Technology, meet biology.
Improve human life in high-demand fields on the frontier of data handling—genotyping, genomic sequence analysis, database administration, and pharmacogenomics.
Bioinformatics is a fusion of biology and information technology. Specialists use computational analyses to study the vast information provided by modern molecular biology—such as DNA sequences. You’ll be prepared to enter a cutting-edge field of biology/medicine and analyze data that may support the creation of new pharmaceuticals, treatments for life-altering diseases, improvements in crop production, or protection of the environment.
Apply for a summer undergraduate research fellowship and get paid to conduct a research project with help from Michigan Tech faculty. Use leading technology, like DNA sequencers. Develop real-world products with industry partners.
Crazy Smart Experiences:
- Working with world-class faculty in state-of-the-art laboratories on research, projects, and lab assignments
- Helping other students in the Biological Sciences Learning Center or the Computer Science Learning Center
- Getting involved with undergraduate research in areas such as genomics and gene promoters or creating applications for Citizen Science.
- Assisting faculty on research in gene analysis from several biological systems in the area of biological sciences and forestry
Create the Future with Careers In:
- Application Programming
- Microarray Analysis
Huskies Get Hired By:
- Kimberly Clark
- Merck Pharmaceutical Company
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Government agencies and Universities
Customize your Degree:
Minors available in:
- Biological Science
- Bioprocess Engineering
- Fish Biology
- Nanoscale Science and Engineering
- Plant Biotechnology
- Plant Sciences
You can also earn a master’s in one additional year through the Accelerated Master’s program.
Take Courses Like:
- Molecular Biology
- Introduction to Genomics
- Introduction to Programming
- Biochemical Laboratory Techniques
- Data Structures