Develop real-world solutions.
Blaze a path in energy, aerospace, chemical and environmental industries, or national labs.
Applied physics is perfect for students fascinated by physics, but who don’t see themselves strictly pursuing a laboratory position. You’ll be prepared for a career in industry or engineering allowing you to apply physical principles to the development of innovative solutions. Specialize your studies in an application area like biophysics, alternative energy, or entrepreneurship.
Small classes, concentrated research, and program choices are tailored to what you want to do, whether that’s teaching, graduate work, or another profession that puts your critical thinking and solid science base to best use.
Be Ready for What Tomorrow Needs:
- Conduct your own undergraduate research project through the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program.
- Work directly with faculty mentors on research projects involving cloud physics, materials and laser physics, and integrated magneto-photonics.
- Use state-of-the-art equipment for lab assignments, research, and projects.
- Get involved in the Society of Physics Students, a national professional organization.
Create the Future with Careers In:
- Medical Imaging
- Nuclear Power
- Scientific Journalism
Huskies Get Hired By:
- Argonne National Lab
- MIT Lincoln Lab
- Dow Corning
Customize your Degree:
Minors available in:
- Nanoscale Science and Engineering
Take Courses Like:
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Quantum Physics
- Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics
- Waves and Modern Physics