Michigan Technological University pleased to recognize exceptional students who have actively competed on a FIRST Robotics Competition or FIRST Tech Challenge team during their high school career. Students involved in VEX Robotics are also eligible to apply.
Michigan Resident Value: Eight Michigan resident students will be awarded scholarships valued at $5,000 per year. The scholarship is renewable for three years (eight semesters total) of full-time undergraduate study based upon meeting renewal criteria.
Non-Resident and International Student Value: Ten non-resident/international students will be awarded scholarships valued at $14,000 per year. The scholarship is renewable for three years (eight semesters total) of full-time undergraduate study based upon meeting renewal criteria.
Students who were previously awarded the Presidential Scholars Award, National Scholars Award, or International Ambassadors Scholarship are selected for a FIRST Scholarship will receive the award with the highest value--students can not receive both awards.
Non-resident Alumni Legacy and Military Family Education awardees who receive a FIRST Scholarship will receive the resident value of $5,000 per year.
Renewal Criteria: Scholarship recipients must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.50 at the end of each spring semester. Continuous, regular full-time undergraduate enrollment (12 credits or more) and acceptable social behavior must also be maintained. Recipients are required to live in University housing for the first two academic years--four academic semesters (not including summers), to maintain this scholarship. Students graduating from high schools within Houghton, Keweenaw, and Baraga counties (and have commuter status) are exempt from the on-campus living requirement.
Who should Apply
Current high school seniors who have actively competed on a FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) team or FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) team during their high school career are invited to apply.
Participation in VEX Robotics also considered. Please indicate VEX on your scholarship application.
How to Apply
- Students must be accepted for admission to Michigan Tech prior to November 15 of their senior year in high school.
- Complete the scholarship application by the extended deadline of November 27, by 11:59 p.m.
- Submit a one-page, double-spaced essay addressing the following topic: "Describe your participation in FIRST and how FIRST has influenced your career choice."
- Provide one letter of recommendation from an adult leader of your FIRST team.
Application Deadline and Other Important Information
- Extended deadline: November 27, FIRST Scholarship applications are due by 11:59 p.m. (eastern).
- January 15: Award recipients and applicants are notified.