Power systems. Energy generation. Industrial controls.
Find your in-demand career path in Michigan Tech’s lab-based learning environment. Average starting salary: $72,600—with 99 percent job placement.
Electrical engineers lead communications, signal processing, electronics, computing, and control. They design systems that generate and distribute reliable electrical power. Focus your studies on biomedical applications, environmental applications, or photonics—the use and study of light.
Work with lasers, microprobes, and robots alongside faculty members. Collaborate with industry on student Enterprise and Senior Design teams to design and develop products. Couple your engineering knowledge with entrepreneurial, business, and professional skills—and attend one of the nation’s biggest Career Fairs.
Be Ready for What Tomorrow Needs:
- Research and develop the mechanical workings of exoskeletons in the Robotic Systems Enterprise.
- Use industrial-grade programmable logic controllers in the state-of-the-art Nucor Industrial Control and Automation Laboratory.
- Design, create, and troubleshoot your own circuit boards.
- Join the student chapter of IEEE and gaining access to the student project labs with equipment like oscilloscopes, function generators, soldering equipment, and more.
Create the Future with Careers In:
- Controls engineering
- Electronics design engineering
- Project engineering
- Systems test engineering
Huskies Get Hired By:
- Black & Veatch
- FANUC Robotics America
- Mayo Clinic
"I love electrical engineering because of Maxwell's equations. I discovered electromagnetism in high school and ever since then I've been hooked. I like the symmetry between the electric and magnetic field the most."
Customize your Degree:
Concentrations available in:
- Biomedical Applications
- Electric Power Engineering
- Environmental Applications
Focus areas available in:
- Digital Systems
- Power and Energy
- Signal Processing
You can also earn a master’s in one additional year through the Accelerated Master’s program.
Take Courses Like:
- Programmable Logic Devices
- Digital Electronics
- Real-time Robotics Systems
- Wireless Communications