What do you love about Computing[MTU]?
Austin Keene, 4th-year Computer Science/Game Development major
"I have a passion for tech, creativity, and finding solutions. I love the mental challenge that programming at MTU presents and the ability to work on various projects with my peers to conceive new ideas and bring them to fruition."
Share your quote and receive a Computing[MTU] t-shirt!
Volunteers Needed for Virtual Reality Research
Michigan Tech students, staff, and members of the community are invited to participate
in a perception experiment being conducted by faculty and students of the Department of Computer Science. The
experiments involve viewing and moving around in computer-generated “virtual reality”
environments or “real” environments and making perceptual judgments. Participants
will be compensated for their time. Interested? Email exp-signup-L@mtu.edu or visit pages.mtu.edu/~kuhl/
Aerospace Enterprise Fall Recruitment
The Michigan Tech Aerospace Enterprise is recruiting for Fall 2022. If you are interested in the design, testing, and integration of space systems, please join one of these two info sessions, in-person or via Google Meet.
- Info Session A: Mon., Feb. 28, 7-8 pm, MEEM 111
- Info Session B: Thur., Mar. 3, 7-8 pm, MEEM 111
Multiplanetary Innovations Enterprise (MINE) Recruitment
Are you interested in NASA’s Artemis mission? Subterranean, Lunar, or Mars Exploration? Or Robotics? Then the Multiplanetary Innovations Enterprise (MINE) is the place for you! MINE is a student-led group that is focused on giving students hands-on experience designing, building, and testing remotely operated vehicles to run in extreme environments, including an annual competition run by NASA. For more information, come to Enterprise Day on Weds., Mar. 2, or attend two info sessions on Tues., Mar. 1, and Weds., Mar. 16, both 6-7 pm, in ChemSci 101.
Research Posters for Computing[MTU] Showcase
Students from all majors and departments are encouraged to submit research posters for the Computing[MTU] Showcase, April 4-6. The poster walk/session takes place April 5. Prizes will be awarded in undergraduate and graduate categories.
Students do not need to be present at the event to enter a poster. Posters do not need to be unique to this event — those that have appeared or will appear elsewhere are welcome. Titles and abstracts are due Thur., Mar. 10. For more information contact Amanda Stump, email@example.com.
Undergraduate Research Internship Program
Pavlis Honors College is accepting applications for the 2022-23 Undergraduate Research Internship Program (URIP), which runs from September 2022 through mid-March 2023. Open to any undergraduate student on campus with an identified faculty research mentor. Deadline to apply is Fri., Mar. 25, 5 pm.
Computing Learning Center
Stop by anytime from 2-5 pm and 7-10 pm, Sunday through Friday, and get the help you need for success in your computing courses. The Learning Center is in Rekhi 118. Discord server. CCLC coaches are also available via Zoom during lab walk-in hours.
Student Events and Deadlines
- King-Chávez-Parks Future Faculty Fellowship application due Feb. 24, 4 pm.
- Graduate Research Colloquium, Mar. 29-30. Registration is open through Feb. 28, 11:59 pm.
- Portage Health Foundation Graduate Assistantship applications are due Mar. 1, 4 pm.
- Fall Registration Begins March 13. Meet with your advisor soon! Registration begins March 13 for graduate students and undergraduate seniors. Contact an advisor.
- Dean Livesay's Open Office Hours: Fridays, 2-3 pm, Rekhi 223. No appointment needed.
Lectures and Events
- Lecture Demo: Tony Dal Santo, Mar. 1, 11 am, Rekhi 214
- ICC Lecture: Dede Subakti, California ISO, Mar. 1, 3-4 pm, Rekhi 217
- Lecture Demo: Serein Al-Ratrout, Mar. 3, 11 am, Rekhi 214
- CS Dept. Lecture: Emily Zhang (ECE/CS), Mar. 18, 3 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
- Computing[MTU] Showcase, Apr. 4-6, Rozsa Center
- Philip Bourne, University of Virginia, April 5, 12:30 pm, MUB Ballroom A.
- CS Dept. Lecture: Hongyu An (ECE/CS), Apr. 8, 3 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
College and University News
- Spring Blood Drive, Feb. 22, 23. Donors receive a free shirt and $10 Amazon gift card while supplies last.
- Health and Safety Level One begins Feb. 25, 5 pm.
- Computing[MTU] Showcase, Apr. 4-6.
- Xinyu Lei Awarded $174.9K NSF Grant
- Leo Ureel Is PI of $599K NSF R and D Grant
- Michigan Tech Ranked in Top 20 for 10-year ROI
- View the full Academic Calendar
- Friday, Mar 4, 10 pm, Spring Break Begins
- Sunday, Mar 13, 12 pm, Fall Registration Begins
- Monday, Mar 14, Classes Resume
- Sunday, Apr 3, 11:59 pm, Fall Registration Ends
- Friday, Apr 22, Last Day of Regular Classes
- Monday, Apr 25, Final Exam Period
- Saturday, Apr 30, Spring Commencement
Do you have news to share? To include information in The Weekly Download, email to firstname.lastname@example.org by12:00 noon on the Monday prior to the week you'd like it to run. Questions about the newsletter? Please contact email@example.com.
To subscribe to the Weekly Download, please send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.