At Michigan Technological University, our 7,200+ crazy smart students build and launch nanosatellites, make prosthetic ankles better, and connect robots with kids. This year alone, Michigan Tech undergraduates will spend 126,000 hours working alongside faculty mentors on paid research. Our 19 centers and institutes are armed with $78.7 million in research expenditures. Huskies go on to earn the ninth highest early career salaries in the country at $66,400 (median). It's a future like no other.
Michigan Technological University
1400 Townsend Drive
Houghton, MI 49931-1295
Colleges, Schools, and Departments
Our 7 colleges and schools develop, apply, and communicate science, engineering, technology, and mathematics in more than 120 degree programs.
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Engineering Fundamentals
- Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences
- Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics
- Computer Science
- Computer Network and System Sdministration; Mechatronics, Electrical, and Robotics Engineering Technology; Health Informatics
Michigan Tech's programs earn praise for quality and value—and for safety and quality of life. Recent rankings include:
College Magazine, 2017
Master's Programs Guide, 2018
Money Magazine, 2017
Brookings Institution, 2015
Money Magazine, 2017
College Factual, 2018
Washington Monthly, 2018
US News & World Report Graduate Rankings
Enrollment and Retention
Data as of 2018-19 academic year. All enrollment numbers include online learning.
- Masters students: 781
- PhD students: 546
- Graduate non-degree: 48
Loading. . .
Percentage of students who began their studies in Fall 2017 and returned in Fall 2018.
Entering Class Profile
Graduation and Placement
Degree data as of the 2016–17 school year. Placement data as of 2017-18. Alumni data as of 2017-18.
- College of Engineering: 1,166
- College of Sciences and Arts: 357
- School of Business and Economics: 130
- School of Technology: 65
- School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science: 65
- Interdisciplinary: 22
The Michigan Tech alumni network covers six continents, over 100 countries, and all 50 states.
Six Year Undergraduate Graduation Rate
The world requires innovation—now more than ever. Science. Technology. Engineering. Math. Along the shores of Lake Superior, researchers, students, and entrepreneurs create the future. Research data as of 2016-17 academic year.
Loading. . .
Research at Michigan Tech brings faculty, graduate and undergraduate students, community, government, and industrial partners together to create the future.
- Atmospheric and Space Sciences
- Computation, Data, Electronics, and Sensing
- Ecology, Ecosystems, and Environmental Policy
- Education and Outreach
- Energy and Sustainability
- Human Factors and Psychological Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Macro-, Micro-, and Nano-sciences
- Ocean Sciences
- Robotics and Mechanics
- Transportation and Infrastructure
Centers and Institutes
Research centers and institutes help to promote interdisciplinary work that involves faculty and research staff from several different departments on and off campus.
- Advanced Power Systems Research Center (APSRC)
- Center for Agile and Interconnected Microgrids (AIM)
- Center for Technology & Training (CTT)
- Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences Institute (EPSSI)
- Ecosystem Science Center (ESC)
- Great Lakes Research Center (GLRC)
- Health Research Institute (HRI)
- Institute of Computing and Cybersystems (ICC)
- Institute of Materials Processing (IMP)
- Keweenaw Research Center (KRC)
- Michigan Tech Aerospace Engineering Research Center (MARC)
- Michigan Tech Research Institute (MTRI)
- Michigan Tech Transportation Institute (MTTI)
- Multi-Scale Technologies Institute (MuSTI)
- Pre-College Innovative Outreach Institute (PIOI)
- Research and Innovation in STEM Education Institute (RISE)
- Sustainable Futures Institute (SFI)
- The Center for Leadership and Innovation for Transformation (LIFT)
- The Elizabeth and Richard Henes Center for Quantum Phenomena (CQP)
Blizzard T. Husky is the mascot for the Michigan Tech Huskies. Our spirit colors are black and gold.
Financials and Expenses
Financial information for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2018.
- Total expenditures: $256,984,113
- State appropriation: $49,081,629
- Tuition and fees: $98,449,561
- Grants and contracts: $48,021,795
- Auxiliary and other revenues: $34,748,632
- Gifts raised: $37,390,000
- Endowment: $106,400,000
A college degree is an investment in your future. Every effort is made to maintain high academic standards at the lowest possible cost to you, the student. Educational expenses will vary according to your personal needs, degree program, and course choices.