Advance research that improves lives.
Develop biofuels. Create instantaneous tests to detect disease. Work in any branch of the life sciences.
Biochemists and molecular biologists investigate the microcosm of biomolecules, studying biological chemistry to understand the molecular and genetic bases of cellular processes. Specialize your studies in biological sciences or chemistry, then work toward creating solutions—lifesaving drugs and vaccines, cleaning up the environment, developing biofuels, or sustainable manufacturing processes.
Michigan Tech’s blended chemistry and biology degree—paired with research opportunities and lab-based learning—expand your potential. The 6,500 square foot three-story Unit Operations Lab and Process Simulation and Control Center features two fully automated pilot plants and a two-story batch reactor.
Be Ready for What Tomorrow Needs:
- Work with world-class faculty in state-of-the-art laboratories on research, projects, and lab assignments.
- Explore the connection of microRNA and proteins in the pancreas.
- Conduct your own undergraduate research project through the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program.
- Help other students in the Biological Sciences Learning Center or the Chemistry Learning Center.
Undergraduate Student Research
Our students and faculty know what tomorrow needs. Biologists use fruit flies to study wing spots, metabolism, and aging. That matters because the same genes and major metabolic pathways in fruit flies affect cancer and other diseases in humans.
Create the Future with Careers In:
- Lab Supervision
Huskies Get Hired By:
- Kimberly Clark
- Merck Pharmaceutical Company
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Government agencies and Universities
"Students are invited and encouraged to explore the world of chemistry beyond the classroom."
Customize your Degree:
Focus areas available in:
Minors available in:
- Biological Sciences
- Bioprocess Engineering
- Fish Biology
- Nanoscale Science and Engineering
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Plant Biotechnology
- Plant Sciences
You can also earn a master’s in one additional year through the Accelerated Master’s program.
Take Courses Like:
- Genetics Laboratory
- Cell Biology
- Applied and Industrial Microbiology
- Plant Physiology