Work to sustain natural resources.
Live and breathe what you’re learning on our 5,264 acres of forest at a university ranked No. 12 among best small colleges for environmentally minded students and fifth in the nation for natural resources and conservation programs.
Combine ecological, social, and biotechnological aspects of natural resource conservation and management and you’ve got applied ecology and environmental sciences. You’ll develop skills to protect the integrity of our world’s ecosystems and ensure the sustainability of natural resources.
Faculty and students on a first-name basis, $1,000 earn-and-learn assistantships for all incoming students, and 714 hours of outdoor coursework. Join The FERM, Michigan Tech’s program for professional development that puts student teams in charge of conservation management for communities.
Crazy Smart Experiences:
- Participating in a 14-week field semester in our 4,609 acres of research forest
- Using state-of-the-art equipment and technology for lab assignments, research, and projects
- Conducting undergraduate research with faculty mentors on how increased levels of CO2 impact tree physiology and oils processes
- Working alongside faculty through the Earn and Learn Assistantship, offered to all accepted College of Forest Resources and Environmental Science students
Create the Future with Careers In:
- Natural Resource Management
- Outdoor Education
- Environmental Science
Huskies Get Hired By:
- USDA Forest Service
- Department of Natural Resources
- Department of Environmental Quality
- Natural resources and environmental consulting firms
Customize your Degree:
Focus areas available in:
- Communicating Natural Resources
- Plant Ecology and Wetlands
Minors are available in:
- Plant Biotechnology
- Plant Sciences
You can also earn a master’s in one additional year through the Accelerated Master’s program.
"All the professors involved in my major want to make sure I am able to achieve what I most want to do with my major: conserve and create beautiful forests, wetlands, and other natural features that bring comfort to those who seek it."
Take Courses Like:
- Forest and Landscape Hydrology
- Forest Health
- Insect Ecology
- Wildlife Habitat
- Conservation Biology