EV Scholars Kick-off Is Feb 1, 5 p.m.
Here’s a fantastic opportunity to learn more about the EV industry and EV-focused companies and careers, network with potential employers … and receive a $10,000 scholarship!
Juniors and seniors majoring in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Computer Network and System Administration, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, and related programs are especially encouraged to participate.
An EV Scholars kick-off info session will take place virtually on Feb. 1 at 5 p.m. Learn more. Add to your calendar. Link to the Zoom meeting.
CyberCorps Info Session
The CyberCorps: Scholarship for Service (SFS) Program at Michigan Tech is open for application now! Apply for the 2023 cohort by March 1, 2023. The CyberCorps team will host a student info session on Feb. 1, 5-6 p.m., in Rekhi 112 or online. All computing students (CS/SE, CNSA, Cybersecurity, EE/CE, and MIS) may apply for the scholarship. Students from non-computing disciplines, but with a strong interest in cybersecurity, may also apply. Learn more.
Graduate Student Town Hall
College of Computing Dean Dennis Livesay and department chairs Andy Duan and Dan Fuhrmann invite College of Computing graduate students to join a Town Hall-style meeting on Feb. 17, 3-4 p.m., Rekhi Hall, 214. The open discussion forum is intended as a platform for graduate students to raise and discuss issues of importance to them. Learn more.
Art in Silico: Call for Submissions
The inaugural Art in Silico is a computational art exhibition and event series that examines the expressive world of creative computation and the confluence of technology and art, connecting circuit board to canvas. Submissions are invited from all. The deadline to submit is March 3, 2023. Learn more.
Student News Briefs
Find more student news on the College of Computing student blog.
The Google Developer Student Club (GDSC) at UM-Dearborn is organizing a hackathon on their campus March 11-12, 2023. The event is open to all engineering and computer science students across the state. Learn more.
This week’s Networking and Computing Student Association (NCSA) meeting will feature Jacson Ott speaking on a variety of forms of remote access with illustrative use cases. The meeting is Jan. 31, 6 p.m., in Chem Sci 101. Learn more.
The 23rd Design Expo will be held in person from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on April 18 in the Library and the Memorial Union. Senior Design/Capstone projects and teams from across campus are invited and encouraged to participate. Registration closes on March 3, 2023. Learn more.
Netflix is accepting applications for summer 2023 paid internship positions. Internships at Netflix are typically a 12-week summer experience and a prime opportunity for college students to accelerate their careers by developing in-demand skills. Learn more.
Pavlis Honors College (PHC) is accepting applications to the Undergraduate Research Internship Program (URIP) for the 2023-24 academic year. The deadline to apply is March 24, 2023, by 5 p.m. Learn more.
McNair Scholars Program. Have you thought about going to grad school and not having to worry about student loans? Applications open soon for the first group of McNair Scholars. Info sessions are available online. Learn more.
More Student News
- All About the Pavlis Honors College, Jan. 31, 7-8:30 p.m.
- Graduate School Workshop: Let's Talk About it: Facilitating Difficult Conversations, Feb. 2, 2-4 p.m., Admin 404
- Entrepreneurship Panel Discussion, Feb. 1, 4 p.m., virtual
- International Students Forums, Feb. 2, 5 p.m., Library East Reading Room
- Graduate School Workshop: Submission and Formatting 101: Master the Dissertation, Thesis and Report Process"," Feb. 8, 2-4 p.m., virtual and in-person
- 2022-23 ICPC North Central NA Regional Contest is Feb. 2; NAQ (North American Qualifier) is Feb. 4.
- Call for Submissions: 2023 Undergraduate Research and Scholarship Symposium, due Feb. 14 by 11:59 p.m.
- Summer 2023 Portage Health Foundation (PHF) Graduate Assistantships applications
due no later than 4 p.m., Feb. 28.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Annual Award Program, submissions being accepted now.
Student Events and Deadlines
- Feb. 1 EV Scholar Kick-off and Info Session. 5 p.m., virtual
- Feb. 1 CyberCorps Scholarship for Service info session hosted by the MTU CyberCorps team 5-6 p.m., Rekhi 112 or Zoom
- Feb. 2 Intro to Web App Security, 4-5:30 p.m., Fisher 326
- Feb. 17 Graduate Student Town Hall, 3-4 p.m., Rekhi 214
- Feb. 21 Computing/ECE Career Fair Mixer, 4-5:30 p.m., Rozsa Center
College Lectures and Events
Mar. 24 CS Colloquium Lecture: Karem Sakallah, University of Michigan, 3-4 p.m., Rekhi 214 and virtual
Meet CCLC Coach Josh Overbeek
About me: I'm a third-year CS student from just south of Ann Arbor, Michigan. I enjoy programming
in Java, C++, C#, or whatever works best for a given project, as well as board games
and tabletop rpgs, video games, and reading. Beyond that, I'm also a third degree
black belt in tae kwon do and a FIRST alum/occasional mentor; I'm always happy to
talk about it.
Thoughts on CCLC coaching: I really love teaching, especially programming, and I think it's a great way to continue doing that and actually helping other students.
CS courses that I can help with: CS 1122, CS 1142, CS 2311, CS 2321, CS 3141, CS 3311, CS 3331, CS 3421, CS 3425
Computing Learning Center
Get the help you need. The College of Computing Learning Center (CCLC), on the first floor of Rekhi Hall, Room 118, is staffed by upper-level undergraduate students and supported by the College of Computing. The friendly CCLC coaches are available to help succeed in your computing courses. No appointments are necessary. Free. Open to all students taking computing classes. This fall, the Learning Center is open Sunday-Friday according to the schedule here.
- View the full Academic Calendar
- Wednesday, Feb 08, 10 p.m., Winter Carnival Recess Begins
- Monday, Feb 13, Classes Resume
- Friday, Mar 03, 10 p.m., Break Begins
- Sunday, Mar 12, 12 p.m., Fall Registration Begins
- Monday, Mar 13, Classes Resume
- Sunday, Apr 02, 11:59 p.m., Fall Registration Ends
- Friday, Apr 21, Last Day of Regular Classes
- Monday, Apr 24, Final Exam Period Begins
- Friday, Apr 28, Spring Semester Ends
- Friday, Apr 28, Spring Graduate Student Commencement
- Saturday, Apr 29, Spring Undergraduate Student Commencement
Do you have news to share? To include information in The Weekly Download, email to firstname.lastname@example.org by12:00 noon on the Monday prior to the week you'd like it to run. Questions about the newsletter? Please contact email@example.com.
To subscribe to the Weekly Download, please send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.