There is no fee for submitting an application. Application to the Graduate School is free and all parts of the application process need to be completed online.
If you have made a mistake in your application in regards to past universities attended, degrees received, legal name, email address, phone number, mailing and/or permanent addresses, email email@example.com to fix the issue.
Yes. All departments make decisions on a rolling basis with all deadlines being recommended. Departments will review all completed applications provided to them.
Yes. Graduate funding is competitive, and the majority of funding is awarded to PhD students.
- PhD students - typically, PhD students are considered for funding during the admissions process for internal funding through graduate assistantships.
- Master's students - in general, for funding, students are self-supported. If support is available it is considered during the admissions process. If your program only offers a coursework option or if you are accepted as a coursework student, funding is not available.
The majority of our self-supported students work hourly, on-campus, positions to offset their educational costs. Applicants may also apply for external funding opportunities, or inquire with faculty who have recently been awarded research funding about assistantship opportunities.
It is not possible to informally review your materials to determine if you would be accepted to the program of your choice. Applications are reviewed using a holistic approach. Your entire application is reviewed, along with all others in the applicant pool, to determine which students will succeed at Michigan Tech and contribute to the research needs of the program. Some programs have admissions guidance to aid in evaluating your own materials. Students are highly encouraged to apply as our application is free.
Please refer to degree program admissions requirements if GRE is required.
If the name on your test scores does not match the name on your application, official GRE scores will not be able to be matched to your application. If you requested ETS to send your official GRE scores and it has been more than two weeks, email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Applicants whose native language is not English must supply results of an English proficiency examination (TOEFL or IELTS). Applicants that hold citizenship from and/or attended post-secondary school in a country where the primary language is English may e-mail the Graduate School to petition for a waiver.
If the name on your test scores does not match the name on your application, official TOEFL scores will not be able to be matched to your application. If you requested ETS to send your official TOEFL scores and it has been more than two weeks, email email@example.com for assistance.
The Graduate School will verify any IELTS Scores with British Council, making them Official upon receipt and processing.
Yes. All applicants are required to provide both Student Statements, which include a Statement of Purpose and a Student Statement. Both are character limited and will not allow you to submit a statement over the allotted length. You must review your Student Statements before clicking 'submit', as you only have 24 hours after submission for changes.
Yes. You will need to fill out an application form for each program you wish to apply to.
We require any student who has previously received an admissions decision on an application to reapply. In addition, we will request that you provide us with new application materials per the requirements of the program.
All application decisions are made by the program of study. The time frame for a decision varies among programs, as some programs make decisions by committee review.
If you have further questions about a program's timeline for application decisions, contact the Graduate Program Director.
- After admission has been approved and all proof of funding documents and a copy of your passport are received and processed, visa paperwork will be sent via email or uploaded to your portal.
- For express shipping, Michigan Tech partners with eShip Global to send your immigration
documents through FedEx or UPS. DHL pick-up is unavailable at our university's location.
- To request express shipping, you must first create an account with eShip Global.
- Request your shipment by choosing the "Receive" option with your account
- You must provide your Michigan Tech ID (M number), mailing address, e-mail address, phone number and credit card information.
- Select Graduate School as the recipient of the mailing labels.
- You will receive a tracking number when you submit your request, which will allow you to track the status of your shipment on the eShip Global web site.