Chapter 11: Disposition, Disposals, and Transfers


University departments may trade-in property for new items, when the property being traded in is University-owned and where the new items acquired are titled to Michigan Technological University.

Equipment owned by the government or other sponsor can be trade-in on new items with the approval of the sponsor grant or contracting officer. University titled equipment with a trade- in value of $5,000 or more and purchased on government funds may also require sponsor grant or contracting officer approval.

The Manager of Purchasing approves trade-in of all property.  No other department has the authority to enter into negotiations to trade-in surplus equipment or furnishings.