Mine, analyze, and model. Big data rules.
Health. Transportation. Layers of history, charting the future. The statistics program at Michigan Tech prepares you to find your place in the exponential expansion of data collection and application.
Why study statistics? Big data is revolutionizing many areas of our society and a degree in statistics will prepare you to work in industry or to pursue a graduate degree in statistics or an area, such as biostatistics, epidemiology, or analytics. You’ll be prepared to play a central role in areas such as medical research, quality control in manufacturing, environmental sciences, or government and policy research.
Current students say the mathematical department feels like a family. Be a part of Michigan Tech’s Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program. Co-op, intern, and attend Career Fairs in fall and spring (more than 350 companies).
Crazy Smart Experiences:
- Participating in mathematical research through a first-year explorations course taught by your academic advisor
- Conducting undergraduate research with faculty mentors in areas such as statistics, statistical genetics, computational mathematics, combinatorics, and mathematical modeling
- Using your math smarts as a coach in the Math Learning Center which provides peer tutoring for students across campus
- Learning in an environment with an emphasis on computing to better prepare you for internships, jobs, and graduate school
Create the Future with Careers In:
- Actuarial Science
- Business Analysis
- Data Analysis
Huskies Get Hired By:
- Michigan Tech Research Institute
- Barracuda Networks
- Towers Watson
Customize your Degree:
Minor available in:
Take Courses Like:
- Regression Analysis
- Design and Analysis of Experiments
- Predictive Modeling
- Time Series Analysis and Forecasting