Management Information Systems (MIS)—BS
Mind For Business, Heart for Technology
If you love technology, enjoy working with people, and are interested in business processes and management, a degree in management information systems (MIS) may be the perfect option for you.
MIS specialists provide a vital and unique role in our modern businesses world. They provide technological support within companies and organizations, working directly with people to solve problems and create solutions. As an MIS professional, you could oversee network security, direct Internet operations, or develop and manage IT projects. Our program will give you the solid hands-on experiences and professional education to prepare you well for this growing job market.
About the Program: The Michigan Tech Advantage
Studying management information systems at a university with prominent technology, engineering, and science programs is a real value. You’ll benefit from Michigan Tech’s unique cross-discipline collaboration and gain the experience you need to build an amazing résumé.
- With a wide range of courses in programming, usability, network administration, entrepreneurship, graphic and information design, technical and professional communication, finance, and marketing, you’ll be well prepared for all aspects of a professional MIS position.
- Gain real-world experience through peer collaboration with our senior-level Business Development Experience—you could have the opportunity to develop and present a business plan for a Senior Design or Enterprise project.
- Take an internship or co-op to gain even more real-world experience—our students are highly sought by top automotive, IT, engineering, and financial companies; nonprofit organizations; and government agencies.
- The Silicon Valley Spring Break experience is a one-of-a-kind trip available exclusively to School of Business and Economics students. Travel to the heart of the tech business world, tour top-level companies like Google and Cisco, meet with successful entrepreneurs, and more.
- Get involved with student organizations that fit your interests and offer great résumé experience, such as the Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP) or IT Oxygen, our student-run Enterprise team that focuses on providing information systems and technology solutions for real clients.
Employment in the MIS field is expected to grow at a rate faster than the average for all other occupations through the year 2016, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Our program will prepare you to meet the need.
What can I do with a management information systems degree?
- Business systems analyst
- Client server support specialist
- Systems programmer
- Software engineer
- Software developer
- Management analyst
- Network administrator
- Billing and coding supervisor
- Specialist data network analyst
Where have our graduates found work?
- BNSF Railway
- BOSS Snowplow
- Cedar Rapids/Iowa City Technology Corridor
- Heartland Business Systems
- Stryker Instruments
- Compuware Corporation
- Department of Defense
- Ford Motor Company
- General Dynamics