What do you love about Computing[MTU]?
"The best part of Computing[MTU] is the quality of coursework and the helpful nature
What do you love about Computing[MTU]?
Share your quote and receive a Computing[MTU] t-shirt!
Meet Linda Ott, Chair, Computer Science
One of the things Department of Computer Science Chair Linda Ott has always enjoyed about being Chair is getting to know CS students. She is available to chat with students about anything, from concerns about a course to future career opportunities. Email Dr. Ott to set up a time to chat. Learn more about Dr. Ott.
What are some examples of the issues that students can bring to you?
Students can come to me to talk about a wide range of things. Of course, I’m also quite willing to help with any problems that they may encounter, particularly with CS classes and faculty. Not all problems are easily solved, but many are. And it is important that we know what kinds of challenges students are facing as we strive to continuously improve our educational environment and outcomes. I also love hearing about things that are going well and their ideas for how we can improve our programs.
MTU Students Place 10th of 89 Teams
Congratulations students! In the ICPC Programming Competition for the North Central region, held February 26, 2022, the MTU Gray Team placed 10th of 89 teams, solving six problems. Members of the Gray Team are Ryan Klemm (Software Engineering) and Audrey LaCost. View all MTU placements and teams here.
Orientation Team Leaders Needed
The Waino Wahtera Center for Student Success is hiring Orientation Team Leaders (OTLs) for Orientation 2022. This is a great opportunity for students to learn more about campus opportunities and resources, refine communication and leadership skills, connect with their peers, and help welcome our newest Huskies. The positions run Aug. 13-27, which includes training and O-Week. The deadline to apply is Mar. 14. Details here.
Computing[MTU] Communications Assistant
The College of Computing is accepting applications for a regular part-time (non-work-study)
Communication and Front Desk Assistant. Apply on Handshake by March 15, 2022.
Role Description: The student will help the communications director increase social media engagement on College of Computing’s social media channels. The student will also be a front desk person, greeting walk-in traffic in the College office.
Position Duties: 1) Help the communications director implement the College’s overall social media strategy; 2) Help administer and maintain social media channels; 3) Publish social media posts and track activity. Details here.
- Orientation Team Leaders (OTLs), Waino Wahtera Center for Student Success, apply by Mar. 14. Details here.
- Communications and Front Desk Assistant, Computing[MTU], apply by Mar. 15. Details here.
- Michigan Tech Information Technology is hiring multiple students for its Software Operations team. The roles help package, test, and deploy the hundreds of applications used in the Windows computer labs. Details here.
- Summer Youth Programs Counselors. Details on Handshake.
- AKADEUS, a tech recruitment agency, has dozens of open positions worldwide. Details here.
- Paramount has four open summer internship postings for Data Engineering, Information Security, Product Management, and Project Management roles. Two full-time positions are also open. Details here.
Student Events and Deadlines
- Portage Health Foundation Graduate Assistantship applications due Mar. 1, 4 pm
- Enterprise Day, Mar. 2, 6-8 p.m., Rozsa Center
- Fall Registration Begins March 13. Meet with your advisor soon! Registration begins March 13 for graduate students and undergraduates. seniors. Contact an advisor.
- Undergraduate Research Internship Program, applications due Mar. 25, 5 pm
- Graduate Research Colloquium, Mar. 29-30
- Walk-in COVID-19 Testing, Mon-Thur, 9 am-1 pm, Rozsa Center lower level
- Dean Livesay's Open Office Hours: Fridays, 2-3 pm, Rekhi 223. No appointments needed.
Lectures and Events
- Lecture Demo: Tony Dal Santo, Mar. 1, 11 am, Rekhi 214
- ICC Lecture: Dede Subakti, California ISO, Mar. 1, 3-4 p.m., Rekhi 217
- Lecture Demo: Serein Al-Ratrout, Mar. 3, 11 am, Rekhi 214
- ICC Lecture: Jason Engerman, East Stroudsburg University, Mar. 16, 2 pm, attend virtually
- CS Dept. Lecture: Emily Zhang (ECE/CS), Mar. 18, 3 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
- Computing[MTU] Showcase, Apr. 4-6, Rozsa Center
- CS Dept. Lecture: Hongyu An (ECE/CS), Apr. 8, 3 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
College and University News
Computing Learning Center
Stop by anytime from 2-5 pm and 7-10 pm, Sunday through Friday, and get the help you need for success in your computing courses. The Learning Center is in Rekhi 118. Discord server. CCLC coaches are also available via Zoom during lab walk-in hours.
- View the full Academic Calendar
- Friday, Mar 4, 10 pm, Spring Break Begins
- Sunday, Mar 13, 12 pm, Fall Registration Begins
- Monday, Mar 14, Classes Resume
- Sunday, Apr 3, 11:59 pm, Fall Registration Ends
- Friday, Apr 22, Last Day of Regular Classes
- Monday, Apr 25, Final Exam Period
- Saturday, Apr 30, Spring Commencement
Do you have news to share? To include information in The Weekly Download, email to email@example.com by12:00 noon on the Monday prior to the week you'd like it to run. Questions about the newsletter? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To subscribe to the Weekly Download, please send your name and email address to email@example.com.