Michigan Technological University is pleased to recognize exceptional incoming first-year students pursuing any major who have actively competed on a FIRST Robotics Competition, FIRST Tech Challenge team, or in VEX Robotics during their high school career. Michigan, non-Michigan, and international students are welcome to apply. Test scores are not needed to apply for this scholarship.
A total of sixteen (16) scholarships valued at $4,000 per year will be awarded annually. The scholarship is renewable for four years (eight semesters) of full-time undergraduate study based upon meeting renewal criteria.
Students pursing any major may receive the FIRST Scholarship in addition to any merit-based scholarships.
Current high school seniors who have actively competed on a FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) team or FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC), or VEX Robotics team during their high school career are invited to apply. Students pursing any major are welcome to apply. Test scores are not needed to apply for this scholarship.
- Students must apply for admission to Michigan Tech by November 15.
- Complete the FIRST Scholarship application by November 15. Create an account using your personal email address and set your own password. If you have already set up your Application Portal or applied for Michigan Tech scholarships, log in to your current account.
- A recommendation from an adult leader of your robotics team is required and is due by November 16. During the application process, you will be asked to provide an email address for this person. Be sure to have their email address when you begin the application process.
- ACT or SAT scores are not required to receive full consideration for this award for 2022.
- November 15: FIRST Scholarship applications are due by 11:59 p.m. (eastern). You must also have an application for admission on file by this date. Nominators have until November 16 to submit their letter of recommendation.
- January 15: Award recipients and applicants are notified. Students not selected will be notified on the Application Portal.
See our Financial Aid FIRST Scholarship page for additional details.