Evelyn Vidal Johnson
- Walker 339
- Senior Lecturer, Humanities
- Coordinator of English Secondary Education
- MS, Michigan Technological University
Evie Johnson coordinates the English Secondary Education Program, and teaches a range of courses--such as Young Adult Literature, Methods of Teaching English, and Literacy in the Content Areas--designed to meet the needs of teacher candidates. As a teacher, teacher educator, and literacy activist she is interested in instructional methods that integrate the arts, science, and literature; in classroom experiences to cultivate understanding and empathy through narrative studies; and in exploring ways that communities can create the best conditions for learning to occur.
She received her MS in Rhetoric and Technical Communication in 2003, and has a BA from Miami University in English Education where she studied with Dr. Tom Romano. In addition to her current teaching at MTU, she has taught middle and high school. Before moving to Michigan Tech, she was an administrative assistant with the Ohio Writing Project where she helped to coordinate educational inservices and programs, essay and portfolio assessments, and conferences for English Educators.
Beyond her work at MTU, she dedicates herself to community literacy, particularly as President of the Copper Country Reading Council and Michiganâ€™s Coordinator for River of Words. In her free time, she enjoys drawing, cooking, visiting her children and grandchildren, reading, and exploring the U.P. with family, Labrador Retrievers, and friends.
- Copper Country Reading Council http://coppercountryreadingcouncil.wikispaces.com/
- River of Words http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/center-for-environmental-literacy/river-of-words
- 826 Valencia http://826valencia.org/
- IRIN http://www.irinnews.org/
- Teaching Tolerance http://www.tolerance.org/
- Zinn Education Project http://zinnedproject.org/
- American Indians in Childrenâ€™s Literature http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/