- Assistant Professor of Economics, School of Business and Economics
- Ph.D Economics, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- B.A. Economics, Hansraj College, University of Delhi, Delhi, India
Dr. Latika Gupta specializes in the field of energy economics and the macroeconomy. Before joining Michigan Tech, she taught at Emory University. Currently she is researching the demand and supply side effects of oil markets. She examines the impact of demand and supply shocks in the crude oil market on industrial production in the US and other OECD countries (as opposed to treating oil price shocks as exogenous). Her work examines the functional form & structural stability of the relationship between oil prices and the economy using disaggregated data. Her research agenda includes the effect of oil prices on labor markets; role of energy policy; and effects of steel prices on the economy. In addition to energy economics, she has presented and written papers in areas of economics education, worked on an inter-disciplinary research project on bottled water use in Mexico, and co-authored a white paper describing the results and conclusions from an NSF funded food-energy-water nexus workshop at Michigan Tech. Frequently she presents new research at economics meetings and conferences, and has published her research in Macroeconomic Dynamics and Journal of International Money and Finance.
Links of Interest
- Energy Economics
- Economic Forecasting
- Money and Banking
- Energy and the Macroeconomy
- Applied Time Series Econometrics
- International Economics
- Inventory Studies
- Business Fluctuations and Cycles
- Mayer A, Gupta, L, Eastmond A, & Herrera-Cruz A, In Review. “Analysis of drinking water supply choices in a rural community in the Yucatan, Mexico reveals bottled water consumption is related to distrust of tap water”.
- Watkins D,..., Gupta L et al. (2016) “Coupled Production-Consumption Systems for Climate Change Mitigation: Designing Equitable Food, Energy, and Water Conservation Strategies", NSF White Paper (grant #1541816).
- Herrera AM, Lagalo LG & Wada T, (2015) “Asymmetries in the Response of Economic Activity to Oil Price Increases and Decreases?”, Journal of International Money and Finance, Vol. 50, pp. 108-133.
- Herrera AM, Lagalo LG & Wada T, (2011) “Oil Price Shocks and Industrial Production: Is the Relationship Linear?”, Macroeconomic Dynamics 15 (Suppl. 3), 472–497.