Welcome to Michigan Tech! Starting graduate school is exciting, but it can also be a source of anxiety. To make the transition as simple as possible, the Graduate School has compiled a brief list of important information for new students. Please review the following to become aware of important timelines and the tools and resources available to international students at Tech.
Before You Get Here Checklist
- MTU Email is used for all official communication
- Registering for classes
- Paying your student bill | Financial Information
- Your Michigan Tech ID: Tech Express
- View online orientation materials
- Make sure to submit your final proof of degree(s) to the Graduate School and any other official required documents that you did not submit with your application.
What To Do Your First Semester
Academic and Policy Information
- Campus Inventors and Entrepreneurs—learn about the resources available to our inventors
- Degree Requirements
- External Funding Opportunities—write proposals to support your education
- Grades issued by Michigan Tech
- J.R. Van Pelt and Opie Library
- Policies—Graduate School | University
- Required Student Disclosures
- Theses and Dissertations—Reports
- Timeline and Forms
International Student Resources
Our office is happy to help with any questions that you may have as you are planning your arrival on campus. The following tips and links provide some useful information to assist in your transition to campus:
- Do you need to provide proof of funding? Complete our Certification of Finances Form.
- Provide the Graduate School with a copy of your passport to ensure that your I-20 or DS-2019 is processed correctly.
- Pay your Sevis Fee and schedule your visa appointment as soon as possible if you have not already done so.
- The University recommends the following immunizations prior to your arrival:
- Meningococcus vaccine
- Tetanus/ Diphtheria (a primary series and a booster within the last ten years)
- Measles vaccine (two doses) or Measles/Mumps/Rubella (MMR)
- Varicella vaccine, if you have not had chickenpox
- Hepatitis A & B vaccine (three doses)
- Complete a Transfer Form if you are already in the US and transferring from another university. You will NOT need to pay a new Sevis Fee.
- Submit your arrival information on MyMichiganTech to notify International Programs and Services (IPS) of your travel plans.
- Check in with IPS upon your arrival to campus.
- Do you have a Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA)? Register for the language assessment and GLAS.
- Do you want practice with your oral communication skills? Register for GLAS.
- Know more about the climate when you are deciding what to pack.
Who to go to for Help
- Student Mental Health and Well-being Services—help with mental health, and well-being
- Conflict Resolution Network—access to Michigan Tech resources
- Report a Concern—send a concern to a staff member for assistance
- Graduate School staff—answer questions regarding your progress
- Multiliteracies Center—help with writing, resumes, presentations and more
- Public Safety and Police Services—report a crime, store a weapon, find emergency information
- Student Health Insurance—answer questions regarding health insurance
- Title IX coordinator—facilitates an environment free from prejudicial discrimination or harassment
- University Ombuds—provides Informal conflict mediation services
Technology and Tools at Tech
- Canvas—Access course materials | Get help from Instructure| Get help from the Jackson Center for Teaching and Learning
- IT Resources for Graduate Students
- Software Distribution Center —Download software available to students (requires MTU ISO ID and password)
- E-mail, Email lists, Calendars, and Collaboration
- Google Apps—Gmail | Drive | Sites | Google+
- Google Calendar—View and Subscribe | Schedule a meeting
- Library resources for graduate students
- Plagiarism detection software—Examine your documents for plagiarism (requires MTU ISO ID and password)
Get to Know the Local Area and Get Involved!
There are activities and events throughout the year, both on campus and throughout the community:
- Experience Tech!
- Join in on campus! Student Life | Student Leadership and Involvement | Student Organizations
- Get to know the local area: Keweenaw Convention & Visitors Bureau | Houghton | Hancock
- Campus parking: Zipcars available to rent and shuttle service provided during the week.
- Local transportation: Houghton Motor Transit Line | City of Hancock Public Transit