Admissions FAQs

Admissions Frequently Asked Questions


The forms don't work. What should I do?

The Certification of Finances form is an example of a dynamic form. This type of form has scripting in it and will respond to information you provide. Only the information you need to give the Graduate School to process the form is displayed. This reduces errors in the form, which will allow us to process your request faster. Please use the newest version of Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat for best performance with our forms.

If you are experiencing problems try:

  1. Switching to a different browser. Currently, Internet Explorer is recommended.
    • There are known incompatibility issues with Firefox v19, Chrome, Preview (the PDF reader on a macintosh) and Linux machines.
    • Students who click on a form link and receive the message, "Please wait.... If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of your document..." have an incompatible browser or plug-in.
  2. Saving the file to your hard drive and open with the newest version of Acrobat Reader rather than clicking on the link and opening in your browser.
    1. Right-click or option-click the hyperlink
    2. Save the form on your hard drive.
    3. Open the file directly from Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
  3. Reconfiguring your browser to open PDF files using a compatible plug-in. Firefox users may reconfigure their browsers using the instructions below:
    1. Select Tools...Options from the menu bar
    2. Select the "Applications" tab in the pop up window
    3. Search for and select "Portable Document Format (PDF)" in the Content Type list
    4. Select "Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox)" as the Action
    5. Press "OK"


I can't access the online application. Who can I talk to?

If you are unable to login, there are a couple of things you need to check. In order to apply online, your machine must have cookies enabled. Our system cannot track your application, to allow you to move from page to page or return another time to finish it, for instance, without setting a cookie. Also check the caps lock. It should be off. Be sure you have typed in both your Login ID and 6-digit PIN you created correctly. You may also want to quit your browser and try again from the beginning. If all else fails, please contact The Graduate School by email or phone (906-487-2327).


What is the fee for submitting an application?

Our application is free and can be completed online.


Are there Summer Research Opportunities available?

Applicants should contact the faculty member whose research fits the closest with their interests to discuss availability of Summer Research Opportunities.


How can I know the status of my application?

When your initial application is received and processed by the Graduate School, you will be sent a confirming email with instructions for logging into your personalized MyMichiganTech website. You may check the status of your application, upload required documents, request electronic letters of recommendation, and verify your contact information on your MyMichiganTech website. Note that programs will generally not review applications until all materials, including letters of recommendation, have been received.


If I e-mail the Graduate School or a faculty member my resume and test scores without an application, can you tell me if my application would be accepted?

It is not possible to informally review your materials to determine if you would be accepted to the program of your choice. Applications are reviewed using a holistic approach. Your entire application is reviewed, along with those in the applicant pool, to determine which students will succeed at Michigan Tech and contribute to the research needs of your program. Some programs have admissions guidance to aid in evaluating your own materials.


Should/Can I find an advisor before I arrive on campus?

You are not required to identify an advisor before you arrive on campus. It is expected that you will identify an advisor during or before your second semester on campus. You are encouraged, however, to initiate conversations with faculty in your program to help define your research interests, identify potential funding sources, and determine courses that might best support your interests.


When is orientation? Am I required to attend?

Information about orientation can be found on the orientation web page. All new students are required to attend the Graduate School's orientation. You will receive an invitation to orientation approximately one month in advance. If there are extenuating circumstances that prevent you from attending orientation, or if you are obtaining a degree via distance learning, Graduate School staff will work with you to identify alternative methods to complete the requirement.


Do I have to take the GRE?

The GRE is required for most of our programs. Please check the program requirements to see if you will need to submit GRE scores.  The GRE is offered at Michigan Tech and current Michigan Tech students may be eligible for a Fee Reduction Program


Do I need to take the TOEFL?

Applicants whose native language is not English must supply results of an English proficiency examination (TOEFL or IELTS).  Applicants that hold citizenship from and/or attended post-secondary school in a country where the primary language is English, may e-mail the Graduate School to petition for a waiver.


May I submit an IELTS score instead of TOEFL?

The Graduate School will accept IELTS test scores to fulfill the English proficiency examination requirement.


I would like to apply to two programs at Michigan Tech, do I need to fill out two applications?

Yes, you will need to fill out two application forms.  Please notify our office ( to confirm if you would like us to apply your documents (such as LORs) to both applications.


Are funding opportunities available for graduate school?

Applicants are automatically considered for internal funding through teaching/research assistantships. Applicants can also apply for external funding opportunities, or inquire with faculty who have who have recently been awarded research funding.


When will I receive my student visa paperwork (I-20 or DS-2019)?

After admission has been approved and all financial documents are in order.


How do I request express shipping of my immigration documents?

Michigan Tech partners with eShip Global to send your immigration documents through FedEx Express or UPS.  To request express shipping, you must first create an account with eShip Global.  To request your shipment, choose the "Receive" option with your account and you must provide your Michigan Tech ID (M number), mailing address, e-mail address, phone number and credit card information. Please be sure to select Graduate School as the recipient of the mailing labels.

Once your shipment request is processed our office is notified and your documents are shipped to the address you provided. You will receive a tracking number when you submit your request, which will allow you to track the status of your shipment on the eShip Global web site.


How can I find housing prior to arrival on campus?

Student can browse available rentals prior to arriving on campus. On-campus housing is also available.


I applied two years ago to Michigan Tech, do I need to resubmit an application?

Applications will be kept on file for one year after the first day of the term for which you apply.


Is child care available on campus?

Yes, Little Huskies Child Care is available.


Are graduate students required to have health insurance?

Yes, all enrolled graduate students, with the exception of off-campus students, must have health insurance.