Welcome to The Weekly Download, THE source for College of Computing Student News.
EVENTS AND LECTURES
- CyberCorps Info Session #1: Mon., Mar. 22, 6-7 pm
- CyberCorps Info Session #2: Tues., Mar. 30, 6-7 pm
- Last Mile Education Fund for Women: Scholarships for degree completion for striving low-income women in computing-related degree programs.
- CS Dept. Lecture: Dr. Kelly Steelman, Cognitive and Learning Sciences, on Friday, March 19, 2021, at 3:00 p.m.
- CS Dept. Lecture: Tim Frick, MightyBytes, Fri., Apr. 9, 3 pm
- ICC Distinguished Lecture: Alina Zare, Univ. of Florida, Fri., Apr. 16, 3 pm
REGISTER FOR SUMMER CLASSES BY APRIL 5
- Please register for Summer '21 classes now. Any courses with insufficient enrollment by April 5, 2021, may not be offered this summer.
- Registration info here.
- View the full list here.
FALL REGISTRATION IS OPEN
- Registration Priority Schedule (pdf).
- Online Registration Instructions webpage.
- Register online at www.banweb.mtu.edu.
- Registration Resources webpage.
- Registration opens at 10 pm unless otherwise noted.
- Priority is based on the number of credits earned at the time of registration.
- Students may register anytime on or after their scheduled day.
- Registration closes at midnight Sunday, April 4, and reopens at 10:00 pm Tuesday, April 6.
- The web will be unavailable for registration from 2:00 to 2:30 am each day.
- Questions? Contact the Registrar’s Office at 487-2319 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
STUDENT EMPLOYMENT, INTERNSHIPS
- Summer Youth Program Positions (SYP), Applied Computing Department. Learn more at this info session: Tues., Mar. 16, 9:30-10 am, Zoom link
- Paid Research Assistant, multiple positions, Security and Privacy Lab. You'll work on IoT security, mobile security, or cloud computing security. The student is expected to be: 1) Eager to solve problems; 2) Familiar with operating systems; 3) Familiar with system programming (C is preferred); 4) Familiar with embedded systems (optional). To apply, send your resume to Asst. Prof. Bo Chen (email@example.com).
- Paid Research Assistant, graduate level, May to August. 2021, extension possible. Basic requirements: 1) Skills in Python programming and image processing; 2) Experience in machine learning/AI is a plus. Contact Asst. Prof. Sidike Paheding. Applied Computing (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Web Developer, Ancilla Partners, Inc., Milwaukee, WI, full time or summer internship. More info here.
Cyberinfrastructure Manager, Great Lakes Observing System, Ann Arbor, MI, to work on projects like Seagull. The role will support operations, system management, DevOps, scripting., maintenance and software updates, data and information management, and more. Learn more and apply here.
Undergraduate Research Internship (URIP)
- Internship is from September 2021 through mid-April 2022.
- Open to any undergraduate student on campus with an identified faculty research mentor.
- New faculty-student teams are welcome to apply.
- Teams already working together are welcome to apply.
- Accepted students will earn up to $1,600, paid at a rate of $10/hour, over the course of the internship.
- Deadline: Friday, April 9.
- For details, link here.
- Direct questions to email@example.com.
The Undergraduate Research Internship Program is supported by Pavlis Honors College and generous donations from Portage Health Foundation and the DeVlieg Foundation.
Volunteers Needed for Augmented Reality Research
- Looking for volunteers to take part in a study exploring how people may interact with future Augmented Reality (AR} interfaces.
- You will record videos of yourself tapping on a printed keyboard.
- The study takes approximately one hour.
- You will be paid $15 for your time.
- You will complete the study at your home.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to participate.
- CyberCorps Info Session #1: Mon., Mar. 22, 6-7 pm EST
CyberCorps Info Session #2: Tues., Mar. 30, 6-7 pm EST
Last Mile Education Fund for Women: Scholarships for degree completion for striving low-income women in computing-related degree programs.
NEED TO KNOW
- Enterprise registration has changed. Students planning to enroll in ENT4950 for the Summer or Fall 2021 semester must complete a new registration form, found in the Forms dropdown on the Enterprise website.
- Course Schedule Change: Software Engineering: CS4710, Model-driven SW Development, is now offered only in the Fall, effective Fall 2021. Contact your advisor with questions.
- Final Exam Schedule
- Fall '21 Undergraduate Scheduling: begins March 14.
- Fall Course Schedule
- Computer Science and Software Engineering majors: Schedule an appointment with advisor Denise Landsberg.
- EET majors: Schedule an appointment with advisor Kay Oliver.
DESIGN AND RESEARCH EVENTS
- Visit the Design Expo website.
- Video and Digital Poster Submission: Thurs., Apr. 8, 11 pm.
- Video Judging: Mon.-Thurs., Apr. 12-15.
- Visit the GRC website.
- Oral Sessions: Apr. 1-2, 8 am-2 pm.
- Poster Session: Thurs., Apr. 1 (all day).
- Poster Session Q&A: Thurs., Apr. 1, 4-6 pm.
- Award Ceremony: Fri., April 2, 5-7 pm.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Dean Livesay wants to hear your story. What has your experience been with regard to diversity and inclusion at Michigan Tech? Email Dean Livesay at email@example.com to schedule a time to talk.
COMPUTING LEARNING CENTER
- Link to CLC webpage.
- Open for online appointments Mon. to Fri., 2-5 pm, schedule here.
- Walk-in hours, 7 days, 7-10 pm, via Zoom.
- Upper-level CS courses help: grad student
James Michniewicz is available Sun., Tues., and Thurs. 7-9 pm.
- Get to know the CCLC coaches.
- Discord server.
- Canvas page: self-registration.
- Canvas page link.
View the full Academic Calendar
- Sun., Mar. 14, 12 pm: Fall Registration Begins
- Mon., Mar. 15: Classes Resume
- Sun., Mar. 28, 12 am: Fall Registration Ends
- Fri., Apr. 23: Last Day of Regular Classes
- Mon., Apr 26: Final Exam Period
- Fri., Apr. 30: Spring Commencement
- Monday, May 10, 2021: Session A Begins
- Monday, May 10, 2021: Full Session Begins
- Monday, May 31, 2021: Memorial Day Recess
- Tuesday, Jun 1, 2021: Classes Resume
- Thursday, Jun 24, 2021: Session A Ends
- Friday, Jun 25, 2021: Session A Exams
- Monday, Jun 28, 2021 Session B Begins
- Monday, Jul 5, 2021: Independence Day Recess
- Tuesday, Jul 6: Classes Resume
- Thursday, Aug 12: Session B Ends
- Thursday, Aug 12: Full Session Ends
- Friday, Aug 13: Final Exam Period
To include news and information in The Weekly Download, email your news to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00 noon on the Monday prior to the week you'd like it to run. Late submissions may not be included. Questions about the newsletter? Please contact email@example.com.
To subscribe to the Weekly Download, please send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.