BS with Major in Accounting
A Degree That Really Adds Up
Accounting is often referred to as “the 360-degrees of freedom” degree because it’s got so many career applications—from financial budgeting to IRS enforcement to auditing and beyond. The increasing complexity of today’s corporate environment and financial markets presents accountants with a constant challenge—to provide accurate, transparent, understandable financial information and advice to managers and investors. At Michigan Tech, you’ll gain the advanced accounting knowledge to be able to tackle this challenge head on.
About the Program: The Michigan Tech Advantage
Studying accounting at a university with prominent technology, engineering, and science programs is a real value. You’ll benefit from Michigan Tech’s unique cross-discipline collaboration and gain the experience you need to build an amazing résumé.
- Our program teaches much more than accounting procedures. You’ll gain advanced knowledge and skills to help solve real problems for real organizations.
- Gain real-world experience through peer collaboration with our senior-level Business Development Experience—you could have the opportunity to develop and present a business plan for a Senior Design or Enterprise project.
- Our undergraduate accounting courses are rigorous and meet or exceed all academic requirements for CPAs in Michigan.
- The Silicon Valley Spring Break experience is a one-of-a-kind trip available exclusively to School of Business and Economics students. Travel to the heart of the tech business world, tour top-level companies like Google and Cisco, meet with successful entrepreneurs, and more.
- Get involved with student organizations that fit your interests and offer great résumé experience, such as the Finance Club, Entrepreneurs Club, and Kappa Sigma Iota, Michigan Tech’s accounting and finance group.
The US Department of Labor Statistics expects career opportunities in accounting to grow up to 26 percent by 2014—on top of the multitude of positions and applications already available to graduates in this field.
What can I do with an accounting degree?
- Brand analysis
- Financial analysis
- Financial reporting
- Managerial accounting
- Internal and external auditing
- Marketing management
- Real estate development
- Systems analysis
- Retail management
Where have our graduates found work?
- Department of Defense
- DTE Energy
- Lake Accounting
- Liberty Mutual Group
- Commercial Bank of China
- State Farm Insurance
- Ford Motor Company
- International, regional, and local CPA firms
- Law firms
- Fortune 500 management teams
Undergraduate Student Learning Goals
Per the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), assessment of student learning is critical to the continuous improvement of our academic program. To develop a strong assessment, the School of Business and Economics established seven student learning goals all SBE undergraduates should achieve by graduation: These learning goals were designed to align with the SBE's mission statement. We emphasize direct, embedded assessment of student work in our courses. As part of our overall curriculum management, these assessment results enable us to identify opportunities to improve courses and curricula, and teaching practices.
- Critical Analysis
- Technical Competence
- Ethical Awareness
- Team Work
- Effective Communication
- Global Leadership
- Disciplinary Knowledge