What do you love about Computing[MTU]?
Eli Pinnoo, 2nd-year Computer Science major, with a minor in Statistics
"I love the challenges MTU computing brings to help further my growth, giving me a promising future."
What do you love about Computing[MTU]? Share your quote and receive a Computing[MTU] t-shirt!
MTU RedTeam Places 5th of 119 Teams in CTF
Three MTU RedTeam members (Trevor Hornsby, Josh Stiebel, Ryan Klemm, Shane Hoppe) placed 5th of 119 teams in the CyberSEED capture-the-flag competition on March 26. The team, CyberSNEED, finished the event with 840 points, 94.6% completion, and 96.7% accuracy, which was the highest accuracy percentage in the top 83 teams. The team was awarded a $1,000 prize. More info here.
SENSE Enterprise Needs your Perspective
The SENSE Enterprise project team, Marine Energy Collegiate Competition (MECC), is looking for student perspectives on renewable energy and the blue economy. Please consider sharing your thoughts by signing up for a 15-minute chat with SENSE students on either Thursday, April 7, or Friday, April 8, both days between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. Alternately, just drop by Library Study Room 238 on Friday, April 8, between 10 and 11 a.m., when SENSE students will be available to chat with you. More info, schedule your chat here.
Summer REU Opportunity
Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, MI, will host an NSF-funded REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) site this summer, from May 23 to July 15. This opportunity will focus on the study and practical implementation of algorithms for self-driving vehicles. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. More info and application link here.
Accelerated and Online Graduate Programs
The job market is as competitive as it has ever been, and a graduate degree or certificate puts you a step ahead. Join the MTU Graduate Admissions team for an informational session about Michigan Tech's accelerated and online graduate programs on Thursday, April 14, at 5 p.m. in the Administration Building, Room 404, or virtually. The info session will include info about the application process, eligibility requirements, and program options. Free pizza! More info and registration link here.
Lectures and Events
- Computing[MTU] Showcase, Apr. 4-6, Rozsa Center
- MS Defense: Kurush Kasad, Computer Science, Apr. 8, 2 pm, Rekhi 101 or virtual
- CS Dept. Lecture: Hongyu An and Kevin Trewartha (ECE/CS), Apr. 15, 3 pm, Rekhi 214 or virtual
- MS Defense: Charles Warren, Cybersecurity, Apr. 11, 4:30 pm, Rekhi 101 or virtual
College and University News
Computing Learning Center
Stop by anytime from 2-5 pm and 7-10 pm, Sunday through Friday, and get the help you need for success in your computing courses. The Learning Center is in Rekhi 118. Discord server. CCLC coaches are also available via Zoom during lab walk-in hours.
- View the full Academic Calendar
- Friday, Apr 22, Last Day of Regular Classes
- Monday, Apr 25, Final Exam Period
- Saturday, Apr 30, Spring Commencement
- Monday, May 9, Full Session Begins
- Monday, May 9, Session A Begins
- Monday, May 30, Memorial Day Recess
- Tuesday, May 31, Classes Resume
- Thursday, Jun 23, Session A Ends
- Friday, Jun 24, Session A Exams
- Monday, Jun 27, Session B Begins
- Monday, Jul 4, Independence Day Recess
- Tuesday, Jul 5, Classes Resume
- Thursday, Aug 11, Session B Ends
- Thursday, Aug 11, Full Session Ends
- Friday, Aug 12, Final Exam Period
Do you have news to share? To include information in The Weekly Download, email to firstname.lastname@example.org by12:00 noon on the Monday prior to the week you'd like it to run. Questions about the newsletter? Please contact email@example.com.
To subscribe to the Weekly Download, please send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.