Design, build, test, and direct robots.
Whatever it is that hooked you—from your FIRST or VEX Robotics team to the increasingly automated processes all around us—you’re fascinated by robots and robotic systems. Explore robotics engineering and transform your curiosity and passion into a career working with robots and other human-machine integrated environments.
Robotics engineering combines elements of electrical and mechanical engineering with computer science for a strong balance that also includes microprocessor integration. Since 2010, demand for robots has been rising at an average rate of 19 percent annually due to automation and technical innovation in the development of industrial robots.
Globally, robot installations have increased to more than 2.4 million, and the industry shows no sign of slowing down. Find success as a Michigan Tech graduate. Apply your skills to find creative solutions to engineering problems involving robots or robotics systems, and learn the whys and hows of interfacing robots with other systems.
Be Ready for What Tomorrow Needs:
- Design a vision system for work with a robotic arm, or an automatic power system for weather buoys—one of many projects taken on by our Robotic Systems Enterprise
- Work alongside faculty conducting research on autonomous vehicles above and below ground (and underwater)
- Pitch your own robotic invention at the Husky Innovate competition, one of several opportunities for student entrepreneurs to win acclaim and funding
- Along with other Huskies, share your FIRST Robotics passion with local kids involved in the program
Create Tomorrow with Careers In:
- Automotive Industries
- Electrical and Electronic Industries
- Manufacturing (including metal and machinery)
“Robotics Engineering will cover all the skills you need for developing autonomous vehicles. It’s a unique set of skills now in heavy demand, with a little bit of everything—all the letters (M’s, E’s and C’s) and a little bit more—with a focus on learning the cutting edge.”
Huskies Get Hired By:
Customize your Degree:
Take electives like:
- Engineering Ethics
- Sensation and Perception
- Human Performance
Take Courses Like:
- Linux Fundamentals
- Introduction to Robotics
- Robot Operating Systems
- Autonomous Vehicle Design
- Circuits and Instrumentation for Cyber Physical Systems