An Early Mainframe Computer at MTU
In 1973, the computing machine used by computer science students was a Univac 1110,
weighing hundreds of pounds. It had just 64K 36-bit words of "main" memory and 512K
36-bit words of "extended" memory (the equivalent of just over 2 megabytes).
A recent LinkedIn social media post about the Univac 1110 prompted dozens of alumni to share their memories of using the machine and about early computing at Michigan Tech. View the LinkedIn post and alumni comments here.
Computing Learning Center
Stop by anytime from 2-5 pm and 7-10 pm, Sunday through Friday, and get the help you need for success in your computing courses. The Learning Center is in Rekhi 118. CCLC coaches are also available via Zoom during lab walk-in hours. Discord server.
- Husky Connect Student Mentors program is looking for Huskies willing to give new students the value of their experiences. Mentors receive compensation. Apply here. Applications close Feb. 18, 5 p.m.
- SnP Lab Recruiting Undergraduate Research Assistants
- View on-campus Computer Science employment opportunities.
- View on-campus Applied Computing employment opportunities.
Student News and Opportunities
- Fall Registration Begins March 13: Meet with Your Advisor Soon! Registration begins March 13, 2022, for graduate students and undergraduate seniors.
- Grad Student Seeking Research Study Participants. Participate in an online study of the differences between in-person and remote academic teamwork environments. Earn a $20 gift card.
- Winter Wonderhack. The 36-hour event is hosted on-campus by the Humane Interface Design Enterprise (HIDE), February 18 to 20. All fields of study and experience levels are welcome. Register here.
- TechTogether's Chicago Chapter is hosting their first-ever virtual hackathon, Feb. 25-27, for people of marginalized genders of all ages. The event is free. Sign up here.
Workshops and Seminars
- Facilitating Difficult Conversations for Graduate Students. The in-person workshop, Feb. 2, 1-2:30 p.m., will provide information and practice for handling uncomfortable work and/or peer situations in a respectful and professional manner.
- Info Session: About the Graduate School. Learn more about graduate school. Jan. 27, 6:00 p.m., Zoom. Join the info session here.
Scholarships and Fellowships
- NSF CyberCorps Scholarships. Application deadline is Feb. 1.
- Applications Open: Summer 2022 Finishing Fellowships. Fellowships provide support to Ph.D. candidates who are close to completing their degrees. Deadline is Mar. 2, 4 p.m.
- 2022 SURF Fellowship. Application deadline is Feb. 11, 5 p.m.
- CareerFEST events, Feb. 1 and Feb. 7. A series of casual networking events and career development workshops.
- Spring 2022 Career Fair, virtual, Feb. 16.
Research Events and Opportunities
- Call for Abstracts: 2022 Undergraduate Research Symposium, Mar. 25. Abstract submissions due Feb. 7, 11:59 p.m.
- Registration Open for Graduate Research Colloquium. At the GRC, Mar. 29-30, showcase your research through oral presentations and/or posters. Registration closes Feb. 28, 11:59 p.m.
- Summer 2022 Portage Health Foundation Graduate Assistantships. Applications due Mar. 1, 4 p.m.
- TECH SCEnE Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU). The project teams students with mentors at Michigan Tech and the DNR at the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community. Deadline is Mar. 1. Program dates are June 3 to July 30.
- Computing[MTU] Showcase. Poster session, April 5; Pitch competition, Apr. 6; Application deadline is Mar. 10. Apply here.
Lectures and Events
- ICC Lecture: Michael Sacks, University of Texas, Feb. 7, 12 pm, Rekhi G005, or attend virtually.
- CS Dept. Lecture: Brian Yuan (AC/CS), Feb. 18, 3 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
- CS Dept. Lecture: Emily Zhang (ECE/CS), Mar. 18, 3 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
- Computing[MTU] Showcase, Apr. 4-6, Rozsa Center
- CS Dept. Lecture: Hongyu An (ECE/CS), Apr. 8, 3 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
- Monday, Jan 10, Instruction Begins
- Monday, Jan 17, Martin Luther King Day Recess
- Wednesday, Feb 9, 10 p.m., Winter Carnival Recess Begins
- Monday, Feb 14, Classes Resume
- Friday, Mar 4, 10 pm, Spring Break Begins
- Sunday, Mar 13, 12 pm, Fall Registration Begins
- Monday, Mar 14, Classes Resume
- Sunday, Apr 3, 11:59 pm, Fall Registration Ends
- Friday, Apr 22, Last Day of Regular Classes
- Monday, Apr 25, Final Exam Period
- Saturday, Apr 30, Spring Commencement
Do you have news to share? To include information in The Weekly Download, email to firstname.lastname@example.org by12:00 noon on the Monday prior to the week you'd like it to run. Questions about the newsletter? Please contact email@example.com.
To subscribe to the Weekly Download, please send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.