Formulate, test, and analyze drugs.
Analyze compounds, help develop guidelines, and contribute to quality of life. Michigan Tech’s program provides strong skills in modern techniques, like computer-aided drug design.
Pharmaceutical chemists formulate, test, and analyze drugs; conduct research to understand drug compounds; and develop guidelines regarding new drugs and the processes used to create them. You’ll gain an understanding of biomedical issues and the health applications of compounds that affect living tissue. Plus, you’ll develop skills in modern chemical techniques, such as computer-aided drug design.
Work in advanced labs with equipment like mass spectrometers and DNA/RNA synthesizers. Spend most of your learning time conducting research—both on your own and alongside faculty.
Be Ready for What Tomorrow Needs:
- Conduct your own undergraduate research project through the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program.
- Use state-of-the-art equipment for lab assignments, research, and projects.
- Take the Professional Development for Chemists course series that will prepare students for job hunting, communications, scientific methods, and other aspects of their future careers as chemists.
- Get involved with the student chapter of the American Chemical Society and attending and presenting at regional and national conferences.
- Help other students at the Chemistry Learning Center.
Create the Future with Careers In:
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
- Forensic Science
- Graduate School
Huskies Get Hired By:
- Dow Chemical
- SC Johnson
- Merck Pharmaceutical
Customize your Degree:
Minors available in
You can also earn a master’s in one additional year through the Accelerated Master’s program.
Take Courses Like:
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry: Drug Action
- Spectroscopy of Organic Chemistry
- Bioanalytical Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- General Immunology