- Academic Office Building 127
- Associate Professor of Economics, College of Business
- PhD, Economics, Kansas State University
- MBA, Business Administration, Kansas State University
- Licenciatura, Corporate Management, Universidade de Coimbra (Portugal)
Emanuel Xavier-Oliveira is an economist with specializations in macroeconomics, international economics, and econometrics. Prior to his doctoral studies, he worked in Portugal as a consultant for public and private projects funded by the European Commission, and as an EU-certified instructor of innovation management and business internationalization.
Dr. Xavier-Oliveira's research agenda has focused on interdisciplinary issues related to economic growth and institutional frameworks, such as barriers to technological adoption, entrepreneurship, foreign direct investment, intellectual property rights, and the informal economy. His publications have received awards attributed by the scientific community (e.g. 2017 ASAC Paper Award, 2015 Human Relations Top 10 Papers of the Year, and 2012 GIKA/JBR Paper Award). Dr. Xavier-Oliveira serves on the editorial review board of the International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal and is an ad hoc reviewer for several publications and conferences.
Dr. Xavier-Oliveira actively collaborates with students engaged in national competitions, entrepreneurial activities, graduate studies, and student associations. In 2013, he received Michigan Tech’s Student Organization Advisor of the Year award for his service to the Finance Club. In 2016 and 2019 he served as faculty advisor to the winning teams of the iOme Challenge, a national essay competition on the US retirement system. Since 2018, Dr. Xavier-Oliveira is the director of the Western UP Economic Outlook Report, a study of local counties elaborated by student members of the Economics Club at Michigan Tech and College of Business faculty.
- Monetary Theory and Policy
- International Economics
- Economic Decision Analysis
- Barriers to technological adoption
- Institutions and regulation
- Informal economy
- Growth and development
- Castro Oliveira, E. M. R. (working paper). The Socioeconomic Context of Entrepreneurship. Lanham, MD, USA: Lexington Books, Rowman & Littlefield.
- Castro Oliveira, E. M. R. (working paper). How Institutions Moderate the Impact of Economic Inequality on Entrepreneurship. Small Business Economics.
- Castro Oliveira, E. M. R. (working paper). Impact of Natural Resources Endowment on Entrepreneurship Rate.
- Castro Oliveira, E. M. R. (working paper). International Index of Barriers to Technological Adoption.
- Castro Oliveira, E. M. R., & Laplume, A. O. (working paper). Union Density and Entrepreneurship. Journal of Business Venturing.
- Xavier-Oliveira, E., Min, J., Goble, S., Ruf, J., Gockenbach, N. Peppin, C., Gedda, N., Stoffer, N. (2018). 2018 KHOB Economic Outlook Report. Economics Club at Michigan Tech and School of Business and Economics. Houghton, MI
- Pathak, S., Xavier-Oliveira, E., Laplume, A. O. (2016) “Technology use and availability in entrepreneurship: informal economy as moderator of institutions in emerging economies” in Journal of Technology Transfer, 41(3): 506-529, Springer.
- Rawashdeh, R.A., Xavier-Oliveira, E., Maxwell, P. (2016) "The potash market and its future prospects" in Resources Policy, 47(March): 154-163, Elsevier.
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., Xavier-Oliveira, E (2016) "Informal institutions and technology use by entrepreneurs: An empirical study across 18 emerging markets" in International Journal of Emerging Markets, 11(1): 57-71, Emerald. Finalist, Best Paper Award, 2012 Academy of International Business Conference (Fort Lauderdale, USA).
- Xavier-Oliveira, E, Laplume, A. O., Pathak, S. (2015) "What motivates entrepreneurial entry under economic inequality? The role of human and financial capital." in Human Relations 68(7): 1183-1207, Sage. 2015 Top 10 Best Papers of the Year in Human Relations.
- Laplume, A. O., Xavier-Oliveira, E., Dass, P., Thakur, R. C. (2015) "The organizational advantage in early inventing and patenting: Empirical evidence from interference proceedings." in Technovation 43-44: 40-48, Elsevier.
- Pathak, S., Xavier-Oliveira, E., Laplume, A. O. (2015) "Inbound foreign direct investment and domestic entrepreneurial activity" in Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 27(5-6): 334-356, Taylor & Francis.
- Pathak, S., Xavier-Oliveira, E., Laplume, A. O. (2015) "Entrepreneurship in transition economies: the role of corruption and individual attributes" in Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies 17(4): 427-446, Taylor & Francis.
- Laplume, A. O., Pathak, S., and Xavier-Oliveira, E. (2014)."The Politics of Intellectual Property Rights Regimes" in Technovation. 34(12): 807-816, Elsevier.
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., and Xavier-Oliveira, E. (2014). “Opportunity Recognition, Intellectual Property Rights, Barriers to Technological Adoption and Technology Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies: A Multilevel Analysis”, International Journal of Economics and Business Research, 7(2):130-158, InderScience.
- Pathak, S., Xavier-Oliveira, E., and Laplume, A. O. (2013). "Influence of intellectual property, foreign investment, and technological adoption on technology entrepreneurship."Journal of Business Research, 66(10): 2090-2101. Best Paper Award, 2012 Global Innovation and Knowledge Academy Conference (Valencia, Spain).
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., and Xavier-Oliveira, E. (2013). "A Multi-level Empirical Study of Ethnic Diversity and Shadow Economy as Moderators of Opportunity Recognition and Entrepreneurial Entry in Transition Economies". Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies, 15(3): 240-259. Taylor & Francis.
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., and Emanuel Xavier-Oliveira. (2012). “Inward foreign direct investment: Does it enable or constrain domestic technology entrepreneurship”. Columbia FDI Perspectives, No. 84, December 3, Columbia University.
- Cassou, Steven P. and Emanuel Xavier de Oliveira. (2011). “Barriers to Technological Adoption in Spain and Portugal”. Portuguese Economic Journal, 10(3): 189-209, Springer.