Combine math and computing skills and find the boundaries. Qualify to take the Fundamentals of Surveying exam, and be certified as a professional surveyor.
Geospatial engineers measure the physical features of the Earth with great precision. Combine a love of math, computing, and the outdoors with tools ranging from remote-sensing systems to transits to verify and establish land boundaries or the design and layout of infrastructure, including roads, bridges, and cell phone towers. Focus your studies on geodesy, cartography, photogrammetry, or geographic information systems (GIS).
Work with unmanned aerial vehicles, GIS, LiDAR scanning systems, and software. Develop the skills to work with the technology of the future. Participate in co-ops, internships, and undergraduate research opportunities.
Be Ready for What Tomorrow Needs:
- Use state-of-the-art technology such as high-precision optical and electronic instruments for measuring angles, elevations, and distances; Global Positioning System (GPS) techniques; and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technology.
- Participate in undergraduate research in 3D mapping of various historical sites in the local area or researching GPS mapping accuracy using our new on-campus CORS Station.
- Take your course experiences and taking the Fundamentals of Surveying exam, your first step toward certification as a professional surveyor.
- Learn from world-class faculty in small classes, allowing you to know your professor on a first-name basis.
Create the Future with Careers In:
- Field layout engineering
Huskies Get Hired By:
- Black & Veatch
- Michigan Department of Transportation
- Northeast Land Surveys
- US Department of the Interior
"Sitting at a desk job from 9 to 5 never truly appealed to me; I was looking for a career that would fulfill my need for adventure and allow me to spend time outdoors."
Customize your Degree:
Focus areas available in:
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Minors are available in:
- Data Acquisition and Industrial Control
You can also earn a master’s in one additional year through the Accelerated Master’s program.
Take Courses Like:
- Plane Surveying
- Route and Construction Surveying
- Geographic Information Systems Technology
- 3D Surveying and Modeling
- Geospatial Data Fusion