The BS in Computer Science
Do you want to contribute to technological development and innovation? Do you enjoy working with computers and numbers? Are you creative and good at problem solving? The Bachelor’s in Computer Science may be for you.
In the MTU Computer Science BS program, you'll study computing theory, experimentation, and engineering design, and you'll discover and learn about computer software and computational processes for a variety of applications and users. You'll model and analyze problems, and design and verify computing solutions.
Choose Your Concentration
- Computer Science: This option broadly covers all areas of computer science. You'll gain the computer knowledge you need for to start your career in computing, science, or engineering. If you're planning on graduate school, this is your best option.
- Application: Finding the best computing solutions often requires both computer science expertise and knowledge of a particular application area. The Application concentration delves into an area you choose, like engineering or health care.
- Computer Systems: In the Computer Systems concentration you'll design, develop, and maintain computing systems. Computing environments like operating systems, networks, administration, and security are emphasized. You'll learn to embrace change and become adaptable so your career will always remain fresh.
- Game Development: Your game industry career starts here. Learn the newest techniques and technologies to build engaging video games. You'll have lots of opportunities for hands-on learning. And you'll build teamwork experience, learn 3D graphics programming, and master the foundational skills you'll need start building a new generation of interactive games.
The Enterprise Program
In the Enterprise Program at Michigan Tech you'll working with a team on real projects, with real clients, in an environment that's more like a business than a classroom.
With support from faculty mentors, Enterprise teams invent products, provide services, and pioneer custom solutions. You'll gain professional experience in engineering design, team building, project management, and end-to-end original product development.
Computer Science Enterprise Teams
- Husky Game Development: Michigan Tech’s interactive entertainment Enterprise develops games for business, education, and fun.
- Humane Interface Design Enterprise: HIDE Enterprise teams designs, develop, and evaluate user interfaces with humans in mind, coming up with solutions to make our daily lives more efficient and easier to manage.
- IT Oxygen Enterprise: IT Oxygen provides Information Technology help for both student organizations and businesses. Students in the IT Oxygen Enterprise work on real projects for real companies. Team members build skills in development, problem solving, and business.
Computer Science Career Outlook
Employment in computer and information technology occupations is projected to grow 13 percent through 2030, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. The median annual wage for computer and information technology occupations was $91,250 in May 2020.
Specialty areas within computer science include computer architecture, software systems, graphics, artificial intelligence, high-performance computing, software engineering, and human-computer interaction.
Jobs Held By MTU Computer Science BS Graduates
- Computer consultant
- Computer graphics specialist
- Computer systems engineer
- Knowledge engineer
- Project coordinator
- Software engineer
- Systems analyst
Employers of MTU Computer Science BS Graduates
- Adobe Systems
- Battle Creek Public Schools
- Capital One
- Fannie Mae
- Ford Motor
- GE Aviation
- IBM Corporation
- Lucent Technologies
- Pfizer Inc.
- Texas Instruments
- US Department of Defense