M. Bartley Seigel
—from "You are so high in the tree" by Zachary Schomburg
- Walker 107
- Associate Professor of Creative Writing & Literature
- Director, Michigan Tech Multiliteracies Center (MTMC)
- MFA, Creative Writing. Pennsylvania State University, University Park
- BA, Journalism. Eastern Michigan University
Matt (he/his) is author of This Is What They Say (Typecast Publishing), founding editor of Simple Machines Magazine, and founding editor emeritus of PANK Magazine. His own poetry regularly appears in literary magazines such as DIAGRAM, Fourth River, Michigan Quarterly Review, Split Rock Review, Thrush, and elsewhere. He teaches creative writing, editing, and literature at Michigan Technological University where he also serves as director of the Multiliteracies Center. He lives in Houghton, Michigan, in Ojibwe homelands and Treaty of 1842 territory.
Links of Interest
- Editing / Publishing
- Emerging Literature
- Literary Magazines
- Literature in Translation
- Poetry / Poetics
- Writing Center Administration
- Single-Authored Books: This Is What They Say. Louisville, KY: Typecast (2013).
- Recent Journal Publications:
- “Fourteener for the Restless in the Middle of the Night.” Barely South Review (2020).
- “Before the Fall.” The Fourth River (2019).
- “Wave After Wave.” Split Rock Review (2018).
- “Birch Oil, Smoke, Pine Tar, Switch.” Thrush (2018).
- Recently Anthologized Poems
- “Land Acknowledgement, Treaty of 1842 Territory.” Rewilding: Poems for the Environment. Ed. Crystal S. Gibbins. Minneapolis, MN: Flexible Press (2020).
- “Beach Glass.” And Here: 100 Years of Upper Peninsula Writing, 1917–2017. Ed. Ron Riekki. Lansing, MI: Michigan State University Press (2017).
- (PI) Research Excellence Fund - Scholarship & Creativity Grant: Simple Machines. Michigan Technological University (2020).
- (Senior personnel) Connections Planning Grant: “A Human Centered Engineering Initiative." National Endowment for the Humanities (2019).
- (PI) Erasmus+ Travel Grant. European Commission (2018).
- Creative Writing Workshops in Poetry and Nature Writing
- Introduction to Creative Writing
- Introduction to Journalism
- Introduction to Literature
- Major American Authors: Philip K. Dick
- Science Fiction & Fantasy Literature