Student Events and Deadlines
- Deadline: ACM North America Qualifier (NAQ) Programming Contest, Jan. 19
- Info Session: CyberCorps: Scholarship for Service, Jan. 18, 5-6 pm, attend virtually
- Deadline: 2022-23 CyberCorps: Scholarship for Service applications, Feb. 1
- Info Session: 2022 SURF Fellowship, Jan. 18, 2-5 pm, attend virtually
- Deadline: 2022 SURF Fellowship applications due, Feb. 11, 5 pm
- Info Session: Engineering Ambassadors, Jan. 18, 7 pm, MEEM 303, attend virtually
- Husky Innovate Week 2022, Jan. 24-28,
- First Meeting: Engineering Ambassadors, Jan. 25, 7 pm, MEEM 303
- TechTogether Chicago Virtual Hackathon, Feb. 25-27, sign up
- Walk-in COVID-19 Testing, Mon-Thur, 9 am-1 pm, Rozsa Center lower level
- Dean Livesay's Open Office Hours: Fridays, 2-3 pm, Rekhi 223. No appointments needed.
Husky Innovate Events
- Husky Innovate, Jan. 24-28
- Bob Mark Business Model Boot Camp, Jan. 19, 5-7 pm, M&M U113, registration required.
- Regional Innovation and Entrepreneurship Panel Discussion, Jan. 24, 12-1 pm, Zoom, register by January 20
- Reverse Pitch Event with the Office of Innovation and Commercialization, Jan, 26, 4 pm, Zoom, register by Jan. 22
- Unboxed Challenge: Treasure Hunt with Jannah Tumey, Jan. 25, 5:30-6:30 pm, Wadsworth Hall, register by Jan. 21, 5 pm
- Husky Innovate talk with Dr. Colin Brooks: Developing the Cross-I System for Inspecting Railgrade Crossings, Jan. 26, 12-1 pm, Zoom, register by January 22
- Generation Zoom with Cassy Tefft de Muno, Jan. 27, 12:15-1:15 pm, MUB Ballroom A and Zoom, register by Jan. 21
- Bob Mark Business Model Pitch Competition, Jan. 27, 4-5 pm (mixer), 5-7 pm (competition), MUB Ballroom A or Zoom, contestant registration required by Jan. 21, audience registration
- Husky Innovate Talk with David Shull, Jan. 28, 12-1 pm, Zoom, register by Jan. 25
Lectures and Events
- ICC Lecture: Benjamin C. Lok, University of Florida, Jan. 20, 1 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
- ICC Lecture: Michael Sacks, University of Texas, Feb. 7, 12 pm, Rekhi G005, or attend virtually.
- CS Dept. Lecture: Brian Yuan (AC/CS), Feb. 18, 3 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
- ICC Lecture: Ajit Yoganathan, Georgia Tech, Feb. 21, 12 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
- CS Dept. Lecture: Emily Zhang (ECE/CS), Mar. 18, 3 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
- Computing[MTU] Showcase, Apr. 4-6, Rozsa Center
- CS Dept. Lecture: Hongyu An (ECE/CS), Apr. 8, 3 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
The College of Computing and the Institute of Computing and Cybersystems (ICC) invite undergraduate and graduate students to submit posters for the Computing[MTU] Showcase. The poster session will be held April 5, 2020, MUB Ballroom A, 3:45 to 5:00 p.m.
- Team or individual pitch competition sign-ups are also open.
- The pitch competition will be held April 6, 9:00 to 10:00 a.m., MUB ballrooms.
- Poster and pitch applications are open through March 10.
Application forms can be found on the ICC’s Computing[MTU] Showcase webpage.
- Questions can be directed to Amanda Stump at email@example.com.
TechTogether Virtual Hackathon
Are you ready to redefine the hacker stereotype? TechTogether's Chicago Chapter is hosting their first-ever virtual hackathon, February 25-27, 2022, for people of marginalized genders of all ages. This is an amazing opportunity for students to network with companies like Microsoft and Capital One, explore different career paths in tech, and learn new coding skills. The event is free to attend. Download an info sheet. Sign up.
Summer IoT Undergraduate Research Opportunity
The Florida Atlantic University's Institute for Sensing and Embedded Network Systems Engineering (I-SENSE) hosts an intensive summer research program in sensing and smart systems
for talented undergraduates from across the country. Projects will focus on Infrastructure
Systems, Marine and Environment, and Health and Behavior.
The nine-week program emphasizes training, mentoring, and research, preparing students for graduate studies or careers in science, technology, engineering, or math disciplines. Workdays typically run from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Participants stay in on-campus housing and earn $600/week plus a weekly meal allowance. Download an info sheet.
How to be an Effective GTA/GTI
Do you ever find yourself wondering how to be an effective graduate teaching assistant (GTA) or graduate teaching instructor (GTI)? The Professional Development Committee at Graduate Student Government will be hosting Michael Meyer as a speaker for our “How to be an Effective GTA/GTI” seminar. Meyer is the director of the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) at MTU and he teaches a course about this very thing, so don’t miss this invaluable material! Register to attend.
College of Computing Learning Center
Everyone needs help sometimes. The Learning Center, on the first floor of Rekhi Hall, is open to ALL students enrolled in computing classes, and it's FREE! Stop by anytime from 2-5 pm and 7-10 pm, Sunday through Friday, and get the help you need for success in your computing courses.
- CCLC webpage
- Discord server
- Canvas page: self-registration
- Canvas page link
COVID Testing and Vaccination
It’s important that all campus community members work together with a heightened sense of understanding and flexibility during this time. Please get tested if you experience any COVID-19 symptoms, and follow CDC protocols if you test positive or are identified as a close contact. If you have yet to receive the vaccine or are considering receiving a booster shot, we encourage you to do so.
On-campus COVID-19 testing takes place in the Rozsa Center basement each week, Monday through Thursday, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. An online consent form is active Monday through Thursday and can be filled out at any time between 8:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. on the day you plan to receive a test.
View the full Academic Calendar
Wednesday, Feb 9, 10 p.m., Winter Carnival Recess Begins
Monday, Feb 14, Classes Resume
Friday, Mar 4, 10 pm, Spring Break Begins
Sunday, Mar 13, 12 pm, Fall Registration Begins
Monday, Mar 14, Classes Resume
Sunday, Apr 3, 11:59 pm, Fall Registration Ends
Friday, Apr 22, Last Day of Regular Classes
Monday, Apr 25, Final Exam Period
Saturday, Apr 30, Spring Commencement
Do you have news to share? To include information in The Weekly Download, email to firstname.lastname@example.org by12:00 noon on the Monday prior to the week you'd like it to run. Questions about the newsletter? Please contact email@example.com.
To subscribe to the Weekly Download, please send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.