How is Accounting at Michigan Tech Different?
Students benefit from studying accounting at a leading STEM university through cross-disciplinary application led by nationally recognized professors. Accounting in the School of Business and Economics goes beyond teaching procedures to focus on the knowledge and skills required to solve real problems for high-tech organizations. Michigan Tech accounting graduates are uniquely positioned to audit technologically based companies.
What You Need to Know
BS students who plan to sit for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam can earn the required 150 credit hours by completing an Accelerated Master of Science in Accounting in one additional year of study (four years undergraduate plus one year graduate). An MS in accounting paired with a CPA has the highest job and salary potential within the accounting field.
Small Enough to Care, Large Enough to Lead:
- Michigan Tech accounting students get résumé experience by joining Kappa Sigma Iota, Michigan Tech’s accounting club. Students have opportunities to travel to regional and national competitions sponsored by organizations such as the Institute of Management Accountants and the Association of International Certified Professional Accountants, or go on University-sponsored trips to visit firms in Chicago and Minneapolis.
- Open to Michigan Tech students of all majors, the Applied Portfolio Management Program (APMP)—one of the top 50 student funds in the nation—gives students real-world experience on the trading room floor by investing more than $1.5 million of real money.
- The Silicon Valley Spring Break Experience is a one-of-a-kind trip available exclusively to School of Business and Economics students. Huskies travel to the heart of the tech business world, tour companies like Google and Cisco, and meet with successful entrepreneurs, including Michigan Tech alumni.
- The spirit of entrepreneurism is alive on Innovation Shore. Business students have the opportunity to gain real-world experience on campus through peer collaboration with our senior-level Business Development Experience, developing and presenting a business plan for a Senior Design or Enterprise project.
Create the Future with Careers in:
- Data analytics
- Data visualization
- Business and asset valuation
- Financial analysis and reporting
- Internal and external auditing
- Professional consulting
- Strategic cost management
- Systems analysis
Huskies Get Hired By:
- Commercial Bank of China
- Department of Justice
- Ernst & Young
- Ford Motor Company
- Fortune 500 management teams
- Grant Thornton
- Internal Revenue Service
- International, regional, and local CPA firms
- State Farm Insurance
- US Bank
Crazy Smart Opportunities and Experiences
Kappa Sigma Lota, the Michigan Tech student accounting organization, designed and implemented the annual Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to assist with income tax returns for low-income families and students who couldn’t otherwise afford to hire a CPA.
"Accounting at Michigan Tech is in a small enough environment where I can easily get to know my professors, but is large enough to provide me growth and opportunities."