Additional Master's Degree

Students may be interested in obtaining an additional master's degree to supplement their primary degree program. For example, a student pursuing a master's degree in engineering may also wish to earn a degree in business, or a PhD student may wish to obtain a master's degree in a related field. To support these efforts, this policy has been developed to allow students to double-count a portion of the required non-research/non-practicum credits from their primary degree towards a secondary master's degree.

This policy applies both to current Michigan Tech graduate students and to former Tech graduate students returning to the University to pursue an additional master's degree.

Double-Counting Requirements

Students who wish to pursue a master's degree in addition to the graduate degree they are currently seeking or formerly earned must

  • satisfy all requirements for their primary degree,
  • apply to the graduate program from which they would like to earn an additional master's degree, and
  • identify clearly the courses double-counted for the additional master's degree on their degree schedule. Next to each double-counted course, enter "also used for (MS or PhD) in (Primary Program Name)."

Credit Requirements

The double-counted credits applied to the additional master's degree must

  • have been earned at Michigan Tech,
  • be no more than 1/3 of the non-research/non-practicum credits required for the additional master's degree,
  • be approved by the graduate program, and
  • be non-research/non-practicum credits.

Graduate programs will not allow students to double-count credits if this will have a negative impact on their education. Graduate programs approve double-counting credits by signing the degree schedule for the additional master's program. Admission to the additional graduate degree program is not automatic; students are accepted at the discretion of the program to which they apply.

More Information

Read University Senate policy 410.1, talk to graduate program directors, or visit the Graduate School for advice and more information.