The Performance Management Process provides a formal assessment of employee job performance on an annual basis for all staff (non-faculty, non-union). The process is intended to help employees understand their roles and expectations, continue to grow, learn, and develop, and support the continuous improvement of Michigan Tech.
The Performance Management Process consists of four phases annually: performance planning, mid-year status check-in, year-end employee self-assessment, and year-end supervisor review.
What is my role as a supervisor? As an employee?
- Together set performance goals (SMART goals), employee development opportunities and/or development goals, and any resource or support needs to successfully achieve goals. Record this on the Performance Management Process Form.
Mid-Year Status Check-in
- Formal check-in between the employee and supervisor to review status of performance goals and development plan, noting any modifications or status notes on the Performance Management Process Form.
Year-End Employee Self-Assessment
- Employee provide details and examples of how performance goals were achieved as well as details and examples of accomplishments outside of set performance goals on the Performance Management Process Form.
Year-End Supervisor Review
- Supervisor reviews performance goals, development plan, mid-year status remarks, and employee’s self assessment.
- Supervisor assesses each performance goal and the employee’s overall employee performance, rates overall performance, and provides comments on the Performance Management Process Form.
- Completed form is shared/discussed with employee.
- Supervisor submits completed form to Human Resources via campus mail or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission Requirements and Timeline
2014-15 Performance Management Cycle
By November 2014—Performance Planning complete
By April 2015—Mid-Year Review complete
By September 2015 —Year-End Employee Self-Assessment complete
By October 15, 2015—Year-End Supervisor Review complete
By October 15, 2015—Supervisors must submit the completed Performance Management Process Forms to email@example.com.
Resources and Materials
- Performance Management Presentation September 2014
- Performance Management Form
- University Competency Model
- SMART Goal Questionnaire
- Job Description Template
Any questions related to this process can be directed to the Human Resources Employment Services at 906-487-2280.