Michigan Technological University pleased to recognize exceptional students who have actively competed on a FIRST Robotics Competition or FIRST Tech Challenge team during their high school career. Students involved in VEX Robotics are also eligible to apply.
Value: Sixteen new incoming first-year undergraduate students will be awarded scholarships valued at $16,000 ($4,000/year). The scholarship is renewable for three years (eight semesters total) of full-time undergraduate study based upon meeting renewal criteria.
Renewal Criteria: Scholarship recipients must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.50 at the end of each spring semester. Continuous, regular full-time undergraduate enrollment (12 credits or more) and acceptable social behavior must also be maintained.
Who should Apply
Current high school seniors pursuing any major at Michigan Tech who have actively competed on a FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) team or FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) team during their high school career are invited to apply.
Participation in VEX Robotics also considered. Please indicate VEX on your scholarship application.
How to Apply
- Students must be accepted for admission to Michigan Tech prior to November 15 of their senior year in high school.
- Complete the FIRST Scholarship application by November 15 of your senior year in high school. The FIRST Scholarship application for the 2021-2022 academic year will be available in June 2020.
- Submit a one-page, double-spaced essay addressing the following topic: "Describe your participation in FIRST and how FIRST has influenced your career choice."
- Provide one letter of recommendation from an adult leader of your FIRST team.
Application Deadline and Other Important Information
- November 15, FIRST Scholarship applications are due by 11:59 p.m. (eastern).
- January 15: Award recipients and applicants are notified.