Investigate. Calculate. Simplify. Create.
Work outside the traditional laboratory at the intersection of chemistry and information technology. Explore the properties of nanomolecules. Model molecular structure.
Cheminformatics is at the intersection of chemistry and information technology. You’ll develop an in-demand skill set combining a technical understanding of chemistry with computer expertise to support investigation of chemicals and materials that are not practical for laboratory analysis, model individual molecules or the behaviors of chemical compounds within the natural world, or develop information-storage solutions at the molecular level.
Research-based learning takes place in our seven labs with state-of-the-art equipment—mass spectrometry to DNA/RNA synthesizers.
Be Ready for What Tomorrow Needs:
- Blend your love of chemistry and computers to prepare for a variety of fields including pharmaceutical and chemical manufacturing, forensic science, medical and graduate school, or even careers in public health.
- Conduct your own undergraduate research project through the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program.
- Use state-of-the-art equipment for lab assignments, research, and projects.
- Take the Professional Development for Chemists course series that will prepare students for job hunting, communications, scientific methods, and other aspects of their future careers as chemists.
Create the Career with Careers In:
- Forensic Science
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
- Medical and Law School
- Science Communications
Huskies Get Hired By:
- Dow Chemical
- SC Johnson
- Merck Pharmaceutical
"My first visit to Michigan Tech was my junior year in high school and I immediately fell in love with the campus and the chemistry department. Chemistry faculty was able to direct me to the cheminformatics degree, combining my passion of chemistry and computer programming."
Customize your Degree:
Minors available in:
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
You can also earn a master’s in one additional year through the Accelerated Master’s program.
Take Courses Like:
- Biomolecular Chemistry
- Introduction to Programming
- Physical Chemistry
- Quantitative Analysis
- Discrete Structures