This form of support for graduate students generally includes support for tuition and generally has no work requirement. You can see the students who were awarded this kind of support on our Awards Blog by searching for the specific award.
Tuition Award Programs
You may qualify for a special tuition rate from Michigan Tech if you meet certain criteria. For more information about how to apply for these special rates, please visit their individual pages.
- National Service Graduate Fellowship
- Graduate students who have served in the United States Armed Forces, AmeriCorps, or the Peace Corps are eligible to receive a National Service Graduate Fellowship. To see the latest awarded special tuition rate, visit the Cost of Education Calculator.
- Master of Science in Applied Science Education (MS-ASE)
- Middle and high school teachers who hold a valid, current teaching certification and are interested in enrolling in the Master of Science in Applied Science Education (MS-ASE) program are eligible for a special tuition rate for the program. To see the latest awarded special tuition rate, visit the Cost of Education Calculator.
Graduate School Recruitment
Two recent one time recruitment awards have been available from the Graduate School to bring high quality graduate students to our programs for the coming academic year.
- The Graduate Recruitment Tuition Award aims to attract bright and talented students to Michigan Tech and provide them an extra incentive to choose our graduate programs over others they are considering.
- The Graduate School Academic Excellence Award (GAEA) , a recent collaboration between the Graduate School and Financial Aid motivates our top Michigan Tech undergraduate students to pursue an accelerated master’s degree.
Peace Corps Masters International Tuition Rate
Although the Peace Corps Master's International Program will not continue, Michigan Tech has 51 students currently finishing their master's or volunteer work. All admitted PCMI students were given “Peace Corps Status,” qualifying them for a reduced tuition rate of 33%. While overseas with the Peace Corps, these students are still enrolled as a full-time at Michigan Tech at no cost to the student.
Graduate School GOAL Program Fund
The Graduate Orientation and Applied Language (GOAL) Program is a 6-week summer residential experience to help new international graduate students succeed at Michigan Tech. The intensive English instruction and introduction to the local area can allow students to engage in coursework and research more quickly in their first semester.
International Scholarship Opportunities for Graduate Students
British Marshall Scholarships finance young Americans of high ability to study for a graduate degree in the United Kingdom.
Critical Language Scholarships send graduate students overseas for summer language and cultural immersion programs designed to broaden the base of Americans studying and mastering critical languages and building relationships between the people of the USA and other countries.
DAAD Scholarship Study in Germany helps fund study stays, to longer research periods, as well as scholarship opportunities for full degrees – there is a DAAD USA scholarship for almost everything.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship awards for outstanding non-UK citizens to pursue full-time postgraduate degrees in any subject offered by Cambridge. The program aims to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
The George J. Mitchell Scholarship is designed to introduce and connect generations of future American leaders to the island of Ireland, while recognizing and fostering intellectual achievement, leadership, and a commitment to community and public service
Fulbright Scholarships provide grants for individually designed study/research projects or for English Teaching Assistant Programs. Graduate-level candidates must demonstrate the capacity for independent study or research, together with a general knowledge of the history, culture, and current events of the countries to which they are applying.
Rhodes Scholarships are highly prestigious and competitive and normally held for two years for MS students and three for doctorates to attend Oxford University.