What is the fee for submitting an application?
Our application is free and should be completed online.
What if I made a mistake in my application?
If you have made a mistake in your application in regards to the university attended, degree received, legal name, email address, phone number, mailing and/or permanent addresses, email MyGrad@mtu.edu to fix the issue.
The recommended deadline has passed, can I still apply?
Yes, all departments make decisions on a rolling basis with all deadlines being recommended. The departments will review all applications that are completed and provided to them.
Are funding opportunities available for graduate school?
If I e-mail the Graduate School or a faculty member my resume and test scores without an application, can you tell me if my application would be accepted?
It is not possible to informally review your materials to determine if you would be accepted to the program of your choice. Applications are reviewed using a holistic approach. Your entire application is reviewed, along with those in the applicant pool, to determine which students will succeed at Michigan Tech and contribute to the research needs of your program. Some programs have admissions guidance to aid in evaluating your own materials. Students are highly encouraged to apply as our application is free.
It has been over a week and I have not received my access to MyMichiganTech, what do I do?
If it has been over 7 business days since you submitted your application and you have not received two emails with your login credentials, please check your spam folder first. If it is not there, please email MyGrad@mtu.edu for us to resend and reset your information.
None of the residency options in the application apply to me, what do I choose?
Do I have to take the GRE?
- The GRE is offered at Michigan Tech and current Michigan Tech students may be eligible for a Fee Reduction Program.
If the name on your Test Scores does not match the name on your application, Official GRE Scores will not be able to be matched to your application. If you requested ETS to send your official GRE scores and it has been more than 2 weeks, email MyGrad@mtu.edu for assistance.
Do I need to provide English Proficiency Scores?
Applicants whose native language is not English must supply results of an English proficiency examination (TOEFL or IELTS). Applicants that hold citizenship from and/or attended post-secondary school in a country where the primary language is English, may e-mail the Graduate School to petition for a waiver.
If the name on your Test Scores does not match the name on your application, Official TOEFL Scores will not be able to be matched to your application. If you requested ETS to send your official TOEFL scores and it has been more than 2 weeks, email MyGrad@mtu.edu for assistance.
The Graduate School will verify any IELTS Scores with British Council making them Official upon receipt and processing.
Am I required to provide both Student Statements?
I would like to apply to more that one program at Michigan Tech, do I need to fill out multiple applications?
Yes, you will need to fill out an application form for each program you wish to apply to. Please notify our office (email@example.com) to confirm if you would like us to apply your documents (such as your letters of recommendation) to multiple applications.
I applied before to Michigan Tech, do I need to resubmit an application?
If you applied more than one year ago, you will be required to provide us with a new application, in addition, we will request that you provide us with new Letters of Recommendation and a new resume per the requirements of the program.
How do I know if my application is under review? What is my application status?
You can check the status of your application on your MyMichiganTech. Your application status will always be updated here first.
Definitions of our most frequently used status codes follow:Incomplete items outstanding
- Check for items marked as "Required" in your Missing section.
- Your application has been sent to the program, but a decision may not be processed until all application materials are received.
- Your application has been sent to the program and is under review. Your status will be updated once the Graduate School is notified of your application decision.
- You have been accepted to the program of study. Additional information will be sent to you by email and in your acceptance letter(s).
- You have been accepted to your program of study, but we need to receive your proof of funding documents and a copy of your passport in order to issue your immigration documents (I-20 / DS-2019).
- The program has decided to not admit you at this time.
When will I receive my admissions decision?
All application decisions are made by the program of study. The time frame for a decision varies among programs, as some programs make decisions by committee review.
If you have further questions about a program's timeline for application decisions, you can contact your Graduate Program Director.
When will I receive my student visa paperwork (I-20 or DS-2019)?
- After admission has been approved and all proof of funding documents and a copy of your passport are received and processed, visa paperwork will be sent via airmail unless express shipping is requested.
- For express shipping, Michigan Tech partners with eShip Global to send your immigration documents through FedEx Express or UPS.
- To request express shipping, you must first create an account with eShip Global.
- Request your shipment by choosing the "Receive" option with your account
- You must provide your Michigan Tech ID (M number), mailing address, e-mail address, phone number and credit card information.
- Select Graduate School as the recipient of the mailing labels.
- You will receive a tracking number when you submit your request, which will allow you to track the status of your shipment on the eShip Global web site.