaab Zarog, “A variable-resistance digital charge estimator for piezoelectric actuators: An alternative to maximise accuracy and curb voltage drop”, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 30, No. 11, pp. 1699–1705, 2019.
Mohammed Shafiq, Ashraf Saleem, Mostefa Mesbah, “Model-free data driven control for trajectory tracking of an amplified piezoelectric actuator”, Sensors and Actuators: Physical A, Vol. 279, pp. 27–35, 2018.
Ashraf Saleem, Hisham Soliman, Serein Al-Ratrout, Mostefa Mesbah, “Design of fractional order PID controller with application to induction motor drive”, Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Vol. 26, pp. 2768 – 2778 , 2018.
Selected Conference Papers:
Saleem, A., Awad, A., Paheding, S. and Marcarelli, A., Multi-class plant type detection in Great Lakes region using remotely operated vehicle and deep learning. In Pattern Recognition and Tracking XXXIV (Vol. 12527, pp. 34-40). SPIE, 2023.
A. A. Maashri, A. Al Maashri; J. Ghommam; A. Saleem; N. Nasiri; O. Eldirdiry; H. Bourdoucen; G. Al Rawas; A. Al-Kamzari; A. Ammari, "A Multi-Drone System for Oil Spill Detection: A Simulation and Emulation Platform," 2022 22nd International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems (ICCAS), Jeju, Korea, Republic of, 2022, pp. 397-402, doi: 10.23919/ICCAS55662.2022.10003840.
J. Rathbum, A. Sharky, P. Urunkar, A. Saleem and P. Hazaveh, "Developing a Climbing Assistive Exoskeleton*," 2023 Systems and Information Engineering Design Symposium (SIEDS), Charlottesville, VA, USA, 2023, pp. 102-107
Ashraf Saleem, Ahmed Al Maashri, Omer Eldirdiry, Jawhar Ghommam, Hadj Bourdoucen, Amran Al-Kamzari, Ghazi Al Rawas, Ahmed Ammari “Detection of Oil Spill Pollution in Seawater Using Drones: Simulation & Lab-based Experimental Study”, 2021 IEEE International IOT, Electronics and Mechatronics Conference (IEMTRONICS), Canada, 2021.
Mohammad Salah, Ashraf Saleem, Backstepping Position Control of High Frequency Piezoelectric Actuator Used in Ultrasonically Assisted Manufacturing, 4th IEEE Electron Devices Technology & Manufacturing Conference (EDTM), Penang, Malaysia, 2020.
Ashraf Saleem, Khadija Al Jabri, Ahmed Al Maashri, Waleed Al Maawali, Mostafa Mesbah, Obstacle-Avoidance Algorithm Using Deep Learning Based on RGBD Images and Robot Orientation, 7th International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (ICEEE), Antalya, Turkey, 2020.
Ashraf Saleem, Musabah Al Hattali, Mohammed Shafiq, Issam Bahadur, “Precise Tracking Control for Piezoelectric Actuators using Feedforward/Feedback Learning-based Controller”, 6th International Conference on Control, Decision and Information Technologies (CoDIT), Paris, France, April, 2019. (Outcome from grant IG/ENG/ECED/15/01)
Waleed Al Maawali, Ahmed Al Naabi, Majid Al Yaruubi, Ashraf Saleem, Ahmed Al Maashri, “Design and Implementation of an Unmanned Surface Vehicle for Oil Spill Handling”, 1st IEEE International Conference on Unmanned Vehicle Systems-Oman (UVS), 5-7 Feb. 2019
Sarah Fayen Scarlett
Sarah Fayen Scarlett, Company Suburbs: Architecture, Power, and the Transformation of Michigan’s Mining Frontier (Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press, 2021).
- Mark Alan Rhodes II and Sarah Fayen Scarlett, “Post-Industrial Landscapes,” Routledge Companion to the American Landscape, edited by Chris W. Post, Alyson L. Greiner, and Geoffrey L. Buckley (London: Routledge): chapter 27.
- Sarah Fayen Scarlett and Laura Walikainen Rouleau, “Object Lesson: Architecture at Pullman National Monument as Both Agent of Division and Collective Identity,” Buildings & Landscapes 29 no. 2 (2022): 99-117.
- Don Lafreniere, Luke Weidner, Dan Trepal *, Sarah Fayen Scarlett, John D. M. Arnold*, Robert Pastel, and Ryan Williams, “Public Participatory Historical GIS.” Historical Methods: A Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History 52, no. 3 (2019): 132–149. DOI: 10.1080/01615440.2019.1567418
Sarah Fayen Scarlett, Don Lafreniere, Dan Trepal*, John Arnold*, Yichun Xie, “Out of the Classroom and Into History: Mobile Historical GIS and Community-Engaged Teaching,” The History Teacher 53, no. 1 (November 2019): 11–35. http://www.societyforhistoryeducation.org/pdfs/N19_Scarlett_et_al.pdf
Dan Trepal*, Sarah Fayen Scarlett, Don Lafreniere, “Heritage Making through Community Archaeology and the Spatial Humanities,” Journal of Community Archaeology and Heritage 6, no. 4 (August 2019): 238–256. DOI: 10.1080/2051896.2019.1653516
Laura Rouleau, Sarah Fayen Scarlett, Steven A. Walton, and Timothy Scarlett, “Historic Resource Study of Pullman National Monument, Illinois,” Midwest Regional Office of the National Park Service (2019).
Sarah Fayen Scarlett, Don Lafreniere, John D. M. Arnold*, Daniel J. Trepal*, Robert Pastel “Engaging Community and Spatial Humanities for Post-Industrial Heritage: The Keweenaw Time Traveler,” American Quarterly, Special Issue: Toward a Critically Engaged Digital Practice: American Studies and Digital Humanities 70, 3 (September 2018): 619–23. DOI: 10.1353/aq.2018.0043
- "Crossing the Milwaukee River: A Case Study in Mapping Mobility and Class Geographies,” in Landscapes of Mobility: Culture, Politics, and Placemaking, edited by Arijit Sen and Jennifer Johung (Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate, 2013).
“The Cultural Landscapes of Mining in Southwestern Wisconsin,” in From Mining to Farm Fields to Ethnic Communities: Buildings and Landscapes of Southwestern Wisconsin, edited by Anna Vemer Andrzejewski, Arnold R. Alanen, and Sarah Fayen Scarlett, 8–33 (Vernacular Architecture Forum Annual Conference 2012. Madison: Department of Art History and Department of Landscape Architecture, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 2012). Online at: https://uwmadison.app.box.com/s/4iwpf95kwx8rf0wtzywt
- “The Craft of Industrial Patternmaking,” The Journal of Modern Craft 4, 1 (March 2011): 27–48. DOI: 10.2752/174967811X12949160069018
“The Chinese Scholar Pattern: Style, Merchant Identity, and the English Imagination,” Ceramics in America 2011, edited by Robert Hunter (Milwaukee, Wisconsin: Chipstone Foundation, 2011), 1–45. Online at: http://www.chipstone.org/article.php/478/Ceramics-in-America-2011/The-Chinese-Scholar-Pattern:-Style,-Merchant-Identity,-and-the-English-Imagination
- “Tilt-Top Tables and Eighteenth-Century Consumerism,” American Furniture 2003, edited by Luke Beckerdite (Milwaukee, Wisconsin: Chipstone Foundation; Hanover, New Hampshire: University Press of New England, 2003), 95–137. Online at: http://www.chipstone.org/article.php/275/American-Furniture-2003/Tilt-Top-Tables-and-Eighteenth-Century-Consumerism
- Lytle, W., Schelly, C., Floress, K., Shwom, R., Halvorsen, K. (2021) Environmental Decision Making Shaped by the Home: Situating Consumption in the Household Context. Human Ecology Review 26. Read Here.
- Pascaris, A.S., Schelly, C., Burnham, L., Pearce, J. (2021). Integrating Solar Energy with Agriculture: Industry Perspectives on the Market, Community, and Socio-Political Dimensions of Agrivoltaics. Energy Research and Social Sciences 75 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2021.102023.
- Schaefer, M., Olabisi, L.S., Arola, K., Poitra, C.M. Matz, E., Seigel, M., Schelly, C., Adesanya, A., Bessette, D. (2021). Understanding Socio-Technological Systems Change through an Indigenous Community-Based Participatory Framework. Sustainability 13. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13042257
- Kliskey, A., Williams, P., Griffith, D., Dale, V.H., Schelly, C., Marshall, A.-M., Gagnon, V., Eaton, W., Floress, K. (2021). Thinking big and thinking small: A conceptual framework for best practices in community and stakeholder engagement in food, energy, and water systems. Sustainability 13 https://doi.org/10.3390/su13042160
- Schelly, C., Lee, D., Matz, E., Pearce, J.M. (2021). Applying a Relationally and Socially Embedded Decision Framework to Solar Photovoltaic Adoption: A Conceptual Exploration. Sustainability 13(2), 711; https://doi.org/10.3390/su13020711
- Lytle, W.; T.K. Meyer; N.G. Tanikella; L. Burnham; J. Engel; C. Schelly; J.M. Pearce. (2021) Conceptual Design and Rationale for a New Agrivoltaics Concept: Pastured-Raised Rabbits and Solar Farming. Journal of Cleaner Production. 282: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.124476
- Pascaris, A.S., Schelly, C., Pearce, J.M. (2020). A First Investigation of Agriculture Sector Perspectives on the Opportunities and Barriers for Agrivoltaics. Agronomy 10, 1885. doi:10.3390/agronomy10121885
- Schelly, C., Prehoda, E., Price, J., Delach, A., Thapaliya, R. (2020) Ratepayer Perspectives on Mid- to Large-Scale Solar Development on Long Island, NY: Lessons for Reducing Siting Conflict through Supported Development Types. Energies 13 doi:10.3390/en13215628
- Schelly, C., Bessette, D., Brosemer, K., Gagnon, V., Arola, K., Fiss, A., Pearce, J.M., Halvorsen, K.E. (2020). Energy Policy for Energy Sovereignty: Can policy tools enhance energy sovereignty? Solar Energy 205: 109-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2020.05.056
- Adesanya, A., Sidortsov, R. Schelly, C. (2020). Act locally, transition globally: Grassroots resilience, local politics, and five municipalities in the United States with 100% renewable electricity. Energy Research and Social Science (67). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2020.101579
David R. Shonnard
- Allen, D.T. and Shonnard, D.R. (and other contributors), “Green Engineering: Environmentally Conscious Design of Chemical Processes, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2002, pp. 552, ISBN 0-13-061908-6.
- Allen, D.T., and Shonnard, D.R., “Sustainable Engineering: Concepts, Design, and Case Studies”, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2012, pp 223.
- Allen, D.T., Shonnard, D.R., Huang, Y., Schuster, D. 2016, Green Engineering Education in Chemical Engineering Curricula: A Quarter Century of Progress and Prospects for Future Transformations, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 4 (11), pp 5850–585410.1021/acssuschemeng.6b01443.
- Allen, D.T., Shonnard, D.R., (2012), Sustainability in chemical engineering education: Identifying a core body of knowledge, AIChE Journal, 58(8), 2296-2302, August 2012.
- Shonnard, D.R., Allen, D.T., Nguyen, N., and Austin, S., 2003, Green Engineering Education Through a US EPA/Academia Collaboration,Environmental Science and Technology, 37(23), 5253-5462.
- Shonnard, D.R., Fisher, E.R., and Caspary, D., 2003, Integrated Bioprocess Experiments for the Senior Laboratory: Fermentation for L-Lysine Production, Chemical Engineering Education, 37(4),262-267.
- Shonnard, D.R., Allen, D.T., Weil-Austin. S.A., Nguyen, N., 2003, US EPA/academia collaboration for a Green Engineering textbook for Chemical Engineering, Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 5(4-3), 226-231.
- Allen, D.T. and Shonnard, D.R., 2001, Green engineering: Environmentally conscious design of chemical processes and products, AIChE Journal,47(9), 1906-1910.
- Shonnard, D.R. and Deshpande, P.A., 2001, Column transport experiments for dissolved pollutants and colloids, Chemical Engineering Education,35(3), 222-228.
- Chaudhari, U., Johnson, A., Reck, B., Handler, R., Thompson, V., Hartley, D., Young, W., Peralta, A., Watkins, D. Shonnard, D.R., Material Flow Analysis and LCA of Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) and Polyolefin Plastics Supply Chains in the United States, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, published, September 22, 2022.
- Shonnard, D.R., Bakshi, B., 2022, Virtual special issue on the circular economy of plastics, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 10, 12475-12476 10.1021/acssuschemeng.2c05118
- Schaerer, L.G., Wu, R., Putman, L.I., Pearce, J.M., Lu, T., Shonnard, D.R., Ong, R.G., Techtmann, S.M., Killing Two Birds with One Stone: Biochemical Upcycling of Plastics into Food, Trends in Biotechnology, published Sept. 1, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tibtech.2022.06.012
- Zolghadr, Ali, Kulas, Daniel, Shonnard, D.R., Evaluation of pyrolysis wax as a solvent in polyolefin pyrolysis processing, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, published online, July 20, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.2c01493.
- Kulas, Daniel, Zolghadr, Ali, Shonnard, D.R., Liquid-Fed Waste Plastic Pyrolysis Pilot Plant: Effect of Reactor Volume on Product Yields, Journal of Applied and Analytical Pyrolysis, published online, June 27, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaap.2022.105601 .
- Byrne, E.R., Schaerer, L.G., Kulas, D.G., Ankathi, S.K., Putman, L.I., Codere, K.R., Schum, S.K., Shonnard, D.R., Techtmann, S.M., Pyrolysis-Aided Microbial Biodegradation of High-Density Polyethylene Plastic in Environmental Inocula Enrichment Cultures, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 2022, 10, 6, 2022-2033, Jan. 31, 2022.
- Zolghadr, A., Foroozandehfar, A., Kulas, D.G., Shonnard, D.R. (2021) Study of the Viscosity and Thermal Characteristics of Polyolefins/Solvent Mixtures: Applications for Plastic Pyrolysis, ACS Omega, 6 (48), 32832–32840, Nov. 19, 2021.
- Kulas, D.G., Zolghadr, A., Shonnard, D.R., (2021) Micropyrolysis of Polyethylene and Polypropylene Prior to Bioconversion: The Effect of Reactor Temperature and Vapor Residence Time on Product Distribution, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 9 (43), 14443–14450, Oct. 22, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1021/acssuschemeng.1c04705
- Ankathi, S.K., Watkins, D., Sreedhara, P., Zuhlke, J., Shonnard, D.R., GIS-integrated optimization for locating food waste and manure anaerobic co-digestion facilities, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 9, 4024-4032.
- Chaudhari, U., Lin, Y., Thompson, V., Handler, R, Pearce, J., Caneba, G., Muhuri, P., Watkins, D., Shonnard, D., 2021, Systems Analysis Approach to PET and Olefin Plastics Supply Chains in the Circular Economy: A Review of Datasets and Models, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 9, 22, 7403–7421, https://doi.org/10.1021/acssuschemeng.0c08622.
- Kulas, D., Thies, M., Shonnard, D., Techno-Economic Analysis and Life Cycle Assessment of Waste Lignin Fractionation and Valorization using the ALPHA Process, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 2021 9 (15), 5388-5395, DOI: 10.1021/acssuschemeng.1c00267.
- Bhavik R. Bakshi, David Shonnard, and David T. Allen, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering Invites Contributions to a Virtual Special Issue on The Circular Economy of Plastics, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 2021 9 (4), 1425-1426, DOI: 10.1021/acssuschemeng.1c00209
- U. Diwekar, A. Amekudzi-Kennedy, B. Bakshi, R. Baumgartner, R. Boumans, P. Burger, H. Cabezas, M. Egler, J. Farley, B. Fath, T. Gleason, Y. Huang, A. Karunanithi, V. Khanna, A. Mangan, A. L. Mayer, R. Mukherjee, G. Mullally, V. Rico-Ramirez, D. Shonnard, M. Svanström, and T. Theis, 2020, A Perspective on the Role of Uncertainty in Sustainability Science and Engineering, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 164, 105140.
- Shonnard, D.R., Winjobi, O., Kulas, D., Chapter 2. Fast Pyrolysis for Biofuel Production, Saffron, C. (ed.), Achieving carbon-negative bioenergy systems from plant materials, Burleigh Dodds Science Publishing, Cambridge, UK, 2020, p.43-p.70, ISBN: 978 1 78676 252 8
- Russell, J.M.; Gracida-Alvarez, U. R.; Winjobi, O.; Shonnard, D. (2020) Update to “Effect of Temperature and Vapor Residence Time on the Micropyrolysis Products of Waste High Density Polyethylene”. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 59, 10716-10719.
- Gracida-Alvarez, U. R.; Winjobi, O.; Sacramento-Rivero, J.; Shonnard, D. (2019) Systems Analyses of High-Value Chemicals and Fuels from a Waste High-Density Polyethylene Refinery. Part 1: Conceptual Design and Techno-Economic Assessment. ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 7 (22), 18254-18266, DOI: 10.1021/acssuschemeng.9b04763.
- Gracida-Alvarez, U. R.; Winjobi, O.; Sacramento-Rivero, J. C.; Shonnard, D. R. (2019) Systems Analysis of High-Value Chemicals and Fuels from a Waste High-Density Polyethylene Refinery. Part 2: Carbon Footprint Analysis and Regional Electricity Effects. ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 7 (22), 18267-18278, DOI: 10.1021/acssuschemeng.9b04764.
- Ankathi, S.K., Zhou, W., Webber, J.B.W., Patil, R., Chaudhari, U., Shonnard, D.R. (2019) Synergistic effects between hydrolysis time and microporous structure in poplar, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 7, 12920-12929.
- Shonnard, D.R., Tipaldo, E., Thompson, V., Pearce, J., Caneba, G., Handler, R.M., 2019, Systems analysis for PET and olefin polymers in a circular economy, Procedia CIRP, 80, 602-606, 26th CIRP Life Cycle Engineering (LCE) Conference.
- Rui Shi, David W. Archer, Krishna Pokharel, Matthew Pearlson, Kristin C. Lewis, Suchada Ukaew, and David R. Shonnard (2019) A Life Cycle Analysis of Hydrotreated Renewable Jet Fuel (HRJ) from Oilseed Feedstocks Replacing Fallow in the U.S Northern Great Plains, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 7 (23), 18753-18764, DOI: 10.1021/acssuschemeng.9b02150.
- Ko, S., Lautala, P., Fan, J., Shonnard, D.R., (2019), Economic, Social and Environmental Cost Optimization of Biomass Transportation: A Regional Model for Transportation Analysis in Plant Location Process, BioFPR, 13:582-598, DOI: 10.1002/bbb.1967.
- Shi, R., Shonnard, D.R., Handler, R.M., (2019), Life cycle assessment of novel technologies for algae harvesting and oil extraction in the renewable diesel pathway, Algal Research, 37, 248-259.
- Handler, R.M., Shonnard, D.R., (2018) Environmental life cycle assessment of methane biocatalysis: Key considerations and potential impacts, chapter in Methane Biocatalysis: Paving the Way to Sustainability, Ed. Marina Kalyuzhnaya and Xin-Hui Xing, Springer Nature, June, 2018, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-74866-5_16.
- Funkenbusch, L., Mullins, M.E., Vamling, L., Belkhieri, T., Srettiwat, N., Winjobi, O., Shonnard, D.R., and Rogers, T. (2019), "Technoeconomic Assessment of Hydrothermal Liquefaction Oil from Lignin with Catalytic Upgrading for Renewable Fuel and Chemical Production." Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment: (Published Online, July 2018) DOI: 10.1002/wene.319.
- Winjobi, O., Tavakoli, H., Klemetsrud, B., Handler, R.M., Marker, T., Roberts, M., Shonnard, D.R., (2018), Carbon Footprint Analysis of Gasoline and Diesel from Forest Residues and Algae using Integrated Hydroyrolysis and Hydroconversion Plus Fisher Tropsch (IH2® Plus Cool GTL™), ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 6(8), 10766-10777, DOI: 10.1021/acssuschemeng.8b02091.
- Ankathi, S.K., Long, D.S., Gollany, H.T., Das, P., Shonnard, D.R., (2019) Life cycle assessment of oilseed crops produced in rotation with dryland cereals in the inland Pacific Northwest, The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 24, 627-641, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11367-018-1488-y .
- Hungwe, Kedmon N., and David Shonnard. 2018. "Supporting Curriculum Reform in Science Education." The International Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Learning 25 (1): 23-35. doi:10.18848/2327-7971/CGP/v25i01/23-35
- Kulas, D. Winjobi, O., Zhou, W., Shonnard, D.R. (2018), Effects of Co-product Uses on Environmental and Economic Sustainability of Hydrocarbon Biofuel from One- and Two-Step Pyrolysis of Poplar, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 6 (5), pp 5969–5980, DOI: 10.1021/acssuschemeng.7b04390
- Gracida-Alvarez, U.R., Mitchell, M.K., Sacramento-Rivero, J.C., Shonnard, D.R. (2018) Effect of Temperature and Vapor Residence Time on the Micropyrolysis Products of Waste High Density Polyethylene, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 57 (6), pp 1912–1923, DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.7b04362.
- Ukaew, S; Klemetsrud, B.; Schoenborn, J; Shonnard, D; (2018) Effects of torrefaction temperature and acid pretreatment on the yield and quality of fast pyrolysis bio-oil from rice straw, Journal of Applied and Analytical Pyrolysis, 129, January 2018, 112-122, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaap.2017.11.021.
- Klemetsrud B., Klinger J., Bar Ziv B., Shonnard D., (2017) A kinetic study of the fast micro-pyrolysis of hybrid poplar, Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 128 (C), November 2017, 353-362, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaap.2017.09.014
- Ankathi, S.K., Potter, J., Shonnard, D.R., (2018) Carbon Footprint and Energy Analysis of Bio-CH4 from a Mixture of Food Waste and Dairy Manure in Denver, CO, Environmental Progress / Sustainable Energy, 37(3), 1101-1111, DOI 10.1002/ep.12762.
- Handler, R., Shi, R., Shonnard, D.R., 2017, Land-use Change Implications for Large-scale Cultivation of Algae Feedstocks in the United States Gulf Coast, Journal of Cleaner Production, 153, 15-25.
- Shi, R., Ukaew, S., Archer, D.W., Pearlson, M., Lewis, K.C., Shonnard, D.R., 2017, Life Cycle Water Footprint Analysis for Rapeseed Derived Jet Fuel in North Dakota, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 5, 3845-3854.
- Klemetsrud, B., Eatherton, D., Shonnard, D.R., 2017, Effects of lignin content and temperature on the properties of hybrid poplar bio-oil, char, and gas obtained by fast pyrolysis, Energy & Fuels, 31, 2879-2886.
- Winjobi, O., Zhou, W., Kulas, D., Nowicki, J., Shonnard, D.R., (2017) Production of hydrocarbon fuel using two-step torrefaction and fast pyrolysis of pine. Part 2: Life-cycle carbon footprint, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 5 (6), pp 4541–4551 DOI: 10.1021/acssuschemeng.7b00373.
- Winjobi, O., Shonnard, D.R., Zhou, W., (2017) Production of hydrocarbon fuel using two-step torrefaction and fast pyrolysis of pine. Part 1: Techno-economic analysis, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 5 (6), pp 4529–4540 DOI: 10.1021/acssuschemeng.7b00372.
- Teotia S, Wang X, Zhou N, Wang M, Liu H, Qin J, Han D, Li C, Li CE, Pan S, Tang H, Kang W, Zhang Z, Tang X, Peng T, Tang G. (2023) A high-efficiency gene silencing in plants using two-hit asymmetrical artificial MicroRNAs. Plant Biotechnol J. 2023 Jul 1. doi: 10.1111/pbi.14091. Online ahead of print.PMID: 37392408 Free article.
- Xu C, Zhang Z, He J, Bai Y, Cui J, Liu L, Tang J, Tang G, Chen X, Mo B.(2023) The DEAD-box helicase RCF1 plays roles in miRNA biogenesis and RNA splicing in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2023 Jul 6. doi: 10.1111/tpj.16366. Online ahead of print.PMID: 37415266
- Li J, Cao Y, Zhang J, Zhu C, Tang G, Yan J. (2023) The miR165/166-PHABULOSA module promotes thermotolerance by transcriptionally and post-translationally regulating HSFA1. Plant Cell. 2023 May 3:koad121. doi: 10.1093/plcell/koad121. Online ahead of print.PMID: 3713247
- . Plant Communications. 2023/4/20
- An updated nomenclature for plant ribosomal protein genes. Plant Cell. 2022 Nov 25:koac333. doi: 10.1093/plcell/koac333. Online ahead of print.
- Ting Lan, Xiaoyu Yang, Jiwei Chen, Peng Tian, Lina Shi, Yu Yu, Lin Liu, Lei Gao, Beixin Mo, Xuemei Chen, Guiliang Tang (2022) Mechanism for the genomic and functional evolution of the MIR2118 family in the grass lineage. New Phytologist 233 (4), 1915-1930
- Ting Lan, Wei Xiong, Xuemei Chen, Beixin Mo, Guiliang Tang (2022) Plant cytoplasmic ribosomal proteins: an update on classification, nomenclature, evolution and resources. The Plant Journal doi: 10.1111/tpj.15667
- Guiliang Tang, Sachin Teotia, Xiaoqing Tang, Deepali Singh (2021) RNA-Based Technologies for Functional Genomics in Plants. Springer (Book Editor).
- Jiwei Chen, Sachin Teotia, Ting Lan, Guiliang Tang (2021) MicroRNA Techniques: Valuable Tools for Agronomic Trait Analyses and Breeding in Rice. Frontiers in Plant Science, 1929
- T Yang, Y Wang, H Liu, W Zhang, M Chai, G Tang, Z Zhang (2020) MicroRNA1917-CTR1-LIKE PROTEIN KINASE 4 impacts fruit development via tuning ethylene synthesis and response. Plant Science 291, 110334
- S Teotia, D Singh, G Tang (2020) Technologies to Address Plant microRNA Functions. Plant microRNAs (Book), Springer, Cham pp25-43
- W Liu, Y Mao, J Schoenborn, Z Wang, G Tang, X Tang (2019) Whole blueberry protects pancreatic beta-cells in diet-induced obese mouse. Nutrition & metabolism 16 (1), 1-9
- T Peng, S Teotia, G Tang, Q Zhao (2019) MicroRNAs meet with quantitative trait loci: Small powerful players in regulating quantitative yield traits in rice. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: RNA 10 (6), e1556
- G Tang (2019) Modulating Plant MicroRNAs by Short tandem Target Mimic (STTM) For Crop Improvement. PAG ASIA 2019 (Conference)
- Z Zhang, S Teotia, J Tang, G Tang (2019) Perspectives on microRNAs and phased small interfering RNAs in maize (Zea mays L.): functions and big impact on agronomic traits enhancement. Plants 8 (6), 170
- Y Wang, Z Wang, W Yang, X Xie, H Cheng, L Qin, G Tang, B Huang (2019) Degradation of fungal microRNAs triggered by short tandem target mimics is via the small-RNA-degrading nuclease. Applied and environmental microbiology 85 (9)
- Ya‐Fan Zhao, Ting Peng, Hong‐Zheng Sun, Sachin Teotia, Hui‐Li Wen, Yan‐Xiu Du, Jing Zhang, Jun‐Zhou Li, Guiliang Tang, Hong‐Wei Xue, Quan‐Zhi Zhao (2019) miR1432‐OsACOT (Acyl‐CoA thioesterase) module determines grain yield via enhancing grain filling rate in rice. Plant biotechnology journal 17 (4), 712-723
- T Yang, Y Wang, S Teotia, Z Wang, C Shi, H Sun, Y Gu, Z Zhang, G Tang (2019) The interaction between miR160 and miR165/166 in the control of leaf development and drought tolerance in Arabidopsis. Scientific reports 9 (1), 1-13
- Peng T, Qiao M, Liu H, Teotia S, Zhang Z, Zhao Y, Wang B, Zhao D, Shi L, Zhang C, Le B, Rogers K, Gunasekara C, Duan H, Gu Y, Tian L, Nie J, Qi J, Meng F, Huang L, Chen Q, Wang Z, Tang J, Tang X, Wei H, Chen X, Zhao Q, Tang G. (2018) A Resource for Inactivation of microRNAs Using Short Tandem Target Mimic Technology in Model and Crop Plants. Mol Plant. 11(11): 1400-1417.
- Ya‐Fan Zhao, Ting Peng, Hong‐Zheng Sun, Sachin Teotia, Hui‐Li Wen, Yan‐Xiu Du, Jing Zhang, Jun‐Zhou Li, Gui-liang Tang, Hong‐Wei Xue, Quan‐Zhi Zhao. (2018) miR1432‐OsACOT (Acyl‐CoA thioesterase) module determines grain yield via enhancing grain filling rate in rice. Plant biotechnology journal doi: 10.1111/pbi.13009. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lei Tian, Haiping Liu, Ligang Ren, Lixia Ku, Liuji Wu, Mingna Li, Shunxi Wang, Jinlong Zhou, Xiaoheng Song, Jun Zhang, Dandan Dou, Huafeng Liu, Guiliang Tang, Yanhui Chen. (2018) MicroRNA 399 as a potential integrator of photo-response, phosphate homeostasis, and sucrose signaling under long day condition. BMC plant biology 18 (1), 290.
- Chao Song, Xiao-Huang Qin, Qiao Zhou, Zi-Yang Wang, Wei-He Liu, Jun Li, Lan Huang, Yang Chen, Guiliang Tang, Dong-Jie Zhao, Zhong-Yi Wang. (2018) PlantES: A Plant Electrophysiological Multi-Source Data Online Analysis and Sharing Platform. Applied Sciences 8 (11), 2269.
- Wang Y, Shi C, Yang T, Zhao L, Chen J, Zhang N, Ren Y, Tang G, Cui D, Chen F. (2018) High-throughput sequencing revealed that microRNAs were involved in the development of superior and inferior grains in bread wheat. Sci Rep. 14;8(1): 13854.
- Yang, T., Wang, Y., Teotia, S., Zhang, Z., & Tang, G. (2018). The making of leaves: how small RNA networks modulate leaf development. Frontiers in plant science, 9, 824. Read More
- Liu, H., Yu, H., Tang, G., & Huang, T. (2018). Small but powerful: function of microRNAs in plant development. Plant cell reports, 1-14. Ream More
- Zhao, Y., Wen, H., Teotia, S., Du, Y., Zhang, J., Li, J., ... & Zhao, Q. (2017). Suppression of microRNA159 impacts multiple agronomic traits in rice (Oryza sativa L.). BMC plant biology, 17(1), 215. Read More
- Teotia, S., Zhang, D., & Tang, G. (2017). Knockdown of Rice microRNA166 by Short Tandem Target Mimic (STTM). In Functional Genomics (pp. 337-349). Humana Press, New York, NY. Read More
- Tian, B., Wang, S., Todd, T. C., Johnson, C. D., Tang, G., & Trick, H. N. (2017). Genome-wide identification of soybean microRNA responsive to soybean cyst nematodes infection by deep sequencing. BMC genomics, 18(1), 572. Read More
- Teotia, S., & Tang, G. (2017). Silencing of Stress-Regulated miRNAs in Plants by Short Tandem Target Mimic (STTM) Approach. In Plant Stress Tolerance (pp. 337-348). Humana Press, New York, NY. Read More
- Yang M, Li C, Cai Z, Hu Y, Nolan T, Yu F, Yin Y, Xie Q, Tang G, Wang X. (2017) SINAT E3 Ligases Control the Light-Mediated Stability of the Brassinosteroid-Activated Transcription Factor BES1 in Arabidopsis. Dev Cell . 41(1): 47-58. DOI:10.1016/j.devcel.2017.03.014. Read More
- Zhang Z, Hu F, Sung MW, Shu C, Castillo-González C, Koiwa H, Tang G, Dickman M, Li P, Zhang X (2017) RISC-Interacting Clearing 3'- 5' Exoribonucleases (RICEs) degrade uridylated cleavage fragments to maintain functional RISC in Arabidopsis. Elife DOI:10.7554/eLife.24466. Read More
- Zhang H, Zhang J, Yan J, Gou F, Mao Y, Tang G, Botella JR, Jian-Kang Zhu (2017) Short tandem target mimic rice lines uncover functions of miRNAs in regulating important agronomic traits. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. DOI:10.1073/pnas.1703752114. Read More
- Wanzhen LI, Yulong WANG, Jianyu ZHU, Zhangxun WANG, Guiliang TANG, Bo HUANG (2017)Differential DNA methylation may contribute to temporal and spatial regulation of gene expression and the development of mycelia and conidia in entomopathogenic fungus Metarhizium robertsii. Fungal Biology (Online) Read More
- Jun Yan, Chunzhao Zhao, Jianping Zhou, Yu Yang, Pengcheng Wang, Xiaohong Zhu, Guiliang Tang, Ray A. Bressan, Jian-Kang Zhu (2016) The miR165/166 Mediated Regulatory Module Plays Critical Roles in ABA Homeostasis and Response in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plos Genetics DOI:10.1371/journal.pgen.1006416. Read More
- Yang Chen, Dong-Jie Zhao, Zi-Yang Wang, Zhong-Yi Wang, Guiliang Tang, and Lan Huang (2016) Plant Electrical Signal Classification Based on Waveform Similarity. Algorithms 9(4), 70. Read More
- Lina Shi, Xiaoqing Tang, Guiliang Tang (2016) GUIDE-seq to Detect Genome-wide Double-Stranded Breaks in Plants. Trends in Plant Science 21(10): 815-818. Read More
- Sachin Teotia, Deepali Singh, Xiaoqing Tang, Guiliang Tang (2016) Essential RNA-Based Technologies and Their Applications in Plant Functional Genomics. Trends in Biotechnology. 34(2):106-23. Read More
- Wu X, Ding D, Shi C, Xue Y, Zhang Z, Tang G, Tang J. (2016) microRNA-dependent gene regulatory networks in maize leaf senescence. BMC Plant Biol. 16:73. doi: 10.1186/s12870-016-0755-y. Read More
- Wang X, Chen L, Jin H, Wang S, Zhang Y, Tang X, Tang G (2016) Screening miRNAs for early diagnosis of colorectal cancer by small RNA deep sequencing and evaluation in a Chinese patient population. OncoTargets and Therapy. 9: 1159-1166. Read More
- Zhang Z, Wu X, Shi C, Wang R, Li S, Wang Z, Liu Z, Xue Y, Tang G, Tang J. (2016) Genetic dissection of the maize kernel development process via conditional QTL mapping for three developing kernel-related traits in an immortalized F2 population. Mol Genet Genomics. 291(1):437-54. Read More
- Chi M, Bhagwat B, Tang G, Xiang Y. (2016) Knockdown of Polyphenol Oxidase Gene Expression in Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) with Artificial MicroRNAs. Methods Mol Biol. 1405:163-78. Read More
- Bhagwat B, Chi M, Han D, Tang H, Tang G, Xiang Y. (2016) Design, Construction, and Validation of Artificial MicroRNA Vectors Using Agrobacterium-Mediated Transient Expression System. Methods Mol Biol. 1405:149-62. Read More
- Sachin Teotia and Guiliang Tang (2015) To bloom or not to bloom: Role of microRNAs in plant flowering. Molecular Plant 8(3): 359-377 (Highly Cited) Read More
- Xiaoyun Jia, Na Ding, Weixin Fan, Jun Yan, Yiyou Gu, Xiaoqing Tang, Runzhi Li, Guiliang Tang (2015) Functional plasticity of miR165/166 in plant development revealed by small tandem target mimic. Plant Science, 233: 11-21. Read More
- Zhenying Cai, Jingjing Liu, Haijiao Wang, Cangjing Yang, Yuxiao Chen, Yongchi Li, Shanjin Pan, Rui Dong, Guiliang Tang, Juan de Dios Barajas-Lopez, Hiroaki Fujii, and Xuelu Wang (2014) GSK3-like kinases positively modulate abscisic acid signaling through phosphorylating subgroup III SnRK2s in Arabidopsis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 111(26): 9651-6 Read More
- Peng T, Sun H, Qiao M, Zhao Y, Du Y, Zhang J, Li J, Tang G, Zhao Q. (2014) Differentially expressed microRNA cohorts in seed development may contribute to poor grain filling of inferior spikelets in rice. BMC Plant Biol. 2014 Jul 23;14(1):196. Read More
- James Wong, Lei Gao, Yang Yang, Jixian Zhai, Siwaret Arikit, Yu Yu, Shuyi Duan, Vicky Chan, Qin Xiong, Jun Yan, Shengben Li, Renyi Liu, Yuanchao Wang, Guiliang Tang, Blake C. Meyers, Xuemei Chen and Wenbo Ma (2014) Roles of Small RNAs in Soybean Defense against Phytophthora sojae Infection. Plant J. 2014 Jun 18. doi: 10.1111/tpj.12590. [Epub ahead of print] Read More
- Chi M, Bhagwat B, Lane WD, Tang G, Su Y, Sun R, Oomah BD, Wiersma PA, Xiang Y. (2014) Reduced polyphenol oxidase gene expression and enzymatic browning in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) with artificial microRNAs. BMC Plant Biol. 11;14(1):62. Read More
- Tang G and Tang X. (2013) Short Tandem Target Mimic: A Long Journey to the Engineered Molecular Landmine for Selective Destruction/Blockage of microRNAs in Plants and Animals. Journal of Genetics and Genomics. 40 (6): 291–296. Read More
- Bhagwata B, Chia M, Su L, Tang H, Tang G., Xiang Y. (2013) An in vivo Transient Expression System Can Be Applied for Rapid and Effective Selection of Artificial microRNA Constructs for Plant Stable Genetic Transformation. Journal of Genetics and Genomics. 40(5): 261-70. Read More
- Tang G, Yan J, Gu Y, Qiao M, Fan R, Mao Y, Tang X*. (2012) Construction of short tandem target mimic (STTM) to block the functions of plant and animal microRNAs. Methods 58(2):118-25.(*Corresponding authors) Read More
- Yan J, Gu Y, Jia X, Kang W, Pan S, Tang X, Chen X, Tang G. (2012) Effective small RNA destruction by the expression of a short tandem target mimic in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 24(2):415-27. (Highly Cited)
- Lewis RW, Tang G, McNear DH Jr. (2012) Morphological and genetic changes induced by excess Zn in roots of Medicago truncatula A17 and a Zn accumulating mutant. BMC Res Notes. 5(1):657 Read More
- Ren L. and Tang G. (2012) Identification of sucrose-responsive microRNAs reveals sucrose-regulated copper accumulations in an SPL7-dependent and independent manner in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Science, 187: 59-68 Read More
- Dianwei Han, Jun Zhang, and Guiliang Tang (2012) MicroRNAfold: pre-microRNA secondary structure prediction based on Modified NCM model with thermodynamics-based scoring strategy. International Journal of Data Mining and Bioinformatics 6(3):272-91 Read More
- Iyer NJ, Jia X, Sunkar R, Tang G, Mahalingam R. (2012) microRNAs responsive to ozone-induced oxidative stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Signal Behav 7(4):484 - 491. Read More
- Lijuan Ji, Xigang Liu, Jun Yan, Wenming Wang, Rae Eden Yumul, Yu Ju Kim, Thanh Theresa Dinh, Jun Liu, Xia Cui, Binglian Zheng, Manu Agarwal, Chunyan Liu, Xiaofeng Cao, Guiliang Tang, and Xuemei Chen* (2011) ARGONAUTE10 and ARGONAUTE1 Regulate the Termination of Floral Stem Cells through Two microRNAs in Arabidopsis. PLoS Genet. 7(3):e1001358. Epub 2011 Mar 31. Read More
- Xiaoyun Jia, Jun Yan, and Guiliang Tang (2011) MicroRNA-mediated DNA methylation in plants. Frontiers in Biology 6(2):133-139 Read More
- Tang X, Tang X, Gal J, Kyprianou N, Zhu H, Tang G. (2011) Detection of microRNAs in prostate cancer cells by microRNA array. Methods Mol Biol. 732:69-88. Read More
- Dianwei Han, Guiliang Tang, and Jun Zhang (2011) A Parallel Strategy for Predicting the Secondary Structure of Polycistronic MicroRNAs. Int. J. Bioinformatics Research and Applications (In press)
- Guiliang Tang (2010) Plant microRNAs: An insight into their gene structures and evolution. Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology 21:782-789. Read More
- Wang WX, Wilfred BR, Madathil SK, Tang G, Hu Y, Dimayuga J, Stromberg AJ, Huang Q, Saatman KE, Nelson PT (2010) MiR-107 Regulates Granulin/Progranulin with Implications for Traumatic Brain Injury and Neurodegenerative Disease. Am J Pathol. 177(1):334-45 Read More
- Techtmann, S. M., Santo Domingo, J., Conmy, R., & Barron, M. (2023). Impacts of dispersants on microbial communities and ecological systems. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 1-12. Link
- Golob, J. L., Oskotsky, T. T., Tang, A., Roldan, A., Chung, V., Ha, C. W., ... & Sirota, M. (2023). Microbiome Preterm Birth DREAM Challenge: Crowdsourcing Machine Learning Approaches to Advance Preterm Birth Research. medRxiv, 2023-03. Link
- Campa, M. F., Chen See, J. R., Unverdorben, L. V., Wright, O. G., Roth, K. A., Niles, J. M., ... & Lamendella, R. (2022). Geochemistry and Multiomics Data Differentiate Streams in Pennsylvania Based on Unconventional Oil and Gas Activity. Microbiology spectrum, 10(5), e00770-22. Link
- Schaerer, L. G., Wu, R., Putman, L. I., Pearce, J. M., Lu, T., Shonnard, D. R., ... & Techtmann, S. M. (2022). Killing two birds with one stone: Chemical and biological upcycling of polyethylene terephthalate plastics into food. Trends in biotechnology. Link
- Alhajjar, R. K., Roche, K. M., & Techtmann, S. M. (2022). Comparative Analysis of the Mechanism of Resistance to Silver Nanoparticles and the Biocide 2, 2-Dibromo-3-Nitrilopropionamide. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 66(6), e02031-21. Link
- Basili, M., Techtmann, S. M., Zaggia, L., Luna, G. M., & Quero, G. M. (2022). Partitioning and sources of microbial pollution in the Venice Lagoon. Science of The Total Environment, 818, 151755. Link
- Techtmann, S. M., Baldwin, A. L., Aluko, D., Andersen, J., Becker, C., Chandler, G., ... & Schroeder, L. (2022). Draft Genome Sequencing of Three Glutaraldehyde-Tolerant Bacteria from Produced Water from Hydraulic Fracturing. Microbiology resource announcements, 11(2), e01232-21. Link
- Byrne, E., Schaerer, L. G., Kulas, D. G., Ankathi, S. K., Putman, L. I., Codere, K. R., ... & Techtmann, S. M. (2022). Pyrolysis-aided microbial biodegradation of high-density polyethylene plastic by environmental inocula enrichment cultures. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 10(6), 2022-2033. Link
- Alhajjar, R. K., Ghannam, R. B., See, J. R. C., Wright, O. G., Campa, M. F., Hazen, T. C., ... & Techtmann, S. M. (2021). Comparative study of the effects of biocides and metal oxide nanoparticles on microbial community structure in a stream impacted by hydraulic fracturing. Chemosphere, 284, 131255. Link
- Byrne, E. R., Roche, K. M., Schaerer, L. G., & Techtmann, S. M. (2021). Temporal variation of crude and refined oil biodegradation rates and microbial community composition in freshwater systems. Journal of Great Lakes Research, 47(5), 1376-1385. Link
- Kokate, P. P., Techtmann, S. M., & Werner, T. (2021). Codon usage bias and dinucleotide preference in 29 Drosophila species. G3, 11(8), jkab191. Link
- Schaerer, L. G., Webb, P. N., Corazzola, A., Christian, W. C., & Techtmann, S. M. (2021). Impact of air, water and dock microbial communities on boat microbial community composition. Link
- Rupp, D. L., Lamit, L. J., Techtmann, S. M., Kane, E. S., Lilleskov, E. A., & Turetsky, M. R. (2021). The Rhizosphere Responds: Rich Fen Peat and Root Microbial Ecology after Long-Term Water Table Manipulation. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 87(12). Link
- Hubbard, B. R., Putman, L. I., Techtmann, S., & Pearce, J. M. (2021). Open Source Vacuum Oven Design for Low-Temperature Drying: Performance Evaluation for Recycled PET and Biomass. Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing, 5(2), 52. Link
- Chen See, J. R., Wright, O., Unverdorben, L. V., Heibeck, N., Techtmann, S. M., Hazen, T. C., & Lamendella, R. (2021). Evaluating the Impact of Hydraulic Fracturing on Streams using Microbial Molecular Signatures. JoVE, 170. Link
- Ghannam, R. B., & Techtmann, S. M. (2021). Machine learning applications in microbial ecology, human microbiome studies, and environmental monitoring. Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal. Link
- Christian, W. C., Butler, T. M., Ghannam, R. B., Webb, P. N., & Techtmann, S. M. (2020). Phylogeny and diversity of alkane-degrading enzyme gene variants in the laurentian great lakes and western atlantic. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 367(23), fnaa182. Link
- Schaerer, L. G., Webb, P. N., Corazzola, A., Christian, W. C., & Techtmann, S. M. (2020). Impact of air, water, and dock microbial communities on boat microbial community composition. Journal of Applied Microbiology. Link
- Miller JI, Techtmann S, Joyner D, Mahmoudi N, Fortney J, Fordyce JA, GaraJayeva N, Askerov FS, Cravid C, Kuijper M, Pelz O, Hazen TC.2020. Microbial Communities across Global Marine Basins Show Important Compositional Similarities by Depth. mBio 11:e01448-20. Link
- Ghannam, R. B., Schaerer, L. G., Butler, T. M., & Techtmann, S. M. (2020). Biogeographic Patterns in Members of Globally Distributed and Dominant Taxa Found in Port Microbial Communities. Msphere, 5(1). Link
- Schaerer, L. G., Ghannam, R. B., Butler, T. M., & Techtmann, S. M. (2019). Global comparison of the bacterial communities of bilge water, boat surfaces, and external port water. Applied and environmental microbiology, 85(24). Link
- Campa, M. F., Wolfe, A. K., Techtmann, S. M., Harik, A. M., & Hazen, T. C. (2019). Unconventional Oil and Gas Energy Systems: An Unidentified Hotspot of Antimicrobial Resistance?. Frontiers in microbiology, 10, 2392. Link
- Butler, T. M., Wilhelm, A. C., Dwyer, A. C., Webb, P. N., Baldwin, A. L., & Techtmann, S. M. (2019). Microbial community dynamics during lake ice freezing. Scientific reports, 9(1), 1-11. Link
- Campa, M.F., Techtmann, S.M., Gibson, C.M., Zhu, X., Patterson, M., Garcia de Matos Amaral, A., Ulrich, N., Campagna, S.R., Grant, C.J., Lamendella, R. and Hazen, T.C., 2018. Impacts of glutaraldehyde on microbial community structure and degradation potential in streams impacted by hydraulic fracturing. Environmental science & technology, 52(10), pp.5989-5999 Link
- Smith, M.B; Rocha. A.M.; Oleson, S.W.; Paradis, C.; Smillie, C.S.; Campbell. J.H.; Fortney, J.L.; Mehlhorn, T.L.; Lowe. K.A.; Earles, J.E.; Phillips, J.; Techtmann, S.M.; Joyner, D.C.; Preheim, S.P.; Sanders, M.S.; Mueller, M.A; Brooks, S.; Watson, D.B.; Wu, L; Zhang, P.; He, Z.; Zhou, J.; Adams, M.W.W.; Lancaster, A.; Poole, F.; Adams, P.D.; Arkin, A.P.; Fields, M.; Alm, E.J.; Hazen, T.C. (2015) Natural bacterial communities as quantitative biosensors. 6.3 (2015): e00326-15. Link
- Techtmann, S.M.; Lebedinsky, A.V.; Colman, A.S.; Sokolova, T.G.; Woyke, T.; Goodwin, L; Robb, F.T. (2012) Evidence for Horizontal Gene Transfer of Anaerobic Carbon Monoxide Dehydrogenases. Front. Microbio. - Evolutionary and Genomic Microbiology 3:132 Link
- Techtmann, S.M.; Ghirlando, R.; Kao, S.; Strebel, K; Maynard, E. (2012) Hydrodynamic and Functional Analysis of HIV-1 Vif Oligomerization, Biochemistry. 2012 Feb 27. Link
- Techtmann S.M., Colman A.S., Murphy M.B., Schackwitz W., Goodwin L., Robb F.T. (2011) Regulation of multiple carbon monoxide consumption pathways in anaerobic bacteria. Front. Microbio. - Evolutionary and Genomic Microbiology 2: 147 Epub 2011 Jul 11 Link
- Techtmann S.M., Robb, F.T. (2010) Archaeal-like Chaperonins in Bacteria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 107(47):20269-74. Epub 2010 Nov 5. Link
- Techtmann, S.M., Colman, A.S., Robb, F.T. (2009) “That Which Does Not Kill Us Only Makes Us Stronger”: The Role of Carbon Monoxide in Thermophilic Microbial Consortia, Environmental Microbiology 11(5); 1027 - 1037 Link
Noel R. Urban
- Atilla, N., McKinley, G.A., Bennington, V., Baehr, M., Urban, N.R., DeGrandpre, M., Desai, A.R., Wu, C. 2010, Observed Variability of Lake Superior pCO2, Limnol. Oceanogr., 56(3):775-786.
- McDonald, C.P., Urban, N.R., Casey, C.M. 2010, Modeling historical trends in Lake Superior total nitrogen concentrations, J. Great Lakes Res. 36(4):715-721.
- McDonald, C.P., Urban, NR, Barkach, JH, McCauley, D. 2009, Copper profiles in the sediments of a mining-impacted lake, Journal Soils and Sediments, 10(3):343-349.
- McDonald, CP, Urban, NR, 2009, Using a model selection criterion to identify appropriate complexity in aquatic biogeochemical models, Ecol. Modeling, 221(3): 428-432.
- Schultz, P., Urban NR, 2007, Effects of bacterial dynamics on organic matter decomposition and nutrient release from sediments: A modeling study, Ecol. Modeling, doi:10.1016/j.ecolmodel. 2007.06.026
- Urban, NR, MT Auer, SA Green, D Apul, L Bub, KD Elenbaas, X Lu, 2005, Carbon cycling in L. Superior, J. Geophys. Res., 110(C6): doi: 10.1029/2003JC002230 C06S90
- Urban, NR, Apul, D.S., Auer, MT, 2004, Planktonic Respiration Rates in Lake Superior, J. Great Lakes Res., 30(Suppl. 1):230-244
- Venturelli, R. A., Boehman, B., Davis, C., Hawkings, J. R., Johnston, S. E., Gustafson, C. D., Michaud, A. B., Mosbeux, C., Siegfried, M. R., Vick-Majors, T. J., Galy, V., Spencer, R. G. M., Warny, S., Christner, B. C., Fricker, H. A., Harwood, D. M., Leventer, A., Priscu, J. C., Rosenheim, B. E. 2023. Constraints on the Timing and Extent of Deglacial Grounding Line Retreat in West Antarctica from Subglacial Sediments. AGU Advances. In Press.
- Davis C. L., Venturelli R. A., Michaud A.B., Hawkings J. R., Achberger A. M., Vick-Majors T. J., Rosenheim B. E., Dore J. E., Steigmeyer A., Skidmore M. L., Barker J. D., Benning L.G., Siegfried, M. R., Priscu, J. C., Christner, B. C. 2023. Biogeochemical and historical drivers of microbial community composition and structure in sediments from Mercer Subglacial Lake, West Antarctica. ISME Comm. 3:8.
- Elser, J. J., Devlin, S.P., Yu, J., Baumann, A., Church, M.J., Dore, J.E., Hall Jr., R.O., Hollar, M., Johnson, T., Vick-Majors, T.J., White, C. (2022). Sustained stoichiometric imbalance and its ecological consequences in a large oligotrophic lake. PNAS. 119:30 e2202268119.
- Venturelli, R.A., Vick-Majors, T.J., Collins, B., Gagnon, A., Kasic, K., Kurz, M.D., Li, W., Priscu, J.C., Roberts, M., Rosenheim, B.E. (2021). A Framework for Transdisciplinary Radiocarbon Research: Use of Natural-Level and Elevated-Level 14C in Antarctic Field Research. Radiocarbon. 63:5. doi:10.1017/RDC.2021.55
- Priscu, J.C., Kalin, J., Winans, J., Campbell, T., Siegfried, M.R., Vick-Majors, T.J., Elsworth, C., SALSA Science Team. (2021). Scientific access into Mercer Subglacial Lake: scientific objectives, drilling operations, and initial observations. Annals of Glaciology. 1-13. doi:10.1017/aog.2021.10
- Michaud, A.B., Vick-Majors, T.J., Achberger, A.A., Skidmore, M.L., Christner, B.C., Tranter, M., Priscu, J.C. (2020). Environmentally clean access to Antarctic subglacial aquatic environments. Antarctic Science. 1-12. doi: 10.1017/S0954102020000231
- Vick-Majors, T.J., Michaud, A.B., Skidmore, M.L., Turetta, C., Barbante, C., Christner, B.C., Dore, J.E., Christianson, K., Mitchell, A.C., Achberger, A.A., Mikucki, J.A., Priscu, J.C. (2020). Biogeochemical connectivity between freshwater ecosystems beneath the West Antarctic Ice Sheet and the sub-ice marine environment. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. 34:e2019GB006446. doi:10.1029%2F2019gb006446
- Santibáñez, P., Michaud, A.B., Vick-Majors, T.J., D’Andrilli, J., Chiuchiolo, A., Hand, K.P., Priscu, J.C. (2019). Preferential incorporation of bacteria into lake ice covers during freezing. Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences. 124:585-600. doi: 10.1029/2018JG004825
- Vick-Majors, T.J. and Priscu, J.C. (2019). Inorganic carbon fixation in lakes of the McMurdo Dry Valleys. Antarctic Science. 31:123-132. doi:10.1017/S0954102019000075
- Stelmach, K.B., Neveu, M., Vick-Majors, T.J., Mickol, R., Chou, L., Webster, K.D., Tilley, M., Zacchei, F., Escudero, C., Flores, Martinez, C.L., Labrado, A., Fernandez, E.J.G. (2018). Secondary electrons as an energy source for life. Astrobiology. 18:73-85. doi: 10.1089/ast.2016.1510
- Vick-Majors, T.J., Mitchell, A.C., Achberger, A.M., Christner, B.C., Dore, J.E., Michaud, A.B., Mikucki, J.A., Purcell, A.M., Skidmore, M.L. and Priscu, J.C. (2016). Physiological ecology of microorganisms in Subglacial Lake Whillans. Frontiers in Microbiology. 7:1705. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.01705
- Brill, K. A., & Waite, G. P. (2019) Characteristics of Repeating Long‐Period Seismic Events at Fuego Volcano, January 2012. J. Geophys. Res., doi:10.1029/2019jb017902.
- Chatterjee, S., Deering, C. D., Waite, G. P., Prandi, C., & Lin, P. (2019) An adaptive sampling strategy developed for studies of diffuse volcanic soil gas emissions, J. Volcan. Geotherm Res., 381, 246-261, doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2019.06.006.
- Lechner, H.N., C. Wauthier, G.P. Waite, and R.P. Escobar-Wolf (2019) Magma storage and diking revealed by GPS and InSAR geodesy at Pacaya volcano, Guatemala, Bull. Volc., 81, 18, doi:10.1007/s00445-019-1277-x Author PDF.
- Neal, C.A., et al. (2019) The 2018 rift eruption and summit collapse of Kīlauea Volcano, Science, 363, 367-374, doi:10.1126/science.aav7046.
- Brill, K.A., G.P. Waite, and G. Chigna (2018) Foundations for Forecasting: Defining Baseline Seismicity at Fuego Volcano, Guatemala, Front. Earth Sci., 6, doi:10.3389/feart.2018.00087.
- Lanza, F., and G.P. Waite (2018) A nonlinear approach to assess network performance for moment tensor studies of long-period signals in volcanic settings, Geophys. J. International, 215, 1352-1376, doi10.1093/gji/ggy338.
- Lanza, F., and G.P. Waite (2018) Nonlinear moment-tensor inversion of repetitive long-periods events recorded at Pacaya volcano, Guatemala, Front. Earth Sci., 6, doi: 10.3389/feart.2018.00139.
- Avouris, D.M., S.A. Carn, and G.P. Waite (2017) Triggering of volcanic degassing by large earthquakes, Geology, 45(8), 715-718, doi:10.1130/G39074.1.
- Russo, E., G.P. Waite, and A. Tibaldi (2017) Evaluation of the evolving stress field of the Yellowstone volcanic plateau, 1988 to 2010, from earthquake first-motion inversions, Tectonophysics, 700-701, 80-91, doi:10.1016/j.tecto.2017.02.009.
- Schaefer, L.N., T. Wang, R. Escobar-Wolf, T. Oommen, Z. Lu, J. Kim, P. R. Lundgren, and G. P. Waite (2017) Three-dimensional displacement of a large volcano flank movement during the May 2010 eruptions at Pacaya Volcano, Guatemala, Geophys. Res. Lett., 44, 135-142, doi:10.1002/2016GL071402.
- Hopp, C.J. and G.P. Waite (2016) Characterization of seismicity at Volcan Baru, Panama: May 2013 through April 2014, J. Volcan. Geotherm Res., 328, 187-197, doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2016.11.002.
- Lanza, F., L.M. Kenyon, and G.P. Waite (2016) Near-surface velocity structure of Pacaya volcano, Guatemala, derived from small-aperture array analysis of seismic tremor, Bull. Seis. Soc. Am., 106, doi:10.1785/0120150275.
- Richardson, J.P., W.D. Pennington, G.P. Waite, M. Galambus, F. Lanza, and L. Bowman (2016) Menominee Crack: Bedrock pop-up event near Menominee, MI, Seis. Res. Lett., 87, 267-273, doi:10.1785/0220150161.
- Stein, S., et al. (2016), New insights into North America's Midcontinent Rift, Eos, 97, doi:10.1029/2016EO056659.
- Waite, G.P. and F. Lanza (2016) Nonlinear inversion of tilt-affected very-long-period records of explosive eruptions at Fuego volcano, J. Geophys. Res., preprint PDF, doi:10.1002/2016JB013287.
- Matoza, R.S., B.A. Chouet, P.B. Dawson, P.M. Shearer, M.M. Haney, G.P. Waite, S.C. Moran, T.D. Mikesell (2015) Source mechanism of small long-period events at Mount St. Helens in July 2005 using template matching, phase-weighted stacking, and full-waveform inversion, J. Geophys. Res., 120, 6351-6364, doi:10.1002/2015JB012279.
- Médici, E.F. and G.P. Waite (2015) Experimental laboratory study on the formation of multiple shock waves observed during volcanic eruptions, Geophys. Res. Lett., 42, 85-92, doi:10.1002/2015GL066426.
- Waite, G.P. (2015) Very-Long-Period Seismicity at Active Volcanoes: Source Mechanisms in Encyclopedia of Earthquake Engineering, edited by M. Beer, I.A. Kougioumtzoglou, E. Patelli, and S.-K. Au, pp. 3861-3871, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, doi:10.1007/978-3-642-35344-4_46 I'll send you a copy..
- De Siena, L., C. Thomas, G.P. Waite, S.C. Moran, and S. Klemme (2014) Attenuation and scattering tomography of the deep plumbing system of Mount St. Helens, J. Geophys. Res., 119, 8223-8238, doi:10.1002/2014JB011372.
- Médici, E.F., J.S. Allen, and G.P. Waite (2014) Modeling shockwaves generated by explosive volcanic eruptions, Geophys. Res. Lett., 41, 414-421, doi:10.1002/2013GL058340, preprint PDF.
- Nadeau, P.A., C.A. Werner, G.P. Waite, S.A. Carn, I.D. Brewer, T. Elias, A.J. Sutton, and C. Kern (2014) Using SO2 camera imagery and seismicity to examine degassing and gas accumulation at Kilauea volcano, May 2010, J. Volcan. Geotherm. Res., doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2014.12.005.
- Richardson, J.P., G.P. Waite, and J.L. Palma (2014) Varying seismic-acoustic properties of the fluctuating lava lake at Villarrica volcano, Chile, J. Geophys. Res., 119, 5560-5573, doi:10.1002/2014JB011002.
- Erdem, J.E. and G.P. Waite (2013) Temporal changes in eruptive behavior identified with coda wave interferometry and seismo-acoustic observations at Fuego Volcano, Guatemala, Geol. Soc. Am. Special Papers 498, 107-123, doi:10.1130/2013.2498(07).
- Richardson, J.P. and G.P. Waite (2013) Waveform inversion of shallow repetitive long period events at Villarrica Volcano, Chile, J. Geophys. Res., 118, 4922-4936, doi:10.1002/jgrb.50354.
- Waite, G.P., P.A. Nadeau, and J.J. Lyons (2013) Variability in eruption style and associated very-long-period events at Fuego volcano, Guatemala", J. Geophys. Res., 118, 1526-1533, doi:10.1002/jgrb.50075. Read More
- Anderson, J.F., J.M. Lees, G.P. Waite, and J.B. Johnson (2012) Source and propagation effects on near-field co-eruptive ground motion at Santiaguito Volcano, Guatemala, Bull. Seismo. Soc. Am, 102, 696-706, doi:10.1785/0120110106. Read More
- Beachley, M., E. Hooft, D. Toomey, and G.P. Waite (2012), Upper Crustal Structure of Newberry Volcano from P-Wave Tomography and Finite Difference Waveform Modeling, J. Geophys. Res., 117, B10311, doi:10.1029/2012JB009458. Read More
- Lyons, J.J., G.P. Waite, M. Ichihara, and J.M. Lees (2012) Tilt prior to explosions and the effect of topography on ultra-long-period seismic records at Fuego volcano, Guatemala, Geophys. Res. Lett., 39, L08305, doi:10.1029/2012GL051184. Read More
- Richardson, J.P., G.P. Waite, W.D. Pennington, R.M. Turpening, and J.M. Robinson (2012), Icequake locations and discrimination of source and path effects with small aperture arrays, Bering Glacier terminus, AK, J. Geophys. Res., 117, doi:10.1029/2012JF002405. Read More
- Lyons, J.J. and G.P. Waite (2011) Dynamics of explosive volcanism at Fuego volcano imaged with very long period seismicity, J. Geophys. Res., 116, B09303, doi:10.1029/2011JB008521. Read More
- Nadeau, P.A., J.L. Palma, and G.P. Waite (2011), Linking volcanic tremor, degassing, and eruption dynamics via SO2 imaging, Geophys. Res. Lett., 38, L01304, doi:10.1029 /2010GL045820. Read More
- Dalton, M.P., G.P. Waite, I.M. Watson, and P.A. Nadeau (2010), Multiparameter quantification of gas release during weak strombolian eruptions at Pacaya Volcano, Guatemala, Geophys. Res. Lett., 37, L09303, doi:10.1029/2010GL042617. Read More
- Richardson, J.P., K.A. FitzGerald, G.P. Waite, and W. D. Pennington (2010), "Acoustic and seismic observations of calving events at Bering Glacier, Alaska", in Shuchman, R.A. and E.G. Josberger, eds., Bering Glacier: Interdisciplinary Studies of Earth's Largest Temperate Surging Glacier, Geol. Soc. Am. 462, Boulder, CO.
- Richardson, J.P., G.P. Waite, K.A. FitzGerald, and W. D. Pennington (2010), Characteristics of seismic and acoustic signals produced by calving, Bering Glacier, AK, Geophys. Res. Lett., 37, L03503, doi:10.1029/2009GL041113. Read More
- Lyons, J.J., G.P. Waite, W.I. Rose, and G. Chigna (2010), Patterns in open vent, strombolian behavior at Fuego volcano, Guatemala, 2005-2007, Bull. Volcanol., 72, 1-15, doi:10.1007/s00445-009-0305-7. Read More
- Johnson, J.B., R. Sanderson, J. Lyons, R. Escobar-Wolf, G. Waite, and J.M. Lees (2009), Dissection of a composite volcanic earthquake at Santiaguito, Guatemala, Geophys. Res. Lett., 36, L16308, doi:10.1029/2009GL039370. Read More
- A. Morrison and C. Wallace (2022). Making it strange: Disrupting assumptions about technology and ethics in engineering and computing education. IEEE Technology and Society 41(3): 81–90.
- B. Bettin, M. Jarvie-Eggart, K.S. Steelman, and C. Wallace (2022). Preparing first year engineering students to think about code: A guided approach. IEEE Transactions on Education 65(3): 309–319.
- D. Pontious, K. Thelen, B. Bettin, K.S. Steelman, L.C. Ureel, and C. Wallace (2022). Illuminated Devices: A sociotechnical system to broaden access to digital assistance. (poster) International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning, Hiroshima, Japan.
- B. Bettin, K.S. Steelman, C. Wallace, D. Pontious, and E. Veinott (2022). Identifying and addressing risks in the early design of a sociotechnical system through premortem. Human Factors & Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting.
- A. Morrison and C. Wallace (2021). Iteration and inquiry: Toward a meaningful model of ethical engagement for engineering and computing students. IEEE Ethics Conference, Waterloo ON, Canada.
- B. Bettin, M. Jarvie-Eggart, K.S. Steelman, and C. Wallace (2021). Developing a comic-creation assignment and rubric for teaching and assessing algorithmic concepts. IEEE Frontiers in Education, Lincoln NE.
- K.S. Steelman and C. Wallace (2021). Breaking barriers, building understanding: A multigenerational approach to digital literacy instruction for older adults. ACM SIGCAS Computers and Society 49(1): 23–24.
- B.C. Bettin, M. Jarvie-Eggart, K. Steelman, and C. Wallace (2020). Infusing Computing Identity Into Introductory Engineering Instruction. IEEE Frontiers in Education, Virtual Conference.
- K. Steelman, M. Jarvie-Eggart, K.L. Tislar, N. Manser, B.C. Bettin, L.C. Ureel, and C. Wallace (2020). Work in Progress: The perception of computer programming within engineering education: An investigation of student attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors. ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. American Society of Engineering Education, Virtual Conference.
- L.C. Ureel and C. Wallace (2019). Automated critique of early programming antipatterns. ACM SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, Minneapolis MN.
- I. Pollock, B. Alshaigy, A. Bradley, B.R. Krogstie, V. Kumar, L. Ott, A.-K. Peters, C. Ridesel, and C. Wallace (2019). 1.5 Degrees of Separation: Computer Science Education in the Age of the Anthropocene. ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Educa- tion (ITiCSE), Aberdeen, UK. ITiCSE-WGR ’19: Proceedings of the Working Group Reports on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, 1–25.
- S. Kumar and C. Wallace. (2019). The case for kairos: The importance of moment and manner in software engineering communication. Conference on Software Engineering Education & Training, Maui HI.
- L.E. Brown, A. Feltz, and C. Wallace (2018). Lab Exercises for a Discrete Structures Course: Exploring Logic and Relational Algebra with Alloy. ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, Lanarca, Cyprus.
- S. Frezza, M. Daniels, A. Pears, A. Cajander, K. Viggo, K. Amanpreet, R. McDermott, A.-K. Peters, M. Sabin, and C. Wallace (2018). Modelling Competencies for Computing Education beyond 2020: A Research Based Approach to Defining Competencies in the Computing Disciplines. ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE), Lanarca, Cyprus.
- C. Wallace (2018). Learning Discrete Structures Interactively with Alloy. (workshop) ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, Baltimore MD.
Steven A. Walton
- Steven A. Walton and Timothy J. Scarlett. 2020. "Technology" 6: 65–83 in A Cultural History of Objects in the Modern Age, ed. by Laurie A. Wilkie and John M. Chenoweth. London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Timothy J. Scarlett and Steven A. Walton. 2020. "Technology,” 5: 39-55 in A Cultural History of Objects in the Age of Industry, ed. by Carolyn White. London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Steven A. Walton. 2020. “The American Expositionary Forces in WWI: From Patriotism to Memorialization of War,” 205-239 in Home Front in the American Heartland: Local Experiences and Legacies of WWI, ed. Patricia Sotirin, Steven A. Walton, and Sue Collins. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Press.
- Steven A. Walton. 2019. “Technological Determinism(s) and the Study of War,” Vulcan 7: 4-18.
- Steven A. Walton (ed.). 2019. Fifty Years of Medieval Technology & Social Change. London: Routledge.
- Steven A. Walton and Michael J. Armstrong (eds.). 2019. The Majestic “Nature” of the North: Thomas Kelah Wharton’s Journeys in Antebellum America through the Hudson River Valley and New England. Albany, NY: SUNY Press.
- Laura W. Rouleau, Sarah Scarlett, Timothy J. Scarlett and Steven A. Walton. 2020. Historic Resource Survey: Pullman National Historical Landmark, Town of Pullman, Chicago, Illinois. National Park Service.
- Timothy J. Scarlett and Steven A. Walton. 2017. Archaeological Overview & Assessment: Pullman National Historical Landmark, Town of Pullman, Chicago, Illinois, prepared for Midwest Archeological Center, National Park Service.
- Steven A. Walton. 2018 [for 2015]. “Machinery to Match the Materials: Iron Ore Washing in Pennsylvania,” IA: The Journal of the Society for Industrial Archeology 41.1/2: 71-92. [Vogel Prize Winner]
Steven A. Walton. 2018 "'My Works will be the Best in America': Peter Townsend's Cannon Foundry, 1815-25, 1815-25." New York State Museum Record 8: 79-102. Read More
- Steven A. Walton. 2017. "Technologies of Pow(d)er: Military Mathematical Practitioners’ Strategies and Self-Presentation." In Mathematical Practitioners and the Transformation of Natural Knowledge in Early Modern Europe, edited by L. Cormack, S. Walton, and J. Schuster, pp. 87-113. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science vol. 45. Dordrecht: Springer. Read More
- Steven A. Walton. 2015. “Testing the Revolution in a Civil War: Developments in Heavy Artillery, 1830-1860.” In Astride Two Ages: Technology in the American Civil War, edited by Barton C. Hacker, pp. 55-85. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press. Read More
- Steven A. Walton and Thomas E. Boothby. 2014. “What is Straight Cannot Fall: Gothic architecture, Scholasticism, and dynamics,” History of Science 52.4, no. 173: 347–376. Read More
- Steven A. Walton. 2010. “State Building through Building for the State: domestic and foreign expertise in Tudor fortifications.” In Expertise and the Early Modern State, edited by Eric Ash, Osiris 25: 66-84. Read More
- Steven A. Walton. 2009 . "Founding a Foundry: the Diary of the Setting-Out of the West Point Foundry." Industrial Archaeology: Theme Issue: West Point Foundry 35.1/2: 25-38. Read More
David Watkins, PE
Babbar-Sebens, M., Root, E., Rosenberg, D. E., Watkins, D., Mirchi, A., Giacomoni, M., and Madani, K. (2019). “Training Water Resources Systems Engineers to Communicate: Acting on Observations from On-the-Job Practitioners,” Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice, 145(4), 04019012.
- Heidari, A., Mayer, A.S., and Watkins, D.W. (2019). “Hydrologic impacts and trade-offs associated with forest-based bioenergy development practices in a snow-dominated watershed, Wisconsin, USA,” Journal of Hydrology, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2019.04.067.
- Alian, S., Mayer, A.S., Maclean, A., Watkins, D. and Mirchi, A. (2019). “Spatiotemporal dimensions of water stress accounting: Incorporating groundwater-surface water interactions and ecological thresholds,” Environmental Science & Technology, 53(5), 2316–2323.
- Watkins, D., Shwom, R, Schelly, C., Agusdinata, B., Floress, K., and Halvorsen, K.E. (2018). “Understanding Household Conservation, Climate Change, and the Food-Energy-Water Nexus from a Transdisciplinary Perspective,” in A Research Agenda for Environmental Management, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Mirchi, A., Watkins, D. W., Engel, V., Sukop, M. C., Czajkowski, J., Bhat, M., Rehage, J., Letson, D, Takatsuka, Y., and Weisskoff, R. (2018). “A hydro-economic model of South Florida water resources system,” Science of the Total Environment, 628-629, 1531-1541.
- Brown, C.E., Bhat, M.G., Rehage, J.S., Mirchi, A., Boucek, R., Engel, V., Ault, J., Mozumder, P., Watkins, D., and Sukop, M. (2018). “Ecological-economic assessment of the effects of freshwater flow in the Florida Everglades on recreational fisheries,” Science of the Total Environment, 627, 480-493.
- Takatsuka, Y., Niekus, M.R., Harrington, J., Feng, S., Watkins, D., Mirchi, A., Nguyen, H., and Sukop, M.C. (2018). “Value of irrigation water usage in South Florida agriculture,” Science of the Total Environment, 626, 486-496.
- Lanier, A.L., Drabik, J.R., Heikkila, T., Bolson, J., Sukop, M.C., Watkins, D.W., Rehage, J., Mirchi, A., Engel, V. and Letson, D. (2018). “Facilitating integration in interdisciplinary research: Lessons from a south Florida water, sustainability, and climate project,” Environmental Management, 62(6), 1025-1037.
- Spellman, P., Webster, V., and Watkins, D. (2018). “Bias correcting instantaneous peak flows generated using a continuous, semi‐distributed hydrologic model,” Journal of Flood Risk Management, e12342.
- Czajkowski, J., Engel, V., Martinez, C., Mirchi, A., Watkins, D., Hughes, J., and Sukop, M. (2017). “Economic impacts of urban flooding in south Florida: Potential consequences of managing groundwater to prevent salt water intrusion,” Science of the Total Environment, 621, 465-478.
- Miller, L.B., M.C. Moritz, and D.W. Watkins (2017). “Connectivity and Source Protection: Perspectives on Water and Sanitation Challenges in Rural Indigenous Panama,” Proc. World Environmental and Water Resources Congress, ASCE, Sacramento, CA, May 20-24.
- Yang, X., You, Z., Hiller, J., and Watkins, D. (2017). “Sensitivity of flexible pavement design to Michigan’s climatic inputs using pavement ME design,” International Journal of Pavement Engineering, 18(7), 622-632.
- Moraes, M.M.G.A., Ribeiro, M.M.R., Watkins, D.W., Viana, J.H.N., Figueiredo, L.E.N., da Silva, G.S. and Carneiro, A.C.G. (2016). “Integrated economic models to support decisions on water pricing in biofuel production river basins: three case studies from Brazil,” Biofuels, Bioprod. Bioref., 10(3), 255–269.
- Zhang, F., Johnson, D., Johnson, M., Watkins, D., Froese, R., Wang, J. (2016). “Decision support system integrating GIS with simulation and optimisation for a biofuel supply chain,” Renewable Energy, 85, 740-748.
- Pouryousef, H., Lautala, P., Watkins, D. (2016). “Development of hybrid optimization of train schedules model for N-track rail corridors,” Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 67, 169-192.
- Watkins, D., M. Moraes, H. Asbjornsen, A. Mayer, J. Licata, J. Gutierrez, T. Pypker, V. Molina, G. Marques, A. Carneiro, H. Nuñez, H. Önal, and B. Germano (2015). “Bioenergy Development and Integrated Water-Energy Management in Pan America,” Environmental Management, 56(6), 1295-1314.
- LaBeau, M., A.S. Mayer, V.W. Griffis, D.W. Watkins, D. Robertson, R. Gyawali (2015). “The importance of considering shifts in seasonal changes in discharges when predicting future phosphorus loads in streams,” Biogeochemistry, 126(1-2), 153-172.
- Gyawali R., V.W. Griffis, D.W. Watkins Jr., and N.M. Fennessey (2015). “Regional regression models for hydro-climate change impact assessment,” Hydrol. Process., 29(8), 1972–1985.
- Gyawali, R., D.W. Watkins Jr., V.W. Griffis, and B.F. Lofgren (2014). “Energy budget considerations for hydro-climatic impact assessment in Great Lakes watersheds,” Journal of Great Lakes Research, 40(4): 940–948, doi: 10.1016/j.jglr.2014.09.005.
- Mirchi, A., D.W. Watkins Jr., C.J. Huckins, K. Madani, and P. Hjorth (2014). “Water resources management in a homogenizing world: Averting the Growth and Underinvestment trajectory,” Water Resour. Res., 50, doi:10.1002/2013WR015128.
- Ilorme, F., V.W. Griffis, and D.W. Watkins Jr. (2014). “Regional Rainfall Frequency and Ungaged Basin Analysis for Flood Risk Assessment in Haiti,” Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, ASCE, 19(1), 123–132.
- Lofgren, B.M., A.D. Gronewold, A. Acciaioli, J. Cherry, A. Steiner, and D. Watkins (2013). “Methodological Approaches to Projecting the Hydrologic Impacts of Climate Change,” Earth Interactions, 17, 1–19.
- Etkin, D., P. Kirshen, D. Watkins, G. Hoogenboom, M. Roncoli, et al. (2013). “Stochastic Programming for Improved Multi-Use Reservoir Operation in Burkina Faso, West Africa,” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000396.
- Fry, L.M., D.W. Watkins Jr., N. Reents, M.D. Rowe, and J.R. Mihelcic (2012). “Climate Change and Development Impacts on the Sustainability of Spring-fed Water Supply Systems in the Alto Beni Region of Bolivia,” Journal of Hydrology, 468-469: 120-129.
- Mirchi, A., K. Madani, D.W. Watkins Jr., and S. Ahmad (2012). “Synthesis of System Dynamics Tools for Holistic Conceptualization of Water Resources Problems,” Water Resources Management, 26(9), 2421-2442.
Veronica L. Webster, PE
- Dawdy, D. R., V. W. Griffis, and V. K. Gupta (2012) Regional Flood Frequency Analysis: How We Got Here and Where We are Going. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 17(9), 953-959.
- Stedinger, J. R. and V. W. Griffis (2011) Getting From Here to Where? Flood Frequency Analysis and Climate. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 47: 506–513. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00545.x
- Griffis, V. W. and J. R. Stedinger (2009) The log-Pearson type 3 distribution and its application in flood frequency analysis, 3. Sample Skew and Weighted Skew Estimators. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 14(2), 209-212.
- Stedinger, J. R. and V. W. Griffis (2008) Flood frequency analysis in the United States: Time to Update. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 13(4), 199-204. (editorial)
- Griffis, V. W. and J. R. Stedinger (2007) The use of GLS regression in regional hydrologic analyses. Journal of Hydrology, 344(1-2), 82-95.
- Griffis, V. W. and J. R. Stedinger (2007) The log-Pearson type 3 distribution and its application in flood frequency analysis, 2. Parameter estimation methods. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 12(5), 492-500.
- Griffis, V. W. and J. R. Stedinger (2007) The log-Pearson type 3 distribution and its application in flood frequency analysis, 1. Distribution characteristics. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 12(5), 482-491.
- Griffis, V. W. and J. R. Stedinger (2007) Evolution of flood frequency analysis with Bulletin 17. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 12(3), 283-297.
- Griffis, V. W., J. R. Stedinger, and T. A. Cohn (2004) LP3 quantile estimators with regional skew information and low outlier adjustments. Water Resources Research, vol.40, W07503, doi:1029/2003WR002697.
Adam M. Wellstead
- Carson, D. and A. Wellstead. (Accepted) Policy Work at Risk: The Case of the Northern Territory, Australia. Australian Journal of Public Administration.
- Evans, B. and A. Wellstead. (Accepted) Tales of Policy Estrangement: Non-governmental Policy Work and Capacity in Three Canadian Provinces. Canadian Journal of Nonprofit and Social Economy Research.
- Wellstead, A. and R. Stedman. (Accepted) Addressing the Challenges of Climate Change Policy: Integrating Public Management and Public Policy Studies. International Journal of Public Administration.
- Vesel, A., Wellstead. A. and B. Evans. (Accepted) Comparing sub-national policy workers in Canada and the Czech Republic: Who are they, what they do, and why it matters? Policy and Society.
- Howlett, M., Tan, S. Migone, A., Wellstead, A. and B. Evans. (Accepted) Policy Formulation and the Tools of Policy Appraisal: The Distribution of Analytical Techniques in Policy Advisory Systems Public Policy and Administration.
- Petersen, B. and A. Wellstead. 2014. Responding to a Forest Catastrophe: The Emergence of New Governance Arrangements in Southern California. ISRN Economics.
- Wellstead, A. Rayner, J. and M. Howlett. 2014. Beyond the Black Box: Forest Sector Vulnerability Assessments and Adaptation to Climate Change in North America. Environmental Science and Policy. 35. 109-116
- Rayner, J., K. McNutt and A. Wellstead. 2013. Dispersed Capacity and Weak Coordination: The Challenge of Climate Change Adaptation in Canada's Forest Policy Sector. Review of Policy Research. 30:1. 66-90.
- Newman, J., A. Perl, A. Wellstead and K. McNutt. 2013. Policy Capacity for Climate Change in Canada's Transportation Sector. Review of Policy Research. 30:1. 19-41.
- Howlett, J., and J. Rayner. 2013. Understanding Governance in the Forest Sector: Overcoming Latent Structural-Functionalism in Climate Change Vulnerability Assessments. Ecology and Society. 18(3): 23
- Evans, B. and A. Wellstead. 2013. Policy Dialogue and Engagement Between Non-Government Organizations and Government: A Survey of Processes and Instruments of Canadian Policy Workers. Central European Journal of Public Policy. 7:1. 60-86.
- Doelle, M., Tollefson, C., Henschel, C., A. Wellstead, and J. Smith. 2012. New Governance Arrangements at the Intersection of Climate Change and Forest Policy: Institutional, Political and Regulatory Dimensions. Public Administration. 90:1. 37-55.
- Wellstead, A. and R. Stedman. 2012.The Role of Climate Change Policy Work in Canada, Canadian Political Science Review, Vol 6, No 1 (117-124). Read More
- Howlett, M. and A. Wellstead. 2012. The Nature of Policy Work and Policy Capacity at the Sub-national Level: Evidence from Canada's Provinces and Territories. Canadian Public Administration. 55:1. 53-68.
- Howlett, M. and A. Wellstead. 2012. Policy Work in Multi-Level States: Institutional Autonomy and Task Allocation among Canadian Policy Analysts. Canadian Journal of Political Science. 45:4. 757-780.
- Wellstead, A., R. Stedman, and M. Howlett. 2011. Multi-Level Policy Analytical Capacity in Canada: A Structural Equation Model (SEM) Study of Federal, Provincial and Territorial Policy Analysts and Analysis. Public Policy and Administration.
- Aubin, I. , C.M. Garbe , S. Colombo , C. R. Drever , D. W. McKenney, C. Messier, J. Pedlar, M. A. Saner , L. Venier, A. M. Wellstead , R. Winder , E. Witten , C. Ste-Marie. 2011. Why we disagree about assisted migration : Ethical implications of a key debate regarding the future of Canada's forests. Forestry Chronicle. 87. 755-765.
- Howlett, M. and A. Wellstead. 2011. Policy Analysts in the Bureaucracy Revisited: The Nature of Professional Policy Work in Contemporary Government. Politics & Policy. 39: 613-633
Richelle L. Winkler
- Pandemic Migration in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula Read More
- Differential Privacy and the accuracy of county-level net migration estimates Read More
- The Future of Wildlife Conservation Funding
- Amenities or Disamenities? Impacts of extreme heat and wildfire on domestic US migration. Read More
- Urban socioeconomic inequality and biodiversity often converge, but not always. Read More.
- Exporting Consumption: Lifestyle Migration and Energy Use in Costa Rica. Read More.
- The Third Shift? Gender and Empowerment in a Women's Ecotourism Cooperative. Read More.
- Moving toward Integration? Effects of Migration on Ethnoracial Segregation across the Rural-Urban Continuum Read More
- How Migration Impacts Rural America Read More
- Emerging economic viability of grid defection in a northern climate using solar hybrid systems Read More
- Boom, bust and beyond: Arts and sustainability in Calumet, Michigan Read More
- Migration signatures: Net migration by age and race/ethnicity in U.S. counties, 1950-2010 Read More
- Winkler, Richelle. 2013. “Living on lakes: Segregated communities and social exclusion in a natural amenity destination.” The Sociological Quarterly 54 (1): 105-129. Read More
- Winkler, Richelle and Keith Warnke. 2013. “The future of hunting: An age-period-cohort analysis of deer hunter decline.” Population and Environment 34(4): 460-480 Read More
Lan (Emily) Zhang
- L. Zhang, L. Yan, B. Lin, H. Ding, Y. Fang and X. Fang, "Augmenting Transmission Environments for Better Communications: Tunable Reflector Assisted MmWave WLANs," in IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 69, no. 7, pp. 7416-7428, July 2020, doi: 10.1109/TVT.2020.2991547.
- R. Lu, L. Zhang, J. Ni and Y. Fang, "5G Vehicle-to-Everything Services: Gearing Up for Security and Privacy," in Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 373-389, Feb. 2020, doi: 10.1109/JPROC.2019.2948302.
- L. Zhang, L. Yan, Y. Fang, X. Fang and X. Huang, "A Machine Learning-Based Defensive Alerting System Against Reckless Driving in Vehicular Networks," in IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 68, no. 12, pp. 12227-12238, Dec. 2019, doi: 10.1109/TVT.2019.2945398.