Current Requirements are effective for students enrolling Fall 2015 or later.
The General Education curriculum consists of the following general requirements. Detailed requirements are in the table below.
- Core courses (12 credits)
- HASS Electives (12 credits) |Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
- STEM (15 credits) | Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Co-curricular activities (3 semester units)
Required Courses and Goals
For each requirement, there are lists of approved courses.
- Please note that only courses on the approved HASS lists will count for General Education. This means, for example, that all HU courses are not eligible for the HU component of the HASS requirement. Students should verify that they are taking approved courses to complete their General Education requirements -- some courses not approved for HASS may have similar titles.
- Some courses appear on more than one list (multiple HASS lists, HASS and Core lists,
or on the HASS and STEM lists). Each course can only be used to satisfy a single requirement.
- For example, courses that appear on both HASS and STEM lists can count toward either HASS or STEM requirements on a student's degree audit, but not both.
Each General Education course is selected to help build student competencies towards the Undergraduate Student-Learning Goals. The "Target Goals" identified for each main general education requirement are outlined in the table below.
Identifying General Education Courses for Registration
General Education courses offered during a specific semester that meet these requirements can be identified using the "Attribute Type" when searching the Schedule of Classes. The "Attribute Type" associated with each main requirement is noted in the table below.
Students will be permitted to transfer courses from other institutions to satisfy these requirements. Students must check with the Michigan Tech Transfer Services Office to find out which courses qualify before a class is taken off-campus.
(please see here for the specific lists of courses)
|Requirement||Credits||Courses||USLG Goals||Attribute Type||Notes|
|CORE||3||Composition: UN1015||5 & 6||(none)||
|3||Global Issues: UN1025 or Modern Language Option||3 & 6||(none)|
|3||Critical and Creative Thinking
||4||Critical/Creative Thinking CORE||
|3||Social Responsibility and Ethical Reasoning
||8||Soc Resp/Ethical Reason CORE|
||3||Communication and Composition||5||Composition or Communication||
|3||Humanities/Fine Arts||3, 4, 5, 8||Humanities & Fine Arts|
|3||Social/Behavioral Science||3, 4, 5, 8||
Social & Behavioral Science
|3||Can be taken from any HASS List or HASS Restricted List||3, 4, 5, 8||
any other HASS code
|STEM||4||Mathematics List||2||STEM Mathematics||
STEM Lab Science
|4||Can be taken from the Mathematics, Science, or Restricted STEM lists.||2||any of the STEM codes|
3 semester units required.
Co-Curricular FA Activity
Co-Curricular Phys Activity
Students who enrolled prior to the 2015-2016 academic year will follow the former General Education program. Information on the previous program requirements are available from the registrar. Substitutions for the General Education courses are as follows:
Course Equivalency Chart
Students enrolled before the 2015-16 academic year may make the substitutions noted below to meet the General Education requirements.
|Current Requirements||Credits||Prior Requirements (allowed substitutions)|
|Composition: UN1015||3||UN2001 Revisions*|
|Global Issues: UN1025||3||Modern Language Option or UN1002 World Cultures*|
|Critical and Creative Thinking||3||UN1001 Perspectives on Inquiry*
HUFA List (2013-14, 2014-15)
|Social Responsibility and Ethical Reasoning||3||UN2002 Institutions*
SBS List (2013-14, 2014-15)
|HASS||12||Any 12 credits from any current HASS list, or HASS list from enrollment year
Mathematics: 4 credits (minimum)
*These courses are no longer offered at Michigan Tech
Related Senate Policies
The current General Education program was adopted for students enrolling in Fall 2015.