Funding has been awarded for the 2023-24 cycle. Recipients of the awards can be found on the Michigan Space Grant Consortium website. Congratulations!
Vision and Mission
The Michigan Space Grant Consortium (MSGC) fosters awareness of, education in, and research on space and Earth-related science and technology in Michigan. Its mission is to create, develop, and promote programs that support its vision and reflect NASA strategic interests, and encourage cooperation between academia, industry, state and local government in space-related science and technology in Michigan.
The MSGC Grant and Fellowship Programs are regionally competitive, among 11 Universities in Michigan. Space Grant offers fellowship programs for graduate and undergraduate students, as well as research seed grants and program grants for faculty. The Consortium offers close to $100,000 of support for undergraduate and Graduate Research Fellowships, Research Seed Grants, and Public Service Grants in aerospace, space science, Earth system science, and other related science, engineering, or mathematical fields. Fellows and Grantees are encouraged to participate in the annual fall conference in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Note: MSGC Fellowships are open for US citizens only.
Instructions for Finding MSGC funding opportunities
The MSGC website can be overwhelming. We recommend searching for funding using the dropdown sub-menus under the “Funding” top menu.
Applications must first be submitted to Michigan Tech for approval before being sent to MSGC.
- Undergraduate and graduate student fellowship applications: Wednesday, November 9, 2022 by noon
- All other submissions: Wednesday, October 19, 2022 by noon
Final materials, reviewed and approved by the Sponsored Programs Office (SPO), must be uploaded to MSGC by Wednesday, November 16, 2022 by 5 p.m..
Applications submitted without conforming to the internal process will be withdrawn from MSGC consideration.
- Contact Sponsored Programs (SPO) by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (906-487-2226). You will be assigned a SPO analyst who will provide assistance on creating a budget and completion of other required forms depending on the funding opportunity for which you are applying.
- Review the MSGC guidelines and complete and save the online application as a PDF. DO NOT submit your application to MSGC until after your application is approved by Michigan Tech Sponsored Programs.
- Complete and gather all materials for review by SPO.
- Materials to include: ALL documents required for your program submission as listed on the MSGC website (including the unsubmitted MSGC application) and the MTU budget worksheet and transmittal form
- Do not combine files. Submit each file as a separate document.
- Acceptable formats. Budget spreadsheets must be in Excel. All other documents must be PDF’s
- Email your materials to email@example.com Mia Kemppainen in the Graduate School no later than noon on deadline day.
- Deadline for research seed grants and public service grants: Wednesday, October 19, 2022
- Deadline for undergraduate and graduate research fellowships: Wednesday, November 9, 2022
- The Graduate School will deliver your application and all supporting materials to SPO for final review. After the final review of your materials is complete, you will receive an email that your application has been approved for submission. This final email will provide permission and directions for uploading your application packet to MSGC which must be done before Wednesday, November 16, 2022 by 5 p.m.
Applications submitted without conforming to the above internal process will be withdrawn from MSGC consideration.