Updated Performance Management form coming soon! Please establish goals for the 2021-2022 cycle utilizing the outdated performance management form, Google Doc, or documentation of your choosing until the new form is provided.
The Performance Management Process provides a formal assessment of employee job performance on an annual basis for all staff (non-faculty, non-union). The process is intended to help employees understand their roles and expectations, continue to grow, learn, and develop, and support the continuous improvement of Michigan Tech.
The Performance Management Process consists of four phases annually: performance planning, mid-year status check-in, year-end employee self-assessment, and year-end supervisor review.
What is my role as a supervisor? As an employee?
- Together set performance goals (SMART goals), employee development opportunities and/or development goals, and any resource or support needs to successfully achieve goals. Record this on the Performance Management Process Form.
Mid-Year Status Check-in
- Formal check-in between the employee and supervisor to review status of performance goals and development plan, noting any modifications or status notes on the Performance Management Process Form.
Year-End Employee Self-Assessment
- Employee provide details and examples of how performance goals were achieved as well as details and examples of accomplishments outside of set performance goals on the Performance Management Process Form.
Year-End Supervisor Review
- Supervisor reviews performance goals, development plan, mid-year status remarks, and employee’s self assessment.
- Supervisor assesses each performance goal and the employee’s overall employee performance, rates overall performance, and provides comments on the Performance Management Process Form.
- Completed form is shared/discussed with employee.
- Supervisor submits completed form to Human Resources via campus mail or via email to email@example.com.
Submission Requirements and Timeline
2020 - 2021 Performance Management (Shortened) Cycle
By November 2020—Performance Planning complete
By March 2021 —Year-End Employee Self-Assessment complete
By April 14, 2021—Year-End Supervisor Review complete
By April 14, 2021—Supervisors must submit the completed Performance Management Process Forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources and Materials
*The 2020-2021 Performance Management cycle began October 1, 2020 and will end April 14, 2021. This will allow for the recommended change to April 15 – April 14 starting with the 2021-2022 cycle.
With the current shortened cycle, there was no mid-year check in. Disregard the midyear review section on the current form. Instead supervisors will need to meet with employees and complete year end forms by April 14, 2021.
Any questions related to this process can be directed to Human Resources Employment Services at 906-487-2280.