Explore. Develop. Extract. Process.
Be a part of the mining industry transformation, bringing the Earth's resources to the surface more safely, sustainably, and productively.
Harness deep historical knowledge and the latest technological advances. Study at a leading public research University in the Keweenaw Peninsula's Copper Country, home to the copper mining boom that predates the Gold Rush (the mines, and their artifacts, are your classroom).
Design layouts for surface and underground mines. Prepare mine plans and production sequences. Select and schedule equipment. Design blast patterns for rock fragmentation and excavation, and ventilation plans for underground mines. Make innovative decisions in challenging environmental and market conditions. Learn fundamental technical and scientific skills, and how to communicate and work in multidisciplinary teams.
Be Ready for What Tomorrow Needs:
- Work in state-of-the-art facilities dedicated to mining simulation and optimization, engineering geology, geomechanics, petrophysics, geochemistry, and environmental science.
- Take field trips and secure internships at local, active mines that gave the Copper Country its name.
- Learn from world-class faculty in small classes—know your professors on a first-name basis.
- Compete (and win!) an international mining competition.
Create the Future with Careers In:
- Mining engineering
- Mining geostatistics
- Geotechnical engineering
- Project management
Huskies Get Hired By:
- Cliffs Natural Resources
- Newmont Mining Corporation
- Government agencies
- Engineering consulting firms
- Rio Tinto
Take Courses Like:
- Mineral Science
- Mine Planning and Design
- Drilling and Blasting
- Soil Mechanics
- Mine Ventilation, Health, and Safety Engineering