- Academic Office Building G024
- Professor of Accounting, College of Business
- PhD in Manufacturing Management and Engineering, concentration in Manufacturing Cost Accounting, University of Toledo
- MBA, concentrations in Manufacturing Management and Accounting, University of Notre Dame
- BSBA, concentration in Accounting, Duquesne University
After receiving his undergraduate degree in accounting, Robert worked within the corporate finance organizations of two Fortune 500 corporations as a cost analyst, plant controller, financial auditor, corporate security auditor, and operations auditor. As an MBA student at the University of Notre Dame, he received a fellowship to work as a research assistant, which prompted his interest in scholarly research. He completed his PhD at the University of Toledo, focusing on the dynamics of cost accounting system design and production strategies. Prior to joining Michigan Tech, Robert has held academic positions at Oakland University and the University of Detroit Mercy.
- Managerial accounting
- Cost accounting
- Cost accounting system design
- Transfer pricing
- Industrial dynamics
- Inamanamelluri, T., Hutchinson, R., & Bernacchi, M. (2019). Intangible Asset Values and Tobin's Q: Quantifying Brand Equity. Journal of Accounting and Finance, 19(6).
- Hutchinson, R. (2019). Culture versus structure: a critical perspective on the role of culture in tax evasion. Accounting Historians Journal, 46(1).
- Kobori, K., & Hutchinson, R. (2017). Main banks influence on financial reporting quality in Japan. Applied Economics. Published.
- Kobori, K., & Hutchinson, R. (2015). The Influence of External Auditors, Capital Markets, and Main Banks on Earnings Manipulations: Evidence from Japan. Journal of Accounting and Finance, 15(8).
- "Cost Accounting and Simulation: Towards a Post-Structuralist Understanding”, Advances in Management Accounting, Vol. 22 (2013)
- “Death and Taxes: Auto Dealers Face Their Final Reckoning”, International Journal of Business and Social Research, with Joseph Pia, Vol. 2, No. 5 (2012)
- “A Conceptual Framework for Prototyping Outsourcing in New Product Development: A Knowledge-Based View”, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol. 21, No. 5 (2010) with Ying Liao and Kun Liao
- “Quantifying the Impact of Cost Accounting System Design on Manufacturing Performance: A Simulation Approach”, Advances in Management Accounting, Vol.18 (2010)
- “Zen Accounting: How Japanese Management Accounting Practice Supports Lean Management”, Management Accounting Quarterly, with Kun Liao, Vol. 11, No. 1 (2009)