To be considered for admission to the Graduate School as a degree- or certificate-seeking student, you need to:
- have a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution, and
- be prepared for advanced study in your chosen field, as demonstrated by your previous degree and your scholastic record.
Starting Your Graduate School Application
Fill out our free application online to apply to any of our programs. Official transcripts and scores are not required for the initial application, although you will need to upload them later.
Once your initial application has been completed, you will receive emails from the Graduate School granting you access to MyMichiganTech, where you will upload all further required materials. Programs typically will not review your application until all materials have been submitted. Admission requirements vary and are listed on individual program websites.
If you were previously enrolled in the Graduate School at Michigan Tech you will need to complete our Application for Readmission.
You are required to complete both a Statement of Purpose and a Personal Statement. Each provides our reviewers with a unique perspective which will aid them in the selection process.
- These statements must be submitted using the appropriate form on MyMichiganTech. Files uploaded elsewhere will not be accepted.
- Responses have a hard character limit. Each space, letter, and punctuation mark is counted as a character. The Graduate School suggests running your responses through a character count tool prior to submission.
- Pay careful attention to this section of the application, as many departments place strong emphasis on these statements.
Statement of Purpose
The Statement of Purpose (3,000 character limit, including spaces) should strongly convey your purpose for applying to the selected graduate program and specify:
- your passion for, and knowledge of, your intended plan of study using the language of the field;
- your intended program, area of study, research interest(s), and desired advisor (if applicable);
- the experience you can bring to the department, including any professional and/or presentation experience;
- the skills that will help you succeed, such as research, leadership, or publication experience.
The Personal Statement (2,000 character limit, including spaces) allows you to tell your story and specify the experiences that have shaped your life, and can provide:
- details on what is unique about you;
- information on overcoming personal hardships (financial, physical, or familial);
- an explanation of any discrepancies in your application;
- thoughts on how this degree will help you achieve future goals.
Certified copies of your previous college/university transcripts are required to begin the application review. Unofficial transcripts must include courses taken and marks received for a total of at least six semesters. Your name, the name of the university, and the grading scheme followed by your university must also be included.
Once accepted, you are required to provide official copies of your previous college/university transcripts and proof of degree(s) to complete your enrollment. If accepted we prefer that you bring your official documents to the main office (414 Administration Building) of the Graduate School upon arrival to Michigan Tech. We will also accept official electronic transcripts sent directly to the Graduate School detailing your courses and proof of degree.
The Graduate School does not have any Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) requirement. However, individual programs may require one of these examinations. Please refer to the admission requirements of your program of interest.
If you are an international applicant, you must also provide proof of English proficiency. We accept both TOEFL and IELTS test results. You may upload unofficial copies of test score reports for the initial application review process, however if you are accepted your official scores must be provided to complete enrollment. Unofficial test scores must include your name and the name of the test, and we require all pages of the PDF file to be uploaded. Official ETS (GRE & TOEFL) scores should be sent directly to the Graduate School using our School Code: 1464.
Letters of Recommendation
Most programs require two to three letters of recommendation (please see program pages for specific requirements). Letters of recommendation are to be completed online and can be requested through MyMichiganTech.
Program Required Documents
Review all of the documents required by your program(s) of interest prior to beginning the application process. Additional documents/requirements you may need include:
- A résumé / curriculum vitae
- A writing sample
- Prerequisite courses
- A previous degree in a specified field
Although most programs review applications on a rolling basis throughout the year, we encourage you to follow the recommended deadlines listed on your program(s) of interest's program pages.
For specific information on applying to the Graduate School as an international student, please see our International Applicants page.