STUDENT EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
- Scholarship Info Session: Railroad Engineering and Activities Club (REAC), Oct. 11, 7 pm, Fisher 100
- Spring 2022 PHF Graduate Assistantships applications, due Oct. 14, 4 pm
- Spring 2022 Finishing Fellowship applications, due October 21, 4 pm
- Three Minute Thesis competition, Nov. 4
- MSGC undergraduate and graduate student fellowship applications, due Nov. 3, 12 pm
- DoD SMART Scholarship applications, due Dec. 1, 5 pm
- Walk-in COVID-19 Testing, Weekly on Mon., Wed., Thur., 9-12, Datolite Room, MUB
- Dean Livesay 's Open Office Hours: Fridays, 2-3 pm, Rekhi 223. All students who wish to chat with Dean Livesay are invited to "drop in." No appointments needed.
REGISTRATION OPENS OCTOBER 24
Registration for Spring and Summer 2022 courses opens on October 24. Graduate students and veterans have first priority, followed by Senior, Juniors, Sophomores, and then First year students according to this schedule. Course offerings, in draft form, can be found here. Please schedule an appointment with your advisor if you have questions.
LECTURES AND SEMINARS
- MS Defense: Junyao Yang, CS, "Efficient Modeling of Random Sampling-Based LRU Cache," Fri., Oct. 8, 2 pm, Rekhi 101
- ICC Distinguished Lecture, Dr. Doina Caragea, Fri., Oct. 29, 3 pm, virtual
- ICC Distinguished Lecture, Dr. Philip E. Bourne, Fri., Nov. 5, 3 pm, on-campus
- CS New Faculty Lecture, Dr. Briana Bettin and Dr. Stefka Hristova, Fri., Nov. 12, 3 pm, Rekhi 214
- CS Dept. Lecture Series: Dr. Junqiao Qiu, Computer Science, Fri., Nov. 19, 3 pm, Rekhi 214
THREE MINUTE THESIS COMPETITION
Graduate Student Government (GSG) has announced that this year's Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition will take place in-person Nov. 4. The final round will take place at the Orpheum Theater in Hancock. The competition offers graduate students an excellent opportunity to verbally summarize and explain their research in three minutes or less, in a language appropriate to a nonspecialist audience. Read more on the Computing news blog.
WRITING SUPPORT FOR DoD SMART SCHOLARSHIP
The Graduate School is providing personalized writing support for the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) science, mathematics and research for transformation (SMART) Scholarship for Service. Applications are due Dec. 1 at 5 pm. For details, visit the SMART Scholarship Program website. Contact Sarah Isaacson, GLAS program director, with questions.
1ST YEAR RAIL TRANSPORTATION SCHOLARSHIP
The deadline to apply for the Michigan Tech Rail Transportation Program 1st Year Student Scholarship program has been extended to Oct. 13. Up to four $500 scholarships will be awarded this fall. The Railroad Engineering and Activities Club (REAC) will host an information session on Oct. 11, at 7 pm, in Fisher 100. Download the application here.
DO YOU HAVE A SYP STORY TO SHARE?
Since 1973, students from around the world have attended Michigan Tech Summer Youth Programs (SYP) to embrace curiosity, explore academic pursuits, and discover their passions. Now, in celebration of the program's upcoming 50th year, we want to hear your stories of SY's impact on your life Please tell us about your experiences, whether you attended SYP in 1973, 2021, or anywhere in between, either as a participant or staff.
COMPUTING LEARNING CENTER
The College of Computing Learning Center is open for business, on-campus and in-person! The CCLC, in Rekhi Hall, is staffed by upper-level undergraduate students and supported by Michigan Tech's College of Computing. The coaches can help with homework, broad topics, programming tips, and more, Sunday through Friday from 2-5 pm and 7-10 pm. Just stop in and get the help you need for success in your computing courses. Appointments are available but not necessary. View the CCLC schedule, meet the coaches, and find additional resources on the CCLC website.
View the full Academic Calendar
Sunday, Oct 24, 12 p.m., Spring/Summer Registration Begins
Sunday, Nov 07, 11:59 p.m., Spring/Summer Registration Ends
Friday, Nov 19, 10 p.m., Thanksgiving Recess Begins
Monday, Nov 29, Classes Resume
Friday, Dec 10, Last Day of Regular Classes
Monday, Dec 13, Final Exam Period
Friday, Dec 17, Fall Semester Ends
Saturday, Dec 18, Midyear Commencement
Do you have news to share? To include information in The Weekly Download, email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00 noon on the Monday prior to the week you'd like it to run. Late submissions will be included the next week. Questions about the newsletter? Please contact email@example.com.
To subscribe to the Weekly Download, please send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.