Master backstage operations.
Lighting, scenery, sound, management—land your dream job in the entertainment industry at a leading company like Disney or Electronic Theatre Controls.
Theatre and entertainment technology allows you to master the art of the backstage—perfecting scenery, lighting, costumes, makeup, sound, and management. You’ll study art and design along with engineering technology or business to develop the skills needed to blend solid technical expertise with innovation, artistry, and creativity.
Do real-world projects from Day One: join a mainstage production, work on an audio play. Get expertise in event staging, museum display, and themed retail. Limited enrollment gives you more time with professors, advisors, and equipment. Blend innovation, artistry, and creativity with solid technical expertise at a leading STEM university.
Be Ready for What Tomorrow Needs:
- Develop a professional portfolio starting your first semester.
- Work one-on-one with your advisor each semester to talk about your progress and class schedule and to connect you with production experiences at Michigan Tech.
- Attend professional conferences where you’ll meet with industry professionals and present your work.
- Focus your education not only on traditional theatre, but also on event staging, museum displays, and themed retail and entertainment venues.
- Research and designing costume, lighting, or scenic design for mainstage productions.
Create the Future with Careers In:
- Road crews for theatrical touring companies
- Production crews
- Assistant design
Huskies Get Hired By:
- Cirque de Soleil
- Electronic Theatre Controls
- Independent theaters
- Production companies
"Maybe next summer I will combine the two and work for an entertainment company like TAIT Towers doing engineering work."
Customize your Degree:
Minors available in:
- Music (concentrations are available in general music, music technology, and jazz idiom)
- Music Composition
- Music Performance
- Technical Theatre
- Theatre Arts
Take Courses Like:
- Three-Dimensional Design
- Costume Design
- Stage Makeup
- Stage Mechanics and Rigging