The Research and Innovation in STEAM Education Institute (RISE) provides services for faculty and staff interested in science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics education at all levels.
The purpose of the Research and Innovation in STEAM Education Institute (RISE) is to recognize, strengthen, and encourage collaboration in STEAM education pedagogy through fundamental and discipline based education research (DBER), and to establish Michigan Technological University as a leader in Michigan, the nation, and the world in the area of STEAM education research. The RISE Institute is aligned with the vision for Centers and Institutes on the Michigan Tech campus, which is to help to promote interdisciplinary work that involves faculty from several different departments on and off campus.
- Culture: The RISE Institute promotes a culture that values teamwork and collaboration, and recognizes all contributions of faculty, staff, and students to meet our mission. To facilitate this culture, the RISE Institute provides support to the University community through programming directed towards implementation of outreach, scholarship and educational research. We acknowledge, respect and promote the importance of diversity and equity in an inclusive environment.
- Vision: A collaborative, interdisciplinary community fostering excellent and inclusive STEAM opportunities for all.
Maintain a robust and diverse community of stakeholders at Michigan Tech, who will serve as the bridge from proposal preparation and submission through empirical activities to outreach and dissemination by engaging in the following activities:
- Serve the research and scholarship activities of the community of educational researchers at Michigan Tech
- Build capacity and diversity in STEAM disciplines through networking, scholarly pursuits and interdisciplinary research related to innovative pedagogy, transformative learning, and cutting-edge teaching and learning practices
- Maximize inter-department collaboration to eliminate program duplication, enabling effective use of resources while maximizing the impact made on the Michigan Tech community