English Proficiency Test Score Requirements
All international undergraduate applicants are required to show proof of English language proficiency to be considered for direct admission to a degree program. At this time, an ESL program is not offered. The following tests are all accepted, but you only need to submit one test score:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): minimum 550 PBT, 79 iBT (paper-based, internet-based). Our institution code is 1464 for requesting official scores be sent electronically to Michigan Tech directly from ETS.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): minimum 6.5 overall band score (minimum 6.0 on speaking and writing portion). Contact your testing center to get the official scores sent to Michigan Tech. We use the IELTS electronic results service; while there is no institution code, the account name is Michigan Technological University - Undergraduate Admissions.
- SAT: minimum 510 evidence-based reading and writing. Our institution code is 1464 for requesting official scores be sent electronically to Michigan Tech directly from the College Board.
- ACT: minimum 18 on both the English and reading sections. Our institution code is 2030 for requesting official scores be sent electronically to Michigan Tech directly from the ACT.
- Pearson Test of English: 53
Who is exempt from this requirement?
Applicants from certain countries of origin do not need to submit an English proficiency test score: see the list of Exempt Countries.
If you have studied in a United States high school or college, the requirement may also be waived. A waiver decision will be made once your official transcripts are received.