Vision and Mission
The Michigan Space Grant Consortium (MSGC) fosters awareness of, education in, and research on space and Earth-related science and technology in Michigan. Its mission is to create, develop, and promote programs that support its vision and reflect NASA strategic interests, and encourage cooperation between academia, industry, state and local government in space-related science and technology in Michigan.
The MSGC Grant and Fellowship Programs are regionally competitive, among 11 Universities in Michigan. Space Grant offers fellowship programs for graduate and undergraduate students, as well as research seed grants and program grants for faculty. The Consortium offers close to $100,000 of support for undergraduate and Graduate Research Fellowships, Research Seed Grants, and Public Service Grants in aerospace, space science, Earth system science, and other related science, engineering, or mathematical fields. Fellows and Grantees are encouraged to participate in the annual fall conference in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Applications must first be submitted to Michigan Tech for approval before being sent to MSGC.
- Undergraduate and graduate student fellowship applications: Wednesday, November 3, by noon
- All other submissions: Wednesday, October 20, by noon
Final materials, reviewed and approved by SPO, must be uploaded to MSGC by Wednesday, November 10 by 5 p.m..
Applications submitted without conforming to the internal process will be withdrawn from MSGC consideration.
- Required: Contact Sponsored Programs (SPO) by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (906-487-2226). You will be assigned a SPO analyst who will provide assistance on creating a budget and completion of other required forms depending on the funding opportunity for which you are applying.
- Review the MSGC guidelines and complete the online application. Please note, DO NOT submit your application to MSGC until after your application is reviewed internally. Once reviewed, you will receive approval from SPO that your proposal is ready for submission through the portal. (see step 4).
- Electronically deliver ALL documents required for your program submission as listed on the MSGC website as well as MTU-specific forms (to include transmittal form, budget, transcripts, cost share form, project description and printout of your unsubmitted MSGC application) to Mia Kemppainen in the Graduate School no later than noon on deadline day. That's Wednesday, October 20 for research seed grants and public service grants, or Wednesday, November 3 for undergraduate and graduate research fellowships.
Modified Submission Process for 2021
In a normal year, a part of the submission process requires that you physically bring a hard copy of your completed proposal packet to Mia Kemppainen by the stated internal deadline. As we all know, these are not normal times, and, because social distancing restrictions can fluctuate, proposal packet submissions should be submitted electronically to email@example.com.
Electronic submission details are as follows:
- Materials to include: Contact Mia Kemppainen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 906-487-2326 for a list of the order in which documents should be scanned as the required documentation varies depending on the type of MSGC submission
- Quality of acceptable scans: High resolution to enable the production of clear and highly legible copies.
- How to scan: Files can be submitted as separate documents. We request that the Michigan Tech internal budget spreadsheet be sent as a separate Excel document along with a pdf of the required proposal documents.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Mia Kemppainen at email@example.com or 906-487-2326. Best of luck on your submission.
- The Graduate School will deliver your application and all supporting materials to SPO for final review. After the final review of your materials is complete, you will receive an email that your application has been approved for submission. This final email will provide permission and directions for uploading your application packet to MSGC which must be done before Wednesday, November 10 by 5 p.m..
Applications submitted without conforming to the above internal process will be withdrawn from MSGC consideration.
Application and Review Process
The MSGC-specific application and review processes are available online. MSGC Awards will be announced in early spring of 2022.