At Michigan Technological University, our 7,000+ Huskies build and launch nanosatellites, make prosthetic ankles better, and connect robots with kids. This year alone, Michigan Tech undergraduates will spend more than 107,000 hours working alongside faculty mentors on paid research. Our 16 centers and institutes are armed with $91.1 million in research expenditures. Graduates go on to earn the ninth highest starting salaries in the country at $65,000 (median). We're a flagship for tomorrow—with Huskies at the helm.
- University Type: Public
- Founded: 1885
- Location: Houghton, MI
- President: Dr. Richard J. Koubek
- Leadership Team: President's Council
- Campus Size: 925 acres
- Ford Center (Alberta, Michigan): 4,609 acres
- Academic Calendar: Semester System
- Faculty: 472
- Staff: 1,108
Michigan Technological University
1400 Townsend Drive
Houghton, MI 49931-1295
Colleges and Departments
Our colleges and schools develop, apply, and communicate science, engineering, technology, and mathematics in more than 140 degree programs.
College of Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil, Environmental, and Geospatial Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Engineering Fundamentals
- Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences
- Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics
College of Computing
- Computer Science
- Computer Network and System Administration; Mechatronics, Electrical, and Robotics Engineering Technology; Health Informatics
College of Business
College of Forest Resources and Environmental Science
Enrollment and Retention
Data as of 2022-23 academic year. All enrollment numbers include online learning.
- Masters students: 820
- PhD students: 500
- Graduate non-degree: 44
Loading. . .
Percentage of students who began their studies in Fall 2021 and returned in Fall 2022.
Entering Class Profile
Graduation and Placement
Degree data as of the 2021–22 school year. Placement data as of 2020-21. Alumni data as of 2021-22.
- College of Engineering: 1,056
- College of Sciences and Arts: 308
- College of Business: 116
- College of Computing:183
- College of Forest Resources and Environmental Science: 69
- Interdisciplinary: 22
The Michigan Tech alumni network covers six continents, over 100 countries, and all 50 states.
Six Year Undergraduate Graduation Rate
The world requires innovation—now more than ever. Science. Technology. Engineering. Math. Along the shores of Lake Superior, researchers, students, and entrepreneurs create the future. Research data as of 2021-22 academic year.
more than 107,000
Loading. . .
Research at Michigan Tech brings faculty, graduate and undergraduate students, community, government, and industrial partners together to create the future.
- Atmospheric and Space Sciences
- Computation, Data, Electronics, and Sensing
- Ecology, Ecosystems, and Environmental Policy
- Education and Outreach
- Energy and Sustainability
- Human Factors and Psychological Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Macro-, Micro-, and Nano-sciences
- Materials and Manufacturing
- Ocean Sciences
- Robotics and Mechanics
- Transportation and Infrastructure
Centers and Institutes
Research centers and institutes help to promote interdisciplinary work that involves faculty and research staff from several different departments on and off campus.
- Advanced Power Systems Research Center (APSRC)
- Center for Applied Mathematics and Statistics (CAMS)
- Center for Technology & Training (CTT)
- Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences Institute (EPSSI)
- Ecosystem Science Center (ESC)
- Great Lakes Research Center (GLRC)
- Health Research Institute (HRI)
- Institute for Policy, Ethics, and Culture (IPEC)
- Institute of Computing and Cybersystems (ICC)
- Institute of Materials Processing (IMP)
- Keweenaw Research Center (KRC)
- Michigan Tech Aerospace Engineering Research Center (MARC)
- Michigan Tech Research Institute (MTRI)
- Michigan Tech Transportation Institute (MTTI)
- Research and Innovation in STEAM Education (RISE)
- The Elizabeth and Richard Henes Center for Quantum Phenomena (CQP)
Blizzard T. Husky is the mascot for the Michigan Tech Huskies. Our spirit colors are black and gold.
Financials and Expenses
Financial information for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2022.
- Total expenditures: $261,169,992
- State appropriation: $53,337,200
- Tuition and fees: $102,157,014
- Grants and contracts: $64,011,490
- Auxiliary and other revenues: $34,094,553
- Gifts raised: $46,996,772
- Endowment: $147,630,662
A college degree is an investment in your future. Every effort is made to maintain high academic standards at the lowest possible cost to you, the student. Educational expenses will vary according to your personal needs, degree program, and course choices.