M. Bartley Seigel
—from "You are so high in the tree" by Zachary Schomburg
- Walker 103
- Associate Professor of Creative Writing and Emerging Literatures
- Director, Michigan Tech Multiliteracies Center
- MFA, Creative Writing. Pennsylvania State University
- BA, Journalism. Eastern Michigan University
M. Bartley Seigel (he/him/his) is the author of This Is What They Say (Typecast Publishing); founding editor of Simple Machines; founding editor emeritus of PANK Magazine; and Associate Professor of Creative Writing at Michigan Technological University. His poetry appears in journals such as DIAGRAM, Fourth River, Michigan Quarterly Review, Split Rock Review, & Thrush, among many others, and was most recently anthologized in Rewilding: Poems for the Environment (Flexible Press). He lives in Houghton, Michigan, in Ojibwa (Chippewa) homelands and Treaty of 1842 territory.
Links of Interest
- Editing / Publishing
- Emerging Literature
- Literary Magazines
- Literature in Translation
- Poetry / Poetics
- Single-Authored Books: This Is What They Say. Louisville, KY: Typecast (2013).
- Recent Journal Publications:
- “Fourteener for the Restless in the Middle of the Night.” Barely South Review (2020).
- “Before the Fall.” The Fourth River (2019).
- “Wave After Wave.” Split Rock Review (2018).
- “Birch Oil, Smoke, Pine Tar, Switch.” Thrush (2018).
- Recently Anthologized Poems
- “Land Acknowledgement, Treaty of 1842 Territory.” Rewilding: Poems for the Environment. Ed. Crystal S. Gibbins. Minneapolis, MN: Flexible Press (2020).
- “Beach Glass.” And Here: 100 Years of Upper Peninsula Writing, 1917–2017. Ed. Ron Riekki. Lansing, MI: Michigan State University Press (2017).
- (Senior personnel) Connections Planning Grant: “A Human Centered Engineering Initiative." National Endowment for the Humanities (2019).
- (PI) Erasmus+ Travel Grant. European Commission (2018)
- Creative Writing Workshops in Poetry and Nature Writing
- Introduction to Creative Writing
- Introduction to Journalism
- Introduction to Literature
- Major American Authors: Philip K. Dick
- Science Fiction & Fantasy Literature