Life in graduate school is about more than just classes and research. Michigan Tech and the local community have many opportunities for students to get involved, find support, stay informed, and explore. Take advantage of the resources your new community offers you!
Round out your graduate education with cultural, social, and recreational activities. Find connections through involvement.
- Graduate Student Government hosts activities just for grads.
- Experience Tech is every student's admission to university events and activities.
- Sports and Recreation opportunities are widely available. See Tech's fitness classes and sporting facilities.
- OAP (Outdoor Adventure Program)— take advantage of our beautiful location and experience some outdoor fun.
- Rozsa Center for the Performing Arts offers a wide array of national and university produced theatre, musical, film and dance productions and is included in the Experience Tech benefits.
- Student Leadership and Involvement can link you to activities on campus as well as our 200+ student organizations.
- Winter Carnival is a unique tradition at Michigan Tech, making the most of our snowy playground.
Our local community offers abundant opportunity for recreation and education.
- Housing (on campus, off campus)
- Houghton-Portage Township Schools
- Keweenaw Peninsula
- City of Houghton (includes Motor Transit info)
- City of Hancock
- City of Calumet
- City of Copper Harbor
- Keweenaw National Historic Park
- McLain State Park
- Isle Royale National Park
- Keweenaw Trails, for hiking, biking, and skiing information
- Medical Withdrawal for graduate students with medical issues to apply for a leave of absence.
- Student Mental Health and Well-being Services are provided by staff who work with student support services at Tech, as well as mental health professionals locally and in the student's home area, to ensure that their counseling needs are met.
- Grad Resources offers mental and emotional health resources for graduate students, including a crisis line.
- Student Health Services/Houghton Family Health Center at the SDC
- UP Health System - Portage Express Care for illnesses or injuries that require medical treatment but are not serious enough to warrant a visit to the emergency department.
- UP Health System - Portage Emergency Department is staffed 24/7 for emergency care.
- Visit the Dean of Students' site for more health services information, including immunizations, disability services, public safety, and student health insurance.
The following services may help you meet your family's needs.
- Graduate School Parental Accommodation Policy can assist you with the addition of a new child.
- Dependent Care Policy provides expenses for dependent care during university-related travel.
- Lactation Spaces are available on campus for nursing mothers.
- Little Huskies Childcare, Children ages 0–6