Blend Technology and Business Skills
Management information systems (MIS) is a discipline that combines technical knowledge, including software design, computer programming, and database design, with business expertise. MIS professionals act as a link between IT specialists and business leaders to ensure organizations use information technology in ways that add value to an organization and its clients.
In the MIS major at Michigan Tech, students take part in developing and commercializing the technologies of tomorrow. Learn a core set of technology and business knowledge and skills, then explore specialized areas of business and IT, such as the design of technical user experiences, financial technology (FinTech), accounting analytics, and digital marketing. Through dynamic class experiences, you’ll learn to design technology, communicate business ideas to technical employees and technical knowledge to business employees, and improve business processes. Get the skills needed to become a source of technological support and leadership (e.g. CIO) within organizations, working directly with people to solve problems and create solutions.
Be Ready for What Tomorrow Needs:
- Gain hands-on experience managing IT projects and teams.
- Work as a team to identify the needs of real industry clients.
- Develop organizational and IT strategies and evaluate the business value of IT solutions.
- Get exposed to IT knowledge and skills in information security analysis and design; business intelligence and data analytics; systems/solution design; website design; data modeling; database design and implementation; programming; and computer networking.
An Agile Degree for Systems Thinkers
An MIS degree will open both technological and business opportunities. On average, students receive three to four job offers before graduation, and earn an average starting salary of $65,000+. Niche.com included Michigan Tech as No. 6 in “Best Colleges for Information Technology in America.”
"I take programming and database classes along with courses in strategic management and team dynamics. Getting both perspectives has helped me communicate in both computer science and business spaces and has shaped my career goals."
Create the Future with Careers In:
- Business Systems Analysis
- Software Development
- Specialist Data Network Analysis
- Network Administration
Huskies Get Hired By:
- BNSF Railway
- BOSS Snowplow
- Heartland Business Systems
- Department of Defense
- Stryker Instruments
Customize your Degree:
Minors available in:
- Global Business
You can also earn a master’s in one additional year through the Accelerated Master’s program.
Take Courses Like:
- Business Database Management
- Business Intelligence
- Quantitative Problem Solving
- Web Programming
- User-Centered Design