Build a better, balanced world.
Wood products and woody plant biomaterials are basic building blocks for the products and structures society needs. Get the skills you need as part of the College of Forest Resources and Environmental Science (CFRES)—rated fourth in the nation for forestry programs—and then choose from one of three specializations: bioproducts business, sustainable construction, or circular economy.
Learn, grow, and develop your career in the lab, classroom, and 5,000+ acres of research forest on the shores of Lake Superior, working with leaders in the biomaterials movement. Michigan’s economy includes $20 billion in annual forest products, and Michigan Tech’s CFRES is working with the state to develop green, profitable solutions through sustainable biomaterials projects. Want to work outside the forest industry? No problem—graduates are also in demand by mobility, textiles, energy, furniture, bioplastics, and biochemicals industries.
There’s no other program like it in the state. Demand for bioproducts is increasing as dependence on fossil fuels diminishes. It’s a new frontier, and you’ll join it backed by Michigan Tech’s deep history of wood products research and education. We’ve been researching wood products since 1945, and CFRES is home to the largest wood protection research group in the US.
Be Ready for What Tomorrow Needs:
- Work alongside seasoned pros and instructors who care, with strong industry connections
- Demonstrate your knowledge and start to make a difference before you graduate, working on real-world Enterprise projects
- Form tight-knit bonds with your fellow Huskies through regular get-togethers, from coffee talks to timber cruising—in the CFRES, everyone goes by their first name
- Sign up for US paid research opportunities and earn as you learn, starting your first day
Create Tomorrow with Careers In:
- Green Building
- Mass Timber Markets
- Circular Economy
- Sustainable Bioproducts
- Carbon Emissions Reduction
Huskies Get Hired By:
- USDA Forest Service
- Natural Resources and Environmental Consulting Firms
- Department of Environmental Quality
- Private Bioproducts Companies
Customize your Degree:
- Bioproducts Business
- Sustainable Construction
- Circular Economy
Take Courses Like:
- Wood Anatomy and Properties
- Adding Value to Forest Biomaterials
- Forest Economics and Finance
- Structural Timber Design
- Environmentally Responsible Design and Manufacturing